Any Interest in a Go-Bengals Fantasy Keeper League?

(Thread is being opened in the Bengals Forum for visibility, but will move to the Fantasy Forum at the end of the week)

I am looking to gauge interest in an 8-man Go-Bengals.com fantasy keeper league.  We would redraft for the 2014 season with the intent of having Week 8 being our first week.  2014 would have an abbreviated 7-week season (everybody plays everybode else once) and a 2-week post-season.  2015 would be a full 14-week season.

Roster: QB, RB, RB, WR, WR, TE, Flex (R/W/T), PK plus 8 bench slots = 16  (No defenses... too much randomness for a keeper league)
Two IR spots per team

Standard Scoring

Keep up to 8 players

First year draft is snake (1-8, 8-1) - random order
Subsequent drafts are straight (1-8, 1-8) - order based on playoff results:
- Champion drafts last
- Runner-up drafts 7th
- All consolation games award HIGHER picks to winner:
-- Winner of 3rd/4th place game drafts 5th, loser drafts 6th
-- For the teams that don't make the playoffs, they play for picks 1-4.
-- Consolation bracket champion gets 1st pick, runner-up gets 2nd, etc.

If there is sufficient interest, I would set up the league this weekend and we would look to pick an evening NEXT week (or weekend) to conduct the draft.  First game would be Thursday 10/23 (Week 8 TNF).

I have participated in keeper leagues that folded after the first year... please, if you're interested in joining, understand that it only works if most/all of the owners are committed to playing this year AND next (and the year after that, and....)

Thanks!
-ABF

I would most likely have interest.  I play in two already.  If your are okay with it, i would like to suggest something that we do in our leagues that has made it much better, in terms of keepers, over the past 10 years. Also, what would the buy in be?  Thanks.

I might be up for it. Any thought about making it PPR? I've seemed to enjoy those more over the years with it balancing out the league more and making some decisions more challenging. Obviously up to the group though.

Also, have not done any keeper leagues in the past. Any reason why going with 8 teams vs. 10?

Personally, I find 12-14 to be a little overcrowded and sucking down of the talent pool and 8 at times could have a little too much out there, just curious of other players' experiences. 

For 8 teams vs 10, it's simple math.

There are 16 weeks of play available for fantasy football

5 weeks have been played.  Week 6 begins in 24 hours so that week is gone, too.  2 weeks for playoffs.

16 - 6 - 2 = 8, assuming everything can be set up and drafted in 7 days.

A ten-team league requires 9 weeks for a single round-robin.

An eight-team league requires 7 weeks.  Gives us 14 days to set up and draft.

I'm trying to get this started mid-season.  Can't do it with 10 teams.... have to wait until next off-season to make it happen if there are 10.  Can do it now with 8.

The leagues i have played in for the past 15 years plus have used the following structure:  3 keepers per team, only those players drafted after the 7th round can be kept the following year subtracting three rounds from the previous year.  For example: way back when, i plucked Chad Johnson off of the waiver wire, our draft is 24 rounds(we have idp's too0, so the following year, i had to subtract 3 rounds, so i was able to keep him in the 21st round the following year, 18th round the year after that, 15th, 12th, 9th, 6th.  Once the player is kept before the seventh round, he will enter back into the player pool.  So, for example, in his rookie year, i draft A.J. Green in the 8th round. as a result,  he was only eligible to be kept for one year, in the 5th round the following year, then he was kicked back into the player pool.  As i mentioned earlier, we keep three players this way.  We tried everything for the first 5-6 years, nothing felt like it made any sense or worked.  We have used this format for almost the past 10 years, and its been damn near perfect.  It allows for most of the established studs to be available for drafting each year, while also making the late rounds of the draft and scouring the free agency/waiver wire, very very important. 

The leagues i have played in for the past 15 years plus have used the following structure:  3 keepers per team, only those players drafted after the 7th round can be kept the following year subtracting three rounds from the previous year.  For example: way back when, i plucked Chad Johnson off of the waiver wire, our draft is 24 rounds(we have idp's too0, so the following year, i had to subtract 3 rounds, so i was able to keep him in the 21st round the following year, 18th round the year after that, 15th, 12th, 9th, 6th.  Once the player is kept before the seventh round, he will enter back into the player pool.  So, for example, in his rookie year, i draft A.J. Green in the 8th round. as a result,  he was only eligible to be kept for one year, in the 5th round the following year, then he was kicked back into the player pool.  As i mentioned earlier, we keep three players this way.  We tried everything for the first 5-6 years, nothing felt like it made any sense or worked.  We have used this format for almost the past 10 years, and its been damn near perfect.  It allows for most of the established studs to be available for drafting each year, while also making the late rounds of the draft and scouring the free agency/waiver wire, very very important. 

The league I was in that had the most promise (but which also folded due to nobody returning) had a similar descending-round structure but had a few other kinks that I thought were great:

- When a player is initially drafted, his round establishes his "baseline value".

- To keep a player, his baseline value accelerates by one round each year, and you have to forfeit a pick in that round or earlier to keep him.

- Players from the first round accelerate the next year to have a BV of zero, which costs you two picks - your first pick and a pick no later than round 9.

- Players retain their BV if traded or dropped/picked-up

- Undrafted Free Agents are assigned a BV of 9 if picked-up.

- At a point around week 9 or 10, owners have to place "contracts" on the players they're interested in keeping.  They have a total of 10 "years" of contracts, which can be split in any fashion between players as long as the total does not exceed 10.  They could put all 10 years on one player, or have 10 players with 1 year contracts, or 1+2+3+4 or any other combo that adds to 10.

- Contracts cannot be lengthened or shortened at any time, though owners CAN terminate a contract at will.

- When a player's contract is up (or terminated) he becomes a free agent and can be drafted by anybody the following year.

- Contract years that are used to keep players, or that are freed up when a contract is terminated, are available to use during the following season's contract period.

There were also provisions for a rookie contract, which could be placed on any one true first-year player on your roster.  It would allow you to retain him into the following year without counting against your 10 contract years.

It very much gave the impression that you were the GM of your team in addition to the owner/coach.  I wish that league had lasted.

Okay, let's do this:

There are 9 bubbas who have expressed interest, so I'll take that as POSITIVE interest and will set it up.  I'll make it a TEN team league... if a 10th person comes along we'll go with it.  If not, we'll do an 8-team dealio. 

Scoring: Standard Scoring + PPR

Lineup: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 Flex (R/W/T), 1 PK    (note, no Defenses)

Roster: 16 players (8 starters, 8 bench) + 2 IR

2014 Season will be abbreviated.  7 Weeks long (NFL Weeks 8 thru 14) plus 2 week playoff.

FOR AN 8-TEAM LEAGUE:

- Season will be a simple round-robin

FOR A 10-TEAM LEAGUE

- Season will be a partial round-robin.  You will play 7 of the other 9 teams, missing out on two of them completely.

NOTE: I don't want to do this, but if there's a majority who do I will set up the season to include two "double-header" games so that each team will play all 9 opponents.  To keep it fair those double-header weeks must happen when there are no NFL teams on bye, which for us would be weeks 13&14.  Please chime-in if you REALLY want this.I prefer Option A, but if there's a majority who want B we'll do that instead.

Draft order for 2014 will be randomized and the draft will be snaked (1-10, 10-1, 1-10, etc)

Draft order for 2015 will be straight (1-10, 1-10, etc) and will be determined by the results of the playoffs:

- League champion will select last.  Runner-up will select next-to-last

- For all other draft picks, EARLIER picks will be awarded to the WINNER of their respective consolation games.

FOR AN 8-TEAM LEAGUE:

- Champion picks 8th.  Runner-up picks 7th

- Winner of 3rd place game picks 5th, Loser picks 6th.

- The 4 non-playoff teams will compete for picks 1-4 in a two-week bracket tournament.  First round is 5 vs 8 / 6 vs 7.

- Tournament winner gets 1st pick, runner-up gets 2nd.  Winner of conolation game gets 3rd, loser gets 4th

FOR A 10-TEAM LEAGUE:

- Champion picks 10th.  Runner-up picks 9th

- Winner of 3rd place game picks 7th.  Loser picks 8th.

- The 6 non-playoff teams will compete for picks 1-6 in a two-week "ladder" tournament:

-- Week One: Game A is 9th vs 10th (top rung)

-- Week One: Game B is 7th vs 8th (middle rung)

-- Week One: Game C is 5th vs 6th (bottom rung)

-- Winners move up a rung, losers move down a rung.

-- Week Two: Game A winner vs Game B winner for 1st/2nd pick (top rung)

-- Week Two: Game A loser vs Game C winner for 3rd/4th pick (middle rung)

-- Week Two: Game B loser vs Game C loser for 5th/6th pick (bottom rung)

KEEPERS:

We'll do a hybrid of the systems proposed above.  Since the 2015 (and onward) drafts are straight drafts, it seems important that owners be allowed to keep some studs rather than throw all players drafted before a certain spot back in the pool.  So how does this sound:

- You may keep up to 5 players.

- When drafted each player's selection round determines his keeper cost.

- A kept player will cost you a draft pick TWO ROUNDS earlier than his prevous keeper cost.

- This process repeats annually, so players' costs will increase by 2 rounds every year.

- All Undrafted Free Agents are presumed to have been drafted in the 9th round.

There will be special rules for players from a first or second round pick.  For them, you must give up TWO picks:

- For a "1", you forfeit your first round pick and a pick no later than the fourth round (= 1+4).

- For a "2", you forfeit your second round pick and a pick no later than the fourth , OR your first round pick and a pick no later than the fifth (= 2+4 or 1+5).

For all of the above, you may always use an EARLIER pick to pay for a keeper, but never a LATER pick.  If you do not have the available picks to keep a player then you cannot keep him.

If you have to use two picks to keep one player, we will add additional round(s) to the draft to allow you to complete your roster.

I will get this setup online over the weekend and will post sign-up instructions.

The owner are:

1. AmishBengalFan
2. MichaelWeston
3. Randle P McMurphy
4. SouthPaw
5. Dan_Bengals_FL
6. Big Alice
7. ValleyBengal
8. happyrid
9. Who Dey Forever

These 9 have "reserved" spots in the league.  Once I get it set up, if they want in, they're in. 

This will be either an 8- or a 10-team league, based on the number of confirmations.  When you sign up, for right now, please use your Go-Bengals.com screenname as your team name.  It will help me keep straight who is in and who is out in case we have to bump someone.  Team names can be changed later.

First game will be Thursday Night Week 8.  The draft will likely happen NEXT weekend.  No matter what time we pick, I guarantee that someone will be unable to attend, so PLEASE be okay with an autodraft.

Okay... no double-headers.  Phew.

ESPN does not allow new league signups at this point, and neither Yahoo nor NFL.com have live-draft options available at this point.  So we're kinda forced into doing this as a 100% auto-draft league.  I'm not keen on that, and I know first-hand how rosters coming out of this type of draft can be so terribly unbalanced.  So I'm going to make the following one-time adjustments to our rules:

#1 - Yes, this will be an autodraft league for 2014.  Can't be helped.

#2 - All owners will be restricted to TWO keepers from their roster to carry over from 2014 to 2015.

#3 - Next year's draft will begin in Round 3.  If you opt to keep fewer than 2 players, we'll add round(s) at the end for you... may as well keep 'em.

As far the "keeper cost" for these two players in concerned, we'll use this year's ADP (to estimate where they would've been drafted in August '14) and subtract 2 rounds (20 picks) to come up with their 2015 keeper cost.  That way, if you decide to keep them again in 2016 we'll have a fair value established for them.  Once we get the league off the ground I'll publish the ADP list so owners can begin looking at their players to determine who they may want to keep.

Here are the league settings:

PASSING: TD=4, 25 yards=1, INT=-1

RUSHING: TD=6, 10 yards=1

RECEIVING: TD=6, 10 yards=1, Reception=1

RETURNS: PRTD=6, KRTD=6

OTHER: 2PTConversion=2, FumbleLost=-2

KICKER: XP=1, FG(0-39yds)=3, FG(40-49yds)=4, FG(50+yds)=5

Fractional and Negative points = YES

Roster = QB, WR, WR, RB, RB, TE, W/R/T, K, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN, IR, IR

(That's 1QB 2RB 2WR 1TE 1FLX 1PK + 8 Bench + 2 IR)

League Link: https://yho.com/nfl?l=1527178&k=282e20c2bb1e4b14

League Name = WhoDey Dynasty

If you are asked for a "join this league" password, use "carsonwho"

Please use your Go-Bengals screen name as your team name for now.  I'll set the autodraft for a week from today (10/18, Saturday) to give everyone plenty of time to juggle their rosters via the waiver wire.  Our first game is Week 8 Thursday (10/23).

Also, please post a note to this thread once you've joined.  Anyone may join, but we have a 10-team cap and there are 9 reserved spots (see list above).  So we have a guaranteed spot for one new owner.  After that gets claimed, other new owners are welcome to sign up but may be bumped if the reserved spots all get claimed.  That's why its important to post here when you sign-up... it will determine what your priority is in the event that someone needs to be bumped.

Archived