Future Concern

This is something I suppose is considered each and every year...but it has been on my mind during this draft.

It has been evident that the recent drafts have had Zimmer/Gruden marks all over them. They are getting "their guys" for "their systems".

With success comes opportunities. We have been dodging bullets for two years now with losing Zimmer or Gruden or both to HC positions elsewhere. By this time next year I have no doubt one or both will be gone.

The future concern for me is: you will have all of these pieces for systems that will no longer be here. Anyone who comes in will want "their system". Will the present pieces fit?

All hypotheticals I know, but something to consider.

i guess they will have to hire coordinators that fit this crop of bengals players.  This type of system is obviously working so that would be the way to go. 

Luckily the bengals did not draft a bunch of players for a system and it did not pan out.  Then and only then would they be in a position to blow up what they had in place. 

Luckily thats not the case. 

And who knows, I think Gruden will eventually be out and good for him. 

But Zimmer, (and i might be wrong) has had chances to leave and did not accept the job (or maybe he was not accepted for the job, or just turned down open interviews). 

Maybe some can refresh my memory on his past offseason job searches but i thought he was not a HC by now simply by choice. 

Believe it or not the sky is not falling :)

Typically, wholesale system changes occur when you aren't doing well.  My guess is that, in both cases, we'd either promote someone in house or bring in a guy who would be similar if we had big success.

I full expect both of them to leave after we win the Super Bowl.  Or I could see one of them taking over for Marvin as he "retires" into the GM position.

When Marvin himself came in we didn't instantly go 3-4, which is what he knew, or toss out the OC and offense wholesale.  I think the organization and Marvin value continuity enough that the coach will have to adapt somewhat to what we have rather than blow things up.

Zimmer certainly deserves a head coaching gig. I thought he would get one this offseason but it seems likely he'll get one next year if the defense continues to play well. Gruden doesn't really deserve a HC job yet. While he has a broad background from his time in the AFL, he's only been an NFL coach for 2 seasons with average results. 

Zimmer certainly deserves a head coaching gig. I thought he would get one this offseason but it seems likely he'll get one next year if the defense continues to play well. Gruden doesn't really deserve a HC job yet. While he has a broad background from his time in the AFL, he's only been an NFL coach for 2 seasons with average results. 

You're absolutely right, Zimmer has earned a head coaching job already while Gruden has not. Yet why am I so convinced that Gruden will get a HC shot before Zimmer will?

You're absolutely right, Zimmer has earned a head coaching job already while Gruden has not. Yet why am I so convinced that Gruden will get a HC shot before Zimmer will?

Zimmer wasn't starting from such a chaotic situation with nothing set up for him like Gruden did in '11.  Well, Zim's first year was pretty similar, but he didn't have the nation watching and expecting the team to fail.

I think we should compromise and say both should stay here instead of going elsewhere.

Correct, it was Bum Phillips referring to Shula.

Here's the article it was from:

Sports of The Times; At Age 62, Don Shula Is Still Going Strong
By DAVE ANDERSON
Published: November 01, 1992

WHEN the Dolphins were on a 6-10 treadmill four years ago, the cynics had Don Shula all figured out. The game had passed him by. At age 58, he was too old to be coaching in the National Football League. He couldn't relate to today's players. His concepts and strategy were out of sync with those of all the bright young coaches. He ought to retire before he disappears under all that tarnish.

But now, instead of Don Shula disappearing, the cynics have.

As the Miami Dolphins awaited today's game with the Jets, they were leading the American Conference East with a 6-1 record. Even at age 62, their coach didn't seem quite so old anymore. He still knew how to relate to today's players. His concepts and strategy somehow were in sync with those of all the bright young coaches. Nobody was suggesting that he retire.

[b]"Don Shula can take his'n and beat your'n," Bum Phillips, then the Houston Oilers coach, once said in his Texas twang. "Or he can take your'n and beat his'n."

In his 30th season, Don Shula is still justifying Bum Phillips's wisdom.[/b] Not even Tom Landry or Chuck Noll lasted quite this long. Most of the best N.F.L. head coaches seem to come and go in 10-season spans. That's all the time Vince Lombardi had. Bill Walsh did it for a decade. Bill Parcells lasted nearly a decade. Tom Flores did it for nearly a decade, and now he's back. After a decade, Mike Ditka seems to be smoldering more than usual, the first sign of burnout.

The flame inside Shula burns as smoothly as his pursuit of George Halas's career record for N.F.L. coaching victories. Shula has 312 now. He should break Halas's 324 early next season.

"That 10-year thing, that's Al Davis's theory, but it doesn't apply to everybody," Shula was saying now. "I always looked to guys like Tom Landry and Chuck Noll, and Chuck Knox, he's been doing it 20 years. Only a few years ago, the Cowboys, the Steelers and the Dolphins were in a down cycle and everybody was saying that Tom, Chuck and I couldn't do it anymore, but I never believed that."

Landry was dismissed in a change of Cowboys owners. Noll decided to retire. But the jut-jawed Dolphins coach is still on the sideline.

"I've been very fortunate with my health," Shula said. "In 30 seasons with the Colts and the Dolphins, I've missed only one practice. At training camp a few years ago I needed arthroscopic surgery on my left knee. I spent the morning practice in the doctor's office."

He returned to the Dolphins complex in time for that afternoon's practice, supervising it from a golf cart.

"Another reason," he said, "is that I've coached for two organizations where the owners, Carroll Rosenbloom with the Colts and Joe Robbie with the Dolphins, have let me make the decisions that affect the players on the field. That's saved me a lot of problems."

Since Shula began making those decisions in Miami in 1970, the Dolphins' .672 winning percentage (224-109-2) is the best of any team in America's four major sports. The basketball Lakers and Celtics share second place, each at .668; the hockey Canadiens are fourth at .656.

Undefeated seasons just don't happen in the N.F.L., but Shula had one: his Super Bowl VII champion Dolphins were 17-0.

"When we started out with six straight wins this year, people were starting to ask me to compare this team with the 1972 team," he said. "I told them, 'It's a little early for that.' It sure was. We let last week's game with Indianapolis slip away."

Shula's record total of six Super Bowl teams includes another record: His Dolphins are the only team to go to the Super Bowl three years in a row. After losing to the Cowboys in VI, the undefeated 1972 team beat the Redskins and the 1973 team beat the Vikings.

http://www.nytimes.com/1992/11/01/sports/sports-of-the-times-at-age-62-don-shula-is-still-going-strong.html

When Marvin himself came in we didn't instantly go 3-4, which is what he knew, or toss out the OC and offense wholesale.  I think the organization and Marvin value continuity enough that the coach will have to adapt somewhat to what we have rather than blow things up.

Marvin is a 4/3 guy, not sure what you're talking about

Archived