Bengal Busts: Where Are They Now

Where's Corey Sawyer?

I remember being at the 1995 Browns game at Riverfront when he muffed a punt during a furious Bengals rally mounted by David Klingler. I think Blake was hurt or benched. I was pretty hammered and leaning into the urinal telling "that's what you get with these Florida State guys".

*** Don't shoot the messenger... I just copy and pasted part of the list.

If this works... some real head cases including one who tried to run down a bunch of kids with his car (Lawrence Phillips) and another who threatened to kill his mother over $100,000 (Charles Rogers).

Link:

www.lostlettermen.com/slideshow/4-16-2012-top-50-nfl-draft-busts-where-are-they-now/?utm_source=zergnet.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=zergnet_132792

42. Akili Smith, Oregon, QB (No. 3 overall, 1995): Started just 17 games over four seasons with the Bengals and threw 13 picks to just five touchdowns during that time. Smith is coaching quarterbacks at St. Augustine H.S. in San Diego, where he’s working toward his degree at a community college before finishing it off at Oregon.

41. Reggie Rembert, West Virginia, WR (No. 28 overall, 1990): Never signed with the team who drafted him (New York Jets) and went to Cincinnati for a mediocre three seasons. He resides in Indianapolis and his son of the same name is a rising redshirt senior wideout at WVU.

26. Jack Thompson, Washington State, QB (No. 3 overall, 1979): The “Throwin’ Samoan” could never unseat Ken Anderson, the starter at Cincinnati. Residing in Torrance, CA, he recently helped Washington State and World Vision to help raise money for the tsunami in American Samoa.

17. David Klingler, Houston, QB (No. 6 overall, 1992): Went 4-20 as a starter with 20 interceptions to 15 touchdowns. Klingler has a master’s in theology and is the director of Dallas Theological Seminary’s Houston branch, as of 2011.

16. Peter Warrick, Florida State, WR (No. 4 overall, 2000): Had five mediocre years in the NFL then bounced around other pro leagues, where he was on a roster in the Ultimate Indoor Football League as recently as 2011. Warrick was hired as an assistant at his old high school in Bradenton, FL, last year.

** David Verser was a Cincinnati Police Officer... not sure if he still is.

Reggie Rembert?    does it count as a bust if the Bengals didn't draft him?   he was drafted by the Jets

Copeland had a couple good years. I keep telling people about that Bengals d-line from (I think) 1994 that had Big Daddy, Copeland and Alfred Williams. They had worthy sack totals as a unit. They didn't suck. The rest of the team did though!

Copeland and Williams were good players,  not a 100% sure but I think Alfred Williams led the NFL in sacks one year

Think he was a Bronco at the time though lol

Odell Thurman's  name should be on the list because he was a player with allot of upside but after, the one good season he had.He was suspended from league, and was never allowed back into the NFL.He did play for the UFL for 2 years before the league went bankrupt.

Odell Thurman's  name should be on the list because he was a player with allot of upside but after, the one good season he had.He was suspended from league, and was never allowed back into the NFL.He did play for the UFL for 2 years before the league went bankrupt.

And add Pollack, and that CB who got in the car accident, and Chris Henry....That DT and that OL (Keift)...

And Chris Perry, Tab Perry, and Irons....

And add Pollack, and that CB who got in the car accident, and Chris Henry....That DT and that OL (Keift)...

And Chris Perry, Tab Perry, and Irons....

I think the article was going with high draft choices league-wide but SF2's addition of Ki-Jana Carter should be there although he was used as a short yardage battering ram early in Corey Dillon's career when he was apparently not trusted for the tough yards... 12th most in Bengal history rushing TD's. with 16 ... more than BJGE's 13, only recently bumped down a notch by Cedric Benson.

Archie Griffin only had 7 (plus 6 more receiving) and a career total of 2808 career rushing yards (688 tops for one season).

A case could be made for Pete Koch or Brian Blados as two first round busts (one a disappointing underachiever) both taken the same year.

If you are dropping that low into the Bengal draft busts, the king of them who was not injured was the trivia question answer to the question "Who was the highest Bengal draft choice to be cut the earliest" and the enigmatic Kirby Criswell, a second round draft pick cut in training camp for being a druggie... dropping acid before practice.

Copeland and Williams were good players,  not a 100% sure but I think Alfred Williams led the NFL in sacks one year

Think he was a Bronco at the time though lol

Alfred Williams was an overlooked quality player for the Bengals.   First chance he went back to Colorado to play for Denver and I believe had a couple pro bowl seasons and won a Superbowl with their loaded teams of late 90s.

Copeland was a quality player.   Had some injury issues.        They had talent along that D-line but the players didn't give a fuck because they knew management was saddling them with non-NFL quality at other spots.

They probably had 4th/5th type DBs filling in 1st/2nd roles.  

D-line with Copeland, Williams, Wilkenson, Rucker, and Tim Johnson was stout during those mid 90 years.   I think the D had registered 40+ sacks once with crappy DBs.

2008 was a flux draft for the franchise.    Wasn't really great in the spots they needed it to be or the top prospectes were pulled right before they picked.   I recall them catching alot of flack for not trading up.

Rivers still in the league but blah.   All the fan favorites taken right before him and the better LB taken right after him.

Then Simpson in the second.

However, still got Sims, Collins, and Caldwell.       I think first 5 picks are still in the league going into year 7.  

I think the article was going with high draft choices league-wide but SF2's addition of Ki-Jana Carter should be there although he was used as a short yardage battering ram early in Corey Dillon's career when he was apparently not trusted for the tough yards... 12th most in Bengal history rushing TD's. with 16 ... more than BJGE's 13, only recently bumped down a notch by Cedric Benson.
Archie Griffin only had 7 (plus 6 more receiving) and a career total of 2808 career rushing yards (688 tops for one season).

A case could be made for Pete Koch or Brian Blados as two first round busts (one a disappointing underachiever) both taken the same year.

If you are dropping that low into the Bengal draft busts, the king of them who was not injured was the trivia question answer to the question "Who was the highest Bengal draft choice to be cut the earliest" and the enigmatic Kirby Criswell, a second round draft pick cut in training camp for being a druggie... dropping acid before practice.

Haven't looked this up but I'm pretty sure 90% of Carter's touchdowns were two-yard sprints to the pylon.

Haven't looked this up but I'm pretty sure 90% of Carter's touchdowns were two-yard sprints to the pylon.

Not sure about the percentage but in 1996 he had several TDs that were the result of Garrison Hearst drives and then he was inserted on goal line to sprint to the corner for the TD. 

He did have an 80 yarder once and a 30 yarder too.    

http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/bengals

More than a few names on there I could list. Unfortunately, as much as I hate bagging on one of my own, one of the first things I thought about when I saw the title of this one was that I bet that if the front office had it to do all over again, they wouldn't have spent #5 on Rickey Dixon.

There are guys on this list that do not belong. They may not have lived up to their draft status but they had productive careers. Tops on that list is a guy like PW and Copeland. After all, even first round success is only about 50/50.

Is Freddie Childress on that list?

There are guys on this list that do not belong. They may not have lived up to their draft status but they had productive careers. Tops on that list is a guy like PW and Copeland. After all, even first round success is only about 50/50.

Is Freddie Childress on that list?

Second round pick.

the list, like everything, is subjective and focused on rather high first rounders.

Approx 250 guys get drafted each year.     Another 300 are signed as Free Agents (?).     This is every year.

0 new jobs are created.    

I know many of times,  the Bengals bring in former 2nd, 1st, 3rd round picks and there was bitching about the "2nd tier" or cheap FA strategy.    4 seasons ago those guys were the solution to many teams.

Turnover is part of the game.   To use the term "bust" I think you'd have to measure it against reasonable expectation.    

Archived