A Review of Cloud Atlas ~ by BlackJesus

BlackJesus

[b]I saw [color=#0000CD][i]Cloud Atlas[/i][/color] tonight and feel safe in saying that it should be required viewing for the entire human race. It brilliantly weaves an intertwining narrative on the universality of human nature, creating a visionary and thought-provoking sense of all that is profound, meaningful, and meaningless in life. Its thesis is that the actions and consequences of our reincarnating lives impact one another like links in a chain throughout the past, present, and future; allowing a single act of kindness to ripple throughout eternity and ultimately inspire a revolution. Lastly, its diagnosis on the repercussions of predacity, where individuals prey on individuals, groups on groups, nations on nations, and tribes on tribes – couldn't be more prescient to our current day society. The moral of the story being that true compassion can only arise out of the plane of consciousness where I am you. I give it 5 out of 4 stars and would implore everyone to see it.[/b]

[center][b][url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hWnAqFyaQ5s[/url][/b][/center]

So your saying it is like that movie "A Sound of Thunder," or the movie "The Butterfly Effect?"

When I saw the trailer for this movie, it got quite confusing. So this most definitely must be a movie where you pee before the movie so you don't go during the showing, and be lost on the plot.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351317542' post='1174930']
So your saying it is like that movie "A Sound of Thunder," or the movie "The Butterfly Effect?"
[/quote]
[b]Much better.[/b]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351317542' post='1174930']
When I saw the trailer for this movie, it got quite confusing. So this most definitely must be a movie where you pee before the movie so you don't go during the showing, and be lost on the plot.[/quote]
[b]It's almost 3 hours and sort of an intertwined clusterfuck (for many) - but that is what makes it so brilliant as it leads up to the final climax. [/b]

I'm curious to see this but will probably wait till it gets Netflixed. I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it, not only for its entertainment value but all for the thoughts and questions it provoked. It's the kind of story which seems to me to be difficult to turn into a movie, so we'll see.

In the meanwhile, Lincoln is coming... .

I watched this extended trailer and I can't believe they used the line, "If you fall, I will catch you." I know it's from a song but I can't remember which. It goes something like, "If you fall, I will catch you. Waiting all alone, right here in front of you." Something like that. Seems like maybe it's an 80's song, along the lines of a Michael Bolton type genre.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351346365' post='1174945']
I watched this extended trailer and I can't believe they used the line, "If you fall, I will catch you." I know it's from a song but I can't remember which. It goes something like, "If you fall, I will catch you. Waiting all alone, right here in front of you." Something like that. Seems like maybe it's an 80's song, along the lines of a Michael Bolton type genre.
[/quote]

It's your fault that I'm posting this. ^_^

[media]http://youtu.be/CVS5rS_da9E[/media]

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351463538' post='1175243']
Interesting movie. Very buddhist.
[/quote]

There must not be very many Buddhist in the U.S. because Yahoo says it's a huge flop according to how much it cost to make versus it's box office take. Ouch, could it be the end of Tom Hanks as a leading role?

[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1351345337' post='1174942']

In the meanwhile, Lincoln is coming... .
[/quote]

Or this. The book was hysterical. You should read it to satisfy the "light reading, quasi-historical" portion of your brain, Homer. C'mon, I know you have one. It may yet be shriveled from age and disuse, but it's there. Spongebob Squarepants once loquaciously opined that it was called a "laugh box", and donated a portion of his to Squidward, the most cynical, unhappy creature under the sea.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1351467607' post='1175259']
Or this. The book was hysterical. You should read it to satisfy the "light reading, quasi-historical" portion of your brain, Homer. C'mon, I know you have one. It may yet be shriveled from age and disuse, but it's there. Spongebob Squarepants once loquaciously opined that it was called a "laugh box", and donated a portion of his to Squidward, the most cynical, unhappy creature under the sea.
[/quote]

Are you talking about the movie with Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Fields, or the Lincoln Vampire Hunter?

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351471326' post='1175283']
Yeah Homer is talking about the movie Lincoln which was based off Doris Kearns Goodwin's book Team of Rivals.

Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter was kind of entertaining in a campy way.
[/quote]

I just don't see how a team of Daniel Day-Lewis and Sally Field could be funny. I read the article on yahoo with Sally Field and how she had to fight with Spielberg to let her be Mary Todd Lincoln. He said she was too old looking to be Daniel Day-Lewis' husband. Could you imagine telling your wife or something they are too old looking?? Dude...

Sorry I guess I misunderstood Bunghole's statement as it was going to be a comedy, instead that it would funny how moments in the movie would be historically incorrect.

That movies is packed with leading actors that are stars on there own. Plus it has Kelly Leak in it!

Day-Lewis looks good as a Lincoln with whatever makeup he has on. I just envisioned Lincoln to have a deeper voice, because of his height and the disease some say he had.

[quote][url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abraham_Lincoln"]Abraham Lincoln[/url] was once thought to have had Marfan syndrome, but geneticists believe it unlikely, although he had some of the normal characteristic features.[/quote]

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351465691' post='1175255']
Yahoo says it's a huge flop according to how much it cost to make versus it's box office take.
[/quote]
[b]Not enough teen vampires or werewolves ... plus light on the cleavage and CGI explosion per-minute ratio ...[/b]

[b][i]Idiocracy[/i] truly is becoming a documentary. We're degenerating as a society. [/b]

[quote name='BlackJesus' timestamp='1351483328' post='1175326']
[b]Not enough teen vampires or werewolves ... plus light on the cleavage and CGI explosion per-minute ratio ...[/b]

[b][i]Idiocracy[/i] truly is becoming a documentary. We're degenerating as a society. [/b]
[/quote]

That's just it, because of things happening to movies, like what is going with "Cloud Atlas" it causes there to be less movies out there like it. Even if something that comes in is a kick ass script, the big studios will either not buy into it, or put a budget on it, that can only be filmed haphazardly. So then it turns out to be a movie you were expecting to be a lot better than it was.

Now a second thing that can happen with these films is like what happened with "Battleship." The director can't get a studio to fund his film the way he wants it, and the director ends up footing the rest of the film. The film flops and the director loses his ass. How many directors are really going to take that chance?

So in the end you either get studio flops, that causes them to be trigger shy. You also get movies that sound like they would be kick ass, and come out as a sleeper. The last thing is you get a director that tries push a good movie through the system and ends up broke and never attempts to make a high dollar movie again.

It's the way of Hollywood anymore.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351358756' post='1175010']
I was iffy about this but now I will go see it.

Cant wait for that Lincoln movie either Homer.
[/quote]

Willie hated it, Kevin McCarthy (Sports Junkies/FOX 5 in DC movie critic) went middle ground, one of my stepbrothers loved it.

Take that for what it's worth.

Ah, I didn't realize that [i]Team Of Rivals[/i] was being made into a movie. I seriously thought Homer was referring to [i]Vampire Hunter[/i]...which actually is a really fun book.

Well shit, add [i]Team Of Rivals[/i] to the list then. Can't wait.

[quote name='Bunghole' timestamp='1351526126' post='1175388']
Ah, I didn't realize that [i]Team Of Rivals[/i] was being made into a movie. I seriously thought Homer was referring to [i]Vampire Hunter[/i]...which actually is a really fun book.

Well shit, add [i]Team Of Rivals[/i] to the list then. Can't wait.
[/quote]

A ha, so dementia still isn't hitting me yet.

My daughter and I saw it Saturday. About half way through I wanted my money back but the second half of the movie finally starts pulling the story lines together, at least for me. Two days later I still can't decide if I liked it or not or if I would recommend it or not.

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Homer_Rice' timestamp='1351345337' post='1174942']
I'm curious to see this but will probably wait till it gets Netflixed. I read the book a few years ago and really enjoyed it, not only for its entertainment value but all for the thoughts and questions it provoked. It's the kind of story which seems to me to be difficult to turn into a movie, so we'll see.

In the meanwhile, [b]Lincoln is coming... .[/b]
[/quote]

vampires beware.....

Archived