---> What now? Reflections as the season approaches ...

[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b][img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/clubimages/2011/09-September/AP110901043882--nfl_medium_540_360.jpg[/img][img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/clubimages/2011/09-September/_PBS7248--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG[/img][img]http://prod.static.bengals.clubs.nfl.com/assets/images/imported/CIN/photos/clubimages/2011/09-September/_PBS7335--nfl_medium_540_360.JPG[/img][/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I hope the Bengals only go with [color=#ff8c00]2 QB’s[/color] on game day (Dalton, Gradkowski). I also think they should cut LeFevor and not even carry a QB on the practice squad. If by some curse both Dalton and Gradkowski were seriously injured, you could pick up a vet (ala Kerry Collins) and the season would be lost anyway. As for Dalton, he has handled himself with an impressive level of poise, considering he has been in the NFL for 4 weeks. He has shown himself to be a natural leader and if you didn’t know any better, you would think you were watching a 5 yr pro in the huddle. The game doesn’t look too big for Dalton, and I think Carson’s pussy-whippedness will end up benefiting the Bengals in the long run, as I think they have found themselves a QB who can win playoff games, and give them a chance at a SB – which Carson was never able to do. What Dalton lacks in height – he makes up with in heart, and what Dalton lacks in ball speed/spiral – he makes up with accuracy. Lastly, the Bengals O-line like Whit and Bobbie have spoken about how they like blocking for Dalton, which is an often overlooked variable – I think Carson might have been more of a locker-room dick and certainly not as much of natural leader - than many of us fans thought.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I think the Bengals should keep [color=#ff8c00]5 safeties[/color] (Nelson, Crocker, Sands, Mays, Miles). Miles to me played an excellent game against the Colts, and Mays flashed some of that amazing sideline to sideline speed on the play he got injured.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I think the TE [color=#ff8c00]Cochart[/color] makes the squad, and might be the best run blocker on the team at TE. This would allow you to keep Gresh as a dual threat and Coffman as a WR threat. I would just cut Bo, as he’s injured.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- The [color=#ff8c00]FB battle[/color] is very interesting. I would say Pressley has dominated as the starter, but Develin and Fui have shown they can also play if needed. I would guess one or both can go to the practice squad if need be. On the RB front, I would keep Peerman on the practice squad, in case of injury.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- On the [color=#ff8c00]OL[/color], Reggie Stephens actually looked strong to me in the run game against he Colts. He constantly got lots of push, and I’m not sure that he may not be a better C than Cook if given the chance, although with Cook's extension - I'd try him at LG over Livings. As for OL Depth, I would hope they keep Jean-Gilles, even though he did get pushed back a few times on pass plays, he also got good push on run plays, and can be an emergency backup if Bobbie or Livings gets injured.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I would keep [color=#ff8c00]6 WR[/color] (Green, Simpson, Shipley, Caldwell, Whalen, Hawkins) – I would actually cut Cosby in favor of Andrew Hawkins who showed a burst of speed on returns that I feel Cosby lacks. Cosby in my view is basically just a good punt catcher at this point, but not necessarily a good returner. [/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- At DT, I really hope they keep [color=#ff8c00]Shirley[/color]. I would also keep 5 DT’s (Peko, Atkins, Shirley, Sims, and Cornell Banks). Banks really impressed me against the Colts and showed a willingness to chase RB all the way down the field, even if he knew he wouldn’t catch them. He also showed to be stout against the run.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I think the team needs to extend [color=#ff8c00]Michael Johnson[/color] now as a top 20 DE in the NFL, before he plays this season and they have to pay him like a top 10/5 DE. The man is becoming a beast in the Mario Williams mold, and he will be very expensive the longer the team waits. I think him and Dunlap can be your bookends for the next 7 years if you lock them both up long term.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I would also extend [color=#ff8c00]Maualuga[/color] at this point for the next 6-7 years. It is obvious that MLB is his natural position and I think he can become the firey leader of the teams defense, that they have lacked. I would also lock up Lawson and Howard to long term deals sometime this season, as I think they should be the starting rotation going into the future. As for Rivers, I think he can be a very quality reserve LB, special teamer, and you can possibly shop him for a trade at seasons end for a pick or G if need be.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I love the [color=#ff8c00]Hall[/color] extension. Now with Hall, Clements, Jennings, Jones, & Trent, the team has a solid 5 CB’s by mid year.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- On the [color=#ff8c00]coaching side[/color], I think Gruden is exactly what this team needed. I can’t wait to see a full season of Bengals offense without Shitkowski calling shovel passes on 3[sup]rd[/sup] and 27! Zimmer is also the perfect man for D coordinator, and I think Marvin at this point makes a great team supervisor / quasi-GM who has wrestled away more control of the team’s player personnel. I feel good about the Bengals coaches right now, and genuinely think that this season could surprise a lot of people with a 10-6 playoff berth – especially if the team can start out 4-0 against a weak schedule of teams with new coaches - which I think they can … then they would only have to go 6-6 the rest of the way.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- The Bengals had one of the [color=#ff8c00]best off-seasons[/color] that I can recall in recent memory. Cutting the Ocho & TO reality show was a much needed move. Also, I believe they have handled the Carson fiasco correctly. As Marvin said, you have to let the inmates know that they no longer run the asylum, and you can always trade Carson for a 1[sup]st[/sup] rder to the 0-5 Semenhawks when they realize Tavaris Jackson is playing like the reincarnation of Akili Smith. On the player front, I think the team made several strong trades and were able to get 1[sup]st[/sup] and 2[sup]nd[/sup] rd players for seventh rd picks and seventh round prospects. I think the Clements signing was very solid, and that ultimately it was probably best to let Joseph go in FA, as carrying 2 10 mill $ corners might not be wise, especially considering one was injury prone (Joseph). Moreover, the pickups of Lawson and Howard (2 players that Marvin has coveted since their respective drafts) I think shows that Marvin finally has full control over personnel – and the ability to get his kind of players.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I’m looking forward to this season, and the overall next 5 years of the Bengals. I think the team is on the right track and making moves that are good for the long term. [color=#ff8c00][size=5]WHO FUCKIN DEY![/size][/color][/b][/font]

I love so much that they have done in the last few weeks... looking really good for the next few years if Andy pans out... I am so excited for next Sunday...

Man BJ.. you must not watch ESPN... don't you know that the Bengals are trash and nobody can tell what they are doing... the future looks bleak...

[color=#ff8c00][size=5]WHO FUCKING DEY IS RIGHT BROTHA[/size][/color]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1314991838' post='1025003']
[font=verdana,geneva,sans-serif][b] I think Carson might have been more of a locker-room dick and certainly not as much of natural leader - than many of us fans thought.[/b][/font]
[/quote]

I don't know about that.. Both Bobbie and Whit still refer to him as a friend.

[b]...I would also lock up Lawson and Howard to long term deals sometime this season, as I think they should be the starting rotation going into the future. [/b]

[/quote]

I'm thinking that the NFL doesn't allow you to redo a contract in less than one year. I may be wrong though. :shrug:

Experts?

[quote name='Cricket' timestamp='1314992570' post='1025010']
I'm thinking that the NFL doesn't allow you to redo a contract in less than one year. I may be wrong though. :shrug:

Experts?
[/quote]

Nah you can rip it up and sign a new one whenever I think... Not an expert, but they do it with tagged players who have "signed tender"... Which is just a contract.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I’m looking forward to this season, and the overall next 5 years of the Bengals. I think the team is on the right track and making moves that are good for the long term. [color=#ff8c00][size=5]WHO FUCKIN DEY![/size][/color][/b][/font]
[/quote]

Have to keep a PS QB. Maybe not Lefevour, but somebody. Stop being butthurt about CP already. Move on.
What about Wilson at safety? What did Sands do? I'd keep Nelson, Crocker, Mays, Wilson put one of the other two on PS.
FB = Keep Presley only.
WR = Keep baby Hawk and Cosby, cut Whalen
DT, yes keep shirley
Agree, extend MJ, , keep this Evans dude on the PS

Good recap.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1314993599' post='1025022']
What about Wilson at safety? What did Sands do? I'd keep Nelson, Crocker, Mays, Wilson put one of the other two on PS.
[/quote]
[b]Wilson is older, smaller, slower, coming off injury, and has no real upside left. Sands is a 6'5 rookie who's size could make him real special once he grasps the game. You can't put him on the PS because we would get him stolen like Briscoe by some other team. Same for Miles, who I think has actually played as the 3rd best S overall and also has great size at 6'2.[/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1314994026' post='1025029']
[b]Wilson is older, smaller, slower, coming off injury, and has no real upside left. Sands is a 6'5 rookie who's size could make him real special once he grasps the game. You can't put him on the PS because we would get him stolen like Briscoe by some other team. Same for Miles, who I think has actually played as the 3rd best S overall and also has great sizeat 6'2.[/b]
[/quote]

I dunno BJ... Sands has looked kind of lost out there.. I know you have a tendency to obsess over physical attributes, but football is more than how your body is put together.

I don't think someone would steal Sands.. They would have to put him on the 53 man list... I think he is too raw...

[quote name='Lucid' timestamp='1314992192' post='1025006']
Both Bobbie and Whit still refer to him as a friend.
[/quote]
[b]I think this is more akin to the way most people still call ex-girlfriends / boy-friends "friends" when asked in public, but actually hate their ass. [/b]

[b]Both Whit and Bobbie have made numerous comments this offseason which were swipes at Carson and his leadership etc.[/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1314994026' post='1025029']
[b]Wilson is older, smaller, slower, coming off injury, and has no real upside left. Sands is a 6'5 rookie who's size could make him real special once he grasps the game. You can't put him on the PS because we would get him stolen like Briscoe by some other team. Same for Miles, who I think has actually played as the 3rd best S overall and also has great size at 6'2.[/b]
[/quote]

I guarantee one of them would stay on the PS all year. How about this bet:

I would join your new Red Crusade if they are both snatched up. If not, you must refer to Carson as the Holy Martyr from now on and you must only reference him in a reverential, thankful manner.

This is your chance to get a prime follower back.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1314994930' post='1025047']
This is your chance to get a prime follower back.
[/quote]
[b]I think you will find your way back to the flock once you realize the error of your ways. Sure, you've kissed me on the cheek and taken your 30 pieces of silver from the wrinkly flaps of Carson's mangina, but deep down you know the Red CrotchRocket will lead us to the Promise Land. [/b]

[b]I have forgiven you already, for you know not what you do. :25: [/b]

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1314995433' post='1025061']
ahahahahahahaha I think you're the Judas of the Whodeyian Prophecy.

I am in "Wait for Ressurrection of the Messiah and praise his return" stage.

You're pretty much a Bengal Jew.
[/quote]

:lol:

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1314995433' post='1025061']
ahahahahahahaha I think you're the Judas of the Whodeyian Prophecy.

I am in "Wait for Ressurrection of the Messiah and praise his return" stage.

You're pretty much a Bengal Jew.
[/quote]
It's all becoming so clear. BJ IS TAYLOR MAYS!!!

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1315000632' post='1025091']
[b]Doesn't Hawkins just seem so much quicker/faster than Cosby to you though? He reminds me of Darren Sproles.[/b]
[/quote]

He looked good, but then I remember he did so against the scrubinis at the end of the game. Keeping him on the PS keeps the options open if Cosby really has lost it.

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I hope the Bengals only go with [color=#ff8c00]2 QB’s[/color] on game day (Dalton, Gradkowski). I also think they should cut LeFevor and not even carry a QB on the practice squad. If by some curse both Dalton and Gradkowski were seriously injured, you could pick up a vet (ala Kerry Collins) and the season would be lost anyway. As for Dalton, he has handled himself with an impressive level of poise, considering he has been in the NFL for 4 weeks. He has shown himself to be a natural leader and if you didn’t know any better, you would think you were watching a 5 yr pro in the huddle. The game doesn’t look too big for Dalton, and I think Carson’s pussy-whippedness will end up benefiting the Bengals in the long run, as I think they have found themselves a QB who can win playoff games, and give them a chance at a SB – which Carson was never able to do. What Dalton lacks in height – he makes up with in heart, and what Dalton lacks in ball speed/spiral – he makes up with accuracy. Lastly, the Bengals O-line like Whit and Bobbie have spoken about how they like blocking for Dalton, which is an often overlooked variable – I think Carson might have been more of a locker-room dick and certainly not as much of natural leader - than many of us fans thought.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I think the Bengals should keep [color=#ff8c00]5 safeties[/color] (Nelson, Crocker, Sands, Mays, Miles). Miles to me played an excellent game against the Colts, and Mays flashed some of that amazing sideline to sideline speed on the play he got injured.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I think the TE [color=#ff8c00]Cochart[/color] makes the squad, and might be the best run blocker on the team at TE. This would allow you to keep Gresh as a dual threat and Coffman as a WR threat. I would just cut Bo, as he’s injured.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- The [color=#ff8c00]FB battle[/color] is very interesting. I would say Pressley has dominated as the starter, but Develin and Fui have shown they can also play if needed. I would guess one or both can go to the practice squad if need be. On the RB front, I would keep Peerman on the practice squad, in case of injury.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- On the [color=#ff8c00]OL[/color], Reggie Stephens actually looked strong to me in the run game against he Colts. He constantly got lots of push, and I’m not sure that he may not be a better C than Cook if given the chance, although with Cook's extension - I'd try him at LG over Livings. As for OL Depth, I would hope they keep Jean-Gilles, even though he did get pushed back a few times on pass plays, he also got good push on run plays, and can be an emergency backup if Bobbie or Livings gets injured.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I would keep [color=#ff8c00]6 WR[/color] (Green, Simpson, Shipley, Caldwell, Whalen, Hawkins) – I would actually cut Cosby in favor of Andrew Hawkins who showed a burst of speed on returns that I feel Cosby lacks. Cosby in my view is basically just a good punt catcher at this point, but not necessarily a good returner. [/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- At DT, I really hope they keep [color=#ff8c00]Shirley[/color]. I would also keep 5 DT’s (Peko, Atkins, Shirley, Sims, and Cornell Banks). Banks really impressed me against the Colts and showed a willingness to chase RB all the way down the field, even if he knew he wouldn’t catch them. He also showed to be stout against the run.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I think the team needs to extend [color=#ff8c00]Michael Johnson[/color] now as a top 20 DE in the NFL, before he plays this season and they have to pay him like a top 10/5 DE. The man is becoming a beast in the Mario Williams mold, and he will be very expensive the longer the team waits. I think him and Dunlap can be your bookends for the next 7 years if you lock them both up long term.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I would also extend [color=#ff8c00]Maualuga[/color] at this point for the next 6-7 years. It is obvious that MLB is his natural position and I think he can become the firey leader of the teams defense, that they have lacked. I would also lock up Lawson and Howard to long term deals sometime this season, as I think they should be the starting rotation going into the future. As for Rivers, I think he can be a very quality reserve LB, special teamer, and you can possibly shop him for a trade at seasons end for a pick or G if need be.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- I love the [color=#ff8c00]Hall[/color] extension. Now with Hall, Clements, Jennings, Jones, & Trent, the team has a solid 5 CB’s by mid year.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- On the [color=#ff8c00]coaching side[/color], I think Gruden is exactly what this team needed. I can’t wait to see a full season of Bengals offense without Shitkowski calling shovel passes on 3[sup]rd[/sup] and 27! Zimmer is also the perfect man for D coordinator, and I think Marvin at this point makes a great team supervisor / quasi-GM who has wrestled away more control of the team’s player personnel. I feel good about the Bengals coaches right now, and genuinely think that this season could surprise a lot of people with a 10-6 playoff berth – especially if the team can start out 4-0 against a weak schedule of teams with new coaches - which I think they can … then they would only have to go 6-6 the rest of the way.[/b][/font]

[font=arial,helvetica,sans-serif][b]- The Bengals had one of the [color=#ff8c00]best off-seasons[/color] that I can recall in recent memory. Cutting the Ocho & TO reality show was a much needed move. Also, I believe they have handled the Carson fiasco correctly. As Marvin said, you have to let the inmates know that they no longer run the asylum, and you can always trade Carson for a 1[sup]st[/sup] rder to the 0-5 Semenhawks when they realize Tavaris Jackson is playing like the reincarnation of Akili Smith. On the player front, I think the team made several strong trades and were able to get 1[sup]st[/sup] and 2[sup]nd[/sup] rd players for seventh rd picks and seventh round prospects. I think the Clements signing was very solid, and that ultimately it was probably best to let Joseph go in FA, as carrying 2 10 mill $ corners might not be wise, especially considering one was injury prone (Joseph). Moreover, the pickups of Lawson and Howard (2 players that Marvin has coveted since their respective drafts) I think shows that Marvin finally has full control over personnel – and the ability to get his kind of players.[/b][/font]

[/quote]
Amen, brother. I couldn't agree more with your general outlook and specific roster suggestions. I especially think you are right on with the 5 safeties and the TEs. Shirley,too. Gee whiz, you are almost brilliant,aren't you. Almost. I don't think Whalen has earned a roster spot. I would like the Bengals to keep a close eye on the waiver wire and put in a claim for Jeff Maehl when the Texans cut him. Maehl may like a ball boy, but he has great receiving skills,is aces on STs, and the guy is just a terrific football player. But maybe I'm nitpicking. Anyway, great post BlackJesus.

Archived