Tears For Binns…Cheers For Burfict

[b] [url="http://blogs.bengals.com/2012/08/11/tears-for-binns-cheers-for-burfict/"]Tears For Binns…Cheers For Burfict[/url][/b]

[size=4]Posted by Dan Hoard on August 11, 2012 – 11:25 am

[color=#393939]One of the most interesting sights in Friday’s preseason opener against the Jets occurred during the National Anthem.[/color]
[color=#393939]As a TV camera panned the Cincinnati sideline, it zoomed in on Armon Binns who appeared to have tears in his eyes and he approached his first game in a Bengals uniform.[/color]

[color=#393939]“It was such a big moment,” Binns told me after the game. “I’ve been through so much the last couple of years and to be here with this opportunity – nobody would have thought that I would have been here. It felt great man. I’m so blessed to be out here with this team and to compete for a spot on the roster.”[/color]

[color=#393939][url="http://nflbengals.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/binns-vs-jets.jpeg"][img]http://nflbengals.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/binns-vs-jets.jpeg[/img][/url][/color]

[color=#393939]The former University of Cincinnati star had not appeared in a game since last preseason when he went to camp with Jacksonville as an undrafted free agent. Armon had two catches for 24 yards in his Bengals debut, and also had a 19-yard grab wiped out by a holding penalty.[/color]

[color=#393939]“It took me a couple of series for the game to slow down,” said Binns. “It was great to be out there and I had so much fun. It was cool.”[/color]

[color=#393939]“I thought Binny came in and did what we expected him to do,” said Marvin Lewis. “He did a nice job on third down catches and routes. You know, when they run certain coverages, you have to have other people that can beat the coverages. I thought he and (tight end Jermaine) Gresham did a nice job on that drive to keep the drive alive and keep it going.”[/color]

[color=#393939]Binns and Brandon Tate are the leading candidates to start opposite of A.J. Green at wide receiver. Tate also finished with 2 receptions for 24 yards against the Jets, and rookie Marvin Jones led the team with 48 receiving yards on two catches.[/color]
[color=#393939]“We’re really deep at this position,” said Binns. “Tate is a great player and brings a whole different dynamic to the position. The more guys that we have – the better our team is going to be.[/color]

[color=#393939]“We’re only going to get better. It’s so early. It was the first preseason game and we were really vanilla with our play-calling. The more we’re out there working together and the closer we get to the opening game, I think we’re going to hit the ground running.”[/color]
[color=#393939]After spending last season on the Bengals practice squad, Binns appears to be a lock to make the active roster this season.[/color]
[color=#393939]Does he feel like he’s clinched one of the wide receiver spots?[/color]

[color=#393939]“I don’t ever want to feel like that,” Armon told me. “I just want to keep chipping away. When the regular season hits and I’m here, that’s when I’ll feel like I’ve made the team.”[/color]

[color=#393939]Don’t be surprised to see a tear rolling down his cheek during the Star-Spangled Banner on September 10[sup]th[/sup] in Baltimore.[/color]

[color=#393939]*******[/color]
[color=#393939]If any football fans outside of Cincinnati were wondering whatever happened to former Arizona State linebacker Vontaze Burfict, they ought to know now.[/color]

[color=#393939]After all, there probably isn’t a better way for a defensive player to be seen repeatedly on ESPN than to intercept a pass thrown by Tim Tebow.[/color]

[color=#393939]“Man, it’s amazing,” said Burfict. “I have the ball right there in my locker and I’ll probably treasure that for the rest of my life. (Tebow) is on Sportscenter every time that you turn it on, so this is wonderful.”[/color]

[color=#393939][url="http://nflbengals.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/burfict-int.jpg"][img]http://nflbengals.files.wordpress.com/2012/08/burfict-int.jpg[/img][/url][/color]

[color=#393939]Burfict also intercepted an Andy Dalton pass in the Bengals mock game last weekend, and the undrafted free agent has had a very solid training camp.[/color]

[color=#393939]“Coach Zimmer always says bust your tail to the ball and good things happen,” said Burfict. “He’s always on us in the film room to read your keys and go where you’re supposed to go. Just handle your job and everything else will work out. That’s what I did – I handled my job and got an interception off of Tim Tebow.”[/color]

[color=#393939]My radio partner Dave Lapham noted on Friday’s broadcast that Vontaze has an instinctive “nose for the ball” that all great defensive players have, but Burfict does not agree.[/color]

[color=#393939]“I wouldn’t say that,” Vontaze told me. “Coaching is key to me. Listen to what the coaches tell me to do. A lot of people say that I was uncoachable and I’m trying to prove them wrong. I’m listening to what the coaches tell me to do and I bust my behind to get to the ball and try to make plays for my defense.”[/color]

[color=#393939]That certainly doesn’t sound like the guy whose disastrous performance at the NFL combine and history of personal fouls at Arizona State caused his stock to plummet among NFL scouts. The Bengals elected to give Burfict a second chance, and so far, he’s quieting his skeptics.[/color]

[color=#393939]“The past is the past and I don’t even look back anymore,” said Burfict. “I just want to get better as a football player. There are always going to be haters so it doesn’t really bother me. People talk and most of the time it isn’t true, so I’m just trying to go day-by-day and be a better player and teammate.”[/color]

[color=#393939]Vontaze cherishes one of his critics: Defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer.[/color]

[color=#393939]“I’m very comfortable here,” said Burfict. “Sometimes I mess up in practice and I’m kind of scared to go into Coach Zimmer’s meeting because I know that he’s going to get on me, but he’s just trying to make me better.[/color]

[color=#393939]“That makes me want to play harder – knowing that I have to do my assignment because I have him on my tail and if I don’t do it, he’s going to yell at me. That makes me a better player.”[/color]

[color=#393939]Burfict is off to a good start in Cincinnati. He has a football in his locker and a Sportscenter highlight to prove it.[/color]

[color=#393939]I’d love to hear from you at [email="Dan.Hoard@Bengals.nfl.net"]Dan.Hoard@Bengals.nfl.net[/email][/color]
[color=#393939]If you Twitter, you can follow my tweets at [url="http://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard"]http://twitter.com/Dan_Hoard[/url][/color]
[color=#393939]And I’m on Facebook at [url="http://www.facebook.com/dan.hoard.1"]www.facebook.com/dan.hoard.1[/url][/color]

[color=#393939][url="http://blogs.bengals.com/2012/08/11/tears-for-binns-cheers-for-burfict/"]http://blogs.bengals...rs-for-burfict/[/url][/color][/size]

I was leary of us possibly spending a draft pick on Vontaze and not really wild about even bringing him in as a UDFA, but he's won me over. I think we may really have somethng there. Between he, Rey and the always under-rated Skuta, we've got a lot of depth in the middle.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1344708897' post='1145313']
I was leary of us possibly spending a draft pick on Vontaze and not really wild about even bringing him in as a UDFA, but he's won me over. I think we may really have somethng there. Between he, Rey and the always under-rated Skuta, we've got a lot of depth in the middle.
[/quote]
Yeah, and frankly, all three of them would probably make good SLB backup candidates as well...

I, too was not a fan of Burfict coming here, even though it was a low-risk deal. He's looked very solid so far.

That said, I don't think he's a lock for the 53. In addition to the 3 starters and Skuta, they have Moch, Muck, Rey... Burfict and Lamur (who didn't impress last night). But Vinny Rey is a very solid ST player, and I thought Moch and Muck both played well on D (Muck was in with the ones when Rey got hurt). Burfict did make a tackle on STs, which helps him, but there's still a lot of time to go before cutdown day.

The other factor about LB depth is how many they keep at DL and DB. I could see Burfict making it to start the season (since Moch won't count vs. the 53), but assuming he comes back, Burfict may be relegated to the practice squad... or get picked up and go on someone else's 53. Bottom line, it was nice to see some solid play from the depth guys - not only at LB, but at a number of other positions last night.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1344711895' post='1145328']
I, too was not a fan of Burfict coming here, even though it was a low-risk deal. He's looked very solid so far.

That said, I don't think he's a lock for the 53. In addition to the 3 starters and Skuta, they have Moch, Muck, Rey... Burfict and Lamur (who didn't impress last night). But Vinny Rey is a very solid ST player, and I thought Moch and Muck both played well on D (Muck was in with the ones when Rey got hurt). Burfict did make a tackle on STs, which helps him, but there's still a lot of time to go before cutdown day.

The other factor about LB depth is how many they keep at DL and DB. I could see Burfict making it to start the season (since Moch won't count vs. the 53), but assuming he comes back, Burfict may be relegated to the practice squad... or get picked up and go on someone else's 53. Bottom line, it was nice to see some solid play from the depth guys - not only at LB, but at a number of other positions last night.
[/quote]

My only counter evidence is that they had him in there pretty early for someone they didn't want to keep.

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1344712163' post='1145331']
Moch is gay, if it comes down to Burfict or Moch, Burfict 100%
[/quote]

They play different positions so it probably won't. And did you see Moch play last night?

I think Moch has the potential to be a Von Miller type of player. I'm not saying he'll have those kind of sacks or that impact, but positionally, we've been looking for that 4-3 Joker type for a long time and I think he's the best fit that we have on this team (Manny Lawson being the second possibility).

[quote name='Jason' timestamp='1344713434' post='1145334']
They play different positions so it probably won't. And did you see Moch play last night?
[/quote]

no drectv guy is on his way right now, hopefully there is a replay, plus he's suspended anyway, fuck him

[quote name='sois' timestamp='1344714151' post='1145338']

no drectv guy is on his way right now, hopefully there is a replay, plus he's suspended anyway, fuck him
[/quote]

Well then I guess it's a good thing the football season is more than 4 games long.

[quote name='Jeb' timestamp='1344709615' post='1145318']
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: ...Purfict!

The type of linebacker I want on my team.

He should sign the ball: "Thanks for the memories Tebow, ...Vontaze Burfict"

or,

"One down, ...Vontaze Burfict"
[/quote]

it'd be funnier if he asked Tebow to autograph it.

[quote name='Oldcat' timestamp='1344712577' post='1145332']
My only counter evidence is that they had him in there pretty early for someone they didn't want to keep.
[/quote]

RIght, but that was after the starters, plus Skuta, Muck... and I believe the same time as Moch and Rey (or Lamur). Other thing to consider - he's on the depth chart at #3 at MLB, behind Muck and Rey. I thought I saw Burfict lined up outside, though, in the 2nd half. Position versatility would definitely bolster his chances at the 53.

[quote name='snarkster' timestamp='1344708897' post='1145313']
[/quote]

Yeah, I was one of the biggest critics of the move to bring him in. I was wrong. he's looking like a steal. Too bad the middle is clogged up with 2 pretty decent players in Muck and Rey.

[quote name='texbengal' timestamp='1344715606' post='1145348']
RIght, but that was after the starters, plus Skuta, Muck... and I believe the same time as Moch and Rey (or Lamur). Other thing to consider - he's on the depth chart at #3 at MLB, behind Muck and Rey. I thought I saw Burfict lined up outside, though, in the 2nd half. Position versatility would definitely bolster his chances at the 53.
[/quote]

while I have a much different view of Burfict than you, it IS worth noting that when Maualuga got hurt it was Muckelroy that replaced him.

May not mean anything as if it were a real game I'm sure it would have been Skuta, but while I think Burfict will make the team he still has a lot to do to get to that point.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1344731566' post='1145404']
I want to apologize to the UC guys who I trash talked about Binns. I fucking love this kid and his game. Just an awesome find.
[/quote]

Props to you for admitting you were wrong.

[quote name='B.A.B.' timestamp='1344731566' post='1145404']
I want to apologize to the UC guys who I trash talked about Binns. I fucking love this kid and his game. Just an awesome find.
[/quote]

No sweat man.

I like it better when we have to prove ourselves, ...it means more that way.

I'll just say one thing about Binns, ...he pulled our nuts out of the fire in so many games your going to love this kid.

You can trust the guy to be where you need him to be when you need him there.

Archived