Week 10 - Steelers week

Tools for Victory Bengals vs. Stealers

[url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/tools-for-victory/09000d5d824040d0/Tools-for-Victory-Steelers-vs-Bengals?module=HP11_content_stream"]http://www.nfl.com/videos/tools-for-victory/09000d5d824040d0/Tools-for-Victory-Steelers-vs-Bengals?module=HP11_content_stream[/url]

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1321068178' post='1060705']
Tools for Victory Bengals vs. Stealers

[url="http://www.nfl.com/videos/tools-for-victory/09000d5d824040d0/Tools-for-Victory-Steelers-vs-Bengals?module=HP11_content_stream"]http://www.nfl.com/v..._content_stream[/url]
[/quote]

man that was a pretty throw.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321068510' post='1060707']

man that was a pretty throw.
[/quote]

Big time. But to be honest I'm so excited about Lee. That guy still has the size and the muscle to move guys with him and get YAC. I am so excited that we have that guy on our squad. Hopefully he comes up big in the Stealers game.

Never mind, just saw that Donald Lee isn't playing this Sunday. That sucks

A play I see the bengals doing this week is a slant and go deep to AJ.

They ran that quick slant to AJ like 4 times last week and the steelers have a pretty aggressive D. I see them running the slant once or twice early, then pump faking on it at some point in the game and going deep. Just need to hit it.

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1321039641' post='1060520']

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-lPWmgoGIc[/media]

:facepalm:
[/quote]

I kinda don't blame that Stealer fan for making fun of that Bengal fan lol But he's a cocky fucker and I can't wait to respond back to his dumbass after we beat those bitches.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1321069287' post='1060711']
A play I see the bengals doing this week is a slant and go deep to AJ.

They ran that quick slant to AJ like 4 times last week and the steelers have a pretty aggressive D. I see them running the slant once or twice early, then pump faking on it at some point in the game and going deep. Just need to hit it.
[/quote]

I sure wouldn't mind them trying to hit Simpson on one or two of those quick hitter slants as well. With his speed, he could do some damage. The Denver game still fresh in my mind.

[size=6][b]Injuries could sideline key Bengals DE, TE[/b][/size]

Compared to past seasons the Bengals are pretty healthy at midseason, but the status of a couple of key players remains up in the air going into Sunday's AFC North clash against Pittsburgh.

Defensive end Carlos Dunlap and tight end Jermaine Gresham returned to practice Friday, but they are listed as questionable on the injury report.

Dunlap and Gresham, who both have hamstring injuries, were limited after not practicing Thursday. It was Dunlap's first practice since being injured late in last Sunday's game against Tennessee. Gresham, who suffered his injury Oct. 28 and has missed the past two games, tried practicing Wednesday and was going through offensive drills Friday.

Gresham's status has the biggest impact on the roster. Donald Lee (foot) already has been ruled out for Sunday's game. If Gresham can't play, the Bengals likely would sign Chase Coffman from the practice squad since rookie Colin Cochart is the only healthy tight end on the roster.

Dunlap has three sacks in the past two games and would present plenty of matchup problems for Steelers right tackle Marcus Gilbert, who has given up five sacks. Four Bengals defensive linemen have three or more sacks, including Jonathan Fanene, who could see increased playing time.

When asked if Dunlap and Gresham could play Sunday, coach Marvin Lewis issued the refrain standard for all Friday after-practice interviews when asked about injuries: "We'll see. ... Guys want to get back, want to play, want to earn their spot to play. That's a good thing."

Lewis did say that the final decision would rest with the team's medical staff and the coaches.

Cornerback Adam Jones (hamstring) likely will miss his second straight game after being listed as doubtful. Jones missed his second straight day after being limited Wednesday. Running back Brian Leonard, who injured his knee in the fourth quarter against Tennessee, also is questionable.

Linebacker Rey Maualuga (ankle), who has been limited in practice all week, is listed as probable, meaning it is likely he returns to the lineup after missing the last three games.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111111/SPT02/111120330/Injuries-could-sideline-key-Bengals"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111111/SPT02/111120330/Injuries-could-sideline-key-Bengals[/url]

[b] [size=6]Steelers stingy against run[/size][/b]

[b] [size=6]Benson not alone in finding yardage tough to come by[/size][/b]

If you think rookie quarterbacks have had a difficult time against Dick LeBeau and the Steelers defense, the sledding has been even more difficult for Bengals running backs.

Entering Sunday's game it has been seven years, or 14 games, since a Bengals back has rushed for over 100 yards against Pittsburgh. Only twice in those 14 games has a back even gotten above 80 yards.

Despite those daunting facts, Cedric Benson said he has been eagerly awaiting the next two games against the stout Pittsburgh and Baltimore defenses.

"I'm excited about the challenge for ourselves to see where we're at and where we can go. It will be good to have some tough opponents consecutively," Benson said.

In 16 games against the division, Benson has five 100-yard games and is averaging 3.8 yards per carry. However, he has had limited success against the Steelers. In six games he is averaging 3.3 yards per carry and has scored only one touchdown.

His best game, though, was in the 2009 Week 3 game at Paul Brown Stadium when he had 76 yards on 16 carries and a touchdown as the Bengals rallied to beat the Steelers.

After struggling against the Jaguars and Colts, Benson got back on track against the Titans last Sunday. He ran for 78 yards and averaged 3.9 yards on 20 carries, his best game since running for 104 yards against Buffalo in Week 4.

Even more encouraging was that Benson had four carries of 10 yards or more. The running game could have had even more yards, but 22 were nullified by penalties.

Despite missing a game, Benson is fourth in the AFC in carries (137) and seventh in yards (536). The Bengals have been working Bernard Scott in more, which has had some wondering why the running game is not as consistent.

Said Benson about the run game in general: "Things are a little bit different this season. We're doing a lot more rotating, so I can't really address the consistency. ... I just try to be as consistent as I can be."

Pittsburgh's run defense has been particularly staunch lately. The last three opponents have been held below 75 yards.

(Click the link for the entire article)

[url="http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111111/SPT02/111120331/Steelers-stingy-against-run?odyssey=tab|topnews|text"]http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20111111/SPT02/111120331/Steelers-stingy-against-run?odyssey=tab|topnews|text[/url]|

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1321068917' post='1060710']

Big time. But to be honest I'm so excited about Lee. That guy still has the size and the muscle to move guys with him and get YAC. I am so excited that we have that guy on our squad. Hopefully he comes up big in the Stealers game.

Never mind, just saw that Donald Lee isn't playing this Sunday. That sucks
[/quote]

I actually like Cochart more. Dude is a beast run blocker and more than capable catcher.

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEdHbqnCJ-I"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEdHbqnCJ-I[/url]

[size=6][b]On the Steelers: Unfriendly reunion awaits some old friends[/b][/size]
Saturday, November 12, 2011
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

When Carlos Dunlap lines up at left defensive end for the Cincinnati Bengals, all he has to do is look down the Steelers offensive line to see some old friends.

Not that they will be exchanging pleasantries during the 1 p.m. AFC North Division game at Paul Brown Stadium in Cincinnati.

Dunlap, who comes into the game in passing situations, is part of an eight-man rotation the Bengals use in their defensive line. When he plays, he will line up against right tackle Marcus Gilbert, his former University of Florida teammate. If he looks to his right, he will see another ex-Gator and friend, Maurkice Pouncey, at center.

And, if he wants to crane his neck, he will see another Florida alum, Max Starks, at the other end of the Steelers offensive line at right tackle.

Rest assured, they will not be doing any Gator Chomp when they are on the field at the same time.

"Between those white lines, when you step on field, no friends," said Gilbert, the Steelers rookie right tackle.

"We'll be going crazy during the game," Pouncey said. "But, after the game, we show Florida love."

The Steelers will not have time for frivolity against the Bengals (6-2), who have parlayed the play of rookie quarterback Andy Dalton and rookie wide receiver A.J. Green with a defense that is second against the run and fourth in total yards allowed in the NFL to tie for the AFC North lead with the Baltimore Ravens.

And they have to be especially careful with Dunlap, a second-round pick in 2010 who likely is the best pass-rusher on a unit that relies on its four-man line to generate pressure on the quarterback. The Bengals have 20 sacks in eight games -- 15 from their defensive linemen.

"He's a beast," Gilbert said of Dunlap, who had two of his three sacks in a 24-17 comeback victory Sunday in Tennessee. Dunlap injured his hamstring on the final sack, but is expected to play against the Steelers. "He's going to be one of those players you talk about for a long time. He's up-and-coming."

The Steelers already know that about Pouncey, who started all 16 regular-season games as a rookie and made the Pro Bowl in his first season.

And they are thinking the same about Gilbert, a No. 2 draft choice who has played very well since starter Willie Colon was placed on injured reserve after the opening game. Gilbert got off to a slow start at training camp when he reported overweight and injured his hamstring, but he has done nothing but impress the coaching staff since.

Gilbert said there is a reason three Gators will be in close proximity Sunday in passing situations.

"Competitive players come out of competitive programs," he said.

How competitive?

After the Steelers swept the Bengals last season, Pouncey said Dunlap spent the whole offseason claiming he gave him a cheap shot in one of the games.

"We argued about it the whole offseason," Pouncey said. "He said I hit him in the ribs when we played him and he even brought the film and said, 'Look, Pouncey, you cheap-shotted me. How do you do your boy like that?' I was like, man, Dunlap, leave it alone."

Gilbert and Pouncey are hoping they do not have to say the same thing to Dunlap about their quarterback, Ben Roethlisberger

"He's a speed guy, but he's also strong as ever," Gilbert said. "He doesn't look like it, but he's real strong. If he stays healthy, he has a bright future."

Just like his ex-Gator teammates.

[b]Woodley out again[/b]

Outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley will miss his second game in a row with a hamstring injury, but he is expected to return after the open week when the Steelers play Nov. 27 at Kansas City

Woodley has not practiced since he was injured Oct. 30 against the New England Patriots and already has been declared out of the Bengals game by coach Mike Tomlin, along with wider receivers Emmanuel Sanders (knee) and Arnaz Battle (hamstring).

Inside linebacker James Farrior, who has missed the past two games with a calf injury, is expected to return and start against the Bengals.

"I feel real good and I'm ready to go," Farrior said. "It's up to the coach now."

Also, Pro Bowl safety Troy Polamalu (ribs) returned to practice Friday after missing the previous two days and will start against the Bengals. Polamalu and Farrior are listed as probable on the team's official injury report.

[b]Quick turnarounds[/b]

Call it resolve, perhaps resiliency, but the Steelers have done a good job of bouncing back from defeats. Since the 2009 season, they have followed each of their past seven losses in the regular-season with a victory. Since '07, the Steelers are 16-5 after a regular-season loss. Four of those losses came in a five-game slide in '09.

"We take that in stride," Polamalu said. "Whether you win a big game [the week] before or lose a big game before, it's about isolating one week at a time and trying to maximize your performance for that one week.

"Our teams have great perspective. We're very humble in our approach, and I think that's kind of been -- that has been --the strength of our team, the perspective and humility that we have."

Read more: [url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11316/1189432-66.stm?cmpid=steelers.xml#ixzz1dUs6UhNJ"]http://www.post-gaze...l#ixzz1dUs6UhNJ[/url]

[b] [size=6]Bengals stress battle in trenches vs. Steelers[/size][/b]

By [email="rpaulk@tribweb.com"]Ralph N. Paulk[/email], PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Saturday, November 12, 2011

CINCINNATI — Despite their 6-2 start, the Cincinnati Bengals aren't going to be impressed with what they've accomplished unless they can defeat the Steelers on Sunday at Paul Brown Stadium.

The Bengals are confident and on a five-game win streak, their best run in 23 years. But most Bengals acknowledge they can't win six in a row if they don't dominate at the line of scrimmage. Their offensive line has been inconsistent, and the Steelers' revamped defensive front continues to improve.

"It's going to take a huge effort to win the battle in the trenches," center Kyle Cook said. "Everyone — tight ends and receivers — have to play well. That's the way it's been all year long. ... (Defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau) runs a good scheme. I can't say what they're vulnerable to, but you look at their personnel and you're reminded that they've won some championships."

Cincinnati has some work to do offensively. It is 10th in the AFC in total offense, ninth in passing and 11th in rushing.

"We went into the season knowing we had to play well on the offensive line," coach Marvin Lewis said. "There have been moments we've played well."

Andre Smith, a 6-foot-4, 335-pounder playing right tackle, has fared well during the winning streak. And the third-year pro won't have to deal with Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley, who will be sidelined again with an injured left hamstring.

"We weren't sure where we were going to be at that position," Lewis said.

The offensive front, anchored by right guard Bobbie Williams and left tackle Andrew Whitworth, hasn't been spectacular. But it has played well enough to protect rookie quarterback Andy Dalton, who has been sacked only 13 times -- compared to 26 for the Steelers' Ben Roethlisberger. (Backup Bruce Gradkowski has been sacked once.)

"We've had a few years to grow together," Williams said. "We know each other's tendencies and lingo, which makes a difference in the heat of battle."

Dalton has been poised under pressure, throwing for 1,696 yards, 12 touchdowns and seven interceptions. He'll be challenged by the AFC's third-best defense, which expects to show him a few unfamiliar looks to try to pull him out of his comfort zone.

"It's important to get any quarterback rattled — no matter if he's a rookie or not," linebacker James Harrison said. "If we let him get comfortable in the pocket, then you're going to get beat. (Dalton) is not a starter in this league for no reason. He can play the game."

The Bengals have had problems with Steelers nose tackle Casey Hampton. Cook faces a stiff challenge, but he'll probably get help from left guard Nate Livings and Williams.

"Whatever we do against them, we have to be consistent," Cook said. "You can't let one guy make a play one time and another make a play another time."

The Bengals' focus, it seems, is on the linebackers, particularly Harrison.

"Harrison plays the way he always plays," Whitworth said. "It's such a job having to shut him down, but we're excited about the challenge. It's the same old Pittsburgh team we've seen. They're just filling guys in."

On the defensive front, the Steelers actually are a different team than the one that swept the Bengals last season. The line may be aging, but LeBeau has turned to several young players — including Ziggy Hood, rookie Cameron Heyward and Steve McLendon — as the Steelers pursue their first win against an AFC North opponent.

Read more: Bengals stress battle in trenches vs. Steelers - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review [url="http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_766940.html#ixzz1dUsyfyLw"]http://www.pittsburg...l#ixzz1dUsyfyLw[/url]

[b]Jim S., from Boston, writes: [/b]Will [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/1494/hines-ward"]Hines Ward[/url] see limited snaps upon his return, and possibly be replaced in the starting lineup? He has contributed so much to the team over the years, but is it finally time for him to step aside and let the more explosive [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13934/antonio-brown"]Antonio Brown[/url] and [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13295/emmanuel-sanders"]Emmanuel Sanders[/url] get more reps?

[b]Jamison Hensley, from AFC North headquarters, responds:[/b] I've been convinced for weeks that the Steelers need to make the transition from Hines Ward to the speed combination of Brown and Sanders. The difference in explosion is clear cut when you look at the average yards per catch: Brown (13.8), Sanders (13.5) and Ward (9.9). Injuries have been a factor for Ward, who is averaging a career-worst 32.3 receiving yards per game. But let's not forget about Ward's impact on the running game as a blocker. According to [url="http://espn.go.com/blog/statsinfo/post/_/id/31360/steelers-run-game-not-same-without-ward"]ESPN Stats & Information[/url], the Steelers have averaged 119.4 yards per game when Ward plays and have averaged 101.0 in eight games [i]without[/i] Ward in that span.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/35565/afc-north-mailbag-95

[size=6][b] Big-play showdown[/b][/size]

By GEOFF HOBSON
Posted 2 hours ago

Mirror, mirror on the wall.
The Bengals.com Media Forum is looking like the Big Brother Machine of Punditry that buried the Bengals before the season with the doomsday scenario that ranked them last in everything from power rankings to mouthwash.

In Sunday’s AFC North showdown at sold-out Paul Brown Stadium with the Steelers (1 p.m.-Cincinnati’s Local 12), The Forum makes the Bengals slight underdogs to the hot arm of Pittsburgh quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and the cagey brain of Steelers defensive coordinator Charles Richard LeBeau.

But that is precisely why this Bengals team has such a better shot at beating the Steelers than their cousins of the recent past. These Bengals revel in being the underdog instead of railing about it.

The lone dissenter on this Board of Are You Sure You Want To Trust Us? is Joe Reedy, the inexhaustible Bengals beat man of [i]The Cincinnati Enquirer.[/i] Reedy put down his phone long enough to risk the homer tag by observing, “This sets up well for the Bengals. The Steelers are banged up, don’t get a bye week until next Sunday, they’re coming off a tough stretch with the Pats and Ravens, and the Bengals are playing in front of their first sellout at home and that can only add to their growing confidence.”

Reedy is backed up by this: Injuries have forced the Steelers to use eight different starting lineups on defense. Two weeks ago they played the Pats without linebackers James Farrior and James Harrison and last week they played the Ravens without Farrior and LaMarr Woodley. Only Woodley is going to be missing against the Bengals.

The locals immediately halved the hole.

Gerry Dulac, one member of the brilliant double-play combo covering the Steelers for [i]The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette[/i] with Ed Bouchette, likes the visitors because of how easily Roethlisberger is putting up points. Dulac, whose hole-in-one at Latrobe was reported to the clubhouse by Arnold Palmer himself, doesn’t think it’s going to be a tap-in. But while the Bengals have just adopted the resilient tag, Dulac has watched the Steelers use it to reach three Super Bowls in the past six seasons.

Don Banks of [i]Sports Illustrated,[/i] the man who played Johnny Depp in Donnie Brasco, thinks the Bengals are no longer undercover. He’s a big believer in defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer and Dalton made his first Rose Bowl trip a memory. But he also thinks this fellow LeBeau is going to enforce his brand of law on the kid in a Steelers victory.

Who thought back on Sept. 13 that Bengals-Steelers would attract a national media contingent? [i]The New York Times, S.I.,[/i] and three guys from ESPN are on the way, as well as Jim Corbett of [i]USA Today.[/i] The man from the nation’s paper is playing the numbers. LeBeau is 11-1 against rookie QBs, Ben is 6-1 at PBS, and he can’t see the Steelers falling to 0-3 in the division.
Let’s go around the table:

[b]BANKS[/b]

I vote for NFL Offensive Rookie of the Year and right now I would vote for Dalton. He’s got the wins. I went to the Rose Bowl and he was on the money on every third-down throw. When I saw how poised he was in that environment that was two-thirds Wisconsin fans, I knew I had to keep an eye on this guy and he’s been very good.

The Bengals are a dangerous team. They have an awful lot of talented players and have a lot to build on. Zimmer has done a great job with their defense. Very impressive that they haven’t allowed an offensive touchdown in the last two games in Pittsburgh.

LeBeau came in for some criticism playing bump-and run on that last drive against Baltimore when the corners really got exposed and the safeties didn’t take proper angles, so I think the Steelers are really going to concentrate on that because the Bengals have some talented receivers that can stretch the field.

[b]THE EDGE:[/b] Steelers, 23-20. LeBeau is going to give Dalton some looks he hasn’t seen before. I would say he’ll see some untraditional sets.

[b]REEDY[/b]

It sets up well. It helps the Bengals that this division stretch is coming in the second half of the season and not like in ’09 when it was at the beginning of the season. Their youth would have hurt them there.

They’re playing with confidence and even if the crowd is going to be 70-30 or 60-40, it’s going to help them. If they get down 10 Sunday, it won’t be over. They’ve come back on the road and were down 10 in Tennessee at the half last week. Nothing seems to faze them.

One of the big matchups is the Bengals corners on Steelers receivers Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown. I can’t think of two receivers the Steelers have had together with that much speed. Dare I say Swann and Stallworth? Everybody talks about Wallace, but Brown can stretch it, too. I remember that playoff game last year with Baltimore when he made the big deep catch late in the game.

And tight end Heath Miller is a dangerous threat, but I think the Bengals linebacking corps is a lot better to go up against Miller.

And then there’s LeBeau vs. (new Bengals offensive coordinator) Jay Gruden. I think Jay ought to be looking at the same game plan he used against Indy. He ran it just enough (31 carries for 94 yards) and used a lot short passes and screens. Quick drops, three-step drops so that Dalton can get rid of it quickly and the offensive line proved they could block it and protect the passer.

I think another big thing is going to be special teams. Last year when the Steelers beat the Bengals here (27-21), the Bengals gave up 13 points on special teams when [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/bernard-scott/4743d5f6-4661-44c1-a6da-d2970031e393/"][color=#F04E23]Bernard Scott[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/color][/url] fumbled the opening kickoff, the Steelers blocked a punt, and [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/mike-nugent/44701177-8bcb-4bb1-a348-e81af4d4583a/"][color=#F04E23]Mike Nugent[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/color][/url] missed a field goal that turned into a score at the end of the half.

This year special teams have been one of the Bengals’ big strengths. Plus, the Steelers punter just got hurt again (Daniel Sepulveda’s season-ending knee injury) and even though Jeremy Kapinos punted for them in the postseason he just got there eight days ago and he hasn’t punted here. The only time kicker Shaun Suisham was here was in ’08 with Washington and while Heinz Field is a tough place to kick, this place has challenges, too, with the wind.

[b]THE EDGE:[/b] Bengals, 20-17. They’re playing with confidence, they’re at home, and the Steelers are banged up coming off a tough stretch.

[b]DULAC[/b]

This is as tough a three-game stretch in the regular season as the (Steelers) have had since I can remember. The 5-1 Patriots, the 5-2 Ravens, and the 6-2 Bengals. And it’s as glum as I’ve ever seen them. They’re 0-2 in the division, they’ve already lost the tiebreaker to Baltimore, and they know it’s a long way back. They aren’t happy.

They’ve got some issues, but the one thing about this team is that they’re resilient. Being down in games or in a season doesn’t faze them, so this is just another bump in a road for the guys that have been here before and that’s most of them. It’s a veteran team that isn’t going to panic.

One thing they can do is score. Ben has been rolling it up and he showed you what he can do against the Patriots. They gave the Steelers the short pass and he took it and went right down the field on them.

They’ve got more quick throws in there than in the past. Three-, five-step drops and it’s helped them protect the passer in the last three weeks. (The Steelers are 23rd in allowing sacks per pass). In the first six weeks they had six different offensive line combinations, they’ve settled down the last three weeks with the same guys. (They’ve allowed eight sacks in the last three games after 18 in the first six.)

But they’ve also got the deep threat with Mike Wallace and Antonio Brown to go with that short passing game, and Ben has got a great rapport with Wallace. Already they’ve got six passes of 40 yards this season. (Three for TDs).

Interesting matchup. The Steelers right tackle is a rookie from Florida, Marcus Gilbert, and he’s been talking about what a good player [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/carlos-dunlap/4a065377-8081-4dc1-a80f-daf22d74ba67/"][color=#F04E23]Carlos Dunlap[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/color][/url] is, his college teammate. Now they go up against each other.

The defense has been good. It’s funny because they gave up that drive at the end against Baltimore at the end of last week’s game, but they had been playing the pass well. Their safeties just got over there late. But they don’t play the ball well and they don’t pick it off. Only two interceptions all year. They’re so regimented in making sure the ball doesn’t go over their heads and just keeping the ball in front of them that they don’t get interceptions.

One thing to watch, too is that the zone and the stretch running plays had given them some trouble earlier in the year, the kind of stuff [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/cedric-benson/4b42e3bf-7831-490c-97e2-523f8d4d2291/"][color=#F04E23]Cedric Benson[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/color][/url] has run on them in the past, but they’ve shored that up in the last couple of games.

They don’t turn it over, either, which is not like them. They’ve only forced four turnovers to this point and I saw a graphic somewhere that said it’s the fewest in nine games in history.

But they’ve played well without key guys and they’ll have James Harrison and James Farrior back on the field for the first time in a long time. They don’t have their other big outside rusher, LaMarr Woodley, but with the bye coming up they want to get him healthy. That will hurt them, but they’ve been getting pretty good play from Jason Worilds, their second-round pick from ’10.

[b]THE EDGE:[/b] Steelers, 23-16. It’s a tough game, it will be close but this is the kind of game the Steelers veterans have been able to win in this run when they need to have it.

[b]CORBETT[/b]

I don’t think the Bengals are going away this season, but I don’t see them winning Sunday. But it’s impressive what Marvin has done. He’s got them playing as a team and I read the other day where Whitworth said they don’t need captains. That’s impressive.

Ben has only lost once in that stadium and is really playing well in the passing game. The Bengals have some weapons with [url="http://www.bengals.com/team/roster/aj-green/d1e7b054-2722-4a10-9dad-687267489bd5/"][color=#F04E23]A.J. Green[img]http://www.bengals.com/assets/nflimg/icon-article-link.gif[/img][/color][/url], but they don’t have the weapons the Steelers have. They can put 30 on you.

LeBeau has such a great record against rookie quarterbacks with only one loss. Dalton has played well, but he’s going to see things that he hasn’t seen before. He’s played good defenses,
but not one as good as this. They changed it up all of a sudden on the Patriots. All of a sudden they went from zone to man and played it beat a great pass offense. That’s the kind of thing they can do to you.

The other big thing is that the Steelers are playing desperate. They know they can’t go down in the division at 0-3. If they do, it’s over so I think you’re going to see them pulling out all the stops and they’re going to be going all out to make sure they don’t so get so far behind in the race.

[b]THE EDGE:[/b] Steelers, 24-20. The Steelers are desperate and explosive.

[b]THE BOTTOM LINE[/b]

Lewis still maintains the two most physical games he’s experienced on the sidelines are the two games the Bengals beat the Steelers in 2009 to sweep the division. And they need to use the same script, which involves preventing the Steelers from pulling off a big pass or defensive play for a TD. The games are played so tightly with points at a premium between two top four defenses that one big scoring play either way has decided the last four games.

Last year at PBS, the Bengals lost by six with the difference a 39-yard trick TD pass to Wallace from wide receiver Antwan Randle-El. Two years ago at PBS, Bengals cornerback Johnathan Joseph returned an interception 30 yards for a touchdown. The difference in that one? Wallace fried Joseph on a 51-yard pass that should have been a 61-yard TD but he stepped out of bounds and the Steelers had to settle for a field goal and got beat, 23-20.

In the last two games in Pittsburgh, the Bengals have not allowed the Steelers an offensive touchdown. Cincinnati lost last season because Carson Palmer threw two pick-sixes. In ’09 the Bengals won because the biggest play they allowed Roethlisberger was a 21-yard pass and they got their explosive play from Bernard Scott’s kick return for a TD for the game’s only score.

In the last two years, it hasn’t been who scores last, but who scores biggest.

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Big-play-showdown/b7f9fc57-68fa-4bf2-ad90-2ba51a1b6f55"]http://www.bengals.c...90-2ba51a1b6f55[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' timestamp='1321106772' post='1060754'][url="http://twitter.com/#!/Carlos_Dunlap"]Carlos_Dunlap[/url]Carlos Dunlap 1day left [url="http://twitter.com/#!/Carlos_Dunlap/status/135336060052975616"]1 hour ago[/url][/quote]

I really don't see Dunlap missing this game. I think he will probably play a limited role like he did last year, but i think he has too much heart to sit this one out.

He seems to play even better when he gets a little extra rotation with Geathers. As big as this game is, i really don't wanna risk Dunlap getting hurt any more than he already is.

By the way, i can't believe Reedy actually picked us to win....seems like a hater most of the time this year

[quote name='unleashed' timestamp='1321118387' post='1060792']

I really don't see Dunlap missing this game. I think he will probably play a limited role like he did last year, but i think he has too much heart to sit this one out.

He seems to play even better when he gets a little extra rotation with Geathers. As big as this game is, i really don't wanna risk Dunlap getting hurt any more than he already is.

By the way, i can't believe Reedy actually picked us to win....seems like a hater most of the time this year
[/quote]

I just hope he's careful with it, because the more important game is next week.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1321103625' post='1060742']

I actually like Cochart more. Dude is a beast run blocker and more than capable catcher.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEdHbqnCJ-I[/media]
[/quote]

After watching this video I'm seeing what your saying. He is awesome as well. When did we get this guy? Did we draft him?
I still like Lee though. His vet presence is good for the younger TE's.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1321131285' post='1060811']

After watching this video I'm seeing what your saying. He is awesome as well. When did we get this guy? Did we draft him?
I still like Lee though. His vet presence is good for the younger TE's.
[/quote]

he's an undrafted rookie found by our paltry scouting department.

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' timestamp='1321131801' post='1060813']

We have him, Lee, Gresham and Scaife. Wonder who will go when the season is over. Scaife is another good TE as well.
[/quote]

lee and scaife won't exist together unless there's an injury. Both are 31 or over. Coffman is also still on the PS.

[size=6][b]Preview - Cincinnati Bengals/Pittsburgh Steelers[/b][/size]

Pittsburgh Steelers (6-3) at Cincinnati Bengals (6-2)

GAME SNAPSHOT
KICKOFF: Sunday, 1 p.m. ET
GAMEDATE: 11/13/11
SURFACE: FieldTurf
PREDICTION: Steelers 23-16

KEYS TO THE GAME: Bengals rookie QB Andy Dalton, a four-year starter at TCU, hasn't shown his inexperience but that could change against a high-pressure defense. He's learned to trust rookie WR A.J. Green even in tight coverage, keeping the offense churning despite RB Cedric Benson showing little burst. Without that big-play threat, the pressure -- quite literally -- is on Dalton. Steelers QB Ben Roethlisberger has three straight 300-yard passing games and has alleviated pressure with short drops and quick passes. Cincinnati needs its second-ranked run defense to stuff RB Rashard Mendenhall so Roethlisberger becomes more vulnerable in longer passing situations.

FAST FACTS: Pittsburgh is 11-1 against rookie starting quarterbacks under defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau since 2004. ... The Bengals have four defensive linemen with multiple sacks.

INSIDE THE CAMPS

Steelers

Injuries may play another important part in how the Steelers line up on defense against the Cincinnati Bengals as Pittsburgh tries to stay within a whisker of the top in the AFC North Division Sunday.

It appears that LaMarr Woodley, their sack leader with nine, will miss a second consecutive game with a hamstring injury. And now a new injury has popped up: safety Troy Polamalu, the 2010 NFL defensive player of the year, has missed both practices this week with a rib injury.

Polamalu is the one player who can affect the style of defense the Steelers play. Without him they have been at times ordinary on defense. They have won without Woodley and without James Harrison and James Farrior, but they rarely do so without Polamalu.

Farrior may return after missing two games with a calf injury, and James Harrison returned with a vengeance after missing four games with a broken orbital bone -- he had three sacks and a forced fumble against Baltimore last Sunday.

Hines Ward, knocked from that game by a helmet-to-helmet hit from Ray Lewis (which cost him $20,000), went through a full practice both Wednesday and Thursday and should play against the Bengals.

For the second straight week, quarterback Ben Roethlisberger will face one of the highest-ranked defenses in the NFL.

"I don't think they have one or two standout guys; they have 11, 12, 13, 14, guys that buy in, young guys with high motors on the outside at the end that get a lot of pressure on the quarterback," Roethlisberger said. "They do it with confusion. They do a lot of double-barrel stuff, things like that."

Bengals

Cedric Benson and the Bengals' running game gained a little more consistency in last week's win over Tennessee, but if they are going to win their sixth straight and beat Pittsburgh on Sunday, they need that to continue.

Benson averaged 3.9 yards per carry against the Titans, which was his highest per carry average since he ran for 104 yards in the Week 4 win over Buffalo. He also had four carries of 10 yards or more.

He is fourth in the AFC in carries (137) but the Bengals have been working Bernard Scott in more. With Pittsburgh and Baltimore coming up in back-to-back weeks, Benson has been looking forward to the resumption of division play.

"I've been waiting for these to come around and to get into some high intensity atmospheres," Benson said. "I felt good out there (last week). It was good to get some attempts, get a chance to make something happen."

Not since Rudi Johnson in 2004 has a Bengals running back rushed for over 100 yards against the Steelers and Benson had one of the worst games of his career the last time these two teams met with 19 yards on eight carries.

Said Benson about the run game in general: "Things are a little bit different this season. We're doing a lot more rotating, so I can't really address the consistency. Whether it's there, not there, when it's there when it's not there. I just try to be as consistent as I can be."

PERSONNEL NEWS

Steelers

--LB James Harrison says he was not fined for a hit against Ray Rice Sunday that ESPN said would "likely" draw a fine. Harrison, who led the Steelers with $100,000 in fines last season, hasn't been fined in 2011.
--DE Al Woods was claimed off waivers from Seattle. Woods, who spent the 2010 season on Pittsburgh's practice squad, will be the No. 4 end.
--QB Ben Roethlisberger, off to a blistering pace with 2,632 yards passing, has a slight right shoulder injury after he stretched his arm out to try to cross the goal line last Sunday. He is not on their injury list.
--WR Hines Ward needs 40 receiving yards to hit 12,000 and 20 receptions to hit 1,000. He is fourth on the team with 26 catches and 258 yards.
--WR Jerricho Cotchery is getting more playing time with Emmanuel Sanders out. Cotchery had three of his four 2011 receptions Sunday vs. Baltimore.

Bengals

--DE Carlos Dunlap (hamstring) did not practice for a second straight day and is questionable for Sunday's game.
--TE Jermaine Gresham (hamstring) did not practice and was limited on Wednesday. He is questionable for Sunday.
--CB Adam Jones (hamstring) did not practice and was limited on Wednesday. He is questionable for Sunday.
--TE Donald Lee (foot) did not practice for a second straight day. He is doubtful for Sunday.
--LB Rey Maualuga (ankle) was limited in practice but said his ankle feels better. He should start after missing the past three games.

[url="http://www.foxsportsohio.com/11/12/11/Preview---Cincinnati-BengalsPittsburgh-S/landing_bengals.html?blockID=602692&feedID=3665"]http://www.foxsportsohio.com/11/12/11/Preview---Cincinnati-BengalsPittsburgh-S/landing_bengals.html?blockID=602692&feedID=3665[/url]

[size=6][b]AFC's Hottest Teams To Square Off [/b][/size]

The Steelers are looking to rebound from their last-second loss last Sunday against Cincinnati Bengals, who are riding a five-game winning streak.

If not for a touchdown with eight seconds left last week, the Steelers would be playing the Cincinnati Bengals today in a matchup of the two hottest teams in the AFC.
As it is, the 6-3 Steelers have won four of their last five games and the 6-2 Bengals have won five straight. No one else in the AFC has a current win streak longer than three games.

The only blemish between these two AFC North contenders in the last five weeks was the 26-yard touchdown pass that beat the Steelers in the final seconds last Sunday. Coordinator Dick LeBeau explained Baltimore’s 92-yard final drive by saying, “We just didn’t get off the field. But we will next time.”

LeBeau’s defense should have it easier today against rookie quarterback Andy Dalton, but Dalton, while not flashy, is one of the more efficient quarterbacks in the AFC.

Not only is the rookie sixth in the conference with a passer rating of 85, he’s third in fewest sacks (12) and fifth in fewest interceptions (7).

The rookie quarterback doesn’t make game-killing mistakes. In fact, the Bengals’ red-zone percentage of touchdowns (52 percent) is better than the Steelers’ (47 percent). And in the last three games they rank first in the NFL in fewest yards needed per point.

That reflects positively on not only Dalton, but also on a defense/special teams that’s scored four touchdowns during the Bengals’ current win streak, and a place-kicker, Mike Nugent, who’s missed only one field goal this season.

These Bengals are quite efficient, even with a rookie quarterback at the helm.

“He’s so far ahead of me when I was a rookie it’s not even funny,” said former Bengals quarterback Boomer Esiason. “After my rookie year, [owner] Paul Brown and [coach] Sam Wyche were going into the offseason looking at each other cross-eyed.”

Dalton’s go-to receiver is also a rookie, and A.J. Green leads all NFL rookies in receptions (40), receiving yards (599) and receiving touchdowns (5).

“He’s one of the better first-year receivers that I’ve ever seen,” said LeBeau. “So quick, and he has speed and size.”

The other receiver, Andre Caldwell (26-195-2) caught the game-winning touchdown to beat the Steelers in 2009 at Cincinnati. Tight end Jermaine Gresham (25-231-3) is a dangerous weapon when healthy, but he’s questionable today with a hamstring injury that’s kept him out of the last two games.

The Bengals’ running game is familiar to Steelers fans. Cedric Benson (536-3.9) has played six games against the Steelers and averages only 3.3 yards per carry against them.

The Bengals’ bedrock, though, is a defense that’s on pace to set a franchise record for fewest points allowed. The Bengals are fourth in the NFL in fewest points allowed per game, second in rushing defense per game, and first in rushing yardage per play (3.3).

“[Mike Zimmer]’s a great coach and he’s got them playing hard,” said Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians. “They’re very sound in everything they do. They had a couple of nice acquisitions in the offseason and they have a four-deep rotation at defensive end with excellent young pass-rushers.”

Outside linebacker Thomas Howard and cornerback Nate Clements have been the Bengals’ key acquisitions. Also helping was the move of Rey Maualuga inside to give the Bengals speed and power at middle linebacker. Defensive ends Frostee Rucker, Robert Geathers, Carlos Dunlap and Michael Johnson make up the pass-rushing rotation.

“They have a quality, young, athletic group that’s tenacious,” said Steelers left tackle Max Starks. “They have veterans in the right places to keep the young guys at bay and on task.”

And to keep them running with the big dogs in the AFC.

[url="http://cin.scout.com/2/1128052.html"]http://cin.scout.com/2/1128052.html[/url]

[quote]
[b] Steelers look to avoid dubious streak[/b]

[size=3]November, 13, 2011[/size][center]
[size=3][size=3]By Jamison Hensley[/size][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333][size=3]Here's your game-day warm-up: [/size][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333][size=3]CINCINNATI -- The Steelers are looking to avoid their first 0-3 start in the AFC North when they play the Bengals at Paul Brown Stadium today. [/size][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333][size=3]Pittsburgh lost its first two division games this year when it got swept by the Ravens. The Steelers have only had one three-game losing streak in the division since the AFC North began in 2002. [/size][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333][size=3]A majority of the ESPN [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/picks"]NFL experts[/url] believe the Steelers will get their first division victory today. Six of the eight prognosticators have Pittsburgh (6-3) beating the Bengals (6-2), who have won five consecutive games (the longest current streak in the AFC). [/size][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333][size=3]ESPN's NFL experts also have the Ravens and Browns winning today. The Ravens (6-2) play at Seattle (2-6), and the Browns (3-5) are home against St. Louis (1-7). [/size][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333][size=3]Here are some story lines for today's games:[/size][/color][/size][/center][list]
[*][size=3][color=#333333][size=3][b]BENGALS[/b]: The loss of [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13274/carlos-dunlap"]Carlos Dunlap[/url], who is questionable, would hurt the Bengals' pass rush. But the tight end position could be more of a concern. Backup [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/4614/donald-lee"]Donald Lee[/url] is out and starter [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/13228/jermaine-gresham"]Jermaine Gresham[/url] is questionable. If Gresham is sidelined today, the Bengals would probably have to promote [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/12536/chase-coffman"]Chase Coffman[/url] from the practice squad since rookie [url="http://espn.go.com/nfl/player/_/id/14658/colin-cochart"]Colin Cochart[/url] is the only healthy tight end on the roster.[/size][/color][/size]
[/list]
[size=3][color=#333333][size=3][/quote][/size][/color][/size]

[size=3][color=#333333][size=3][url="http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/35625/steelers-look-to-avoid-dubious-streak"]http://espn.go.com/b...-dubious-streak[/url][/size][/color][/size]

Archived