Off Season Thread

Jason

I'm not sure the stats, but I know Hannigan had a good percentage of gunning down base runners. He did have some passed balls. Some Reds' pitchers have wicked sliders. Not much you can do about that.

So Leake isn't in the running for the Silver Slugger Award at pitcher?

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351555702' post='1175544']
This thread title gave me a sad.
[/quote]
Myself, as well.

One error away from knocking the champs out..

Hopefully we can get a guy who can hit with RISP. I think that is the largest weakness on this team. Too reliant on the long ball, and the ball just doesn't carry in October. We scored good runs in October, but could you imagine this team scoring runs on a night like tonight off a guy like Sabathia or Verlander? It would be rough. I think Frazier will help improve that. Joey getting to full-strength will go a long way. A guy like Melky is intriguing to me but that is just my opinion.

We took really good steps this past off-season. Let's make consistent contender moves this off-season.

[quote name='Jamie_B' timestamp='1351604272' post='1175598']
yeah i'd like to find a way to get an extra bat as well
[/quote]

Depending on if they resign ludwick, a leadoff hitting CF will be a bigger priority.

Ie trade for span or fowler or something. Or maye sign Bourne.

Imagine

1. Fowler
2. Phillips
3. Votto
4. Ludwick
5. Bruce
6. Frazier
7. Cozart
8: hanny and mes. Maybe if mes's bat gets up to potential move him up.

Same 5 in the rotation. Chapman closer a lot of the same pen maybe add one guy. Cingrani prob as the 6th guy out of the rotation starting in LOU

[quote name='BigDawgBengal' timestamp='1351653208' post='1175801']
No gold gloves for the Reds this year.
[/quote]

I would have to believe that Brandon would have gotten one if he wasn't injured during the season. I can not for the life of me see how one of the top defensive team in all of Major League Baseball can't have a Gold Glove winner. Hell, I think Bronson Arroyo played as a great defensive pitcher this year.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351655873' post='1175807']
I would have to believe that Brandon would have gotten one if he wasn't injured during the season. I can not for the life of me see how one of the top defensive team in all of Major League Baseball can't have a Gold Glove winner. Hell, I think Bronson Arroyo played as a great defensive pitcher this year.
[/quote]

Brandon didn't win because of Barney's streak. Joey didn't win because of his injury, and Stubbs didn't win because of his bat.

Still a raw deal though.

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1351680687' post='1175821']
Brandon didn't win because of Barney's streak. Joey didn't win because of his injury, and Stubbs didn't win because of his bat.

Still a raw deal though.
[/quote]

Barney's streak?

I thought John Fay's comments yesterday were interesting.

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/johnfayman"][b]John Fay[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]johnfayman[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Re Gold Glove: You can argue advanced defensive stats. But I think it came down to Phillips rubbing managers, coaches the wrong way.[url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23reds&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]reds[/b][/url][/background][/font][/color]

[quote name='T-Dub' timestamp='1351731480' post='1176052']
Why does the CF have to hit lead-off?
[/quote]

The CF doesnt HAVE to lead off, but who else is going to? I'd much rather have BP in the 2 hole with a solid leadoff hitter. If you resign Ludwick for LF, CF is the only open position.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351732612' post='1176066']
The CF doesnt HAVE to lead off, but who else is going to? I'd much rather have BP in the 2 hole with a solid leadoff hitter. If you resign Ludwick for LF, CF is the only open position.
[/quote]

Well Phillips started quite a few games at lead-off. If Hamilton is in the majors next year he will be playing lead-off. You ask why center fielders bat lead-off, well generally they are the fastest players and are a threat to steal. So they may have a good on-base percentage, but a poor slugging percentage. They reach base more and force the opposing pitcher to pitch from the stretch versus the windup. Not to mention they are on base so that the slugger further down the line-up have more guys on base to knock in.

Adam Dunn would have unbelievable stats if the Reds had a true leadoff when he was in Cincy. You would be amazed at how many solo homeruns Dunn had. It was like a 75% to 80% percentage of solo homers to homers with a guy on base.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351732160' post='1176061']

Barney's streak?

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
[url="https://twitter.com/johnfayman"][b]John Fay[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]johnfayman[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color][color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]
Re Gold Glove: You can argue advanced defensive stats. But I think it came down to Phillips rubbing managers, coaches the wrong way.[url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23reds&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]reds[/b][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Barney went 141 straight games without an error this year. Only 2 errors all year at second. Tough to beat that.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351733982' post='1176074']
Well Phillips started quite a few games at lead-off. If Hamilton is in the majors next year he will be playing lead-off. You ask why center fielders bat lead-off, well generally they are the fastest players and are a threat to steal. So they may have a good on-base percentage, but a poor slugging percentage. They reach base more and force the opposing pitcher to pitch from the stretch versus the windup. Not to mention they are on base so that the slugger further down the line-up have more guys on base to knock in.

Adam Dunn would have unbelievable stats if the Reds had a true leadoff when he was in Cincy. You would be amazed at how many solo homeruns Dunn had. It was like a 75% to 80% percentage of solo homers to homers with a guy on base.
[/quote]

Once again I think we are better if Phillips is in the 2 slot and not batting lead off. Hamilton wont be up this year. A one year CF stop gap leadoff hitter would be great. Maybe Denard span or something.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351735939' post='1176083']
Once again I think we are better if Phillips is in the 2 slot and not batting lead off. Hamilton wont be up this year. A one year CF stop gap leadoff hitter would be great. Maybe Denard span or something.
[/quote]

Oddly enough Phillips had better stats leading off than he had batting second or third. He also had better stats then the average of all the other guys that played leadoff during the year. I'm not sure what to with Stubbs. The guy is so freaking fast, and is a pretty good defensive player. So where does he go? The Reds need to bring Ludwick back next year. If Ludwick plays the full season as left fielder he might have broken 40 homers. So then what happens to Heisey? Heisey really didn't play that bad when given the chance. So basically the Reds need to decide what they are going to in left, if Chapman is going to be a closer or a starter, and where they can find another starting pitcher. If Chapman becomes a starter, then they have to decide if Marshall is the starter or go pick up a new closer. Marshall struggled quite badly as a closer, but regained his form when he went back to being a setup pitcher.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351736580' post='1176086']
So basically the Reds need to decide what they are going to in left, if Chapman is going to be a closer or a starter, and where they can find another starting pitcher. If Chapman becomes a starter, then they have to decide if Marshall is the starter or go pick up a new closer. Marshall struggled quite badly as a closer, but regained his form when he went back to being a setup pitcher.
[/quote]

We already have 5 starters...in case you forgot we had the same 5 starters all last year and they are all under contract for 2013 so it will likely stay the same. Outside shot that chapman gets converted and Leake gets moved or something, but more likely chap will close.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351738051' post='1176096']
In 2012 BP hit .202 in the leadoff spot. Maybe in 2011 he was good at leadoff but not 2012.
[/quote]

I might be wrong, I remember the announcers making a big deal how Phillips was hitting well at lead-off, then he got hurt. When he came back they moved him down in the lineup and he couldn't hit worth a crap. So they moved him back to lead off for the remainder of the season. Personally I don't want Phillips in the lead-off spot because he strikes out too much and has power. He also had a down year in 2012 for stolen bases. The Reds could go back to Votto in the #2 spot and Phillips batting third. Rolen may or may not be back next year. If not Frasier takes his place. That really leaves no clean up hitter on the roster unless they trade for someone or bring Ludwick back.

#1- Note sure just yet
#2- Votto
#3- Phillips
#4- Bruce
#5- Ludwick
#6- Fraiser
#7- Cozart
#8- Hanigan
#9- Pitcher

That's still a pretty goo line-up.

[quote name='JBandJoeyV' timestamp='1351738234' post='1176097']
We already have 5 starters...in case you forgot we had the same 5 starters all last year and they are all under contract for 2013 so it will likely stay the same. Outside shot that chapman gets converted and Leake gets moved or something, but more likely chap will close.
[/quote]

I'm not sure Arroyo will be in the starting rotation next year, let alone on the team. I really like Leake because he also bring a good bat to the party. Beyond Cueto and Latos, the starting pitchers were inconsistent. The bullpen helped a lot of starters win games. The bullpen was rock solid. Homer Bailey was a perfect example of inconsistency, he could throw a no-hitter one night, and give up 8 runs in the first 4 innings the next.

[quote name='Bengals1181' timestamp='1351732160' post='1176061']
Barney's streak?

[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)][url="https://twitter.com/johnfayman"][b]John Fay[/b] ‏[size=3][s]@[/s][b]johnfayman[/b][/size][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[color=#333333][font=Arial, sans-serif][background=rgb(245, 245, 245)]Re Gold Glove: You can argue advanced defensive stats. But I think it came down to Phillips rubbing managers, coaches the wrong way.[url="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23reds&src=hash"][s]#[/s][b]reds[/b][/url][/background][/font][/color]
[/quote]

Nope. He's been flashy for years and already won 3. It didn't bother them then. It was the streak.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351738547' post='1176099']

I might be wrong, I remember the announcers making a big deal how Phillips was hitting well at lead-off, then he got hurt. When he came back they moved him down in the lineup and he couldn't hit worth a crap. So they moved him back to lead off for the remainder of the season. Personally I don't want Phillips in the lead-off spot because he strikes out too much and has power. He also had a down year in 2012 for stolen bases. The Reds could go back to Votto in the #2 spot and Phillips batting third. Rolen may or may not be back next year. If not Frasier takes his place. That really leaves no clean up hitter on the roster unless they trade for someone or bring Ludwick back.

#1- Note sure just yet
#2- Votto
#3- Phillips
#4- Bruce
#5- Ludwick
#6- Fraiser
#7- Cozart
#8- Hanigan
#9- Pitcher

That's still a pretty goo line-up.
[/quote]

No way in hell they move votto out of the three spot. No frickin way.

And Phillips only lead off for a week or two before getting hurt and overall numbers lead off weren't good this year although they were solid in 2011.

Ideal world though BP is 2 and votto 3.

[quote name='Lewdog' timestamp='1351738758' post='1176100']

I'm not sure Arroyo will be in the starting rotation next year, let alone on the team. I really like Leake because he also bring a good bat to the party. Beyond Cueto and Latos, the starting pitchers were inconsistent. The bullpen helped a lot of starters win games. The bullpen was rock solid. Homer Bailey was a perfect example of inconsistency, he could throw a no-hitter one night, and give up 8 runs in the first 4 innings the next.
[/quote]

I know you hate arroyo but he isn't going anywhere. We owe him a good amount of money and he is almost guaranteed to pitch 200 plus innings with an era in the 3s or low 4s. That's valuable whether you see it or not.

Archived