1 Week out Mock...

Round 1 Pick 30 (Trade down with San Fransico):   CJ Mosley, ILB, Alabama

The 49ers are guaranteed to want to move up since they have way more picks than they can fill with roster spots and I would be very happy to add another premium pick in the 2nd Round where the best value is had. Maualuga is the only real weak link in the linebacking core, and Mosley is the final piece. Teaming him with Burfict just is too enticing this late in Round 1.

Round 2 Pick 23:  Joel Bitonio OG, Nevada

Could go a LOT higher, but one of the highly rated guards/tackles will be sitting here at this pick much like Whitworth when we picked him. His versatility is a major addition with the loss of Collins. Bitonio is just a smart, tough player who is dedicated to his craft and whose game exudes effort. Sound like anyone you know? (cough...Whitworth...cough)

Round 2 Pick 29 (S.F.): Lamarcus Joyner, CB, Florida State

I would love to grab a top corner in in the 1st round, but I think the value is better here. Joyner can fit very nicely into that slot corner/ saftey hybrid position that Crocker was so good at and will add a bit of playmaking to the secondary.

Round 3 Pick 24:  Deone Bucannon, SS, Washington State

I'm pretty happy with the saftey play from a year ago, but the value is too good not to take Bucannon. He needs to develop a little, but Bucannon has impressive athleticism and physical traits you can't teach.

Round 4 Pick 23:  Cameron Flemming,OT, Stanford

Yup, more offensive line help. We need all the depth along the line that we can get. Excellent run blocker and has the flexibility to play LT and RT.

Round 5 Pick 24:   Aaron Murray, QB, Georgia

We all know a QB is going to be taken, it's just about when and how early. I think they'll wait till the middle rounds to take someone like Murray (and also to keep the Georgia pipeline intact). Murray could be another Dalton, but he's worth taking to push him regardless.

Round 6 Pick 23:   Dri Archer, WR, Kent State

The return game needs some juice, and Archer is the new Baby-Hawk. Fits too well not to happen.

Round 6 Pick 36 (COMP):  Tyler Gaffney, RB, Stanford

I took a RB later than most, but Gaffney would be a great compliment with his physical, down-hill running style.

Round 7 Pick 24: J.C. Copeland, FB, LSU

We need a true fullback and Copeland is a brute. The Orson Charles experiment is over; enough said.

Round 7 Pick 37 (COMP):   Aaron Colvin, CB, Oklahoma

You aren't getting much value this late, so why not take a shot. Colvin would have been a day 2 pick before the injury, and he's a steal here. Store him on the IR for a year and reap the rewards a year from now.

if we made that trade, and assuming none of the decent 1st round CBs had dropped, i'd have to think long and hard about taking carlos hyde with that 30th pick. now you're talking about getting good, fair value while upgrading our running game to the next level with the draft's best back. the extra second round pick would allow us the flexibility to make that call without upsetting the balance of the rest of our draft. i'm also not that high on the plodding mosley and think he's yet another player who looks better than he is being in that bama system with nothing but top notch players surrounding him. put another way, a much better college player than he will be in the pro ranks.

. i'm also not that high on the plodding mosley and think he's yet another player who looks better than he is being in that bama system with nothing but top notch players surrounding him. put another way, a much better college player than he will be in the pro ranks.

I'm amazed and a little bit impressed you found a way to complain about a scenario that has the Bengals trading back but not out of the 1st round, picking up a 2nd round pick in return, and then drafting CJ Mosley at #30.

A very nice draft, but I really don't see (as others have said) Mosley, Buchanon, or Bitonio being there at those spots.
I think Mosley may be there at 24 (unlikely), Bitonio is probably a top 40 guy and Buchanon is 2nd round.

I suspect that Aaron Murray (whom I like) will go in the top 4 rounds and I really like the Colvin pick as a future, since I'm not sure he will contribute in 2014. I also really like Joyner because he gives you versatility and big plays.

Archived