Common Core

BengalBacker

the oboma administration sent a german homeschool family back...the thing was they came here to educate there children they were on no welfare, food stamps, etc..I don't see a problem with that if they make it on there own..the fact was that Holder is against homeschooling..google that

the oboma administration sent a german homeschool family back...the thing was they came here to educate there children they were on no welfare, food stamps, etc..I don't see a problem with that if they make it on there own..the fact was that Holder is against homeschooling..google that

Again its an immigration issue, not a homeschooling issue, Eric Holders opinion on homeschooling not withstanding.

Actually, you are free to homeschool your kids and give them a strong foundation in nothing - leaving them well prepared for a later life of screaming at people about the Bible when not welcoming them to Wal-Mart.

That's such a warped view, and unfortunate if you truly feel that way.  

Haven't met many homeschooled kids, have ya?

Plenty.  One homeschooled kid I know just graduated from Boston U and is going on to medical school.  He's very well acclimated socially, is funny, smart.....it's HOW you homeschool the kid that will have an effect on them.  He's but one example....I know plenty.  There are groups of parents who home school together, essentially forming a classroom.  These kids are some of the smartest and brightest because they're not learning how to take tests....they're actually learning and crave knowledge.  They're focused....attention is paid to them.   I assure you none of them will ever work at Wal Mart.....

Now I realize not all home schooled kids are this way but again, its HOW they are being schooled that matters.  There's a sensible approach to alternative methods.  Would you feel comfortable sending your child to a public school these days?  I sure as hell wouldn't....especially with this Core Curriculum bullshit.  

Plenty.  One homeschooled kid I know just graduated from Boston U and is going on to medical school.  He's very well acclimated socially, is funny, smart.....it's HOW you homeschool the kid that will have an effect on them.  He's but one example....I know plenty.  There are groups of parents who home school together, essentially forming a classroom.  These kids are some of the smartest and brightest because they're not learning how to take tests....they're actually learning and crave knowledge.  They're focused....attention is paid to them.   I assure you none of them will ever work at Wal Mart.....

Now I realize not all home schooled kids are this way but again, its HOW they are being schooled that matters.  There's a sensible approach to alternative methods.  Would you feel comfortable sending your child to a public school these days?  I sure as hell wouldn't....especially with this Core Curriculum bullshit.  

that was a great post!

Thank you :)

That's kinda like Paris Hilton calling you classy, I wouldn't get too excited.

All the homeschool kids I've met have been socially crippled and for the most part lead to believe the Earth is 7,000 years old etc etc, if they were in fact taught much of anything other than STFU and eat your chicken nuggets while Mama watches her stories. I can understand there may be exceptions but afaik parents are allowed to fill their heads with whatever hateful, bigoted, or plain-old ignorant garbage they think is best. And no, that's not their "right" unless they agree to stay on whatever commune or compound they were raised on until proving they are fit to enter society as adults.

Basically saying I still trust public schools over a curriculum developed by whatever the average homeschooler wingnut may dream up while listening to Alex Jones.

You do know that, at least in VA and I imagine around the rest of the country, there are regulations on the things homeschoolers have to learn right?

I'm sure there are; it's the enforcement of those regulations that's the question

I'm sure there are; it's the enforcement of those regulations that's the question

They have to take the same standardized tests as everyone else I believe.

Now the whole standarized tests issue is a whole other debate though...

All the homeschool kids I've met have been socially crippled and for the most part lead to believe the Earth is 7,000 years old etc etc, if they were in fact taught much of anything other than STFU and eat your chicken nuggets while Mama watches her stories. I can understand there may be exceptions but afaik parents are allowed to fill their heads with whatever hateful, bigoted, or plain-old ignorant garbage they think is best. And no, that's not their "right" unless they agree to stay on whatever commune or compound they were raised on until proving they are fit to enter society as adults.

Basically saying I still trust public schools over a curriculum developed by whatever the average homeschooler wingnut may dream up while listening to Alex Jones.

Dayton city schools are failing a lot of parents homeschool..so many social activities for them..you just make no sense.

It's obvious you're ignorant when it comes to this issue so I won't go into it further with you.  You have preconceived notions...a lot of them. 

And do you think that these people are teaching their kids these hateful, bigoted things when they come home from learning hateful, bigoted things at school?   You're saying these parents cease to influence the child since they're not home schooling them?  That's logic I don't get.  They're going to be influenced first and foremost by their parents, regardless of if the parents also home school them or not. 

Not sure what image you have of what goes on in home schools.  It's far from the reality though. 

I've known homeschooled kids in the past and dude's experiences with them is closer to what I've seen than what you're describing. I think most parents that choose to homeschool do so because they know they can provide a better learning environment than a public school and not because they want to brainwash or neglect their kids.

It's obvious you're ignorant when it comes to this issue so I won't go into it further with you.

Followed by paragraph explaining your stance on this issue further...  You weren't by any chance homeschooled, were you?

:ninja:

And do you think that these people are teaching their kids these hateful, bigoted things when they come home from learning hateful, bigoted things at school?   You're saying these parents cease to influence the child since they're not home schooling them?  That's logic I don't get.  They're going to be influenced first and foremost by their parents, regardless of if the parents also home school them or not. 

Not sure what image you have of what goes on in home schools.  It's far from the reality though. 

Yeah, but in a public (or even private, though to a much lesser extent) school they will interact with people that are not like them, let alone their siblings or other neighboring Branch Davidians or FLDS (well, still siblings I guess).

If you don't think home schooling has served as a cover to hide royally screwed-up kids from anyone who might intervene you're kidding yourself.  I can tell you from having family and friends that are school teachers that they are often the only source of sanity, stability, or plain old give-a-damn in many kid's lives.  Schools provide a lot more than education - in fact if you want to say that they are lacking in that, I'd agree and those standardized tests and forced curriculums are a big part of that problem.

I can accept that your experience with homeschooling has been different than mine, but it's no less ignorant of you to assume that it's like that for everyone.  That's great that you know a homeschool kid that went to Boston College - I know someone that was in and out of foster homes growing up that is successful, too - that doesn't mean there isn't a darker side to it that is much more common.  And no, I don't think people as batshit as "Justice" should be encouraged (or even allowed, when you get down to it) to pass their delusional view of the world on to another generation.

Followed by paragraph explaining your stance on this issue further...  You weren't by any chance homeschooled, were you?

:ninja:

Yeah, but in a public (or even private, though to a much lesser extent) school they will interact with people that are not like them, let alone their siblings or other neighboring Branch Davidians or FLDS (well, still siblings I guess).

If you don't think home schooling has served as a cover to hide royally screwed-up kids from anyone who might intervene you're kidding yourself.  I can tell you from having family and friends that are school teachers that they are often the only source of sanity, stability, or plain old give-a-damn in many kid's lives.  Schools provide a lot more than education - in fact if you want to say that they are lacking in that, I'd agree and those standardized tests and forced curriculums are a big part of that problem.

I can accept that your experience with homeschooling has been different than mine, but it's no less ignorant of you to assume that it's like that for everyone.  That's great that you know a homeschool kid that went to Boston College - I know someone that was in and out of foster homes growing up that is successful, too - that doesn't mean there isn't a darker side to it that is much more common.  And no, I don't think people as batshit as "Justice" should be encouraged (or even allowed, when you get down to it) to pass their delusional view of the world on to another generation.

Hahaha....yeah, I realized after typing the post that I was essentially continuing on, like I said I wouldn't but I don't mind exchanges with you...you seem like a cool dude. 

The Boston U kid is but one example.  I realize there's other ends to the spectrum as well but I have a problem with the government telling me that my kid(s) can only learned approved material.  Approved by the government.  That shit doesn't sit right with me. 

Unfortunately some people will choose to teach their kids whatever they want.....as hateful and bigoted as it may be but that's what we live with.  Are we going to start legislating what clothes are acceptable, hair styles etc.... just because these things may also seem offensive to some and some may even promote hate, bigotry.  I just don't think it's a good idea to start legislating all these things.  We're only allowed to read certain books, eat certain foods......I dont' like the way this is headed one bit.  

Hahaha....yeah, I realized after typing the post that I was essentially continuing on, like I said I wouldn't but I don't mind exchanges with you...you seem like a cool dude. 

The Boston U kid is but one example.  I realize there's other ends to the spectrum as well but I have a problem with the government telling me that my kid(s) can only learned approved material.  Approved by the government.  That shit doesn't sit right with me. 

Nor I, and that goes for the rest of what you said as far as legislation.  It sucks that it's necessary but unfortunately I think it often is, simply because we don't all exist in our own bubbles. If the family down the street decides to raise their kids to be miscreants that affects everyone. Ideally there would be someone else to step in - family, friends, neighbors, Krampus  - but the fact is that all too often it comes down to some government drone with a clipboard (way scarier than Krampus). Point being I don't like it much, either, but left to our own devices we seem to collectively go to shit so we created laws and government. Judging by what I see out of people on a daily basis the idea of a generation educated at home is not very encouraging.  Public schools may not be much better overall but at least they are fairly transparent.  I don't have kids so I admit a lot of this is me blowing smoke but it seems to me we've more or less ignored public education until it's failing and we'd be better off fixing it instead of burning it down & hoping everyone can do a better job of it on their own.

I feel you, but if the government was truly concerned about creating the best people....wouldn't they legislate music?  Music videos?  What do kids learn these days?  They learn to go out and fuck as many people as possible, get drunk, do drugs, drive fast cars, live extravagantly/irresponsibly.  Why isn't the message coming across on tv legislated against?  It's obviously a huge detriment to society. 

People are getting pregnant all the time without having a means to support the child...do you have to make a certain amount of $ before you can have kids?  I think anytime you start giving the government such powers, it's the beginning of the end.  It's a slippery slope I'm not willing to go down. 

And that's one of the main reasons why people choose to home school....the state of public education.  I'm with you....fix public education...but still allow those with children they want to home school, to home school them.  It's noone's right to tell me what I can and can't teach my child.  They're going to learn values, behavior, ethic from me from watching me regardless of what I'm teaching them.  Kids learn from watching at a very early age.  Just because someone else is schooling my child doesn't mean that my child is going to reflect that person.  They will absolutely reflect the parent figure in the house through observation....conscious and subconscious. 

And no, I was not home schooled.  I was very lucky and got to attend a very nice school in Chicago and then Walnut Hills High School in Cincy when I moved here so I was extremely fortunate the schools I attended were damn good schools.  Otherwise, if I went to a normal public school...I'm not quite sure how I would have turned out or if my intellectual thirst would have been quenched. 

I'm against government telling me what's right and wrong, what I can and can't do.  They're in NO position to do so. 

Archived