Catching up with Mike Brown

Sitting near the sliding glass door overlooking the plush, green golf course at the Ritz-Carlton Hotel, Mike Brown spoke with myself and Bengals.com reporter Geoff Hobson about a range of topics the day before the league meetings begin in Orlando.

He discussed the possible expansion of the postseason, Marvin Lewis' missing playoff victory, the desire to sign Andy Dalton long term and options regarding A.J. Green.

Here's a collection of the five most revealing questions and answers with Brown as the team comes off an early free agency period spent watching top targets Michael Johnson and Anthony Collins bolt for Tampa Bay and extending Lewis by one year.

Marvin said you are more patient than he is, but people, of course, want Marvin to win that playoff game?

"Listen, no one wants to win that playoff game more than Marvin does. Believe me, this last year we thought we were going to win this playoff game finally, everything had aligned and low and behold we found a way not to. Does that upset some people? I think it does, but they aren't just the people watching in the stands it's the people playing, the people coaching, the people in my situation, we all wanted to get that done. But my reaction to disappointment is not lop off people's heads. I think we proved that we were pretty good, that we have a good, solid football team. I don't know that starting over suddenly is the best way to take the next step. I think we have a strong base, we can build on that. One of these days we won't fumble and they will. If that is patience, then I guess I am patient."

Seeing these big numbers directed to QBs in the new CBA, they will continue to get paid far more than others — is it safer to lock in quarterbacks early before those numbers continue to jump up and is there inherent risk in allowing quarterbacks like Dalton to hit the market because teams are willing to spend such huge amounts of money to get a QB?

"The player market is something that always is surprising. Why the prices are so high is hard to know for sure. You look backwards and there have been more bad deals then good deals from a clubs perspective. That doesn't mean there haven't been some good deals — there have. More often than not you don't win overpaying a guy.

"With quarterbacks there is another dilemma. With a fixed cap there is a certain amount of money and no more. You allocate that on a quarterback you have less to hand out to everybody else. It can cause attrition. We are going through a difficult time right now because we are trying to work through a deal with Andy and trying to hold back enough money in the cap to do that, yet we don't know what that is.

"What do we do? Do we sign guys then find out we don't have enough to do him? Or do we risk and hold back enough to make sure we can get him done and maybe lose a guy or two? That is what happened to us already this year. When you go forward in this league it is not clear which is the better way to go. Do you have a high-priced quarterback and less elsewhere or do you try to have as many guys as you can have and maybe a quarterback that is young and not so highly paid? Seattle, for example of that. In fact, you look at the statistics it is rather surprising how few quarterbacks that are old in recent years — saying over 30 — have won the Super Bowl. They've gotten there but they haven't won it. I don't know is that better formula to go with a younger guy and spread the money around? That's a dilemma for us. We are trying to work through it. It's slow going. I can't predict when we are going to get that matter resolved."

You've made a decision you'd like to go with Dalton as your guy going forward?

"We are going to try to get something done but I don't know if we are going to be able to or not. At some point we are going to have to do something more than just let everyone else leave waiting to get something done with that situation. We held back this year trying to put ourselves in a position to get him done. If it turns out it can't be made to work we will do something elsewhere. I don't think we plan to go another year the way we did this year."

Would you put A.J. Green needing an extension in a similar boat as Dalton?

"A.J. has one difference, you can tender him (with the transition tag -- $10.176 million for WR in 2014). That takes a big chunk of money. He'd probably get it anyway. It keeps him on the reservation, he's not going to be leaving. He's going to be here for not one more year but two more years. Even though we haven't tendered him yet our intention is to do that and put ourselves in position to turn to others such as Dalton and we would like to turn to a couple more as well. We would like to get something long term but at least we know with A.J. we have two years. With some of the others we have one year."

How do you feel about the possibility of expanding the playoffs to counteract trimming the preseason?

"If you tied the two together, I think that would be a good way to go forward. I don't think it's ripe for a call this time. I think it's going to be discussed and it will lay the foundation to do something that could be as early as May or at the next annual meeting, I don't know, but I do think that one will happen. If you had another wild card game, that would produce a revenue stream that could be used to offset money lost if you did something with the preseason. I'm not saying there's just one thing to do with the preseason. There could be a lot of ways to approach it. Cut it back one game, two games. Would you just reduce the prices? I'm not sure how that would evolve, but this gives you an opportunity to do that if you chose and still have a revenue stream that would be comparable, which would appeal to the players, as much as they talk about the preseason. They aren't looking to go back in revenue. This might be a way to satisfy everybody."

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/03/23/five-questions-with-mike-brown/6794589/

Takeaway 1: #Bengals line of extensions begins with Andy Dalton. View trying to work a long-term deal w/ him as priority No. 1.

Takeaway 2: #Bengals plan to place a transition tag on A.J. Green to assure he stays 2 more years. Prefer long deal, but playing that card

By the way, team holds club option on extra year at transition number. Is part of his top 10 pick deal.

The AJ transition tag would mainly be to buy time to get his deal done after Daltons. Is #bengals option as part of his deal. Is in CBA.

Takeaway 3: Brown says playoff expansion happening. Whether agreed to in May or 2015, sees eventually pairing w/ changes to preseason.

Takeaway 4: Brown’s expectations are replay w/ NYC help will go through. He’d prefer replay didn’t expand, but understands reality.

Takeaway 5: #Bengals held back money letting others go this year for extensions, will not do that again next year.

Should also be noted, if #Bengals can't work out deal with Dalton (that's a big if), others will get paid (see AJ/Tez/etc).

ORLANDO, Fla. _ The NFL's annual meeting doesn't officially convene until Monday morning, but things got off to an informal start Sunday with some committee work for owners, general managers, and coaches.

The spring meeting is also when Bengals president Mike Brown sits down with local media and on Sunday he outlined his thoughts to Bengals.com and The Cincinnati Enquirer on keeping his AFC Central North champions intact while discussing some of the major NFL issues on the table this week.

The highlights:

_Citing the high cost of quarterbacks, Brown said a contract extension for Andy Dalton is central in the planning and strategy of keeping together a team that has been to the playoffs three straight seasons. The young core, led by Dalton and three-time Pro Bowl wide receiver A.J. Green, is heading into their contract years and Brown said Sunday the Bengals are trying to get a deal with Dalton so they can put other deals in place.

"We are going to try to get something done but I don’t know if we are going to be able to or not," Brown said. "At some point we are going to have to do something more than just let everyone else leave waiting to get something done with that situation. We held back this year trying to put ourselves in a position to get him done. If it turns out it can’t be made to work we will do something elsewhere. I don’t think we plan to go another year the way we did this year."

Since Green was drafted in the top ten in 2011 (No. 4), the Bengals can tender him a one-year contract for 2015 at an average of the top 10 paid receivers in the NFL. For this year, that would be $10.76 million and it will be higher next year. But Brown said they'd like to get a long-term deal with both. Dalton has no such option as a second-rounder in the same draft and is scheduled to be become an unrestricted free agent.  

"(Green is) going to be here for not one more year but two more years," Brown said. "Even though we haven’t tendered him yet our intention is to do that and put ourselves in position to turn to others such as Dalton and we would like to turn to a couple more as well.

"We would like to get something long term (with Green), but at least we know with A.J. we have two years. With some of the others we have one year."

The QB number is typically the biggest on the roster. The transition number this year is $14.66 million and Brown talked about "the dilemma," facing teams.  The salary cap is rising, but so are the quarterbacks' salaries that take such a chunk out of the cap.

"What do we do? Do we sign guys then find out we don’t have enough to do him? Or do we risk and hold back enough to make sure we can get him done and maybe lose a guy or two?" Brown asked rhetorically as he thought of the free-agent loss of right end Michael Johnson a few weeks ago.

"When you go forward in this league it is not clear which is the better way to go. Do you have a high-priced quarterback and less elsewhere or do you try to have as many guys as you can have and maybe a quarterback that is young and not so highly paid?" Brown asked. "Seattle, for example of that. In fact, you look at the statistics it is rather surprising how few quarterbacks that are old in recent years — saying over 30 — have won the Super Bowl. They’ve gotten there but they haven’t won it. I don’t know is that (a) better formula to go with a younger guy and spread the money around? That’s a dilemma for us. We are trying to work through it. It’s slow going. I can’t predict when we are going to get that matter resolved."

_Earlier this month the Bengals extended head coach Marvin Lewis for a year through the 2015 season despite the blistering criticism from the upset loss in the wild card game to San Diego. Lewis has often said that Brown is more patient than him. On Sunday, Brown reiterated he's patient. He believes Lewis is the coach of a team that has a strong, talented nucleus.

"Listen, no one wants to win that playoff game more than Marvin does. Believe me, this last year we thought we were going to win this playoff game finally, everything had aligned and lo and behold we found a way not to," Brown said. "Does that upset some people? I think it does, but they aren’t just the people watching in the stands it’s the people playing, the people coaching, the people in my situation, we all wanted to get that done.

"But my reaction to disappointment is not lop off people’s heads. I think we proved that we were pretty good, that we have a good, solid football team. I don’t know that starting over suddenly is the best way to take the next step. I think we have a strong base, we can build on that. One of these days we won’t fumble and they will. If that is patience, then I guess I am patient."

The negotiating process would surprise people, Brown said. He wanted to get the issue out of the way so it wasn't "hanging" around. 

"Everyone else is taken care of. It didn’t seem to me Marvin shouldn’t get taken care of so we are all going forward without having that hanging over us," Brown said. "It’s never acrimonious. It just is the two of us being willing to go forward. He’s conscious of the numbers that are around and about. I’m conscious of our situation and what it can afford. So we try to compromise those two conflicting interests. Usually we get it done. In fact, we always have gotten it done."

Including the original three-year deal, they've gotten it done seven times.

_Brown doesn't anticipate playoff expansion being approved this week. But he thinks it will be done in time for the 2015 season. One team each from the AFC and NFC would be added, giving rise to another wild card. Brown said it sounds like that might be a good compromise to make changes to the preseason.

"If you had another wild card game, that would produce a revenue stream that could be used to offset money lost if you did something with the preseason," Brown said. "I'm not saying there's just one thing to do with the preseason. There could be a lot of ways to approach it. Cut it back one game, two games. Would you just reduce the prices? I'm not sure how that would evolve, but this gives you an opportunity to do that if you chose and still have a revenue stream that would be comparable, which would appeal to the players, as much as they talk about the preseason. They aren't looking to go back in revenue. This might be a way to satisfy everybody."

As for the proposed change in the extra point where it would be kicked from the 25-yard line, Brown doesn't see that passing this week. But he is for making the PAT not automatic and would like to see the narrowing of the goal posts.

http://www.bengals.com/news/article-1/Notes-Brown-looking-for-a-Dalton-deal/19184da2-4ffd-4665-9237-407e6962c1cd?campaign=cin:fanshare:twitter

What I hear is this: Andy Dalton will agree to a deal that we like and soon or we'll move on. We don't have to do AJ right away but time is short for others like Burfict and we aren't going to wait around for him to prove it like the Ravens did for fuck-o.

I think if he isn't extended before the year starts or maybe even the draft then all bets are off.

MB is the master lawyer. He sets up the serve with "we really want to..." then feints with the "time is short" crossover. It is a nice gambit: signaling that he really does...and really has all the time in the world. Andy, AJ, and 'Taze are all going to be very nicely paid...just come down to his number, which isn't that far of a drop, and may actually be more than what they would be expecting.

None of the three are going anywhere.

What I hear is this: Andy Dalton will agree to a deal that we like and soon or we'll move on. We don't have to do AJ right away but time is short for others like Burfict and we aren't going to wait around for him to prove it like the Ravens did for fuck-o.

I think if he isn't extended before the year starts or maybe even the draft then all bets are off.

I also got the impression they are far apart on what Dalton is worth.  

Explaining A.J. Green's contract situation

Mike Brown confirmed Sunday he plans to exercise the club option as part of A.J. Green's contract this year.

It serves in the same way as a transition tag.

Many times when we hear the word transition tag the instant thought goes to the contentious nature of it with Cleveland's Alex Mack. It hasn't really been used much.

Truth be told, though, this has nothing to do with that. This marks the first year the new CBA effects rookie contracts set to be up. In regards to top 10 picks in 2011, every team has an option to place a transition tag paying him an average of the top 10 at their position in order to lock them in for a fifth year.

They must make this decision by the first week in May this year. It will be about $11 million for the one year in Green's case.

Most every team who had a top 10 pick that year is expected to do the same thing the Bengals are with Green.

Those are Cam Newton (Panthers), Von Miller (Denver), Marcell Dareus (Buffalo), Patrick Peterson (Arizona), Julio Jones (Atlanta), Aldon Smith (San Francisco) and Tyron Smith (Dallas). The only two unlikely to be given the option are Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville's pick) and Jake Locker (Tennessee).

This is not some sort of power play made by the Bengals, rather part of the rookie contract negotiated with the CBA. The team can, obviously, still negotiate a long-term contract with Green instead of pay the lusty $11 million. Both sides will talk.

The Bengals also have the right after the 2015 season to franchise Green if they would like, but Brown didn't delve further into that issue.

Moral of the story: Brown only confirmed the team would exercise the club option under the transition tag money, which is an assumption most all teams will do as well with their top 10 picks. It assures he stays in Cincinnati for the next two years. They have that much time to figure out his long-term contract situation.

On the other hand, involving Andy Dalton whose contract is up after 2014, the team must figure out if they want to extend him now or allow him to hit the open market. That makes him more pressing a situation than Green.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/03/23/explaining-greens-contract-option/6797089/

Explaining A.J. Green's contract situation

Mike Brown confirmed Sunday he plans to exercise the club option as part of A.J. Green's contract this year.

It serves in the same way as a transition tag.

Many times when we hear the word transition tag the instant thought goes to the contentious nature of it with Cleveland's Alex Mack. It hasn't really been used much.

Truth be told, though, this has nothing to do with that. This marks the first year the new CBA effects rookie contracts set to be up. In regards to top 10 picks in 2011, every team has an option to place a transition tag paying him an average of the top 10 at their position in order to lock them in for a fifth year.

They must make this decision by the first week in May this year. It will be about $11 million for the one year in Green's case.

Most every team who had a top 10 pick that year is expected to do the same thing the Bengals are with Green.

Those are Cam Newton (Panthers), Von Miller (Denver), Marcell Dareus (Buffalo), Patrick Peterson (Arizona), Julio Jones (Atlanta), Aldon Smith (San Francisco) and Tyron Smith (Dallas). The only two unlikely to be given the option are Blaine Gabbert (Jacksonville's pick) and Jake Locker (Tennessee).

This is not some sort of power play made by the Bengals, rather part of the rookie contract negotiated with the CBA. The team can, obviously, still negotiate a long-term contract with Green instead of pay the lusty $11 million. Both sides will talk.

The Bengals also have the right after the 2015 season to franchise Green if they would like, but Brown didn't delve further into that issue.

Moral of the story: Brown only confirmed the team would exercise the club option under the transition tag money, which is an assumption most all teams will do as well with their top 10 picks. It assures he stays in Cincinnati for the next two years. They have that much time to figure out his long-term contract situation.

On the other hand, involving Andy Dalton whose contract is up after 2014, the team must figure out if they want to extend him now or allow him to hit the open market. That makes him more pressing a situation than Green.

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/blogs/2014/03/23/explaining-greens-contract-option/6797089/

someone clear this up.... if the option was the same as the transition tag, that would mean another team could give him an offer. My understanding is it's simply using the transition tag number for salary, but in no way does it function like a transition tag

someone clear this up.... if the option was the same as the transition tag, that would mean another team could give him an offer. My understanding is it's simply using the transition tag number for salary, but in no way does it function like a transition tag

The size of the salary is the same as the transition tag.  It is an exclusive 5th year option, as all first round contracts have these days,

The tag term is misleading, it's a team option for a 5th year added to the contract at the same value as the transition tag. Nobody can negotiate with him or sign him away, it's built into the contract that he already signed. AJ is locked up for 2 more seasons under his current contract, and I doubt they'd hesitate to franchise him if he actually got through 2015 without an extension signed and sealed.

I got the same from it. I guess dalton thinks if they lowball him on this offer he can make buku bucks in free agency. He's probably right.

And he would.

But some things about NFL QB's--starting ones in particular (even The Quitter)--are they are not as mercenary as other position players from what I have seen. By that, I don't mean they do not want to be handsomely paid, rather that they have an apparent mode of being "the leader" and "my team"...that sort of thing. They are the face. They don't leave easy...and money would be definitively secondary. By simply their position, they will be highly compensated. And unless there is a philosophical or play dispute--which there is no such thing between the parties here--then apparent "gaps" in pay, will be easily resolved.

That is why I really believe he will be here...mainly because he wants to be.

Yeah extension is the wrong phrase. Tender is too. Picked up the option.

Would you put A.J. Green needing an extension in a similar boat as Dalton?

"A.J. has one difference, you can tender him (with the transition tag -- $10.176 million for WR in 2014). That takes a big chunk of money. He'd probably get it anyway. It keeps him on the reservation, he's not going to be leaving. He's going to be here for not one more year but two more years. Even though we haven't tendered him yet our intention is to do that and put ourselves in position to turn to others such as Dalton and we would like to turn to a couple more as well. We would like to get something long term but at least we know with A.J. we have two years. With some of the others we have one year."

I grabbed the tender phrase from here, although it still doesn't sound right. In any event we haven't done it yet so I'm not sure you need to change him to 2015.  It doesn't really matter I guess. Just got excited for a second when I read extension.  I went searching on Twitter until I realized what you meant.   No biggy.

Hey guys, one of these days they will fumble and we won't. Now that's the kind of rallying cry that makes guys want to run through a wall for you!

F Yeh! Now let's get out there and hope the other guy screws up!

That's football in a nutshell, isn't it? Really chaotic, one bounce of the ball in a different way can change the entire game. MB isn't exactly a poet, pretty sure that's what he's trying to say here.

The only reason Dalton has to sign now is this upcoming year.

It comes down to: 1. Does he want to risk injury/sucking this year vs. taking a guaranteed tens of millions of dollars.

2. Take the risk and hit FA hoping a team offers even more.

You could luck out like Flacco did or destroy your knee/shoulder and lose millions.

Lots of interesting comments from Mike on Dalton. Part of me sees him using Andy as a scape goat for not spending money and letting some good players leave. Another part sees it as a negotiating ploy to get Andy to come down on his price or risk the team moving in another direction with their priorities. I also found Mike's comments on the salary cap and the QB position very revealing, especially using Seattle as an example. It doesn't strike me as a guy who feels convinced that spending big on a QB is a slam dunk decision. Hard to tell how much of that is a reflection on Andy or just the recent history throughout the league, including the contract he gave to Palmer.

The only reason Dalton has to sign now is this upcoming year.

It comes down to: 1. Does he want to risk injury/sucking this year vs. taking a guaranteed tens of millions of dollars.

2. Take the risk and hit FA hoping a team offers even more.

You could luck out like Flacco did or destroy your knee/shoulder and lose millions.

Dalton is holding a good hand. If he has the same statistical season in 2014, a Minnesota/Oakland/JAX/Raiders will throw stacks at him in FA. These are teams that are desperate for stability at QB, which AD provides at a minimum. He honestly doesn't have much incentive to re-up now unless the Bengals are giving him a good offer. The danger is there of a Brees-type dangerous injury, but Dalton is proved durable and the Bengals will be exposing him less in 2014. I'd probably roll the dice on that if I were him.

Lots of interesting comments from Mike on Dalton. Part of me sees him using Andy as a scape goat for not spending money and letting some good players leave. Another part sees it as a negotiating ploy to get Andy to come down on his price or risk the team moving in another direction with their priorities. I also found Mike's comments on the salary cap and the QB position very revealing, especially using Seattle as an example. It doesn't strike me as a guy who feels convinced that spending big on a QB is a slam dunk decision. Hard to tell how much of that is a reflection on Andy or just the recent history throughout the league, including the contract he gave to Palmer.

It strikes me more as he doesn't like how inflated QB deals are getting, which is totally true. It affects the entire team. Seattle, SF, and even the Bengals are stupid lucky to be getting good QB play for peanuts right now. It's definitely not the norm and all 3 of their QBs are getting paid one way or the other.

Dalton is holding a good hand. If he has the same statistical season in 2014, a Minnesota/Oakland/JAX/Raiders will throw stacks at him in FA. These are teams that are desperate for stability at QB, which AD provides at a minimum. He honestly doesn't have much incentive to re-up now unless the Bengals are giving him a good offer. The danger is there of a Brees-type dangerous injury, but Dalton is proved durable and the Bengals will be exposing him less in 2014. I'd probably roll the dice on that if I were him.

Im fine with the bengals rolling the dice on 2014 as well. I mean I wouldnt hate it if they signed him now to a decent deal, but playing out 2014 isnt a terrible idea either.

If he regresses in 2014, let him walk. If he has a similar 2014 to his 2013 and loses in the playoffs again, as you mentioned someone will pay him big bucks. Let them and find a QB in the draft or someone that could get you by for a year or two. If Dalton does go out and win a few playoff games or something, then pay him what he wants or at least franchise him. I know that isnt the best scenario cause you could end up like flacco, but if the worst case scenario (monetary wise) is winning a few playoff games (first time in 25 years), so be it. I can think of worse things than winning some playoff games.

It strikes me more as he doesn't like how inflated QB deals are getting, which is totally true. It affects the entire team. Seattle, SF, and even the Bengals are stupid lucky to be getting good QB play for peanuts right now. It's definitely not the norm and all 3 of their QBs are getting paid one way or the other.

A bad deal is a bad deal. And Mike seems to think there were plenty of bad deals given to QB's. Not all but more than a few. Overpaying doesn't lead to victories and tying up salary cap space with a bad deal is something to be avoided, regardless of whether some other idiot owner would do it.

A bad deal is a bad deal. And Mike seems to think there were plenty of bad deals given to QB's. Not all but more than a few. Overpaying doesn't lead to victories and tying up salary cap space with a bad deal is something to be avoided, regardless of whether some other idiot owner would do it.

I don't think it's the fault of one or two idiot owners, it's just what the market for starting QBs is driving to. 11 QBs are already making an average of more than $15m per year, with 4 of those over 20. Couple that with a recent huge run of very successful young QBs that have been locked into their salaries by the new CBA, but have been at least equally successful as the old guard - Kaepernick, Wilson, Luck, RG3, Dalton, Newton, Tannehill - and you have a recipe for an explosion in QB salary. I recently read a report that Kaepernick wants 18-20m per year, which is absurd, but he might just get it.

Archived