Roster Battles Poll

44 members have voted

1. 1. #2 Quarterback

2. 2. #3 and #4 Running Back (pick 2) and Full Back (pick 1)

• Cedric Peerman
    • Bernard Scott
    • Rex Burkhead
    • Daniel Herron
    • FB Chris Pressley
    • FB John Connor
    • Not keeping a full back on roster to start season
  3. 3. #5 and #6 Wide Receiver (Pick 2)

4. 4. Tight End (pick 1)

• Orson Charles
    • Alex Smith
    • Robert Quinn
    • We're keeping 4 (pick 2 then)
  5. 5. Offensive Line (pick 3)

• OT Dennis Roland
    • OT Reid Fragel
    • OG Travelle Wharton
    • OG Clint Boling
    • OG Tanner Hawkins
    • OG Mike Pollak
  6. 6. How badass is our defensive line?

• Best in the NFL
    • I'm an idiot
  7. 7. Linebacker (pick 2)

• WLB Emmanuel Lamur
    • WLB Vinny Rey
    • WLB Thomas Howard
    • SLB Aaron Maybin
    • SLB Dontay Moch
    • SLB Brandon Joiner
  8. 8. #5 cornerback (pick 1)

• Brandon Ghee
    • Shaun Prater
    • Chris Lewis-Harris
    • Troy Stoudmire
    • We keep 6 (pick 2 then)
  9. 9. Safety (pick 3)

• Jeromy Miles
    • Taylor Mays
    • George Iloka
    • Robert Sands
    • Tony Dye
    • We only keep 4 safeties (then only pick 2)

Quarterback

Lock - Andy Dalton

Battle for #2 - John Skelton, Josh Johnson, Zac Robinson

Notes - Skelton has the most NFL experience and productivity but Johnson and Robinson are much more familiar with Gruden's offense.

Running Back

Locks - Benjarvus Green-Ellis, Giovani Bernard

Battle for #3, possibly #4 too - Cedric Peerman vs Rex Burkhead vs Bernard Scott vs Dan Herron

Notes - They kept 4 last season and it would make sense to keep 4 again. Peerman is a special teams ace so I think he's close to a lock. The battle for the last spot will be tough.

Full Back

Lock - Pressley

Battle for starter - John Connor could get the nod if Pressley's hasn't recovered but there's no way he beats him out

Notes - Pressley is a lock if he's healthy. However, he suffered an injury later in the season and may start the season on the PUP. If he's not good to go I think Connor still gets cut and they roll out Orson Charles as the blocking back.

Wide Receiver

Locks - A.J. Green, Mohamed Sanu, Andrew Hawkins, Marvin Jones

Battle for #5 and #6 - Ryan Whalen vs Brandon Tate vs Cobi Hamilton vs Dane Sanzenbacher vs Onterio McCaleb

Notes - This is going to be a war. Whoever they feel contributes the most on special teams will get the #5 spot. The #6 is usually a developmental type guy who doesn't dress. They did keep 7 last year but I don't see that happening again in the new 2 tight end offense.

Tight End

Locks - Jermaine Gresham, Tyler Eifert

Battle - Orson Charles vs Alex Smith vs Robert Quinn.

Notes - Could very easily keep 4 tight ends in this new offense. If they go with 3 I have to give Charles the edge because of his age.

Offensive Line

Locks - Andrew Whitworth, Andre Smith, Anthony Collins, Kevin Zeitler, Kyle Cook, Trevor Robinson

Battles - Dennis Roland vs Reid Fragel at OT, Travelle Wharton vs Clint Boling vs Tanner Hawkinson vs Mike Pollak at OG

Notes - We usually keep 9 offensive lineman. Battles are too close for me to call at this moment. I'd have to think Wharton gets the nod at LG if he's healthy. 

Defensive Line

Locks - Michael Johnson, Carlos Dunlap, Wallace Gilberry, Margus Hunt, Robert Geathers, Geno Atkins, Domato Peko, Devon Still, Brandon Thompson

Battles - None

Notes - I think everyone can agree this is pretty much set in stone.

Linebacker

Locks - Vontaze Burfict, Rey Maualuga, James Harrison, Sean Porter

Battle for last 2 spots - Emmanuel Lamur vs Vinny Rey vs Aaron Maybin vs Dontay Moch vs Brandon Joiner vs possibly Thomas Howard

Notes - I think Lamur is a lock personally but most people might not. It sounds very possible that Howard re-signs but with Burfict, Lamur and Porter at WLB already what's the point? The back ups are heavily involved in special teams so whoever shines the most there gets the spots. We normally only carry 6 linebackers on the roster.

Cornerback

Locks - Leon Hall, Adam Jones, Dre Kirkpatrick, Terence Newman

Battle for last spot(s) - Brandon Ghee vs Shaun Prater vs Chris Lewis-Harris vs Troy Stoudmire

Notes - It's not out of the realm of possibility that we keep 6 corners and only 4 safeties. Lewis-Harris has the most experience but Ghee and Prater have a lot more talent. Stoudmire is a great returner and could stick on special teams.

Safety

Locks - Reggie Nelson, Shawn Williams

Battles - Jeromy Miles vs Taylor Mays vs George Iloka vs Robert Sands vs Tony Dye

Notes - We usually keep 5 safeties but there's a lot more talent at corner that could stick so 4 wouldn't be surprising. Miles is an ace on special teams but doesn't add anything to the defense. Mays has a ton of athletic ability which still hasn't translated on the field. Iloka and Sands are recent mid round picks who haven't gotten to show anything on the field.

I could see going with Josh Johnson for the wrinkles he could add to the offense.

Peerman, Burkhead, Presley.  Herron to PS if eligible.

Sanzenbacher (ok, I'm a homer, but he has played well) and Tate (he will still be the #1 KR) McCaleb and Hamilton to the PS

Orson - More upside, H-back capability

Fragel, Wharton and Boling (who will start).  Hawkinson to the PS

Keep Lamur and Howard, Joiner to PS

Ghee and Prater

Iloka and Dye

basically bengaled is claiming Hawkins was only 2nd in receptions by WR's because most of the rest of the unit was too sucky or too injured to pass him.

I know, I am trying to remember who got hurt and for the life of me I can't think of someone. Sanu got hurt at the end of the year when Hawkins numbers declined. In fact I think he has made an interesting point. Maybe Hawkins will go off next year because he plays so well in space and Sanu and Eifert will provide that space for him.

Boling shouldn't even be part of the poll. He is a lock.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I disagree with the 24/25 before me who had Wharton making the team. With a cap figure of almost 3.5M, he will almost definitely have to beat out Boling to stay on the team. And that will be very, very tough to do for a 32 year old guy who tore his ACL 7 months ago.

I know, I am trying to remember who got hurt and for the life of me I can't think of someone. Sanu got hurt at the end of the year when Hawkins numbers declined. In fact I think he has made an interesting point. Maybe Hawkins will go off next year because he plays so well in space and Sanu and Eifert will provide that space for him.

Hawkins, Sanu, Binns, and Jones all missed games due to injury.

Marvin Jones was hurt for a while also.

Marvin Jones was hurt at the start of the year, Hawkins was hobbled in the middle, Sanu was out at the end.

I also think that the Bengals waiting to see how Howard's rehab goes may be just as much them waiting to see how Lamur, Porter and the other guys look. If they look like high quality backups who could step in for an injury, the Bengals may not bring back Howard no matter how his rehab goes. Or for example, they could offer him 1 year, less than a million. If that is the offer, he may pass and wait for an injury elsewhere so that he can step in as a starter for somebody.

I personally really like Howard and do hope he is back. But if Lamur looks improved from last year in OTAs and Porter looks like the real deal this summer, we would probably be just fine with a guy like Rey as the 6th LB and special teams ace.

i'm not sure i'd agree he'll "go off", because i don't think he'll have that many opportunities, but i do think he'll be more effective (bigger gains) in those limited opportunities. we used him way too much last year, but we had to when we got so decimated by injuries.

Boling shouldn't even be part of the poll. He is a lock.

Mentioned this in another thread, but I disagree with the 24/25 before me who had Wharton making the team. With a cap figure of almost 3.5M, he will almost definitely have to beat out Boling to stay on the team. And that will be very, very tough to do for a 32 year old guy who tore his ACL 7 months ago.

not if he gets a fair, honest shot to do so....not if they're smart. again, so much depends on his level of recovery. if he comes in 100%, i remain convinced he's a better player than boling.

Archived