Vontaze Burfict 2012 highlight video

1:50 mark is why so many don't like Rey. If he'd just fill he'd be a force out there.

Yup.  Rey just waits in the hole for the runner to come to him while Vontaze fills it.

In fact, I'd say that that whole video is a catalogue of why Burfict is better than Rey.

How many times have we seen Rey run an A gap blitz to the quarterback unabated - only to whiff?

Burfict is just a football player with great instincts.  He's decisive and has great closing ability, tracks the cut-backs, and, though somehow because of one or two times when he got beat last year the CW on here is that he' can't, he's very good in pass defense.  

I'm excited to see him grow with an off-season under his belt and Harrison playing the role of tutor.

Yup.  Rey just waits in the hole for the runner to come to him while Vontaze fills it.

In fact, I'd say that that whole video is a catalogue of why Burfict is better than Rey.

How many times have we seen Rey run an A gap blitz to the quarterback unabated - only to whiff?

Burfict is just a football player with great instincts.  He's decisive and has great closing ability, tracks the cut-backs, and, though somehow because of one or two times when he got beat last year the CW on here is that he' can't, he's very good in pass defense.  

I'm excited to see him grow with an off-season under his belt and Harrison playing the role of tutor.

Let's not put the cart before the horse.  The Bengals defense gave up 11 passing touchdowns last year.  Burfict had a direct hand in 5 of those 11.

"very good pass defense" isn't accurate at this time.

Let's not put the cart before the horse.  The Bengals defense gave up 11 passing touchdowns last year.  Burfict had a direct hand in 5 of those 11.

"very good pass defense" isn't accurate at this time.

I was targeting that comment directly at you and you swallowed the bait whole.

We're going to have this problem for the rest of time 1181.  You still look at stats, I still watch how a guy plays the game.  Have you ever seen Rey M. make a play like the one Burfict makes on top 5 pick Justin Blackmon in that video?  As I said, he may have been beat a few times, but he was a rookie who was thrown in fast - and the raw ability is simply undeniable.  He flashed it in the pre-season with the INT and he kept it alive throughout the remainder.  

Simply put, he has the understanding and ability to diagnose, read and react, instincts - whatever you want to call it, that flat-footed Rey M can only dream about.  

And I expect bigger things from him this year.

I was targeting that comment directly at you and you swallowed the bait whole.

We're going to have this problem for the rest of time 1181.  You still look at stats, I still watch how a guy plays the game.  Have you ever seen Rey M. make a play like the one Burfict makes on top 5 pick Justin Blackmon in that video?  As I said, he may have been beat a few times, but he was a rookie who was thrown in fast - and the raw ability is simply undeniable.  He flashed it in the pre-season with the INT and he kept it alive throughout the remainder.  

Simply put, he has the understanding and ability to diagnose, read and react, instincts - whatever you want to call it, that flat-footed Rey M can only dream about.  

And I expect bigger things from him this year.

goody for you, I figured you were.  It doesn't change the facts.  I expect him to get better, but no one can rationally say he was "very good in pass defense" last year.  You're only kidding yourself.  

And lol at "I don't care if he gives up touchdowns, I trust my eyes."

Give me links to the 5 touchdowns he "gave up" and then we'll talk.  You've long ago disqualified yourself from a simple reading of player performance (Cook, Maulauga, etc.), so hit me a link with the clips and we'll walk through them.

Give me links to the 5 touchdowns he "gave up" and then we'll talk.  You've long ago disqualified yourself from a simple reading of player performance (Cook, Maulauga, etc.), so hit me a link with the clips and we'll walk through them.

oh no, a "movie director" questioned my football credibility.

Off the top of my head:

@jax, beat in man coverage by Marcedes Lewis

Pitt:  bit on a pump fake to the opposite field, opening the throwing lane for the Heath Miller TD

Cle:  failed to pick up Richardson out of the backfield, his man.  Richardson takes a screen 20 or so yards for a TD.

Denver:  he and Maualuga let Dreesen split them for a TD.

The 5th I'd have to go re-hunt down, which I'll leave to your expert football tutelage.

clips.

And while you're at it, put together a nice highlight reel of our other LB's that looks half as good as Vontaze's.  I'll be particularly focused on all of the amazing pass defense on display.  In fact, if you can put together a reel with Rey that has even a quarter of the highlights that Vontaze's have, I'll give you a double dog bonus.

I'm not questioning your football credibility.  I'm questioning your ability to use your eyes, analyze, and interpret. We're talking about much more significant problems than football credibility here :D

clips.

And while you're at it, put together a nice highlight reel of our other LB's that looks half as good as Vontaze's.  I'll be particularly focused on all of the amazing pass defense on display.  In fact, if you can put together a reel with Rey that has even a quarter of the highlights that Vontaze's have, I'll give you a double dog bonus.

I'm not questioning your football credibility.  I'm questioning your ability to use your eyes, analyze, and interpret. We're talking about much more significant problems than football credibility here :D

why do you keep insisting on bringing up Maualuga in a Burfict conversation?  Deflect much?

Burfict has plenty of promise, but he, nor any of the LB's, were "very good in pass defense" in 2012.

No way he gave up 5 tds. Just like u protect maualuga when u say we don't know his assignments its ok for u to blame Burfict for giving up a td. Burfict was a bad ass last year and should only get better.

where am I protecting Maualuga?  He was average in 2012, and I've always maintained that.

Burfict was a bad ass run defender last year.  He was average in pass coverage, and something he'll eventually get better at.  But for 2012, he was average.

why do you keep insisting on bringing up Maualuga in a Burfict conversation?  Deflect much?

Burfict has plenty of promise, but he, nor any of the LB's, were "very good in pass defense" in 2012.

Not deflecting, just bringing up someone who you go out of the way to defend when talking about someone you go out of the way to limit.  And I'm more than a little suspicious that you're guilty of transferring critiques of one guy's play on the guy next to him.  Sort of like how you often try to blame Cook's failings on his guards.

Again, Burfict may have gotten beaten, but he's got serious skills in pass defense to go along with his other merits. 

anyone else find the irony of posters treating Burfict with the same kid gloves that they accuse others of doing with the likes of Dalton, Maualuga and Cook?

Burfict was a rookie, he made mistakes.  It's to be expected.  It's ok to accept.  

Not deflecting, just bringing up someone who you go out of the way to defend when talking about someone you go out of the way to limit.  And I'm more than a little suspicious that you're guilty of transferring critiques of one guy's play on the guy next to him.  Sort of like how you often try to blame Cook's failings on his guards.

Again, Burfict may have gotten beaten, but he's got serious skills in pass defense to go along with his other merits. 

I hope you write scripts better than you re-write history. ;)

oh no, a "movie director" questioned my football credibility.

Off the top of my head:

@jax, beat in man coverage by Marcedes Lewis

Pitt:  bit on a pump fake to the opposite field, opening the throwing lane for the Heath Miller TD

Cle:  failed to pick up Richardson out of the backfield, his man.  Richardson takes a screen 20 or so yards for a TD.

Denver:  he and Maualuga let Dreesen split them for a TD.

The 5th I'd have to go re-hunt down, which I'll leave to your expert football tutelage.

Just because I had time today I went back and looked at these 4. I would guess not one of those plays was considered a negative play by Burfict in the coaches review. Pinning any of the 4 on Burfict other than Jax is very questionable.

Just because I had time today I went back and looked at these 4. I would guess not one of those plays was considered a negative play by Burfict in the coaches review. Pinning any of the 4 on Burfict other than Jax is very questionable.

I said he had a hand in them (ie failing to pick up a guy, getting out of position by biting on a pump fake, etc) not that all 5 were entirely on him.  

And I bet the coaches commented on him in pretty much every case, as well as other guys who screwed up.  

Again, he was a rookie, he made mistakes.  Let's stop pretending he didn't. 

I'm sure he made plenty of mistakes, but I don't think these are good examples of that.

Jax- Clearly his man, had solid coverage, got beat by a good throw, diving catch and possibly a little bit of a push off. Definitely on him, but he couldn't have played it much better.

Pitt- His drop was clearly to the strong side of the formation away from the side Miller was on. Newman had miller in man coverage. Its possible he made a mental mistake and was supposed to drop left, but neither of us know that. There was no pump fake.

Cle- He immediately starts into a pass rush and pays no attention to Richardson. So again, either he made a mental mistake or he wasn't involved at all. Impossible to know. Also can't really blame him for half the defense missing tackles on that play which is what turned it into a TD.

Den- Dreesen is lined up farthest outside with Lawson playing him at the line. Maluaga is in a normal OLB position on that side with taze in a MLB type spot. Dreesen does end up behind Taze when he catches the ball, but considering he is still on the left side of the field when he catches it and Taze is the farthest right of the 3 LBs on the field I can't imagine that was his responsibility. All the LBs seemed to be confused and play it pretty poorly though. 

well one was in the Jacksonville game.  I wouldn't say the coverage was bad, though

I do think there is a little trade off in a Rey/Vontaze combo vs. if you have Rey or Vontaze at MLB and a smaller, quicker guy like Porter at WLB. We basically have 2 MLBs out there which is great for the run D and the general physicality of the D. Not sure of their exact playing weights but Rey and Vontaze both play like 250 pound guys. That is an advantage not only on plays they make, but in plays where they stand up a FB or pulling guard instead of getting pushed back, which allows another guy to make the play. Just based on their size and how they are built, they are probably never going to be elite in coverage.

Porter and Lamur both have more upside in coverage, but you probably lose something in physicality. Both are built kind of long and lanky, which can help in coverage (especially against TEs) but makes it tougher in the trenches where low man wins.

Seems like at least for now the Bengals have decided they will sacrifice the occasional plays in pass coverage in exchange for having two bruisers out there almost every play. However, Lamur and Porter do give them some flexibility to play matchups, especially on third down and long. It is possible both could come on in those situations, but more likely is just one will with Rey or Vontaze coming off.

anyone else find the irony of posters treating Burfict with the same kid gloves that they accuse others of doing with the likes of Dalton, Maualuga and Cook?

Let me explain the difference to you. It's called upside/potential.  Guys like Maulauga and Cook have disqualified themselves from the upside/potential conversation.  They have hit their ceilings and still aren't satisfactory, despite more than enough opportunities. 

Guys like Burfict and Dalton are defended because they are rookies on the upswing, that are improving until further notice (nice effort, trying to throw me in the Dalton detractor camp; I'm a clear supporter).  That's the difference.  If you're willing to choose a limited, highly suspect vet over a youngin' with clear upside then I don't know what to tell you.  But Burfict in his first year walked onto this squad and outperformed Rey in every measure.  So while you malign a guy like Burfict and defend the mediocrity of a guy like Rey M, you can expect me to stand up to that shit every time.

Burfict was a rookie, he made mistakes.  It's to be expected.  It's ok to accept.  

Absolutely, and I'll challenge you to find an instance where I was using "kid gloves" to defend him.  I plainly stated that he may have been burned , but nowhere near the frequency or the the degree you attributed to him. I completely accept his limitations, and in actuality, because he had so few as a baptism-by-fire rookie, I'm greatly encouraged.

I went on to say that Burfict is a good pass defender, and then you responded by citing him for 5 of our 11 pass TDs this season.  And then something Glorious happened.  Third party, objective observers jumped in and pulled your pants down.  You spit out highly factual sounding stats like "5 out of 11" and then when pressed immediately had to top it off at 4.  Furthermore, when those 4 examples are actually analyzed, your interpretation is directly challenged.  

And let's be clear hear.  We have a long and varied history of you assigning blame to one player to defend another (typically your favored player, i.e. Rey and Cook). In fact, I accused you of this very thing before Coup jumped into the fray.  As it happens, I'm now finally back and my laptop, so rather than rely on you to provide the requested clips (you did not), and despite coup's rep-boosting contributions, we can throw the plays in question up here now for all to see and judge for themselves.  Shall we?

Jax:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012093009/2012/REG4/bengals@jaguars?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights&tab=recap

As has been stated, Burfict got beat here.  But as has also been stated, that was about as good as coverage as you can ask for. Well, we could have asked for a hair more, which is that he could have turned back to find the ball).  Still, even had he done so, the ball was perfectly placed.  Leon hall has numerous moments in his career when he's been torched by a perfect throw, and we'd both agree that he's pretty good in coverage.  The reality is (as the cliche goes), the perfect throw will beat perfect coverage every time, and has no defense.  

Further, if we look at this game in context, we'll see that it was very early on in Burfict's ascendency and learning curve.  The guy had just started playing and was all over the right guy - meaning, he made the right read and he put himself in his hip-pocket.  You can't ask for more than that from your LB covering a move TE, much less a rook who just started playing with the big boys (and forget about seeing that from Rey M).  But let's go ahead and give you this one.  Burfict gave up a defensive TD.

CLE:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091606/2012/REG2/browns@bengals?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights&tab=recap

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!  Seriously man, you attributing this to Burfict simply exposes the fact that you don't know what your talking about, at the very least regarding LB play.  Burfict is CLEARLY blitzing around the LE, so much so that he continues to pursue Weeden after he steps up into the pocket.  You know who was responsible for the RB?  I'll give you a hint, his initials are RM.  In that scenario the MLB has the responsibility for the RB coming out of the backfield in EVERY CASE.  It's POSSIBLE (though unlikely) that he could have been responsible for a TE releasing, but you know what?  THERE WAS NONE!

That was Rey's guy 100%, and if you need any more evidence just watch what he does after the snap: he runs around like a chicken with his head cut-off, and turns his back to the LOS (a MAJOR no-no) without even having anyone to pursue or anyone entering his zone.  He was confused, lost, whatever, but it's practically criminal that you want to pass that on a promising young rookie.  So 1-1 now.

PIT:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012102110/2012/REG7/steelers@bengals?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights%7CcontentId%3A0ap2000000083179&tab=analyze&recap=fullstory

Another interpretation that makes me  :facepalm:

Miller was so much Terrence Newman's man that Newman was about 6 inches away from making the play.  Especially on the second angle you can clearly see that he's Newman's man all the way, and the moment Miller makes his cut Newman closes.  Burfict had dropped into his zone, and Miller clearly exploited the edge of it, but to even say Burfict was 20% responsible is a gross overstatement.  

1-2.

DEN

And then this one wasn't even close.  Just because Burfict happens to be the guy there at the end of the play - that is, the guy who runs like hell to cover for the guys who didn't do their job, doesn't mean he was the one in pass defense.  As coup plainly pointed out, we had 4 LB's in coverage, and the Burfict was the THIRD guy away from Dressen and his route.  Who was responsible?  Yep, you guessed it, that poor SOB who looks perpetually lost, Rey Maulauga.

1-3.

As for the fifth game, you couldn’t come up with that so I guess we’ll just have to take your word on that one.  But after you’ve already been so exposed, why should we?

Now everyone on this board can go and look at these plays and tell us who was at fault.  Other than the play where his blanket coverage was beat, you'll not get much support.

I hope you write scripts better than you re-write history. ;)

Maybe what we would do for a living would be relevant, but that comparison needn't even been made when we're talking about one of us simply seeing things that aren't there.  The fact of the matter is, for whatever reason, you have a bias and/or agenda (and that's the generous reading of the problem) that's leading you to make outrageous statements that simply aren't supported by the basic evidence. 

The fact of the matter is, you were in the camp that didn't see the Burfict phenomenon as all that much, and you've been trying to cover your ass ever since.  Let me remind you with your own words: 

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/65143-tears-for-binnscheers-for-burfict/?p=1145358

"May not mean anything as if it were a real game I'm sure it would have been Skuta, but while I think Burfict will make the team he still has a lot to do to get to that point. "

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/65143-tears-for-binnscheers-for-burfict/?p=1146840

"I thought it was a great signing from a football perspective, though at the time I did comment that they'd take an unfair PR hit from it (didn't end up being that bad).

It's worked out great so far. He's nowhere near ready to start, and I'd wait a good year (barring injury) before considering him as a starter. 1) because I like the starters we have and 2) Just to make sure he's fully in the system and has shed his undisciplined ways on the field. 

Its a good position for the team. I think he'll certainly make the top 7 linebackers and they don't have to rely on him early, while having him under contract for basically 4 years."

Wrong much?

I like you 1181, I just don't know why you keep sticking your neck out when the shit flies, because it keeps hitting you in the face. It's OK to be wrong.  What's not OK is to invent a bunch of bullshit in order to hide that fact and CYA.

Let me explain the difference to you. It's called upside/potential.  Guys like Maulauga and Cook have disqualified themselves from the upside/potential conversation.  They have hit their ceilings and still aren't satisfactory, despite more than enough opportunities. 

Guys like Burfict and Dalton are defended because they are rookies on the upswing, that are improving until further notice (nice effort, trying to throw me in the Dalton detractor camp; I'm a clear supporter).  That's the difference.  If you're willing to choose a limited, highly suspect vet over a youngin' with clear upside then I don't know what to tell you.  But Burfict in his first year walked onto this squad and outperformed Rey in every measure.  So while you malign a guy like Burfict and defend the mediocrity of a guy like Rey M, you can expect me to stand up to that shit every time.

Absolutely, and I'll challenge you to find an instance where I was using "kid gloves" to defend him.  I plainly stated that he may have been burned , but nowhere near the frequency or the the degree you attributed to him. I completely accept his limitations, and in actuality, because he had so few as a baptism-by-fire rookie, I'm greatly encouraged.

I went on to say that Burfict is a good pass defender, and then you responded by citing him for 5 of our 11 pass TDs this season.  And then something Glorious happened.  Third party, objective observers jumped in and pulled your pants down.  You spit out highly factual sounding stats like "5 out of 11" and then when pressed immediately had to top it off at 4.  Furthermore, when those 4 examples are actually analyzed, your interpretation is directly challenged.  

And let's be clear hear.  We have a long and varied history of you assigning blame to one player to defend another (typically your favored player, i.e. Rey and Cook). In fact, I accused you of this very thing before Coup jumped into the fray.  As it happens, I'm now finally back and my laptop, so rather than rely on you to provide the requested clips (you did not), and despite coup's rep-boosting contributions, we can throw the plays in question up here now for all to see and judge for themselves.  Shall we?

Jax:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012093009/2012/REG4/bengals@jaguars?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights&tab=recap

As has been stated, Burfict got beat here.  But as has also been stated, that was about as good as coverage as you can ask for. Well, we could have asked for a hair more, which is that he could have turned back to find the ball).  Still, even had he done so, the ball was perfectly placed.  Leon hall has numerous moments in his career when he's been torched by a perfect throw, and we'd both agree that he's pretty good in coverage.  The reality is (as the cliche goes), the perfect throw will beat perfect coverage every time, and has no defense.  

Further, if we look at this game in context, we'll see that it was very early on in Burfict's ascendency and learning curve.  The guy had just started playing and was all over the right guy - meaning, he made the right read and he put himself in his hip-pocket.  You can't ask for more than that from your LB covering a move TE, much less a rook who just started playing with the big boys (and forget about seeing that from Rey M).  But let's go ahead and give you this one.  Burfict gave up a defensive TD.

CLE:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012091606/2012/REG2/browns@bengals?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights&tab=recap

ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?!  Seriously man, you attributing this to Burfict simply exposes the fact that you don't know what your talking about, at the very least regarding LB play.  Burfict is CLEARLY blitzing around the LE, so much so that he continues to pursue Weeden after he steps up into the pocket.  You know who was responsible for the RB?  I'll give you a hint, his initials are RM.  In that scenario the MLB has the responsibility for the RB coming out of the backfield in EVERY CASE.  It's POSSIBLE (though unlikely) that he could have been responsible for a TE releasing, but you know what?  THERE WAS NONE!

That was Rey's guy 100%, and if you need any more evidence just watch what he does after the snap: he runs around like a chicken with his head cut-off, and turns his back to the LOS (a MAJOR no-no) without even having anyone to pursue or anyone entering his zone.  He was confused, lost, whatever, but it's practically criminal that you want to pass that on a promising young rookie.  So 1-1 now.

PIT:

http://www.nfl.com/gamecenter/2012102110/2012/REG7/steelers@bengals?icampaign=GC_schedule_rr#menu=highlights%7CcontentId%3A0ap2000000083179&tab=analyze&recap=fullstory

Another interpretation that makes me  :facepalm:

Miller was so much Terrence Newman's man that Newman was about 6 inches away from making the play.  Especially on the second angle you can clearly see that he's Newman's man all the way, and the moment Miller makes his cut Newman closes.  Burfict had dropped into his zone, and Miller clearly exploited the edge of it, but to even say Burfict was 20% responsible is a gross overstatement.  

1-2.

DEN

And then this one wasn't even close.  Just because Burfict happens to be the guy there at the end of the play - that is, the guy who runs like hell to cover for the guys who didn't do their job, doesn't mean he was the one in pass defense.  As coup plainly pointed out, we had 4 LB's in coverage, and the Burfict was the THIRD guy away from Dressen and his route.  Who was responsible?  Yep, you guessed it, that poor SOB who looks perpetually lost, Rey Maulauga.

1-3.

As for the fifth game, you couldn’t come up with that so I guess we’ll just have to take your word on that one.  But after you’ve already been so exposed, why should we?

Now everyone on this board can go and look at these plays and tell us who was at fault.  Other than the play where his blanket coverage was beat, you'll not get much support.

Maybe what we would do for a living would be relevant, but that comparison needn't even been made when we're talking about one of us simply seeing things that aren't there.  The fact of the matter is, for whatever reason, you have a bias and/or agenda (and that's the generous reading of the problem) that's leading you to make outrageous statements that simply aren't supported by the basic evidence. 

The fact of the matter is, you were in the camp that didn't see the Burfict phenomenon as all that much, and you've been trying to cover your ass ever since.  Let me remind you with your own words: 

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/65143-tears-for-binnscheers-for-burfict/?p=1145358

"May not mean anything as if it were a real game I'm sure it would have been Skuta, but while I think Burfict will make the team he still has a lot to do to get to that point. "

http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?/topic/65143-tears-for-binnscheers-for-burfict/?p=1146840

"I thought it was a great signing from a football perspective, though at the time I did comment that they'd take an unfair PR hit from it (didn't end up being that bad).

It's worked out great so far. He's nowhere near ready to start, and I'd wait a good year (barring injury) before considering him as a starter. 1) because I like the starters we have and 2) Just to make sure he's fully in the system and has shed his undisciplined ways on the field. 

Its a good position for the team. I think he'll certainly make the top 7 linebackers and they don't have to rely on him early, while having him under contract for basically 4 years."

Wrong much?

I like you 1181, I just don't know why you keep sticking your neck out when the shit flies, because it keeps hitting you in the face. It's OK to be wrong.  What's not OK is to invent a bunch of bullshit in order to hide that fact and CYA.

I'll be honest, I'm not reading this long list of bullshit at 11pm.  Didn't really need to read further than the 2nd sentence.  This isn't about Burfict's future potential.  It's about his pass pro in 2012.  

Archived