Move Nate Clements to SS?

[quote name='scharm' timestamp='1328356379' post='1094003']
I would expect Mays to get first run at SS.
[/quote]

Based on the team we have now...FA could change that.

But IF you go into next season with Nelson and Mays penciled in as the starters at S and Hall and Clements penciled in as the starters at CB, you better have another guy or two at each position that is close to if not a starter caliber player.

What could also be an idea is resiging Adam Jones, drafting a CB in the first or second and going with Nelson and Mays at S.

Then youd use Hall, Jones, and Clements as your 1-3 corners, but on obvious passing downs I think you might be able to bring in the rookie at CB along with Jones and Hall, keep Nelson at FS, and slide Clements over to SS. Then you could potential have 5 DBs on the field that are all pretty good coverage guys.

Just a thought...this would obviously be if we didnt sign a SS that was better in coverage then Mays.

[quote name='AZBengal' timestamp='1328305249' post='1093914']
We really need help at the CB position and good CBs are hard to come by so let's take our best cover CB and move him to a different position. BRILLIANT.
[/quote]

You could have put that a few different ways...

Maybe you could have said:

"I think Clements is our best cover corner; moving him to safety is a bad idea. Finding good corners isn't easy. I would mess up a good thing."

Instead, you decide to post stuff like that. Why?

I think expecting anything from Mays next year is not wise. He has never been known for his hip movement or coverage ability and I don't expect that to change in one offseason. With his measurables he is certainly worth the risk and whatever we gave up for him (what was it again?) but that does not mean I would trust him yet.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1328374912' post='1094030']
I think expecting anything from Mays next year is not wise. He has never been known for his hip movement or coverage ability and I don't expect that to change in one offseason. With his measurables he is certainly worth the risk and whatever we gave up for him (what was it again?) but that does not mean I would trust him yet.
[/quote]

At the end of the day he's a former 2nd round pick that they liked on draft day, then traded for, then began to work in snaps.

I think he gets first shot, especially with Zimmer returning.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1328374912' post='1094030']
[/quote]

Yep agree. We ne a free agent or a stud safety in the first two rounds that isn't a project like Mays. Barron anyone

[quote name='SocalBengalEd' timestamp='1328447517' post='1094129']
Yep agree. We ne a free agent or a stud safety in the first two rounds that isn't a project like Mays. Barron anyone
[/quote]

I just don't see it being barron unless there's a trade. He's a reach at #21, and he won't last until 53.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1328448807' post='1094131']

I just don't see it being barron unless there's a trade. He's a reach at #21, and he won't last until 53.
[/quote]
I could see the Bengals trading down their 21st pick to bottom of first (or thereabouts) which would give them plenty of options from Sanu, Martin, and Barron regarding value.

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1328450969' post='1094135']
I could see the Bengals trading down their 21st pick to bottom of first (or thereabouts) which would give them plenty of options from Sanu, Martin, and Barron regarding value.
[/quote]

I could see it as well. It would net them at least an extra 3rd rounder, if not 2nd rounder. Good ammo to have in a draft deep at OG, CB, and RB.

Archived