2011 Taste of the NFL Followup

Had big fun, the crowd was about 1/2 the usual size. Sure this is due to the lockout and late planning.

Bobbi has lost weight, his belly is a lot smaller, he had lose about 10 lbs there. Funny as usual, told him I'll be expecting to big points from Ced since he was back and said you'll get them. Sounds like he's ready to go.

Brian Leonard is small (thin) and I told him so and asked him a lot of told him he's smaller then the looks on the field and he said yea. Really cool dude.

AJ Greene was super nice, signed my picture of his catch against the 49ers right next to his feet. Later had him sign a picture of the over the defenders back and he said he had to get a copy of that picture. Funny some guy came up and said that catch you made was great and I asked him if he meant this catch and showed him the picture. Know dude was mad he didn't have the picture to get signed. AJ just smiled.

Chris Pressley, is from the same small town the wifey is from and he know her family and stuff, they talked awhile about NJ and she offered him a home cooked meal if wanted to come to Dayton and get away he said was going to call and for us not to act like we didn't know him when he did. Also told us if we wanted to come to a game to let him know (this is when I had a brain fart), told him that was cool but we had season tickets. It blew him away when we pulled out our Pressley Bengals sweatshirts and asked him to sign them, Dude didn't know how to react, I think he was just shocked that someone would be supporting him like that. Going to get us some Pressley jersey's.

Anyway here are a few pictures I took there. [url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1551400042202.47677.1751160029&l=bd744eac53&type=1"]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1551400042202.47677.1751160029&l=bd744eac53&type=1[/url]

Also got to talk to Mike Brown, thanked him for not moving the team and he was really humble. He thanked us for supporting the team and said we'll have a team to be proud of on the field. I told him I was proud to have a team in Cincy and he looked me in the eye and said he was too.

I won't debate anyone that says he's made mistakes, but anyone who says he in it for the money and haven't looked the man in the eye and talked to him about is full of shit. I say that after standing there man to man and looking him in the eye while talking about the team.

Thats really awesome man! I've heard about this event, but never realized you get to mingle that much with the players and get pics etc. I'm going to have to plan on going next year for sure. Always wished the Bengals had an event like redsfest. Do they announce what players are going to be there before the event?

[quote name='mroby85' timestamp='1317960078' post='1041266']
Thats really awesome man! I've heard about this event, but never realized you get to mingle that much with the players and get pics etc. I'm going to have to plan on going next year for sure. Always wished the Bengals had an event like redsfest. Do they announce what players are going to be there before the event?
[/quote]

All the players and coaches are there. Usually it's in July right after they leave Georgetown.

BTW I had a picture of Bobbi from last year to get signed and he looked at it and I wore the same shirt last year, I was yea I noticed that, he was like oh well. Really great guy.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1317960314' post='1041268']

All the players and coaches are there. Usually it's in July right after they leave Georgetown.

BTW I had a picture of Bobbi from last year to get signed and he looked at it and I wore the same shirt last year, I was yea I noticed that, he was like oh well. Really great guy.
[/quote]

Very cool, did you see Marvin, Dalton, Cedric and those guys too or how does that work?

Bobbie is one of my favorites, he seems hilarious, I love when they win and he's always lifting his helmet lol. I've always wanted to get a pic with Maualuga/Peko too. Sounds like a really good time!

Yea, got Marvin and Maualuga to sign pictures I took with them at last years event. Maualuga said he looked thin in the picure from last year. The only ones I didn't see was Ced and Dalton but we didn't get there to almost 6 and it started at 5:30 so maybe missed them. Ced has been there every year he's been here tho.

They auctioned off a dinner with Maualuga, Peko, and someone else it went for $1500

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1317961181' post='1041271']
Yea, got Marvin and Maualuga to sign pictures I took with them at last years event. Maualuga said he looked thin in the picure from last year. The only ones I didn't see was Ced and Dalton but we didn't get there to almost 6 and it started at 5:30 so maybe missed them. Ced has been there every year he's been here tho.

They auctioned off a dinner with Maualuga, Peko, and someone else it went for $1500
[/quote]

It sounds really cool! Is it extremely crowded to where it is hard to get pics with them, or is it pretty easy to get around there? I know redsfest is always so packed with huge lines and things like that, so its basically a risky situation concerning which players you end up getting to see.

[b] [size=6]Fans, Bengals feast at Taste of NFL[/size][/b]

By GEOFF HOBSON
Posted 2 hours ago

As the CEO of Cincinnati’s Freestore Foodbank, John Young always has to be a good scout on the lookout for resources and Thursday night was no different at Paul Brown Stadium as the Bengals hosted one of his organization’s biggest annual fundraisers.

“It’s a real team, isn’t it?” Young asked as food, music, and football converged pleasantly at the Taste of the NFL in the PBS West Club lounge. “You can see it when they’re out there on the field. They’re pulling for each other. There’s no bickering. They’re all out there together.”

As diners mingled with Bengals players and coaches and about 40 of Cincinnati’s top eateries during a postcard autumn sunset, Young chatted with Bengals president Mike Brown about exactly that.

Teamwork.

“I wanted to thank him for his team backing our team,” Young said. “Ever since we’ve been here they’ve been one of our most loyal and important supporters. They provide us with this beautiful building a couple of times a year and always volunteer during the holidays at our downtown location as well as throughout the year. We’re a good team.”

Last year The Taste raised $100,000, a huge number in Young’s world of emergency, heartbreak and hunger. Every dollar raised Thursday night makes four meals.

“We gave out 15 million meals last year, so figure out the percentage and how much it means,” Young said. “Tonight means about 400,000 meals. Last year we fed 300,000 people in 20 counties in Ohio, Kentucky, and Indiana. It may be a problem people don’t hear much about, but it’s one of our biggest problems. When you open up that refrigerator and there’s nothing in there for your family, there isn’t a more basic need.”

Young was also able to stop some players and thank them and he could have grabbed anyone he wanted. With practice and meetings ending at about the time the event started, players and coaches ended their day with a rare social event during the work week. In the nine years of head coach Marvin Lewis’ community-minded administration, most of the civic work during the season is reserved for Tuesday’s off day.

The Tuesday morning before Thanksgiving has become one of Cincinnati’s great holiday traditions, where Bengals volunteer at the Freestore to pack up and hand out dinners just in time for the biggest meal of the year.

“It’s a great way to end practice,” said cornerback [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/leon-hall/0f379744-8ae4-4952-8f53-75c2f38f43ec/"]Leon Hall[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/url] Thursday, waiting for his wife and son to meet him for dinner. “I’ve done this every year since I’ve been here. I always have a great time. The importance of it is obvious, and it’s good food and good company. It’s a chance to get to interact with the fans and hear what they’re talking about.”

This was one of Hall’s first chances to take the temperature of Bengaldom and he liked what he heard.

“I think the fact we won Sunday and the way we won has got people excited,” Hall said of the walk-off 23-20 victory over the undefeated Bills. “I think people are pretty excited about our defense. So are we. But we’re just trying not to get too excited. The two losses hurt and we know there’s a long way to go. But it’s great to come out here and see the fans enjoying the win.”

As the defense has done all week in response to its No. 1 ranking in the league, Hall invoked the words of defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.

“Ask us at Thanksgiving and see how we’re doing,” Hall said.

That will be another big day for the Bengals and the Freestore.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Fans-Bengals-feast-at-Taste-of-NFL/d59b1f90-bc9f-4ba8-8a9f-acbc6636da5f"]http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Fans-Bengals-feast-at-Taste-of-NFL/d59b1f90-bc9f-4ba8-8a9f-acbc6636da5f[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1317988306' post='1041307']
awesome stuff!

Out of curiousity, does anyone know what the team's record is during Taste of the NFL week? With so many players and coaches there, I wonder if, at any, effect it has on their game preparation.
[/quote]

Ray's second post in this thread ...

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1317960314' post='1041268']

All the players and coaches are there. [b]Usually it's in July right after they leave Georgetown.[/b]
[/quote]

And I wouldn't think it would effect them too much anyway. They did it after practice and meetings.
And they do have to eat sometime.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1317988685' post='1041308']

Ray's second post in this thread ...

And I wouldn't think it would effect them too much anyway. They did it after practice and meetings.
And they do have to eat sometime.
[/quote]

for some reason I always thought it was early in the season.

Surprised they didn't try to do it during the bye week since its indoors.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1317957911' post='1041258']
Had big fun, the crowd was about 1/2 the usual size. Sure this is due to the lockout and late planning.

[/quote]

I wanted to go but got the invitation etc. too soon before the event to be able to put it together (meaning, seeing how it fit in with my lady friend's work schedule or for her to arrange for her to be able to make it).

Not sure how that works for others, but I would have probably gone if I had more advanced notice. And, yes, there was some procrastination and not paying attention to the dates on my part, too. But the time factor did add into it.

And thank you for the recap. Glad you had a great time.

I got to go as well last night and it was a blast.... Got to meet and talked to Dalton, Green, Peko, Rome, Maualuga, Packman, Bobbie W, Marvin Lewis, Leon Hall, Brian Leonard, Gresham, Grawdowski, Whitworth, Caleb Miller (ex-bengal), amongst others... Notables that weren't there (at least i didn't see them where shipley and benson.

I made a poster of my Man Cave and had a bunch of the players sign it... was really cool. Will definitely plan a trip back to the states next year to come do the Taste again.

[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/iwamas/mancavesigned.jpg[/img]

Yea the lockout really hurt them this year causing them to not get the info out to late. Someone here did post the info a couple weeks ago but I wasn't sure I would make it due to school, had to cut a class and a lab to go :). Gotta go down today to make up the test I missed last night.

For those who missed the previous year pictures here are links to them

2010 Taste of NFL [url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1145950066206.17006.1751160029&l=4def36affe&type=1"]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1145950066206.17006.1751160029&l=4def36affe&type=1[/url]

2009 Taste of NFL [url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1018582802104.2959.1751160029&l=57d60c4f0f&type=1"]http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1018582802104.2959.1751160029&l=57d60c4f0f&type=1[/url]

[quote name='iwamas' timestamp='1317997684' post='1041357']
I got to go as well last night and it was a blast.... Got to meet and talked to Dalton, Green, Peko, Rome, Maualuga, Packman, Bobbie W, Marvin Lewis, Leon Hall, Brian Leonard, Gresham, Grawdowski, Whitworth, Caleb Miller (ex-bengal), amongst others... Notables that weren't there (at least i didn't see them where shipley and benson.

I made a poster of my Man Cave and had a bunch of the players sign it... was really cool. Will definitely plan a trip back to the states next year to come do the Taste again.

[img]http://i563.photobucket.com/albums/ss71/iwamas/mancavesigned.jpg[/img]
[/quote]

Your man cave fills me with a combination both contempt and admiration that I have rarely felt before. I want to punch you in the throat and then buy you a beer.

That shit is fucking awesome.

[quote name='iwamas' timestamp='1317997684' post='1041357']

[/quote]

That is smoking. Bet the players loved the Man Cave.

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1317997791' post='1041358']
Yea the lockout really hurt them this year causing them to not get the info out to late. Someone here did post the info a couple weeks ago but I wasn't sure I would make it due to school, had to cut a class and a lab to go :). Gotta go down today to make up the test I missed last night.

For those who missed the previous year pictures here are links to them

2010 Taste of NFL [url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1145950066206.17006.1751160029&l=4def36affe&type=1"]http://www.facebook....ef36affe&type=1[/url]

2009 Taste of NFL [url="http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1018582802104.2959.1751160029&l=57d60c4f0f&type=1"]http://www.facebook....d60c4f0f&type=1[/url]
[/quote]

what are you in school for?

[quote name='RayDoggBengal' timestamp='1317998033' post='1041361']

That is smoking. Bet the players loved the Man Cave.
[/quote]

yeah, The reactions to the cave were really cool... it was a great ice breaker and conversation starter with the players... it seemed at times to snap them out of the boredom of randomly signing a program guide... i highly recommend any fan to go to this even in the future if they can...

[quote name='iwamas' timestamp='1317998615' post='1041364']

yeah, The reactions to the cave were really cool... it was a great ice breaker and conversation starter with the players... it seemed at times to snap them out of the boredom of randomly signing a program guide... i highly recommend any fan to go to this even in the future if they can...
[/quote]

You're right when you have something other then the standard football or jersey they seem to really like it. I had my Bengals backpack to carry the sweatshirts in and had a few players sign that also. Don't forget to take any pictures you took next year to get them signed they freak out looking back and those pictures. Kyle was like where you get that picture then looked at it hard and was like uh that was last year.

Archived