Your Top 5 at 24?

Jason

Just curious why you have Verrett ahead of Gilbert and Dennard?

He's a better lock down corner than the other two imo and has surprising physicality and tackling ability for his size (reminds me Antoine Winfield, but he's actually an inch taller than Winfield), and has very long arms for his height also.  Verrett played in a scheme that required him to alternate between man/off/zone coverage on a regular basis, and he does them all very well.  Verrett's recovery/closing speed rivals Jonathan Joseph.  Verrett is a surprisingly good tackler for his size and pound for pound is probably the strongest corner (he was sometimes taking down guys with over 50 lbs on him).  He shows good technique in his tackling and can shed blockers better than his size would suggest.

Gilbert isn't far behind, and I do like his speed, and his ability (like Verrett) to recover when beaten.  He's capable in both man and zone coverage.  His off man coverage isn't as good as Dennard or Verrett.  Not as good a tackler as Dennard or Verrett.

I don't like Dennard as much as some, he has a tendency to grab with his hands too much even in deep coverage which would constitute plenty of penalties in pros.  Also, Dennard has problems with faster receivers sometimes.  He will not necessarily recover once beaten.  He has played mainly man/off coverage with little experience in zone coverage.  Good tackler.  Slowest of the 3 corners.

Saying all that, there is still very little between these 3 guys imo.

01. Darqueze Denard - if he's there he's my No. 1 no matter who else is there
2a. Taylor Lewan or Cyrus Kouandjio (only if AC walks)
2b. Justin Gilbert (if AC doesn't)
03. Trade down for extra premium picks
04. Marcus Robinson
05. Lamarcus Joyner (slot corner and KR/PR) - probably more of a target if I trade down

06. Aaron Donald - would be my first choice if I thought there was one sliver of a chance he is there @ 24 - I don't

1) CB - Dennard/Gilbert

2) OT - Kouandjio/Lewan (I think Martin projects as a G)

3) DE - Ealy

4) DT - Donald

I know I cheated with 6 players but really I see these guys as similar value and as positional fits more than anything. 

The problem I see is if the team wants a CB who can start immediately or at least play in the rotation on the outside immediately, the only two CBs I feel fit that need are Dennard or Gilbert.  I don't see anyone in round two or beyond that would be expected to jump in immediately (Verrett seems too small to me at 176 lbs).  Hopefully they nab one of those two but if they don't, filling in any of the next three positional groups would not be a disappointment.  I just hope we get a CB in round one as it frees up more options later on (in my opinion).

It's likely that my thought process is not the same as the team's - I'm interested to see how the new co-db coordinators view the CB situation.

When it all shakes out I wouldn't be surprised to only see one of those 6 available on draft day.

1) CB - Dennard/Gilbert

3) DE - Ealy

4) DT - Donald

I know I cheated with 6 players but really I see these guys as similar value and as positional fits more than anything. 

The problem I see is if the team wants a CB who can start immediately or at least play in the rotation on the outside immediately, the only two CBs I feel fit that need are Dennard or Gilbert.  I don't see anyone in round two or beyond that would be expected to jump in immediately (Verrett seems too small to me at 176 lbs).  Hopefully they nab one of those two but if they don't, filling in any of the next three positional groups would not be a disappointment.  I just hope we get a CB in round one as it frees up more options later on (in my opinion).

It's likely that my thought process is not the same as the team's - I'm interested to see how the new co-db coordinators view the CB situation.

When it all shakes out I wouldn't be surprised to only see one of those 6 available on draft day.

Nice.  Just tweaked it a little because I don't see Lewan or Dennard at 24.  If there I would say yes, absolutely.  From Collins stats in the games he has been in, Collins does extremely well.  However, with the assumption that Collins is gone, Kouandjio appears from his film and stats to be at the very least equal to and possibly exceeding what we have in Collins.  It is granted that the highlight reels of players is biased so I would almost need an unbiased opinion from someone that has watched him closer during the previous season to be more certain.  In reference to the order of precedence, I gave OT a higher priority because of the belief that everything starts up front.  Regardless of who is in the backfield, if we can't block, we can't score.

1) OT - Kouandjio
2) CB - Gilbert
3) DE - Ealy
4) DT - Donald
5) DT - Jernigan

• 2 weeks later...

1) CB - Dennard/Gilbert

3) DE - Ealy

4) DT - Donald

Post Combine:

CB - I don't think either Gilbert or Dennard will be around and don't think Fuller or Verrett is worth #24 so I doubt we'll go CB unless one of those two fall

OT - Lewan looks more like top 10 now and Kouandjio's arthritic knee likely drops him out of round 1 (if not round 2 and 3).  Zach Martin might still be an option, but I still feel he's more of a G but I like the position flexibility.  Depending on what happens with Collins, he might be in play.

DE - No one got much pub form the combine other than Clowney.  Ealy still could be an option if he falls.  I'm most intrigued with Kareem Martin, but not in Rd 1.

DT - Donald. Yes please.

So, My top 5 who I think might have a shot at being there at #24 probably looks like:

1- CJ Mosley -could he slide down with QB, OT and WR moving up?

2- Ealy - DE's don't usually fall but he could, especially if teams like Ford or Tuitt more

3- HaHa Clinton Dix/Calvin Pryor.  Could be time to start grooming a Nelson replacement and one of them might be available

4- Donald (not sure how he fits w/ Geno though.  Is he a Peko replacement?)

5- Z. Martin (OT/OG) Collins/Whit replacement.  Might draft him even if Collins comes back and Pollak doesn't.  We did just draft 3 lower round OL last year though....

I really don't like that CB is probably not going to be an option unless Dennard or Gilbert fall.  But with a number of teams ahead of us with CB needs, I don't see how they fall that far. 

Archived