Burfict Suspended five games

6 minutes ago, schotzee said:

Because the ref said he didn't line him up silly! Don't you pay attention? Lol

I suppose Mike Mitchell has never been suspended because he also doesn't line up the integrity with the shield protecting and the old fashioned Steeler headhunting football. 

Learning a lot here, thanks!

2 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I suppose Mike Mitchell has never been suspended because he also doesn't line up the integrity with the shield protecting and the old fashioned Steeler headhunting football.  Learning a lot here, thanks!

Yea I think they said Mike Mitchell is legally blind , thus he can never be accused of lining up. Problem solved.

Don't know why you are bitching at me, the NFL said it was a legal hit and made a new rule called the Shazier rule to remedy it.   Helmet to helmet was only a rule in college and for unprotected NFL players at the time.  A running back with the ball running up field is NOT considered an unprotected player.  The new rule was implemented to FIX that loophole. 

And when you stoop to fixing grammar on a sports board, you have hit rock bottom T-Dub.  By the way, where are you and Vontaze spending your 3 week vacation while the rest of the team plays football?

2 minutes ago, SF2 said:

By the way, where are you and Vontaze spending your 3 week vacation while the rest of the team plays football?

We hadn't decided yet, do you want in or something? I don't think this is the place to explore your interracial fantasies but I'm glad you feel safe enough here to broach the subject.

1 minute ago, T-Dub said:

We hadn't decided yet, do you want in or something? I don't think this is the place to explore your interracial fantasies but I'm glad you feel safe enough here to broach the subject.

No thanks, PacMan and I are going to Florida to help Hurricane victims. 

20 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Your comment got the respectful reply it deserved.

I apologise and it's nice for people to disagree repectfully. We get hammered so much by everyone else on certain things, just get bothered when Bengal fans support the narrative as well. Sorry.

26 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I apologise and it's nice for people to disagree repectfully. We get hammered so much by everyone else on certain things, just get bothered when Bengal fans support the narrative as well. Sorry.

x1000.  

I don't know how a Bengals fan can watch the shit the Stealers get away with year after year and buy into this Burfict Public Enemy #1 stuff. 

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

x1000.  

I don't know how a Bengals fan can watch the shit the Stealers get away with year after year and buy into this Burfict Public Enemy #1 stuff. 

What Burfict does has nothing to do with what the Stealers do.  He owns his actions.  Yes, I think the Stealers get away with more, but that's because they are a "model franchise."  (They have a huge fan base, win and make more money for the league) 

Burfict has earned his reputation.  When the "dirtiest player in the league" survey of players comes out the next time who do you think will be on the top?  Players know. 

Just because someone doesn't see things your way doesn't mean they aren't a fan.  It's a dick move to suggest otherwise.  I'm not wild about Burfict because I think he will let us down, again.  He's a talented guy and I hope Lewis is right about him, but I have my doubts.

2 hours ago, schotzee said:

Well, FWIW, I was at the Freezer Bowl. I got sick halfway through, and I mostly remember my Dad getting PO'ed because I wanted a Coke every time the vendor walked by... And they were a whole dollar back then. I think I had a 102 fever when I got home.

With all respect, I don't think it's a "narrative". As I mentioned earlier, go look up Burfict and you start getting a career retrospective that is not flattering. And I agree that a suspension seems over the top, but he's a repeat offender. If he played for any other team, I'd want his head on a platter. Fans screamed for years about how Kimo dove at Palmer's knee... And I don't buy the excuse that the only way to beat the pigs is to wallow in the mud with them.

Hopefully Marvin is right, and he has changed his stripes. Hopefully this was the league overreacting... But maybe this was the suspension he deserved for trying to injure Cam Newton instead of the fine he got that time. Karma's a bitch. And I'd rather be talking about Football than arguing about Burfict's latest embarrassment. 

IMHO, it killed us last year getting off to a slow start without him on the field, and I'm pissed off that it's going to happen again this year. I don't care if he's the second coming of Ditka - it doesn't matter when he's not on the field. It's worse than not having him when he's a distraction and embarrassment. I care more about the Bengals than I will ever care about Burfict.

Frankly, I think it's even more damning that Mike Brown and Marvin Lewis don't think they can compete without having to take on unreliable guys like Jones and Burfict. Sure, no one WANTS to play for the Bengals... But how is that changed by having the cast of The Longest Yard playing for us? And I'm STILL pissed abut that Wild Card game. So, that's where I'm coming from. I've been a fan since the 70's, and I'd kinda like to wear some Bengals gear without having to explain why we keep drafting criminals and drug addicts. Because outside of Cincy, that's what people "know" about us. Heck, I at least got props for being a real die-hard fan when I was rooting for a 2-14 team.

8 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

I'd kinda like to wear some Bengals gear without having to explain why we keep drafting criminals and drug addicts.

That, too, is narrative.  Other teams have wife beaters, rapists, killers.. Denver led the league in arrests but they get a pass & the Bengals are criminals? 

I don't buy this "it doesn't matter what anyone else does"  stuff.  It absolutely matters if one person gets 30 years for jaywalking and everyone else gets a ticket.  It reveals the people enforcing the rules are corrupt.  God forbid anyone suggest the NFL is corrupt, though.  I'm sure all those degenerate high-stakes gamblers and mafioso got together to form a sports league with the most noble of intentions.  Might as well be arguing about what color fur the Easter Bunny has.

36 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

I don't buy this "it doesn't matter what anyone else does"  stuff.  It absolutely matters if one person gets 30 years for jaywalking and everyone else gets a ticket.  It reveals the people enforcing the rules are corrupt.  God forbid anyone suggest the NFL is corrupt, though.  I'm sure all those degenerate high-stakes gamblers and mafioso got together to form a sports league with the most noble of intentions.  Might as well be arguing about what color fur the Easter Bunny has.

Your example is poor.  What Burfict has done is way worse than jaywalking.  A more appropriate analogy would be if someone gets pinched for selling weed and bitches that the family down the street has been selling it for years and nothing happens.  Tough shit.  If you get caught breaking the law you pay the price.  I agree that some players seem to get away with this crap, like Mike Mitchell, but that doesn't exonerate Burfict. 

Honestly, who else in the NFL has twisted legs after the play in the last two decades?  That alone would piss me off no end as a player.  Unforgivable.

I wouldn't call the NFL corrupt.  It surely isn't fair, but what business is fair?  A company will put up with some crap from a very productive employee.  If the employee is substandard there is no way they are putting up with a bunch of garbage from them.  They will be disciplined and then shown the door.  Kind of the same with the Bengals.  They are a substandard franchise.  Small fan base.  Make less money for the league thus they get a short rope.  Again, it's about the profits.  Not fair, but I wouldn't call it corrupt.

13 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Your example is poor.  What Burfict has done is way worse than jaywalking. 

Oh FFS.  It doesn't matter if you think hitting an NFL receiver a fraction of a second late during a football game is "way worse than jaywalking."  The point is that the NFL's application of the rules is inconsistent. Unless you want to explain to me why Mike Mitchell has never been suspended? People actually do twist ankles in the pile, gouge eyes, all sorts of shit.  Constantly.  Don't assume that because ESPN shows you clips of Burfict doing something that it means nobody else does.  God help me if I'm ever facing a jury of some of you folks...

Then you come back with the "life isn't fair" stuff.  Well which is it? Is the NFL unfair but that's ok because reasons, or is Burfict literally Hitler? Gonna need you to pick one. 

Just now, T-Dub said:

Oh FFS.  It doesn't matter if you think hitting an NFL receiver a fraction of a second late during a football game is "way worse than jaywalking."  The point is that the NFL's application of the rules is inconsistent. Unless you want to explain to me why Mike Mitchell has never been suspended? People actually do twist ankles in the pile, gouge eyes, all sorts of shit.  

Carry on with your witch hunt.

I explained why I think players on big money teams like the Stealers get a pass.  I don't agree with it, but that's my opinion.

With all the cameras in the NFL you are telling me other players are twisting legs, etc. after the play and just not getting caught?  C'mon man.  Outside of Haynesworth's crap I can't think of anyone but Burfict who has done something like this.  Haynesworth has been fined and suspended like Burfict. 

6 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

I explained why I think players on big money teams like the Stealers get a pass.  I don't agree with it, but that's my opinion.

That's what I've been saying from the start!  I'm not sure what the argument is here.  If Burfict played for the Stoolers he'd get a pass, and that's BS. Simple enough. I still think Burfict's greatest crime as far as the NFL is concerned is daring to try to play the game by the same rules as the Stealers. 

With all the cameras in the NFL you are telling me other players are twisting legs, etc. after the play and just not getting caught? 

Not sure what you mean by "getting caught/"  On camera? I've yelled at the TV about it with our own RB's & receivers, particularly when they've had an ankle injury.  Teams like Shitsburgh are the worst about targeting injuries that way, but it happens quite a bit with other teams.  Pro sports are dirty.

Or did you mean "caught" as in flagged and punished for it?  Because "caught" in that case assumes a standard of officiating that I don't think exists, most likely by design.  Unless you honestly believe the "idiot refs" narrative.

That's what I've been saying from the start!  I'm not sure what the argument is here.  If Burfict played for the Stoolers he'd get a pass, and that's BS. Simple enough.

Not sure what you mean by "getting caught/"  On camera? I've yelled at the TV about it with our own RB's & receivers, particularly when they've had an ankle injury.  Teams like Shitsburgh are the worst about targeting injuries that way, but it happens quite a bit. 

Or did you mean "caught" as in flagged and punished for it?  Because "caught" in that case assumes a standard of officiating that I don't think exists, most likely by design.  Unless you honestly believe the "idiot refs" narrative.

I see a difference between corrupt and not fair.  Not fair is capitalism.  Corrupt would be an active attempt to damage a team like the Bengals.  I don't think the league actively tries to hurt the Bengals.  They just aren't willing to put up with crap from a team that doesn't make them that much money.

I also see a difference between players that target hits to injure, which happens a lot, and trying to injure a player in the pile after the play.  I don't think the latter happens much at all.  If the cameras catch gouging, leg twisting, etc. ESPN will see it and talk about it for days.  Burfict and Haynesworth are the only players that have attempted to injure after the play that I can remember and they are both treated as pariahs. 

1 minute ago, UncleEarl said:

I see a difference between corrupt and not fair. 

I'd call that prevaricating.  If the teams aren't playing by the same rules then what are we watching? It might as well be the Harlem Globetrotters or WWF.  At least they have the decency to admit it's fabricated.  Calling it "capitalism" isn't accurate at all.  There's a huge difference between a business having better lawyers vs having different laws.

If the cameras catch gouging, leg twisting, etc. ESPN will see it and talk about it for days.

You've never seen a foul go uncalled and get ignored? Ever?  You have much more faith in ESPN than I do...

You've never seen a foul go uncalled and get ignored? Ever?  You have much more faith in ESPN than I do...

Once again...I am being very specific....I am talking about twisting legs, gouging eyes, etc. after the play.  I am NOT talking about any foul.  After the play attempts to injure are very rare and no, I haven't seen any of them ignored.  My original point was that after the play fouls like leg twisting is unforgivable. 

3 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Once again...I am being very specific....I am talking about twisting legs, gouging eyes, etc. after the play.  I am NOT talking about any foul.  After the play attempts to injure are very rare and no, I haven't seen any of them ignored.  My original point was that after the play fouls like leg twisting is unforgivable. 

Disagree that it's rare at all.  

Even if it's unforgivable.. OK.  That's not what Burfict was suspended for.

That's a 5 game suspension to you?  It wasn't even flagged.

Just now, T-Dub said:

Disagree that it's rare at all.  

Even if it's unforgivable.. OK.  That's not what Burfict was suspended for.

That's a 5 game suspension to you?

Sigh...you keep changing the topic of discussion.  My point behind the leg twisting argument is that Burfict is a pariah.  He will not be given any leeway based upon his prior actions.  I guess I should have made this clear.  Assumed it would be understood.

No, I don't think that is a 5 game suspension, but I do think it is the kind of hit the NFL wants to get out of the game.  This is an unnecessary hit to a player that is out of the play.  It has the potential to injure.  The hit on Antonio Brown was as similar hit except Burfict caught his head.  (I don't think Burfict meant to catch his head, but to send a message just like he did in the recent hit)  I think 5 games was way too much, but considering Burfict's history....well....

Archived