Catching up with Mike Brown

That's football in a nutshell, isn't it? Really chaotic, one bounce of the ball in a different way can change the entire game. MB isn't exactly a poet, pretty sure that's what he's trying to say here.

A hell of a lot more went wrong with that playoff game than a bad bounce or two, is all I'm saying.

A hell of a lot more went wrong with that playoff game than a bad bounce or two, is all I'm saying.

Im still not convinced that if Gio doesnt fumble that ball we dont win that game. I know thats assuming a lot. But I really think that play changed the whole game. We still should have won even with the fumble, but I think if we score a td and go up 7 there with all the momentum at half time, we would have won that game.

I don't think it's the fault of one or two idiot owners, it's just what the market for starting QBs is driving to. 11 QBs are already making an average of more than $15m per year, with 4 of those over 20. Couple that with a recent huge run of very successful young QBs that have been locked into their salaries by the new CBA, but have been at least equally successful as the old guard - Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, RG3, Dalton, Newton, Tannehill - and you have a recipe for an explosion in QB salary. I recently read a report that Kaepernick wants 18-20m per year, which is absurd, but he might just get it.

You might be able to justify spending nearly 20 percent of cap on Manning or Brady, although that stretches the rest of the team thin.  Then you have the Brees/Rodgers group.  But when you are doing this for Flacco and Schaub it sure puts a strain because they just don't justify it week to week.  It just seems unsustainable.

The smart QB would be like Michael Jordan, who never took a large salary until the end of his career so they could pay other players and keep the rest of the team going.

I don't think it's the fault of one or two idiot owners, it's just what the market for starting QBs is driving to. 11 QBs are already making an average of more than $15m per year, with 4 of those over 20. Couple that with a recent huge run of very successful young QBs that have been locked into their salaries by the new CBA, but have been at least equally successful as the old guard - Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, RG3, Dalton, Newton, Tannehill - and you have a recipe for an explosion in QB salary. I recently read a report that Kaepernick wants 18-20m per year, which is absurd, but he might just get it.

I think we see Mike's comments differently. I read him as saying he would like to keep Dalton, but he isn't convinced it will happen because of the money. In my mind, the ridiculous contracts given to Flacco, Stafford, etc. doesn't mean the Bengals are obligated to give one to Dalton. Even though Mike wants to keep him, the team can and will move on after 2014 rather than make a bad deal that handcuffs them with the cap and their own free agents.

Hey guys, one of these days they will fumble and we won't. Now that's the kind of rallying cry that makes guys want to run through a wall for you!

F Yeh! Now let's get out there and hope the other guy screws up!

Yeah.. I don't get the feeling from that interview that winning a SuperBowl is MB's #1 priority, he seems like he could care less if they win or not as long they are profitable. 

"Listen, no one wants to win that playoff game more than Marvin does. Believe me, this last year we thought we were going to win this playoff game finally, everything had aligned and low and behold we found a way not to. Does that upset some people? I think it does, but they aren't just the people watching in the stands it's the people playing, the people coaching, the people in my situation, we all wanted to get that done. 

This quote doesn't inspire confidence in me that this guy really wants to win a Super Bowl more than anything else in the world, it seems like Marvin does but MB not so much. 

Also saying they let MJ and Collins walk in hopes of doing a deal with Dalton is bs, he's trying to spin the reason why they let two of their best young players leave via FA and replaced them with no one. 

I have no faith in MB to ever win anything in the NFL, he just seems like he doesn't know what it takes to build a winning organization. If you combine how he let two homegrown guys like Collins and MJ leave via FA and replaces them with no one, then tries to spin it by saying that they are going to use that money to extend Dalton who probably the last guy between AJ, Burfict, and Dalton that should be extended. Then he says that he will use the transition tag on AJ instead of saying that he wants to extend him, it just seems like he's running a second tier organization and doesn't know/care about doing things in a first class way.  

Im still not convinced that if Gio doesnt fumble that ball we dont win that game. I know thats assuming a lot. But I really think that play changed the whole game. We still should have won even with the fumble, but I think if we score a td and go up 7 there with all the momentum at half time, we would have won that game.

So you realize that even after the Gio fumble the Bengals were winning the game.how you can blame the loss on Gio but not Dalton is amazing to me.

Dalton had 3 turnovers in the second of a game they were winning at halftime, they didn't score in the second half because Dalton committed 3 turnovers but yet put the blame for the loss on Gio's 2nd quarter fumble...yeah that makes sense. 

Dalton should is at best an average NFL QB and he should be paid as such. If he wants a Joe Flacco/Tony Romo type of deal I would wish him the best and find a replacement. The success of the team during Dalton's tenure here as more to do with the overall team than the QB play, the Mike Zimmer lead defense is responsible for the overall success of the team.

I think we see Mike's comments differently. I read him as saying he would like to keep Dalton, but he isn't convinced it will happen because of the money. In my mind, the ridiculous contracts given to Flacco, Stafford, etc. doesn't mean the Bengals are obligated to give one to Dalton. Even though Mike wants to keep him, the team can and will move on after 2014 rather than make a bad deal that handcuffs them with the cap and their own free agents.

At some point, though, you have to pay the piper. If you need one of these top QBs to win a title, you'll be paying him this kind of money either for winning it (Flacco, soon to be Wilson) or because he can win it (Manning, soon to be Kaepernick). I don't see it as Dalton-specific as much as the way QB contracts are in general.

Yeah.. I don't get the feeling from that interview that winning a SuperBowl is MB's #1 priority, he seems like he could care less if they win or not as long they are profitable. 

This quote doesn't inspire confidence in me that this guy really wants to win a Super Bowl more than anything else in the world, it seems like Marvin does but MB not so much. 

Also saying they let MJ and Collins walk in hopes of doing a deal with Dalton is bs, he's trying to spin the reason why they let two of their best young players leave via FA and replaced them with no one. 

I have no faith in MB to ever win anything in the NFL, he just seems like he doesn't know what it takes to build a winning organization. If you combine how he let two homegrown guys like Collins and MJ leave via FA and replaces them with no one, then tries to spin it by saying that they are going to use that money to extend Dalton who probably the last guy between AJ, Burfict, and Dalton that should be extended. Then he says that he will use the transition tag on AJ instead of saying that he wants to extend him, it just seems like he's running a second tier organization and doesn't know/care about doing things in a first class way.  

:facepalm:

So you realize that even after the Gio fumble the Bengals were winning the game.how you can blame the loss on Gio but not Dalton is amazing to me.

Dalton had 3 turnovers in the second of a game they were winning at halftime, they didn't score in the second half because Dalton committed 3 turnovers but yet put the blame for the loss on Gio's 2nd quarter fumble...yeah that makes sense. 

Dalton should is at best an average NFL QB and he should be paid as such. If he wants a Joe Flacco/Tony Romo type of deal I would wish him the best and find a replacement. The success of the team during Dalton's tenure here as more to do with the overall team than the QB play, the Mike Zimmer lead defense is responsible for the overall success of the team.

I agree with him because you're not seeing the forest for the trees. Going up by 7 at that point in the game changes the entire rest of the game. The play calling is different, maybe Gruden doesn't abandon the run and now the opportunities for the picks/fumbles don't exist. Dalton is not trying to win the game with his arm and doesn't go for the risky plays.  

I made a post about "reading between the lines" about 6 weeks ago and predicted 3 things that are touched on in this article:

1. We aren't going to get a deal with Andy Dalton this offseason.

2. We are going to take a QB in round 3 or 4 to groom as Andy's possible replacement.

3. We are going to get an extension done with AJ or Vontaze this summer (I think it will be Vontaze).

I feel even stronger about those 3 predictions after reading Mike's comments... 

On Dalton: Mike has never been a guy to just do what everyone else does. Dalton's agent is understandably pointing to the deals of Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, Romo, etc. and likely demanding at least $15M a year for an extension. Maybe even $17 or $18M. Due to QB salary inflation at QB and the mega-contracts that these other non-elite QBs have received, that is a reasonable demand. But just because other teams are paying stupid money to non-elite QBs doesn't mean Mike is going to do the same if he thinks it is a mistake. I think he has made Dalton an offer he feels is fair ($10M a year? $12M a year?). If Dalton doesn't accept (which he probably shouldn't if he believes in himself), Mike won't budge and Andy will play out the final year of his deal. 

On potentially replacing Dalton: The Bengals absolutely must have a legit plan B in place if they do let Andy play out the final year of his deal in 2014. If not, you end up with a lot of bad options in 2015... 1. Overpay Dalton because he has you by the balls. 2. Overpay some shitty journeyman veteran (see Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, etc.) 3. Go into the 2015 draft with everyone knowing you absolutely must draft a starting QB early. Mike alluded to his plan here in referencing Russell Wilson (a 3rd round pick). I made another topic making the case that while I think Dalton is pretty good, I'm not sure that Dalton at $15M+ a year is actually better for the team than getting a rookie for 4 years at $1M a year and making sure the team around him is loaded. Mike seems to be pondering that very same idea...At the very least, the Bengals need to have their Plan B already in place next March for if Dalton wants to test FA and gets offered $20M by somebody.

On Vontaze: Again, I think Vontaze's extension is what Mike is alluding to and he implies that they are waiting on extensions for Vontaze, AJ and others to make absolutely sure they have enough cap space to get Dalton done. But he also says they aren't going to wait forever. I think they make their best offer (for now) to Andy. But if he doesn't accept, they need to start moving on and getting other guys signed, even if that potentially puts them in a position where they can't afford Dalton under every single scenario (franchise tag for example). Basically, they can't just ignore the rest of the roster because they are worried that Dalton is going to try for a Flacco-like contract. They already played it safe passing on Collins and MJ and aren't going to let another very good player like Vontaze walk next year.

Who are the college QB's that will most likely be entering the draft in 2015?  Like potential

first rounders?

One thing that kind of worries me is, if we take a QB in this upcoming draft (2014) say in the

3rd round or later and Dalton stays healthy all year but for some reason we let him walk, we

have a 3rd round or later QB going into 2015 with no starts under his belt and no veteran

QB on the roster since Jason Campbell only signed a 1 year deal.  That's why I was asking

what potential 1st round QB's may be entering the 2015 draft.  Do we roll the dice and hope

that a 3rd round or lower QB with zero NFL starts is our potential starting QB of the future

or do we possibly have to look at one in the 1st round of the 2015 draft?  That making sense?

It's 3:00 a.m. and my eyes and mind are tired lol! 

Who are the college QB's that will most likely be entering the draft in 2015?  Like potential

first rounders?

One thing that kind of worries me is, if we take a QB in this upcoming draft (2014) say in the

3rd round or later and Dalton stays healthy all year but for some reason we let him walk, we

have a 3rd round or later QB going into 2015 with no starts under his belt and no veteran

QB on the roster since Jason Campbell only signed a 1 year deal.  That's why I was asking

what potential 1st round QB's may be entering the 2015 draft.  Do we roll the dice and hope

that a 3rd round or lower QB with zero NFL starts is our potential starting QB of the future

or do we possibly have to look at one in the 1st round of the 2015 draft?  That making sense?

It's 3:00 a.m. and my eyes and mind are tired lol! 

Keep in mind we're likely not drafting high enough in 2015 to get a top guy either. I see it as a 2nd tier guy with 1 year in the system or a 2nd tier guy you ask to start day 1 if Andy leaves.

We got lucky Andy was able to come in and start on day 1. It would be foolish to expect that to work twice in a row.

I think you misunderstood my post. My post wasn't meant to absolve dalton of anything or really had to do with Andy at all. It also wasn't to blame Gio. I just think that was a huge play in the game and maybe if it goes our way it changes the direction of the game.

Fact of the matter is it happened and after that our guys didn't bounce back and many people played like shit in that second half.

I made a post about "reading between the lines" about 6 weeks ago and predicted 3 things that are touched on in this article:

1. We aren't going to get a deal with Andy Dalton this offseason.

2. We are going to take a QB in round 3 or 4 to groom as Andy's possible replacement.

3. We are going to get an extension done with AJ or Vontaze this summer (I think it will be Vontaze).

I feel even stronger about those 3 predictions after reading Mike's comments... 

On Dalton: Mike has never been a guy to just do what everyone else does. Dalton's agent is understandably pointing to the deals of Cutler, Flacco, Stafford, Romo, etc. and likely demanding at least $15M a year for an extension. Maybe even $17 or $18M. Due to QB salary inflation at QB and the mega-contracts that these other non-elite QBs have received, that is a reasonable demand. But just because other teams are paying stupid money to non-elite QBs doesn't mean Mike is going to do the same if he thinks it is a mistake. I think he has made Dalton an offer he feels is fair ($10M a year? $12M a year?). If Dalton doesn't accept (which he probably shouldn't if he believes in himself), Mike won't budge and Andy will play out the final year of his deal. 

On potentially replacing Dalton: The Bengals absolutely must have a legit plan B in place if they do let Andy play out the final year of his deal in 2014. If not, you end up with a lot of bad options in 2015... 1. Overpay Dalton because he has you by the balls. 2. Overpay some shitty journeyman veteran (see Matt Schaub, Carson Palmer, etc.) 3. Go into the 2015 draft with everyone knowing you absolutely must draft a starting QB early. Mike alluded to his plan here in referencing Russell Wilson (a 3rd round pick). I made another topic making the case that while I think Dalton is pretty good, I'm not sure that Dalton at $15M+ a year is actually better for the team than getting a rookie for 4 years at $1M a year and making sure the team around him is loaded. Mike seems to be pondering that very same idea...At the very least, the Bengals need to have their Plan B already in place next March for if Dalton wants to test FA and gets offered $20M by somebody.

On Vontaze: Again, I think Vontaze's extension is what Mike is alluding to and he implies that they are waiting on extensions for Vontaze, AJ and others to make absolutely sure they have enough cap space to get Dalton done. But he also says they aren't going to wait forever. I think they make their best offer (for now) to Andy. But if he doesn't accept, they need to start moving on and getting other guys signed, even if that potentially puts them in a position where they can't afford Dalton under every single scenario (franchise tag for example). Basically, they can't just ignore the rest of the roster because they are worried that Dalton is going to try for a Flacco-like contract. They already played it safe passing on Collins and MJ and aren't going to let another very good player like Vontaze walk next year.

I think the Bengals will draft a QB in the 2nd or 3rd round of the draft

I think they could go QB as early as 3, but I think 4 is more likely.

With 1 caveat.  If they are way apart with Dalton they might go as high as 2, but I still think 3 is more likely.

Especially if they don't get a CB in 1.

I think an owner's personality rubs off on their team the more they are involved, and in the case of MB his personality seems about as inspiring as a turnip. All this other stuff about how the team is actually being run is outdated IMO, and I think the recent success is in large part due to his lack of involvement. I've also heard nothing but good things about his treatment of people etc. My point was that as the guy at the head of an organization in which leadership is so important, he always sounds like a perpetual loser. You know the "Old Gill" character from the Simpsons? Or Droopy Dog for you old farts? That.

For the record though I think the other complaints in this thread are based on emotion and/or the past.

I think you misunderstood my post. My post wasn't meant to absolve dalton of anything or really had to do with Andy at all. It also wasn't to blame Gio. I just think that was a huge play in the game and maybe if it goes our way it changes the direction of the game.

Fact of the matter is it happened and after that our guys didn't bounce back and many people played like shit in that second half.

When you say our guys, I think you should say Andy Dalton because he's the one that committed 3 turnovers in the second half. I don't think Gio's 2nd quarter fumble had that much impact on the game that it couldn't be overcome because the Bengals were still winning the game at halftime, even after the fumble heard around the world. 

If you want point fingers at specific players and say that they negatively impacted the outcome of the game, which you clearly are doing, I think it would only be fair and accurate to start with the player that committed the most turnovers at the most crucial point of the game...but that probably makes too much sense. 

Hell at least Gio's fumble was the result of a great defensive play, Dalton wasn't even touched ..he was running, got scared, slid before reaching the first down, and coughed up the rock...probably the most inept play of the playoffs and summarizes why Dalton needs to be replaced, imo. 

I hope Andy wants a Stafford/Romo/Flacco deal so MB will move on from this guy, as he his the exact opposite of clutch. That is the only way we will get any change at the QB position.  

I think an owner's personality rubs off on their team the more they are involved, and in the case of MB his personality seems about as inspiring as a turnip. All this other stuff about how the team is actually being run is outdated IMO, and I think the recent success is in large part due to his lack of involvement. I've also heard nothing but good things about his treatment of people etc. My point was that as the guy at the head of an organization in which leadership is so important, he always sounds like a perpetual loser. You know the "Old Gill" character from the Simpsons? Or Droopy Dog for you old farts? That.

For the record though I think the other complaints in this thread are based on emotion and/or the past.

Btwn Marvin's propensity to get ultra conservative in big games and MB's bland personality it no reason why this franchise never seems to get up for the big games.They always seem to come out flat and never play with any urgency or emotion.

Hopefully having Hue at OC will help, but he's fighting an up hill battle. I wish we would've have Hue and Zimmer as OC and DC, their personalities would have been enough to get this team over the hump, imo.  

When you say our guys, I think you should say Andy Dalton because he's the one that committed 3 turnovers in the second half. I don't think Gio's 2nd quarter fumble had that much impact on the game that it couldn't be overcome because the Bengals were still winning the game at halftime, even after the fumble heard around the world. 

If you want point fingers at specific players and say that they negatively impacted the outcome of the game, which you clearly are doing, I think it would only be fair and accurate to start with the player that committed the most turnovers at the most crucial point of the game...but that probably makes too much sense. 

Hell at least Gio's fumble was the result of a great defensive play, Dalton wasn't even touched ..he was running, got scared, slid before reaching the first down, and coughed up the rock...probably the most inept play of the playoffs and summarizes why Dalton needs to be replaced, imo. 

I hope Andy wants a Stafford/Romo/Flacco deal so MB will move on from this guy, as he his the exact opposite of clutch. That is the only way we will get any change at the QB position.  

Once again I think you are missing the point of my post. My post had nothing to do with who was to blame, nothing to do with Andy or anything.

My post was in response to someone saying it wasn't just a bad break or bounce that lost us the game. My point was just that if a couple plays go differently, including the Gio fumble, I think we would have won that game. To repeat myself, we should have still won even with that fumble and the game was still well within our grasps after that play. But I do think if that play never happens that game could have easily been different. Not a guarantee or anything, just my opinion.

I don't get why every post has to do with dalton?

If Mike is speaking truthfully about his intentions then I'm definately on board

in regards to Dalton.  With the way this team is built ( very strong one ) I would

continue to surround the QB with a quality offense and defense and see where

the chips fall at QB. 

I fully agree. It gets mentioned a lot that with our supporting cast Andy doesn't need to carry the load. At his current price that's true but at $15M+ a year he would have to and he has one more year to show he can.

Mike Brown's stubbornness will finally pay off!   I LOVED reading what I did from Mike Brown regarding Dalton.  Can't set this team back so significantly by offering him big money.  That would be extremely unwise, regardless of what Dalton "deserves" due to his inflated stats.  Inflated stats that wouldn't happen if he was paid highly because some of those same players making him look better than he is would not be around due to cap restrictions.   

And people are seriously STILL bitching about Mike Brown?  Do you think the players before the SD playoff game all had a flashback to the 2010 press conference or Mike's easy going personality and said, you know what, I'm going to play like shit today as a result of my team's owner being how he is.   Do you think he put together a roster that was capable of winning?  Do you think he managed the cap well?  Well....these are his primary tasks.  He did both pretty well I would say.....didn't he also win GM of the Year or some shit 2 yrs ago?   Yet you're STILL bitching about Mike Brown?   Absolve players from blame at all costs, you know, the ones who are doing the actual playing....at the first hint of criticism of a player, go off on a tirade against anyone who dare criticize, all the while complaining about someone who has by all standards and measures, excelled at his profession over the past few years.  Seems logical. 

Nobody is absolving anyone. Are we only allowed to criticize Dalton? I don't think the players made some conscious decision - quit being naive. The boss's personality rubs off on how people perform, in football or any other business.

I will say that I agree with keeping the QB's salary manageable, regardless of Dalton being the whipping boy for every offensive mistake. Funny how AJ dropping a pass right in his lap seems to have been quietly forgotten. Dude's effort last year was very inconsistent but nobody seems to have a problem with the idea of handing him a blank check.

Long-term success means not hamstringing ourselves financially for anybody, not just the QB.

I have no love for Mike Brown, but only a fool would say he and his front office have not done a good job the last 4 years.

Maybe you would rather have Jerry Jones?  He certainly has a lot more personality...but look what the cowboys have done under his 'leadership'

Yea

I have no love for Mike Brown, but only a fool would say he and the front office have not done a good job the last 4 years.

Maybe you would rather have Jerry Jones?  He certainly has a lot more personality...but look what the cowboys have done under his 'leadership'

The front office has done a great job the last 4 years IMO, and that front office has very little input from MB. Jones is more of the entitled petty tyrant type, and it's rubbed off on his team, too. I would rather have an owner that knows he isn't some great football mind and is content to sit in his luxury box and watch the team win, make a little speech if they win the SB, and otherwise stay out of the way. That being said, he is the owner so if he wants to play with his action figures that's certainly his prerogative.

After all the screaming for MB to step down, it's kinda funny how few people seem to recognize that he has quietly done so.

Anyway.. I feel like I'm repeating myself. Go back and reread what I actually posted if you think I'm being overly critical of the guy.

Nobody is absolving anyone. Are we only allowed to criticize Dalton? I don't think the players made some conscious decision - quit being naive. The boss's personality rubs off on how people perform, in football or any other business.

I will say that I agree with keeping the QB's salary manageable, regardless of Dalton being the whipping boy for every offensive mistake. Funny how AJ dropping a pass right in his lap seems to have been quietly forgotten. Dude's effort last year was very inconsistent but nobody seems to have a problem with the idea of handing him a blank check.

Long-term success means not hamstringing ourselves financially for anybody, not just the QB.

Football is the ultimate team game, sure some on here....definitely not me tho, def not me ;) .....criticize certain players too much.   That's understood.   But at least those players are worthy of the criticism.....whereas Mike Brown has done everything you would ask of someone in his position.   Not sure what else you want him to do.....

I don't think the OWNER'S personality rubs off on the players, instead the HC's.  Marvin is the one who is interacting with these players on a daily basis, not Mike Brown.   Players don't interact with MB much at all.....so to say his personality is the one that is rubbing off on the players is inaccurate IMO.   If you have a problem with personalities rubbing off on players, I would say look at Marvin....not MB. 

AJ Green definitely had drops, lack of effort at times last year.....he's not free of blame either.   I certainly don't want to hand him a blank check.....in fact, a few months ago, I asked a question.  Who was the last SB winning team whose WR was making the most money on the team or even making top 5 money?   There aren't (m)any so I proposed letting AJ go on somewhere and drafting or acquiring his replacement.   I understand he's an elite WR and top 3 in the league....but he will be VERY expensive.   Though it seems MB is ok with paying AJ big bucks or maybe the sly fox is holding on to AJ for 2 more years at about 14 million total....and will find his replacement in the meantime.   I wouldn't doubt that....or hate it. 

Archived