Jay Gruden, Bengals Game Plan Deserve Blame for Cincinnati's Early Playoff Exit

McCown has made references to retiring. I want a guy that will be here for more than a year.

However, I do think he'd be a great fit.

Seriously?  I know he's been in the league awhile but didn't think it long enough to ponder retirement....especially after leading all NFL QBs in QBR during his 4 or so games he played. 

I agree, he would be a perfect fit. 

The beef I have with Jay is:

Not using the middle of the field.  Maybe its because we don't have a very reliable guy to stick in the slot.  Maybe he is afraid of tipped balls.  But for whatever reason, our passing offense is primarily outside the hashes and defensive backs have more time to react when balls are thrown outside the hashes and that is when bad ish happens.

I agree with your beef.  But as for the reliable slot guy?  We have Sanu, Hawkins, Dane and Whalen - all of which I'd consider pretty reliable if given the chance.  also have two pretty good TE's.

I wholeheartedly hope he miraculously gets a HC gig so we get one year to see what Dalton can do with new blood at OC.  I'm bothered by the following:

1. How the hell can you have our own players saying we should have run more?  It's not like we were down 14 or 21 at any point until the end.  And it's not like we were really in the hurry up until the very end either.  BJGE and GIO were doing well to start.  Once we went one dimensional they teed off on the pass rush and just crushed the O-Line.  If you know what you have in Dalton you should know to limit those instances.  The arena league BS is catching up to him.  You can't throw it 70% of the time in the NFL consistently.  It's all too obvious that he goes away from the run and he's even admitted it multiple times.
  2. How do we not have anything new drawn up for the playoffs??  The Chargers said they saw nothing new.  I know a lot of times after a game we'd say "I hope Gruden is keeping these plays in his back pocket for the playoffs."  Well... unless his pocket fell off, or more likely he has no back pocket, he didn't come up with any new wrinkles for our game plan.  WTF is that all about?  I think Jay gets antsy and then calls a crap game which Dalton feeds off of.  Get Andy a couple easy completions instead of going deep every damn play.  Same thing with 3rd or 4th and short.  Just because it's single coverage doesn't mean it's a high-percentage play.  Call some comeback or slants for once.

Rant over.

I've been too depressed to weigh in on anything but here's a good a place as any.

The realities of the NFL draft and free agency are that you'd be pretty hard pressed to replace a guy who just set the club TD and yardage record with the 21-22nd pick in the draft and maintain regular season success.  Hell even with a top 5 pick you have no guarantee of improvement (Gabbert, Russel?) or sustained success.  So even if you land fully in the "Dalton is Romo but worse" camp you would have to essentially admit a complete rebuild with no quick fix available for the QB spot.

I'd rather they bring a new coaching staff.  Mostly everyone is on board that this team is loaded with talent and has a nice window for success (MJ and Collins the only starting FAs?) in 2014.  Ala Tony Dungy and the 2001 Bucs vs Gruden and the 2002 Bucs, some men can build a great team, but it may take someone else to lead them.  I don't see how a rookie QB or Josh Freeman or McCown come in here and make such a difference that we suddenly may win important games here.  But no matter how you feel about Andy a new coach may be able to coach this team over the hump.

Agree 100% with this.

When you QB causes 3 turnovers when you were winning the game, yes it is on your QB.

Seriously Jamie how many times are you going to keep saying false statements before you shut your mouth?

We were down 14-10 before Andy's first turnover (which was the fumble). Then down 17-10 at the time of his first int and down 20-10 at the time of his second int.

Hard to take you seriously when you don't know your facts bud. First you said we were up 10, then you said we weren't up 10 but we were up 2 scores, then you said we were up when Andy started turning the ball over.

ALL FALSE.

Seriously Jamie how many times are you going to keep saying false statements before you shut your mouth?

We were down 14-10 before Andy's first turnover (which was the fumble). Then down 17-10 at the time of his first int and down 20-10 at the time of his second int.

Hard to take you seriously when you don't know your facts bud. First you said we were up 10, then you said we weren't up 10 but we were up 2 scores, then you said we were up when Andy started turning the ball over.

ALL FALSE.

Yup, totally negates the point that turnovers killed us.  Good job, you sure got him!!

Yup, totally negates the point that turnovers killed us.  Good job, you sure got him!!

I never said that asshole. Once again read most of my posts since the game instead of just being an asshole all the time.

The only thing I said is that we were losing the game even when dalton was playing well and before he shit the bed, which shows there were many reasons we were losing.

Now yes dalton put the nail in the coffin in terms of not being able to make a comeback, but we weren't winning the game before Dalton's turnovers like Jamie keeps insisting.

Geoff Hobson @GeoffHobsonCin 1h

Gruden says injuries on line and TE were factors

I'm sure they were.  I think there were other ones too though....

LOL. Good excuse, Gruden. The TEs magically were all fucked up and completely injured in the second half, I'm sure. First half they were fine, but they both fell down on their way to the locker room at half time, thus, no more runs

LOL. Good excuse, Gruden. The TEs magically were all fucked up and completely injured in the second half, I'm sure. First half they were fine, but they both fell down on their way to the locker room at half time, thus, no more runs

The oline shit the bed in the third quarter. Dalton did as well there is no denying that. But no denying the first part either.

I agree with your beef.  But as for the reliable slot guy?  We have Sanu, Hawkins, Dane and Whalen - all of which I'd consider pretty reliable if given the chance.  also have two pretty good TE's.

I should have worded it better.  A more reliable safety valve.

Maybe Hawkins could be it given he doesn't get hurt, but he has had injuries in both years as a pro.  Sanu just disappears too much.  He had 3 or less catches in 11 of the 17 games this year and only caught a little bit over 60% of the balls thrown his way.  Thats not good for a guy who doesn't go down the field very often.  Dane and Whalen are fringe players.  Whalen is probably on his way out next year and primarily played outside for us.  I see the potential in Dane, though.  

You're right about the tight ends.  They have their disappearance acts too.  Jermaine could have a couple of catches in the first quarter and then completely disappear until the fourth.  Could very well be Eifert next year if they let him work a little more in the slot.

If you look at teams in the playoffs, a lot of them have a guy they can count on to make big plays on third down.  I don't have much confidence in these guys yet to do something like that.  We haven't had it since TJ left.

Gresh sure looked all kinds of messed up man especially when he was scoring that TD.

Is the new coach going to be able to get Dalton not to throw off his back foot, a horrible INT?   What about trying to make the ball go through defenders' bodies like he tried with Ingram?   Or taking a sack when he could have easily thrown the ball out of bounds?   Or predetermining his throw, or not going through progressions at times and others zipping by each option.  Or telling the defense where he will throw 100% of the time based on his shoulder alignment?  Is the new coach going to be able to correct these things?  If so, then I'm all for it. 

But a name you mentioned is a very interesting one.  McCown.  He played very well this year in a similar offense, fundamentally.    Outplayed Cutler.  I think he would be an interesting guy to bring in for competition vs drafting a guy at 24 or so.  

Have I told you that you're a piece of shit lately?  Its amazing that they only thing that went wrong yesterday was Dalton.  52 other players kicked ass for 60 min and did everything 100% right, it was in spite of the QB they scored 10.  I really tried to keep you off ignore, once upon a time I've seen intelligent, coherent things come from you...that was well over 2 years ago, goodbye.

Here's a question....  If they were to ever fire Gruden (which I really don't see happening), seeing as Andy was his choice at QB, do you then chose to not re-sign Andy?

Probably depends on the new OC and what he wants to do. The organization takes a lot of coach input when it comes to personnel.

yikes.  Bengals 2nd half play calling:  7 rushes, 40 passes.

Benjarvus Green-Ellis was averaging 5.3ypc in the game.  His last rush came roughly around the 14 minute mark in the THIRD quarter.  One play after he had ripped off a 12 yard gain.  

Well, then it's obvious.  Dalton must be able to change the play at the line of scrimmage, because there is no way that Jay would have called it like that.  at least another 17 of those pass plays had to be called as run plays, and then Dalton changed them.  He's so fucking greedy, always looking for the spotlight!

Well, then it's obvious.  Dalton must be able to change the play at the line of scrimmage, because there is no way that Jay would have called it like that.  at least another 17 of those pass plays had to be called as run plays, and then Dalton changed them.  He's so fucking greedy, always looking for the spotlight!

I don't think this site needs any more fuel dumped on it right now.  :)

[quote name="Khatmandude" post="1324806" timestamp="1389036191"]

Seriously?  I know he's been in the league awhile but didn't think it long enough to ponder retirement....especially after leading all NFL QBs in QBR during his 4 or so games he played. 

I agree, he would be a perfect fit. [/]

He's like 35. Also QBR is ridiculously stupid.

yikes.  Bengals 2nd half play calling:  7 rushes, 40 passes.

Benjarvus Green-Ellis was averaging 5.3ypc in the game.  His last rush came roughly around the 14 minute mark in the THIRD quarter.  One play after he had ripped off a 12 yard gain.  

The Bengals' coaches set him up to fail. He's not PFM and shouldn't be asked to throw that much. I wish Marvin Lewis would actually be a fun first, ball control coach. We have the perfect defense for it.

How many of those 7 rushes were short gains on second and long because we screwed the pooch on first down? I'd guess at least 3.

Dalton aside, how can anyone think all 11 guys on offense and our OC played/called playoff caliber games in our 3 playoff appearances? The failure has been across the board on that side of the ball when the pressure is on.

How many watched the entire Colts game? What was different from half to half? The Chiefs went full prevent after the first pick in the second half. The Colts adjusted, they ran and completed at least 15 crossing routes against the soft zone. In the first half Chief defenders blanketed the wrs and every out, cross, slant was contested. In the second half Luck threw to wide open wrs running a Madden style offense aka running the same play over and over again. The Chiefs didn't change so they kept doing the same thing. Then when they creep up and need an explosive play over the top, TY Hilton is 10yards behind the nearest defender, not covered stride for stride down the field like AJ.

Where were our open wrs? We seem to only find ways to get players open if were already up by 20. Until then every completion is like pulling teeth and the wr has to out time out jump and out muscle the db. Why is it when we take a deep shot a top 3 wr in the game is blanketed by two dbs, the throw still manages to hit him in the hands and he can't bring it in.

I'm not sure Dalton deserves to be defended at this point, but those who can't see that our failures in these spots are shared by the entire offensive crew are blind in my opinion.

The Bengals' coaches set him up to fail. He's not PFM and shouldn't be asked to throw that much. I wish Marvin Lewis would actually be a fun first, ball control coach. We have the perfect defense for it.

Marvin usually is, that's the crazy thing.  

The coaches didn't do him any favors, but some of Dalton's failures are certainly his own.  

I just wonder if we're having a lot of these conversations if he had the same kind of running game that guys like Wilson, Newton, Foles and Kaepernick have behind them.  

Everyone talks about how well young QB's are playing, and that's certainly true, but look beyond the QB spot.  

YPC rankings for teams with young QB's this season:

Panthers: 16

Seahwaks: 12

Eagles: 1

Titans: 19

49ers: 11

Colts: 13

Vikings: 2

Washington: 3

Bengals:  27

A good running game is a QB's best friend.  Last 3 years, the Bengals running game has been 27th, 20th and 27th in ypc.  

Archived