Bengals, A.J. Green not talking about a new contract yet

Well if they're adamant on resigning the shitty QB who makes his life as a WR hell, and resigning him to big numbers, I wouldn't count out him wanting to test the marker

I truly don't know how you stay a fan of the Bengals.  

I don't think, even if you asked him with nobody around and no repercussions, that AJ would even remotely agree with you.  I certainly could be wrong.  I'm sure he'd love to be playing with Brady, Manning, or Rodgers, but I don't buy for a damn second he would hold out or test the market b/c he thinks Dalton makes his life as a WR hell.  Fuck... if anything, he looks at AJ too much.

Why, because the Dolphins are terribly mismanaged? No reason to repeat their mistake.

Maybe we should base his contract on his postseason performance. Isn't that the new standard?

Maybe we should do that as soon as wide receivers start throwing to themselves.

I truly don't know how you stay a fan of the Bengals.  

I don't think, even if you asked him with nobody around and no repercussions, that AJ would even remotely agree with you.  I certainly could be wrong.  I'm sure he'd love to be playing with Brady, Manning, or Rodgers, but I don't buy for a damn second he would hold out or test the market b/c he thinks Dalton makes his life as a WR hell.  Fuck... if anything, he looks at AJ too much.

Which results in him throwing shitty passes that he has no chance of getting under and when he realizes that everyone says he has "horrible body language" and is "overrated" and has a "fuckload of drops". I'm tired of people shitting on AJ to make Andy look more than average. If Andy didn't have AJ, he'd be putting up Kyle Boller numbers. If AJ didn't have Andy, he'd be doing the same fucking shit. End of story

I love AJ Green, but to pay a WR what he will command after 2015 is pretty silly.   How many Superbowl participants/winners have had the highest paid player a WR or even top 3 salary on the team as a WR?  I can't count many.  

I agree with this. The position just doesn't demand it unless the player is someone like Megatron who is literally uncoverable.

Okay. You guys heard it here first. Resign Andy. Let AJ walk.

LMAO WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE

I'll give you $1000 cash if you can find even one quote of someone suggesting such a thing.  

What I'm saying is that the same principle applies with AJ as it does with Dalton.  Do you want to allocate THAT much of the cap to one player.  I personally wouldn't do it if I was the GM....if one of the two deserve the huge payday, it's definitely Green, who has skills that are extremely rare.  Athleticism at his size that's extremely rare.....but what I'm saying is that tying up so much money in 1 position isn't the wisest thing to do and past SB winners didn't have such a situation. 

Yeah, if Andy had only put that one throw in the San Diego game closer to his right thumb instead of his left palm, he could have made that catch!

Actually, he made the throw right in the perfect spot......for Ingram to intercept.   Same for the other pick....the one where he prematurely rolled right instead of stepping up in the pocket where he had all sorts of space and made a lazy, weak pass with barely any velocity that was also a perfect throw to the defender....right in his numbers. 

You don't give Andy enough credit.  Hater. 

I'll give you $1000 cash if you can find even one quote of someone suggesting such a thing.  

What I'm saying is that the same principle applies with AJ as it does with Dalton.  Do you want to allocate THAT much of the cap to one player.  I personally wouldn't do it if I was the GM....if one of the two deserve the huge payday, it's definitely Green, who has skills that are extremely rare.  Athleticism at his size that's extremely rare.....but what I'm saying is that tying up so much money in 1 position isn't the wisest thing to do and past SB winners didn't have such a situation. 

You suggested it'd be stupid to pay him what he commands after 2015. If we don't pay him what he commands, then....uhhh....I don't think he'd be on the team.

You suggested it'd be stupid to pay him what he commands after 2015. If we don't pay him what he commands, then....uhhh....I don't think he'd be on the team.

So you took that to mean I want to resign Andy but let AJ walk? 

And I didn't say it would be stupid....as he would actually deserve a big payday moreso than Dalton.....I said it wouldn't be the wisest thing to do.  Big difference homie.   And I cited past Superbowl winners as my logic as to why I wouldn't pay a WR around $15 mil/yr.   I think my reasonings were logical and reasonable. 

I love AJ Green, think he's a top 3 WR right now.....I'm just thinking long term and for the betterment of the whole team.  Same reason I don't like Dalton....IMO he's the one keeping the offense from its potential. 

Similar thinking was presented prior to drafting Green about how to build a team. The above is not correct, simply because there is never 1 way to win a Super Bowl.

Also a team is not constructed with 2nd contract cap values. It is constructed via rookie values. Teams extend and allocate their cap in accordance to impact and things we only get to see on hard knocks. Teams adapt the plan to build on the success of the draft.

There is no grey area in how this team values WR in regards to impact. They value them.

Thing about this is if Andy prices himself out and you have to bring in a rookie to be the QB again then that makes AJ all that much more valuable because do you really not want to have as many good weapons as you can for a rookie QB? AJ's best bet is to hold on for what happens with Andy, the Bengals wisest move (aside from getting Taz done) is to get AJ done before Andy imo

Similar thinking was presented prior to drafting Green about how to build a team. The above is not correct, simply because there is never 1 way to win a Super Bowl.

Also a team is not constructed with 2nd contract cap values. It is constructed via rookie values. Teams extend and allocate their cap in accordance to impact and things we only get to see on hard knocks. Teams adapt the plan to build on the success of the draft.

There is no grey area in how this team values WR in regards to impact. They value them.

I can't argue with that....I guess that's just my thinking if I was the GM.   My reasoning however, is rock solid. 

Agreed. I'd start the talks at 13 and not go above what Megatron is making but might consider matching what Fitz is making.

Even that is probably too high. CJ and Fitz came into the league under the old CBA as the 2nd and 3rd overall picks. Their contracts were scaled off franchise QB numbers. They are actually taking paycuts in their current deals from the end of their rookie deals. They hit all the escalators in their rookie deals and were scheduled to make 20 mil+ in the final year so they had a lot of leverage for their extensions.

That sort of situation doesn't apply to AJ (or anyone else under the new CBA), so he should be paid based on open market value, discounted a bit for being paid early. Everyone agrees Mike Wallace is overpaid. A couple of guys who have lived up to their deals would be Vincent Jackson and Andre Johnson so AJ's contract should be based off theirs, adjusted for the higher cap. So after adjusting upward for the cap and downward for being paid early, 10-12 mil is a fair range for an extension for AJ.

Archived