Bengals' run game 'stuck in neutral'

The Bengals are sixth in the league in run plays and quality rushes, but most would agree that the run game has been stuck in neutral for most of the season. Going into Sunday’s game against Cleveland, they are 18th in the league, averaging 108.1 yards per game, and haven’t had a runner over 100 yards.

Even though they’ve had over 50 passing attempts in each of the past two games, the Bengals have had 28 or more carries, too.

“It’s not where we want it to be, no question about that,” running backs coach Hue Jackson said. “It’s not where I think we can be. I don’t see what I’m accustomed to seeing.”

In Jackson’s two years with the Raiders, their running game was ranked second and seventh.

There are some areas where the run game has shown improvement over last season. According to STATS LLC, the Bengals are 12th in quality rush percentage at 47.22 percent after being at 45.6 percent last season.

The stuff percentage – carries that are no gains or negative yards – is down, to 15.43 percent.

A deficiency, though, remains explosive runs. So far there have been only seven gains of 15 yards or more, which is 24th in the league. Two came last Sunday against Baltimore.

Going into Sunday’s game, the Bengals have averaged 33 carries and 141.5 rushing yards the past two weeks. That is their best stretch since Weeks 5 and 6, when they averaged 40 carries and 163.5 yards in wins over New England and Buffalo.

Through 10 games, the Bengals have yet to have a 100-yard rusher in a game. The last time they went this late in a season with that happening was 1996, when they didn’t have one the entire year.

Last season, it was during the last two months that BenJarvus Green-Ellis started to surge, with four 100-yard games in a five-week span. With plenty of teams stacking eight men in the box, Green-Ellis said there has to be a better job of attacking the play.

“Whatever is called, attack that. We have to be on the same page and everyone has to see things through the same set of eyes,” he said. “If we can do that, it doesn’t matter if they put eight, nine (in the box) if we’re clicking on all cylinders. It’s that time right now that we all have to be doing the right thing at the right time.”

Last year, Green-Ellis was the workhorse back due to injuries, but pairing him with Giovani Bernard has kept him fresher. The number of touches for each is fairly even, with Green-Ellis having 142 (140 carries, two receptions) and Bernard 133 (95 carries, 38 receptions).

With the weather getting colder and four of the final six regular-season games at home, Jackson is confident the running game will improve for the stretch run.

“I truly believe as you go through the rest of the season that’s what’s going to have a chance to carry you,” he said. “We can keep continuing to build that part of the offense so when that time comes we can dictate what we want to do rather than people dictating to us. We have two fine runners, and at the end of the day we’re going to have to ride them both.”

One way to impose your will as a running game is by having the lead, which hasn’t happened much the past two games. Of the Bengals’ 31 offensive possessions in those games, they’ve led during one and trailed during 20.

Getting the run game going could be a tough task this week. Cleveland comes into the game with the league’s fourth-ranked run defense and has allowed only 3.9 yards per carry.

Under Marvin Lewis, the Bengals have had success on the ground against the Browns. Of the 21 Battle of Ohio games with Lewis as coach, the Bengals have had a 100-yard rusher in 11 of them, but none in the past three.

Said Green-Ellis of the Browns defense: “They’re a very gap-sound defense. So if the linebackers scrape over the top, then the defensive linemen will stay home, and vice versa. They come downhill and get off those double-team blocks, and the point of attack is always right at about the line of scrimmage or two yards behind it. They create places where we have to create movement in there. So we’re going to have to do a good job of being very physical and attacking.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20131113/SPT02/311130164/Reedy-Bengals-run-game-stuck-in-neutral-

In THEORY we have the ideal passing offense for this kind of weather. 2 TE's and Gio and Hawkins.

Shit. if it's as bad as they're saying Gio & Hawk are going to need snorkels.

Because they are short, you see.

To be fair, against Miami we tried to run up the gut and couldn't and against Baltimore we were down by 17 and had to try to gain chunks at a time.  I think its uber important that we get it going this week.  Going to be tough with Cleveland having a very tough interior line.

I do think a big part of the problem is the lack of push by the interior linemen and the fact that we call so many run plays between the tackles that absolutely require the line to execute and create a hole for the RB to hit. We just aren't doing that and I'm not certain if it's scheme in the run blocking, a lack of pure physicality/talent/injury by Boling, Cook and Zeitler or what it is, but until those three improve, it isn't going to get better against stout 8 and 9 man defensive fronts.

I do think a big part of the problem is the lack of push by the interior linemen and the fact that we call so many run plays between the tackles that absolutely require the line to execute and create a hole for the RB to hit. We just aren't doing that and I'm not certain if it's scheme in the run blocking, a lack of pure physicality/talent/injury by Boling, Cook and Zeitler or what it is, but until those three improve, it isn't going to get better against stout 8 and 9 man defensive fronts.

I would like see the Bengals use more of the inside zone blocking scheme or draft a Brandon Jacobs type of running back. 

Archived