---> What now? Reflections as the season approaches ...

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1314992679' post='1025013']

Nah you can rip it up and sign a new one whenever I think... Not an expert, but they do it with tagged players who have "signed tender"... Which is just a contract.
[/quote]

I have found it stated a couple of places that you can't redo a contract within 12 months...but not from a reliable source. If I have time, I'll look some more.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1314994414' post='1025034']

I dunno BJ... Sands has looked kind of lost out there.. I know you have a tendency to obsess over physical attributes, but football is more than how your body is put together.

I don't think someone would steal Sands.. They would have to put him on the 53 man list... I think he is too raw...
[/quote]
They would. Miles,too. I've been going to team websites checking out their depth charts. The safety position leaves a lot to be desired on a LOT of teams,e.g., the Patriots,Colts, Browns,Steelers,Dolphins. Believe me, very few teams have three backup safeties with the size,speed,athleticism and headknocking talents of Mays,Miles.and Sands. They are young, but all have huge upsides which can only be realized with game experience. Sure, Sands may look lost at times, but he's a rookie and was an early draft entry to boot. The Bengals knew that when they drafted him. You don't think some team would grab Sands for their 4th or 5th safety and keep him as an investment for the future who could be an ace special teamer right now? Who thought the Buccaneers would steal Corey Lynch? Sands,Miles and Mays are part of the future of this team. Gibril Wilson has been a good player, but he's 30 -yrs old and, at best, a temporary answer for a team with nothing much behind their starters. When the Bengals signed him, they had yet to acquire Nelson or any of the three young guys. They simply don't need Wilson anymore. In a year or two he will be gone, and we will be wishing they kept Mays,Sands, AND Miles.

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1314994414' post='1025034']

I dunno BJ... Sands has looked kind of lost out there.. I know you have a tendency to obsess over physical attributes, but football is more than how your body is put together.

I don't think someone would steal Sands.. They would have to put him on the 53 man list... I think he is too raw...
[/quote]
Sands has been lost at times, but he is a rookie with huge upside. No way he gets cut imo. They talked about him on Bengals pregame show last night. Said someone for sure would grab him right away if cut. Plus they said the Bengals really like him so I don't see him going anywhere

[quote name='Cricket' timestamp='1315003230' post='1025100']

I have found it stated a couple of places that you can't redo a contract within 12 months...but not from a reliable source. If I have time, I'll look some more.
[/quote]

[url="http://www.scribd.com/doc/29535564/Nfl-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-2006-2012"]http://www.scribd.co...ement-2006-2012[/url]

page 135: [copy and paste kept blowing up, so I typed this in...sorry for any typos]

[quote]
The contract of a Veteran Player may not be renegotiated to increase the Salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve (12) months after the player's most recent contract renegotiation. The first renegotiation of a Veteran Player Contract , however, may take place at any time.[/quote]

Interesting that is says "for a period of 12 months after the player's most recent contract [u][b][size=5]re[/size][/b][/u]negotiation". Assuming I understand this correctly: Since the Bengals signed them as free agents, I think that we could go ahead and extend Howard and Lawson. And if not, then we could go ahead and extend them, but couldn't increase the salary for the current season.

Of course that could have changed with the new CBA.

I do have to say though, I've truly enjoyed watching the 2011 version of the Bengals play.. Namely the 1st team Offense and defense. I don't watch with the frustration that I watched last years team.. I guess it's because I expected a lot more than what they produced on the field. It was frustrating to see the offense struggle, because with all the weapons they had, you would think they would have just ran right through teams. But it was almost painful to watch that team last year.

I enjoyed watching this team play the Jets, and the Panthers more than I've enjoyed all but two other game in the last two year. (the Bears (2009), and the Chargers) game. They just don't look as dysfunctional as they did last year and at the end of 2009.

I guess it's because I don't expect anything "great" from this team.. I just expect to see some dudes in Orange and Black stripes, working and hustling their asses off. To ME, that's fun to watch.

WHO DEY!!!!!!

[quote name='Cricket' timestamp='1315005061' post='1025111']

[url="http://www.scribd.com/doc/29535564/Nfl-Collective-Bargaining-Agreement-2006-2012"]http://www.scribd.co...ement-2006-2012[/url]

page 135: [copy and paste kept blowing up, so I typed this in...sorry for any typos]

Interesting that is says "for a period of 12 months after the player's most recent contract [u][b][size=5]re[/size][/b][/u]negotiation". Assuming I understand this correctly: Since the Bengals signed them as free agents, I think that we could go ahead and extend Howard and Lawson. And if not, then we could go ahead and extend them, but couldn't increase the salary for the current season.

Of course that could have changed with the new CBA.
[/quote]

That is how I would interpret as well.. Like I said, players who are tagged and "sign tender" just sign a basic 1yr contract.. And it is common for teams to renegotiate the contract during the season.

[quote name='Agent Orange' timestamp='1315002712' post='1025098']
Quan Cosby kind of reminds me of Keiwan Ratliff. Alot of side stepping and juke moves but not getting anywhere. I like Hawkins' ability to catch, and burst, and he's got some moves to. However, he hasn't proven himself to be much of a reciever. Tough call here.
[/quote]

You do know he holds the franchise record for punt return yards in a season?

I think Dalton is the perfect fit for Gruden's offense. He won't be throwing 60 yard bombs anytime soon, but I think he's exceptionally football smart. I think he sees the field well, and understands what's happening. He seems to make good decisions. As many of us have said, he seems to have good pocket awareness, and at least attempts to sell the play fake occasionally. His accuracy has been off too many times, but all things considered, (no camp, no time to get timing down, and so on) I think he can be really effective. Probably will never lead the league in flashy stats, but hopefully has the ability to just win.

I also think that Gruden is going to focus more on ways to game plan around his players' strengths. Make the game plan fit the players, rather than the players fit the game plan. At least until they get some experience.

Who knows what will happen when the lights go on and the games count. Some rookies shine, some crawl into the corner. I think Dalton is going to be a winning QB. Probably not this year, but you never know. Winning breeds confidence, and confidence breeds winning. IF we were able to come away with 3 wins in the first 4, it could be a fun year.

Archived