Move Nate Clements to SS?

I know this got mentioned by someone a few weeks back. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I think Clements could be our Rod Woodson and extend his playing career as a Bengal, as a more than effective SS.

I wonder if the coaches would ever consider this move?

[quote name='EnglishBengal' timestamp='1328284723' post='1093826']
I know this got mentioned by someone a few weeks back. But the more I think about it, the more it makes sense. I think Clements could be our Rod Woodson and extend his playing career as a Bengal, as a more than effective SS.

I wonder if the coaches would ever consider this move?
[/quote]

I think you mean FS? One of the problems this team has is a bunch of SS trying to play FS. Well, I guess that is the way I see it. But I like the idea. And if Woodson would be brought on as an assistant coach. What better coach/mentor could there be for this type of switch.

clements has done well at CB... however changing him to FS IMO would be a great move if and i say if.... we address that positional need in the draft with a CB that can play now and pick up a FA - that can cover it as well.... Hall should be back.... I would count on it...

as far as woodson goes as a coach... i would think that would be awsome... i doubt it... but i would love the move....

We fans always come up with ideas like this and the coaches never do them. Sounds good in theory but there are so many things going on in the background we have no clue about.

If they would have just moved Tab Perry to safety a long time ago we wouldn't need one.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1328291945' post='1093859']
We fans always come up with ideas like this and the coaches never do them. Sounds good in theory but there are so many things going on in the background we have no clue about.

If they would have just moved Tab Perry to safety a long time ago we wouldn't need one.
[/quote]
Well at least we know mike brown has probably thought of it. Who knows if Nate would want to do it though? His big money days are over so he might be open to it, but he could also easily decide he doesn't want to

Whitworth would not make a good safety because he lacks lateral quickness :lmao:

With that hilarious joke said, Clements at FS makes perfect sense. I have for a long time thought that the key to FS is getting a guy who can cover. Hell put 4 CBs out there. Find 2 guys that can tackle well and put them back there. The SS has to be on the verge of evolving because you can't hit WRs over the middle anymore. A hard hitting in the box SS might as well be a hard hitting in the box LB.

This team needs to pick up two corners (1 FA, 1 draft pick)Achilles injuries are worse than knee injuries. If anyone expects hall to pick up where he left off is dreaming. He may be able to return, but he won't be the same. Hall is the same size as Crocker, why not move him to FS. He is one of the more physical corners in the league. He would be a huge upgrade over Crocker.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1328300757' post='1093899']
Whitworth would not make a good safety because he lacks lateral quickness :lmao:

With that hilarious joke said, Clements at FS makes perfect sense. I have for a long time thought that the key to FS is getting a guy who can cover. Hell put 4 CBs out there. Find 2 guys that can tackle well and put them back there. The SS has to be on the verge of evolving because you can't hit WRs over the middle anymore. A hard hitting in the box SS might as well be a hard hitting in the box LB.
[/quote]

Bingo.

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1328300757' post='1093899']

[/quote]

...IF the LB can cover like a safety, because the role of the athletic, pass catching TE is emerging as we speak.

[quote name='bengaled' timestamp='1328318458' post='1093967']

...IF the LB can cover like a safety, because the role of the athletic, pass catching TE is emerging as we speak.
[/quote]

LBs are getting faster and faster. My guess is that there wont be such thing as a SS soon enough.

For LBs who can cover. Emmanuel Lamur from Kansas State played SS his first three years and got moved to WLB as a senior. Big time playmaker from what I can tell

[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1328322321' post='1093977']

LBs are getting faster and faster. My guess is that there wont be such thing as a SS soon enough.

For LBs who can cover. Emmanuel Lamur from Kansas State played SS his first three years and got moved to WLB as a senior. Big time playmaker from what I can tell
[/quote]

a good part of that reason was he got bigger. a lot of college kids do that as they mature. 225 lb safeties are few and far between.

Archived