My take on potential draft needs

Jason

Position by position

[b]QB[/b] - Good to go at starter. Not sure how much longer Bruce will be here, but I'd rather go veteran than draft for our backup. [b]No draft need.[/b]

[b]FB[/b] - I'm OK with Presley, but would not object if they wanted to upgrade. Zach Boren anyone? [b]Not a draft need, but who knows.[/b]

[b]RB[/b] - After a decent start, I have soured somewhat on BJGE. I also think it may be time to look into a replacement for Scott. [b]A draft need. First 2 days possibly, and possibly 2 picks.[/b]

[b]WR[/b] - I'm comfortable with what we have. But if someone slides to the point where he is a value, particularly on Saturday I'd be ok with that. [b]No draft need.[/b]

[b]TE[/b] - Top 2 are good to go. Might consider a late pick or CFA on a blocking TE. [b]No draft need.[/b]

[b]O-line[/b] - Not an early need unless Andre gets away. May want to upgrade Roland though. [b]Possible late round need, to possible round 2 need.[/b]

[b]D-Line[/b] - Depends on re-signing MJ93. If he gets away it's an early need. If he gets re-signed, I'm content, even if we lose Geathers. [b]Possible draft need[/b]

[b]MLB[/b] - I believe either Resy steps up and keeps the job, or Burfict moves to MLB next year. We also have Muck who is solid depth. [b]No draft need.[/b] (I'm probably the only one who feels that way).

[b]OLB - Early need.[/b] Lawson has regressed, and Howard is coming off a serious injury. I would consider this a first 2 picks need. Dontay Moch could change that, but I'm not holding my breath.

[b]CB[/b] - I see this as an [b]early need[/b]. None of our CBs can run with Wallace or Torey Smith. And I'm not entirely convinced Dre is a man CB. Hall is a solid #2 when at full strength. But if we could get a great CB in 1, I'd jump on that.

[b]SS - Definite need.[/b] I don't see it in 1, but I'd love Vaccaro in 2.

[b]P/K - No draft need.[/b]

Pretty much agree. CB, S, LB, and RB all need to be addressed in the first 4 picks.

I think you go into the draft looking at either a MLB or OLB and take the best one available. With Burfict having the ability to play MLB or move outside gives you the option to take the best one available.

I think QB, TE and DT are definitely out in the first 3 or 4 rounds (DT the entire draft). DE as well provided they extend MJ giving them Dunlap/MJ/Gillberry/Moch/Anderson and potentially Geathers back (at a cheaper price tag).

I don't see Oline being drafted early unless they don't re-sign Andre Smith, who I don't see ever getting to free agency. Aside from Andre, Whit/Boling/Zeitler/Robinson/Collins/Cook are all under contract. A pretty good top 7.

I feel safe in saying at this point that the first round pick will be a LB, RB or safety. I think RB is gonna deep enough that you don't need to take one in the first round, but wouldn't complain with a Lattimore.

My pick right now in the first would be LB Arthur Brown from Kansas State. From what I've watched, he's a very good LB in pass coverage and solid in run support.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1350042597' post='1169225']
I think QB, TE and DT are definitely out in the first 3 or 4 rounds (DT the entire draft). DE as well provided they extend MJ giving them Dunlap/MJ/Gillberry/Moch/Anderson and potentially Geathers back (at a cheaper price tag).

I don't see Oline being drafted early unless they don't re-sign Andre Smith, who I don't see ever getting to free agency. Aside from Andre, Whit/Boling/Zeitler/Robinson/Collins/Cook are all under contract. A pretty good top 7.

I feel safe in saying at this point that the first round pick will be a LB, RB or safety. I think RB is gonna deep enough that you don't need to take one in the first round, but wouldn't complain with a Lattimore.

My pick right now in the first would be LB Arthur Brown from Kansas State. From what I've watched, he's a very good LB in pass coverage and solid in run support.
[/quote]

Spikes and Simmons weren't great, but they were serviceable, but when is the last time the Bengals took a LB in the first round that lived up to expectations?

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350051394' post='1169267']
Spikes and Simmons weren't great, but they were serviceable, but when is the last time the Bengals took a LB in the first round that lived up to expectations?
[/quote]

Spikes was great. Had he played anywhere else he would have gone to multiple pro bowls.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1350070885' post='1169420']
Spikes was great. Had he played anywhere else he would have gone to multiple pro bowls.
[/quote]

Out of all the recent LBers drafted in the league, other than Bosworth, what linebacker disappointed you the most?

I'm going to go with Quentin Coryatt. The hits he put on players in college was sick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1vCZ6zt4Es

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1350071237' post='1169422']
Out of all the recent LBers drafted in the league, other than Bosworth, what linebacker disappointed you the most?

I'm going to go with Quentin Coryatt. The hits he put on players in college was sick.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1vCZ6zt4Es[/media]
[/quote]

Rivers.

Needs
QB: Dalton 2014; Gradkowski FA, Robinson PS
No need. Whether or not you have lost faith in Dalton he has played well enough to be given 2013

RB: Green-Ellis 2014, Pressley 2013; Scott FA, Leonard FA, Peerman RFA, Herron PS, Brooks PS
Law firm runs hard but there is nothing special here. Pressley is solid. I would be interested to see the percentage of snaps Leonard actually plays because while I like him I am not sure he is worth his roster spot. Wouldn’t mind seeing him more often at FB in order to have more variety in sets. This will be addressed early or in FA.

WR: Green 2014, Hawkins EFA, Jones 2015, Sanu 2015, Binns 2013, Whalen 2014; Tate FA
There is likely only 1 spot available for next year if there is one at all. If we can find a KR elsewhere Tate is likely gone. I could see Sanu/Binns or Jones all playing the second WR role.

TE: Gresham 2014, Charles 2015; Quinn FA
No need here other then getting these guys more involved.

OL: Whitworth 2013, Collins 2013, Boling 2014, Wharton 2014, Cook 2014, Robinson 2014, Zeitler 2015; Faine FA, Smith FA, Roland FA, Hudson PS, Adams PS
LT, LG, RG all should be fine. I have never been a huge cook fan but C should be fine. RT will be the question mark. 3 options are currently on the roster Collins, Wharton and a resigned Smith. Would love others insight on how Boling-Faine and Smith have played this year. Throw in Zeitler and Whit if you wish.

DL: Dunlap 2013, Atkins 2014, Peko 2014, Thompson 2014, Still 2015, Anderson 2013; Geathers FA, Gilberry FA, Johnson FA, Sims FA (I thought we dropped him but he is listed on the roster), Evans PS
Re-signing Johnson will be important. He and Andre are the 2 biggest FA’s for sure. Geathers is replaceable, Anderson or even Fanene may do that.

LB: Burfict 2013?, Mich 2014, Muckleroy 2013; Howard FA, Lawson FA, Mualaga FA, Skuta FA, Rey FA, Lamur PS
We could literally have 3 new starters in 2012. We also could have 3 familiar guys. A scenario of SLB-Mualaga, MLB-Burfict, WLB-Howard doesn’t sound too bad. In an ideal world we add a veteran with a strong presence to help guarantee Burfict stays the course. This may be need 1, 2 and 3. We certainly must take a guy in the first few rounds here. I wonder if the Panthers would have any interest in trading Beason with Kuechly there now and Beason coming off a bad injury?

DB: Hall 2015, Nelson 2015, Kirkpatrick 2015, Allen 2013, Mays 2014, Iloka 2015, Sands 2014, Ghee 2013, Prater 2015, Rogers 2014, Dye 2013; Clements FA, Miles FA, Crocker FA, Newman FA, Jones FA, Lewis-Harris PS
I think CB will work itself out and there is talent there all be it injured talent. Safety is missing another cover and playmaker.

With all this said my order would be[list=1]
[*]LB
[*]S
[*]LB
[*]RB
[/list]

In free agency we only really have 2 guys we have to have back in Johnson and Smith. Everyone else we can upgrade fairly easily or is coming off injury so they will be a question mark.

I like our chances for Marvin’s solid bounce back year in 2013.

• 2 months later...
I am beginning to think it will be a good idea to draft a Tackle early. Probably someone who can play LT. I am not talking about in round 1, but someone who can eventually play the position. I can envision a scnario where Smith is Franchised this year and then left to walk next when we have to pay Atkins and Dunlap. At that point the early draft pick could step into his place and, if we take a guy who can swing to LT, he can eventually take over ie swap places with Whitworth. I really want Whit to retire here.

[quote name='alleycat' timestamp='1356104826' post='1196080']
Michael, I just want to say that I am very impressed with the conversation that you are having with yourself :)

I'll try to participate to keep it going.

I don't imagine we'll see many folks around here our ultimate fate this season is known.
[/quote]

Then we will already have the primer on for a very developed conversation

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1349986819' post='1168955']
Position by position

[b]QB[/b] - Good to go at starter. Not sure how much longer Bruce will be here, but I'd rather go veteran than draft for our backup. [b]No draft need.[/b]

[b]FB[/b] - I'm OK with Presley, but would not object if they wanted to upgrade. Zach Boren anyone? [b]Not a draft need, but who knows.[/b]

[b]RB[/b] - After a decent start, I have soured somewhat on BJGE. I also think it may be time to look into a replacement for Scott. [b]A draft need. First 2 days possibly, and possibly 2 picks.[/b]
[color=#ff0000][b]Bennie is playing better as the line has improved. I want a complementary speed back, but I would not draft a back in the first 2 rounds (unless Barner grades out that high).[/b][/color]

[b]WR[/b] - I'm comfortable with what we have. But if someone slides to the point where he is a value, particularly on Saturday I'd be ok with that. [b]No draft need.[/b]

[b]TE[/b] - Top 2 are good to go. Might consider a late pick or CFA on a blocking TE. [b]No draft need.[/b]

[b]O-line[/b] - Not an early need unless Andre gets away. May want to upgrade Roland though. [b]Possible late round need, to possible round 2 need.[/b]

[b]D-Line[/b] - Depends on re-signing MJ93. If he gets away it's an early need. If he gets re-signed, I'm content, even if we lose Geathers. [b]Possible draft need[/b]

[b]MLB[/b] - I believe either Rey steps up and keeps the job, or Burfict moves to MLB next year. We also have Muck who is solid depth. [b]No draft need.[/b] (I'm probably the only one who feels that way).
[color=#ff0000][b]Rey has stepped up. He's not the beast people thought he would be when we drafted him, but he's "adequate" when he keeps his weight in check. But I think Burfict will start on the outside next year, and Muck is gone. Maybe a mid round pick for depth.[/b][/color]

[b]OLB - Early need.[/b] Lawson has regressed, and Howard is coming off a serious injury. I would consider this a first 2 picks need. Dontay Moch could change that, but I'm not holding my breath.

[b]CB[/b] - I see this as an [b]early need[/b]. None of our CBs can run with Wallace or Torey Smith. And I'm not entirely convinced Dre is a man CB. Hall is a solid #2 when at full strength. But if we could get a great CB in 1, I'd jump on that.
[b][color=#ff0000]I don't see it as an early "need" anymore, but still would not object if they took a CB with speed in the first 2 rounds.[/color][/b]

[b]SS - Definite need.[/b] I don't see it in 1, but I'd love Vaccaro in 2.

[b]P/K - No draft need.[/b]
[/quote]

Re-evaluations in [b][color=#ff0000]red[/color][/b].

yea I'm torn on what to do at LB next year. Do you move Burfict to MLB and hope he explodes, all the while either going new at the other two spots or move Maualuga back to SLB and hope he can re-learn it easy.

Or do you keep Rey in the middle (or someone else), let Burfict continue to grow and roam free at WLB, and not have to worry about being the leader of the D, making the calls, etc...

There's a case for moving Burfict to his natural position, but I also think there's a case to be made for not putting a lot of pressure on a kid who has been known to fly off the handle.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1356126006' post='1196218']
yea I'm torn on what to do at LB next year. Do you move Burfict to MLB and hope he explodes, all the while either going new at the other two spots or move Maualuga back to SLB and hope he can re-learn it easy.

Or do you keep Rey in the middle (or someone else), let Burfict continue to grow and roam free at WLB, and not have to worry about being the leader of the D, making the calls, etc...

There's a case for moving Burfict to his natural position, but I also think there's a case to be made for not putting a lot of pressure on a kid who has been known to fly off the handle.
[/quote]

It might all depend on Mualaga's price tag and how well other suitors drive him up. If Zimmer does indeed get a head coaching job Mualaga might be a centerpiece for him. (Also have to think about Michael Johnson here) (and Wallace Gilberry and Robert Geathers to a lesser extent.)

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='MichaelWeston' timestamp='1357266538' post='1203188']
Whats the difference between us and the best teams in the league? What would you add to this roster to unquestionably be able to say we could play with anyone?
[/quote]

I think you have to upgrade the offense to be able to compete with any team in the NFL. The defense could use some upgrading here and there but at the end of the day they are top ten defense and played lights out in the second half of the season.

I would focus on adding either a great RB or a legit number two WR. If you look at the rest of the teams in the playoffs they either have a great one-two combination at receiver or have an elite RB that they can turn around and hand the ball off to. This team does not have a RB that they can consistently rely on to win games or have a legit number two wide receiver that they can trust when teams shutdown AJ.

If you can can get a offense that can consistently put points on the board, this team will be nearly unbeatable with the way the defense has been playing.

Honestly I think the difference is Andy. This defense is as good as any. The o-line is solid. AJ is as good as anyone and Gresham can be. Not saying Andy can't lead us to a Super Bowl, but he needs to take the next step in his development.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1357269408' post='1203200']
Honestly I think the difference is Andy. This defense is as good as any. The o-line is solid. AJ is as good as anyone and Gresham can be. Not saying Andy can't lead us to a Super Bowl, but he needs to take the next step in his development.
[/quote]

Yep

The thing about Dalton that I dont like,is when ever there is a DL or LB near him ,he curls up and lets himself get sacked.Why doesnt he get out of the pocket and run around like Big Ben and try to make a play

Archived