The Good, Bad, and Ugly

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1320689552' post='1058274']

Yes, he has. He had more of an adjustment than Howard going from a 3-4 D, where he rushed the passer a fair amount, to a 4-3 where he never rushes the passer.

Like Reggie Nelson last year, he is getting better as the season goes on.
[/quote]

I'm still not 100% sold on Reggie Nelson. That easy TD right before half was his fault I believe.

And at the end of the game, he fell down and let a WR run right past him, glaringly wide open for what would have been an easy TD if Hasselbeck was looking. I know falling down is a little bit fluky, but you just can't have something like that happen in that situation.

Overall, Nelson seems like a boom or bust type guy with his play. He is going to make some big hits and grab some INTs. But the reason that Nelson was going to get cut in J'ville was that he gave up way too many big plays. I can't say that has changed much here in Cincy....

[quote name='happyrid' timestamp='1320689881' post='1058280']

I'm still not 100% sold on Reggie Nelson. That easy TD right before half was his fault I believe.

And at the end of the game, he fell down and let a WR run right past him, glaringly wide open for what would have been an easy TD if Hasselbeck was looking. I know falling down is a little bit fluky, but you just can't have something like that happen in that situation.

Overall, Nelson seems like a boom or bust type guy with his play. He is going to make some big hits and grab some INTs. But the reason that Nelson was going to get cut in J'ville was that he gave up way too many big plays. I can't say that has changed much here in Cincy....
[/quote]

I agree. I want to like him, but most of his bad plays are seriously bad fluke type plays. When do flukes start turning into a trend and just becoming the norm?

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320690980' post='1058296']

pretty sure that was Jennings.
[/quote]

I think the theory is that Jennings was handing the guy off to the S, who wasn't there - a lot like Hall in the Jax game. Depends on the play who is right or wrong.

[quote name='ccartman2' timestamp='1320679822' post='1058191']
Since I didn't see the game, I do have a question on the penalties. Cinci had 9 for 87 and Tennesse had 7 for 100. Where they both playing that sloppy or where the officiails a little too tight? Lap seemed to think it was the latter, they way I took some of his comments.
[/quote]

Lot of holding calls, which isn't surprising considering that I read that Tripplett leads the league in holding calls made over the last 5 seasons by a wide margin.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320691167' post='1058304']

I think the theory is that Jennings was handing the guy off to the S, who wasn't there - a lot like Hall in the Jax game. Depends on the play who is right or wrong.
[/quote]

looked to me that nelson was covering the WR in the middle of the endzone.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320691167' post='1058304']

[/quote]

Exactly. Just because he was covering someone doesn't mean it was the right person. :lol: I know you know that, I'm just saying.

Here's my guess... Jennings is supposed to pass the man off to the safety if the slot runs an out (he picks up the out). If the slot/te/whoever is #2 runs a post, slant, he stays man with the #1. So, what happens is the inside guy runs a post and the outside a streak. Instead of playing man on the streak, Jennings passes him off to the safety, but the safety comes up for the post and leaves Jennings' guy wide open. That's why there was no one around Jennings but the guy he "passed off". Jennings is still learning our defense I'm sure.

[quote name='Tigris' timestamp='1320694270' post='1058358']

Exactly. Just because he was covering someone doesn't mean it was the right person. :lol: I know you know that, I'm just saying.

Here's my guess... Jennings is supposed to pass the man off to the safety if the slot runs an out (he picks up the out). If the slot/te/whoever is #2 runs a post, slant, he stays man with the #1. So, what happens is the inside guy runs a post and the outside a streak. Instead of playing man on the streak, Jennings passes him off to the safety, but the safety comes up for the post and leaves Jennings' guy wide open. That's why there was no one around Jennings but the guy he "passed off". Jennings is still learning our defense I'm sure.
[/quote]

You're exactly right, but again, Jennings needs to use his brain and realize that he's not covering anyone in the flat there after passing his man off to Nelson. He should have continued to go deeper with the receiver since there was noone to cover in the flat whatsoever. This is especially true when you consider that there were only 8 seconds left in the half and Tennessee was already in Bironas' range for a FG.

[quote name='IKOTA' timestamp='1320697048' post='1058393']

You're exactly right, but again, Jennings needs to use his brain and realize that he's not covering anyone in the flat there after passing his man off to Nelson. He should have continued to go deeper with the receiver since there was noone to cover in the flat whatsoever. This is especially true when you consider that there were only 8 seconds left in the half and Tennessee was already in Bironas' range for a FG.
[/quote]
We have a winner!

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1320677689' post='1058172']

nah he got a bad spot actually. He was never down, he was laying on top of another player. The ball actually should have been another football length farther.
[/quote]

I re-watched the game, and you're right. Him laying on top of the other guy was deceiving; he actually got further than they gave him credit for.

Hate Marv Albert's play by play, BTW, but I think Gannon is pretty good.

[/quote]

I think from watching it again, Jennings passed him off, but then realized it was still his man... and when he tried to recover, he stumbled and couldn't get back there in time.
I want to cut the guy a little bit of slack since he's new and hasn't played much here (or practiced, for that matter), but he's gotta get better, fast.

He did make a play towards the end of the game that deserves mention, tough. On a 3rd and short (<5 yards), Hasselbeck was running for the first down, and Geno Atkins was chasing him from behind. Jennings ran up from the secondary, and the QB went into his slide before the 1st down marker. Jennings didn't make the tackle per se, but him being there caused the QB to slide earlier b/c Jennings came up. Result: TENN was short, and they had to punt. Big stop by the D.

[/quote]

Well, he did. It was just too late at that point.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1320679951' post='1058194']

There was a penalty on AJ too today. You gonna say we cut him too?

Simpson has stuff to work on, like everyone. He made a helluva play to get a TD.
I think you are the brain dead one.
[/quote]

Where did I say anything about cutting Simpson?

Archived