Concussion protocol - What's next?

First of, let me say that I think the concussion protocol is a good thing, and protecting the head of a player is the most important health issue the NFL needs to stay on top of. However, I feel the current way the concussion protocol is enforced, is BS. What will prevent teams from head hunting the best players on the other team. Meaning, if someone goes for the head of the other player, forces that player out under the concussion protocol, but the guilty player can go on and play. Mitchell did not have to come out, while Eiffert did. I think the NFL can turn this around pretty quickly by enforcing the player causing the consussion or going for the head, or even purposely launching themselves with the danger of causing concussions, should be ejected immediately. I like the college targeting rule, make it a reviewable penalty, and all this BS will be done with. If there is a threat of immediate ejection, I think you will see many less hits to the head.

I made the comment after Eifert went out Sunday that a 15-yard penalty is not strong enough.  You get the same penalty for brushing your hand across a face mask or doing a cute dance.  Players who lead with the head or commit other headhunting (or knee hunting) type penalties should be ejected from the game, to go along with the 15-yard penalty.  Make it a reviewable play, just to be more certain.

As it is, a 15-yard penalty in exchange for taking a top player out of the game is a great trade-off for the offending team.  That needs to change.

The college targeting rule is a good model, IMO.   Make it reviewable.      The problem with ejecting a player if a concussion occurs is that Eifert played in several plays with contact afterward.    IMO, it would get messy to try to go back a few plays.

I like the instant review of any targeting and automatic ejection if guilty no matter if an injury occurs or not.   Just keep in mind that's going to work against you in some cases as well.

On higher level.   No one talks about it but performance enhancing drugs and training techniques have out spent the safety aspect.    Need real HGH and PED testing.   Need to bring back contact practices to perfect good tackling practices.

If the NFL enacted tougher PED testing and punishment.   You would see a decrease in size of players overall  just like baseball has seen a decrease in the number of homeruns hit.    I would bet that you would see a lot less injuries overall. 

I made the comment after Eifert went out Sunday that a 15-yard penalty is not strong enough.  

Every time I see the photo I want to puke for how blatantly premeditated it is.  That assface had no other thought than aiming for the head and knock him out of the game.  Still find it hard to believe no fine has been brought down for that hit.  But God forbid someone wear unsanctioned cleats or names on their eye black.  #SafetyFirst

Every time I see the photo I want to puke for how blatantly premeditated it is.  That assface had no other thought than aiming for the head and knock him out of the game.  Still find it hard to believe no fine has been brought down for that hit.  But God forbid someone wear unsanctioned cleats or names on their eye black.  #SafetyFirst

Really? Not even a pissant $10k fine? 

If the league's not going to act that leaves 2 options:

1. Start taking out a Stooler goon for every one of ours they headhunt until they get the message. First many salty crocodile tears will be shed & as we've seen, in the eyes of the ESPNFL Burfict is the out-of-control thug for confronting the asshole who made a death threat against him.  That death threat may as well have never happened.  Bengals are the dirty team blahblah bullshit etc. Sports media is universally fucking awful so I can live with it.

2. Take it like a bitch.

Mitchell was fined earlier in the year for targeting Gates.    The play wasn't flagged.   It would be odd for this to somehow escape notice considering the play was flagged and a player is in concussion protocol.

He's also been a regular on the NFL fine list with the Panthers.  So it's not like he's unknown to them.    He even at one point suggested Goodell was pocketing his fine money.

Third Option (of which I grow towards increasingly):

Stop spending money or viewing their damn "product". I don't frequent the NBA or Pro Wrestling, may as well make it the NFL too.

Hey, that's not fair. At least with Pro Wrestling they don't try to bullshit you about what's going on. It's far more respectable than the NFL. Otherwise though, I'm starting to feel the same way.  Who wants to watch a bloodsport version of the Washington Generals?

Archived