Victor Hampton a Bengal

another low-risk, high-reward deal...man that defensive backfield could be nasty if some of these youngins pan out

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/10/bengals-sign-victor-hampton/

Bengals sign Victor Hampton
Posted by Josh Alper on June 10, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT
cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjjAP

For most players hoping to enter the NFL this season, a trip to New York in the spring meant they were invited to the draft as a projected high selection.

For former South Carolina cornerback Victor Hampton, though, a trip to New York may have contributed to going undrafted over the seven-round event. Police in New York Citywanted to speak to Hampton and fellow former Gamecock Kelcy Quarles after an April altercation in a nightclub. That wasn’t Hampton’s only run-in with the law as he was also reportedly arrested in Columbia, South Carolina earlier that month following an incident with his sister.

Hampton was seen as a possible mid-round pick, but no one took the bait until Tuesday. Hampton’s agent announced that his client has signed with the Bengals. The Giants, who signed Quarles, also showed some interest in Hampton before he opted to cast his lot with the Bengals.

It’s not a bad landing spot given the chances that the Bengals extended to Vontaze Burfict and Adam Jones in recent years. Still, at 5-9, Hampton will likely have to show he can handle special teams and slot duties in order to stick with Cincinnati out of camp.

another low-risk, high-reward deal...man that defensive backfield could be nasty if some of these youngins pan out

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/06/10/bengals-sign-victor-hampton/ Bengals sign Victor Hampton
Posted by Josh Alper on June 10, 2014, 5:39 PM EDT

cd0ymzcznguwzdbhnduynddiytjhm2yyzthlmtjj

AP

For most players hoping to enter the NFL this season, a trip to New York in the spring meant they were invited to the draft as a projected high selection.

For former South Carolina cornerback Victor Hampton, though, a trip to New York may have contributed to going undrafted over the seven-round event. Police in New York Citywanted to speak to Hampton and fellow former Gamecock Kelcy Quarles after an April altercation in a nightclub. That wasnt Hamptons only run-in with the law as he was also reportedly arrested in Columbia, South Carolina earlier that month following an incident with his sister.

Hampton was seen as a possible mid-round pick, but no one took the bait until Tuesday. Hamptons agent announced that his client has signed with the Bengals. The Giants, who signed Quarles, also showed some interest in Hampton before he opted to cast his lot with the Bengals.

Its not a bad landing spot given the chances that the Bengals extended to Vontaze Burfict and Adam Jones in recent years. Still, at 5-9, Hampton will likely have to show he can handle special teams and slot duties in order to stick with Cincinnati out of camp.

I lost all respect for the writer when he lumped Burfict in with this story. Do none of these writers do their homework anymore or do they just watch ESPN all day?

The Victor Hampton Project
by David Petrocelli 2w ago

Undrafted free agent Victor Hampton seems to be the kind of guy who likes to overcome challenges, yet the issue is that he provides himself with the challenges. Hes an intriguing prospect with some really great traits to contribute to a football team, but his intangibles dont seem to translate to his off-the-field life. His Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde persona puts teams in a real conundrum; maybe its the fact that the word persona came to mind, when deciding how to describe Hampton, that put teams off. Teams have had a real issue deciphering who the real Victor Hampton is and within a deep class of cornerbacks this year, along with a solid crop of safeties, it seems theyve decided to go with the easier route when it comes to their cornerback choices

On the one hand Hampton has been the definition of a red-flag all the way back to his high school days. He was dismissed from one of his several high school teams. He was committed to Florida prior to their removal of their offer because of character concerns. He was arrested before his South Carolina career even began due to underage drinking. He was redshirted for a year, which one would assume would be for maturation purposes, and then was dismissed from the team before being brought back and suspended for three games to start his redshirted freshman year. After a quiet time regarding his issues, he violated team rules and didnt start for two games and then was arrested for disorderly conducted stemming from an altercation with his sister.

Then theres the other Victor Hampton. Hes a team leader on the field, vocal and the kind of leader who inspires those around him. He was a productive player in the SEC often lining up against the oppositions most effective targets and often did well to curb their impacts. He finished his final year with 51 tackles (43 solo), 5 TFL, 9 pass deflections, 3 INTs, and a forced fumble. This all after a productive sophomore season. He helped South Carolina finish nearly in the top 10 of college defenses in both yards against and points against. Needless to say he was a quality player and team leader in college footballs toughest and most NFL-ready conference. Hampton also began to excel off the field. He was a participant in a reading program for the youth and often spoke at local schools. He gathered praise from his coaches as a guy who learned from his past issues and matured during his later college years. Seemingly a very different guy while in the football environment.

And then he was investigated regarding an incident at a New York City nightclub during the pre-draft process. He was cleared of any wrongdoing but the fact that he needed to explain another incident was extremely detrimental considering his long list of past transgressions; right when teams may have had some possible confidence in his maturation. Considering all these issues, teams were bound to question Hampton and consider the many other promising prospects in this draft.

Nearly two weeks have passed since the draft. Im sure Victor Hampton has been praying a whole lot and reconsidering all the choices hes made in his life, the people hes associated with, and possibly even what to do going forward. Following the draft he tweeted, I promise Im not a bad person. From the looks of his past, the only thing that has allowed Hampton to mature and focus has been the football environment. Although his combine performance showed he lacked speed, he proved he has strength and quickness. Hes not a leaper but an instinctive player who uses his football IQ and timing to make an impact on the field. Getting away from his roots in North and South Carolina may be an opportunity for Hampton to remove some of the off-field distractions and allow his full focus to be on football. The Cincinnati Bengals may be the perfect team for Hampton, possessing a proclivity for and effectiveness with UDFAs who have checkered pasts. They also have players who could relate well to Hampton and give him guidance. Hampton could contribute as another quality player while possessing the quickness, IQ, and toughness to be a stud in the slot or transition to safety. Anyone interested in the next Vontaze Burfict?

2014 NFL Draft: Victor Hampton needs to be given a chance
By Gamecock Man on May 13 2014, 10:00a

2014 NFL Draft: Victor Hampton needs to be given a chance
Victor Hampton would be a steal as a free agent for a team in need of depth at corner.
That Victor Hampton has yet to be picked up as an undrafted free agent by an NFL team has perplexed many South Carolina fans. While it's less surprising than it might seem that Hampton has drawn less attention than he expected to when he chose to forego his senior year of eligibility, Hampton does warrant a close look right now from scouts. An NFL team in need of depth at corner could pick up an excellent player at a low price by signing Hampton to a free agent deal.

It's not shocking that Hampton wasn't drafted. As Dion Caputi observes, Hampton is considered undersized by scouts who are enamored with the long corners who formed Seattle's elite passing defense. Hampton's size explains why he's yet to receive a call from an NFL franchise while Jimmy Legree, who was considered less talented than Hampton during their college careers, has been signed by--surprise, surprise--Seattle. Legree's game lacks the polish of Hampton's when Hampton is at his best, but Legree, who is taller with a wider wingspan, more so fits the the athletic prototype NFL teams are looking for right now. The low 40 time Hampton ran at the combine didn't help, either, by producing the impression that Hampton lacks both size and speed. Hampton's character concerns obviously didn't help, but Hampton isn't considered such a character concern that he wouldn't get a call if he had the athletic profile NFL teams covet.

That said, Hampton's athleticism and skill warrant a closer look from NFL teams. When he plays with discipline, his coverage skills are more than adequate to be part of an NFL rotation. Although he occasionally made himself susceptible to pump fakes by jumping routes, Hampton has routinely shown that he can line up across from top-flight receivers and win his fair share of the battles. He makes up for his lack of the size/speed combo possessed by more prototypical corners such as his predecessor Stephon Gilmore with his strikingly fluid hips and excellent agility. While again not as big as a player like Gilmore, Hampton is also well built and powerful enough to hold his own at the line of scrimmage.

In addition to size, Hampton's main flaw as a player is tackling fundamentals. Hampton is more than capable of earning a spot on the nightly highlight reel by laying a big hit, like the one he planted on Wisconsin QB Joel Stave in the Capital One Bowl. But too often, Hampton has shown poor fundamentals in more routine situations, allowing ball carriers to churn out extra yardage. Hampton is physically capable of being an adept tackler in the NFL, so with some coaching, he could take this aspect of his game to the next level.

Are off-field concerns an issue with Hampton? Sure. Hampton had made major strides in repairing his reputation over the past two years, but the recent NYC incident and a local altercation with his sister in which police became involved have cost him some of the trust he had worked hard to build. However, it it clear that he's been on an overall upward trajectory over the past couple of years, as demonstrated by the repeated votes of confidence the ever-candid Steve Spurrier has given Hampton over the past year. Hampton has worked long and hard to repair his reputation and deserves credit for doing so. With the right franchise, he could find a good environment in which to continue on that path. Let's hope he gets that chance. His talent warrants it.

Love this signing. Very little risk (bad press, but whatever). Potentially a high reward as he has some starter potential. 

I think this is one of the rare situations where the Burfict comparison is somewhat valid. Just because he plays angry and can be really good at times. Can be a tone setter with his physicality and confidence. 

Really hope he works out. He and Isaiah Lewis should both really up the level of competition at Safety. No free rides for guys like Iloka and Williams as these guys should really push them for their jobs. Whoever ends up winning spots on the 53 man roster, the competition makes the Bengals better.

I'm not hating at all, it's just most NFL receivers now days are like 6'3 plus. I hope he turns into another Burfict. I'm all for it. 

Yeah, he's definitely not tall. But he's about the same height as Dennard, Pacman, Hall, etc. There are very few CBs over 6'1. Most are between 5'9 and 6'. He's listed at either 5'9 or 5'10, so he's right in the normal range. 

Jason Verrett was a CB who many wanted us to draft in the 1st and he's 5'9 177 pounds. Hampton is the same height with 20 extra pounds. 

Negatives: 

* Don't get too attached to him because he probably won't last long.

Positives: 

* Probably knows his way out of a lockerroom when he gets shit-canned (he's had plenty of practice)

* Plenty of past offenders in the clubhouse to set a good example and jerk a knot in is ass if need be.

* Coaching staff has an extensive knucklehead CV as well.

* Does seem to have some football ability if he can keep his head out of his ass long enough to show it

* If he doesn't make the 53-man out of camp, probably a pretty good bet that there won't be many waiver claims to keep him off the Bengals' PS.

I think any man that is in the 5'9 range is pretty small... it amazes me when NFL players are that size, and on top of that be very productive (not this dude yet obviously).

200lbs is pretty stout for a 5'9 guy though.

He's a perfect guy to hide on the PS for a year or two. Build him up and he can replace Newman's roster spot in a year or two when Dennard/Kirkpatrick move up.

He might end up being a Safety. Not 100% sure though.

My guess is that he would fit in here in a role similar to what Chris Crocker played. Which was basically a nickel Safety that could cover slot WRs. He seems like a hybrid type guy who can cover but also really lay the wood on running plays and screen pass type plays.

He's probably a little too short to be an every down Safety (though bigger than Bob Sanders, so not impossible), but could be a useful situational guy. 

If that's his role, maybe he's PS for a year and then an eventual Danieal Manning replacement?

He might end up being a Safety. Not 100% sure though.

My guess is that he would fit in here in a role similar to what Chris Crocker played. Which was basically a nickel Safety that could cover slot WRs. He seems like a hybrid type guy who can cover but also really lay the wood on running plays and screen pass type plays.

He's probably a little too short to be an every down Safety (though bigger than Bob Sanders, so not impossible), but could be a useful situational guy. 

If that's his role, maybe he's PS for a year and then an eventual Danieal Manning replacement?

sounds good to me. i remember seeing him play in college. he stood out as at least a guy with nfl potential. i cant complain about adding that to the team in june. can never have enough youth with potential, especially in the secondary.

sounds good to me. i remember seeing him play in college. he stood out as at least a guy with nfl potential. i cant complain about adding that to the team in june. can never have enough youth with potential, especially in the secondary.

No doubt. There are only 3 UDFA who I am intrigued with this year. Nikita Whitlock at FB. And then Hampton and Isaiah Lewis at DB.

I think Hampton and Lewis guys add toughness, attitude, hitting ability, athleticism and also a little dose of youth to the secondary. I've actually been one who thinks people are writing off Hall, Jones and Nelson a little too early. But even I have to admit that most of the secondary talent is getting older. We need to start to get the next generation in place. These 2 UDFAs could be a piece of that puzzle.

No doubt. There are only 3 UDFA who I am intrigued with this year. Nikita Whitlock at FB. And then Hampton and Isaiah Lewis at DB.

I think Hampton and Lewis guys add toughness, attitude, hitting ability, athleticism and also a little dose of youth to the secondary. I've actually been one who thinks people are writing off Hall, Jones and Nelson a little too early. But even I have to admit that most of the secondary talent is getting older. We need to start to get the next generation in place. These 2 UDFAs could be a piece of that puzzle.

I love the future of Dennard, Kirkpatrick and Shawn Williams. I'm also excited about Lewis and think he has a future here too. I'm not that big on Iloka though.

I love the future of Dennard, Kirkpatrick and Shawn Williams. I'm also excited about Lewis and think he has a future here too. I'm not that big on Iloka though.

Don't know why some people here give Iloka a bad rap. Thrust into the starting SS position from nowhere in only his second year. I thought he held up incredibly well. He turned the biggest weak spot on the defense into a position of stability. Also, 6-4 safeties with his athletic ability are hard to find.

You're not that high on the one guy you mentioned who has had substantial playing time and has played well?

Archived