Burfict Suspended five games

1 minute ago, Le Tigre said:

The NFLPA is a toothless, corrupt,organization--not far from being as corrupt as the NFL themselves. You give the way too much credit. They haven't had an influence since John Mackey.

Must admit they are toothless.  Worst CBA of the "big 4" sports.  They roll over time after time.  Gene Upshaw should be the picture on the dartboard of any ex-NFLer. 

Still, they have commented on past disciplinary actions as have individual players.  Crickets for Burfict.  They sure are fired up about Zeke Elliott though....

23 minutes ago, UncleEarl said:

Crickets for Burfict.  They sure are fired up about Zeke Elliott though....

If Zeke Elliot's girlfriend was a dues paying player... I mean, how should the NFLPA respond when you try to injure their members?

http://nypost.com/2017/09/02/nflpas-predator-protecting-priorities-are-out-of-whack/

And the NFLPA did back Burfict's appeal...

55 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

The player didn't complain.... The league did.

"He feels no plays are dirty" - Yeah, that's a problem. And screw that, most of his more egregious fouls have been after the play is dead. 

I mean, you'd be OK with a Steeler player kneeing Eifert in the shoulder? You'd be OK with them twisting Dalton and Green's ankles? You'd be OK with Shazier punching Bodine in the twig and berries to draw a ticky-tack foul? We're all rightly pissed at the hit he laid on Gio, but two wrongs make a right?

Beyond that - Fuck Burfict. The guy is costing us big games by being a moron. I don't care how good he is for 16 games when he does something stupid and ends our season. Second year in a row our defensive captain will be suspended to start the season. Maybe we can avoid the slow start this time.

And if the Bengals don't want to get "targeted", maybe they should stop defending Jones and Burfict while they draft Mixon? Just a thought...

I'm not reading your usual crap here. It's eye for an eye.

4 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

If Zeke Elliot's girlfriend was a dues paying player... I mean, how should the NFLPA respond when you try to injure their members?

http://nypost.com/2017/09/02/nflpas-predator-protecting-priorities-are-out-of-whack/

I stand corrected. 

6 minutes ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Are you even a Bengal fan? If so which I highly doubt, how long?

10 hours ago, LostInDaJungle said:

Speaking of Zeke. Since his 6 game suspension was upheld and never changed, why does he get to play on Sunday? Can Burdock play this week and start his suspension whenever? My point is that the suspension policy flaps in the breeze. It's a mess. 

26 minutes ago, Hooky said:

Speaking of Zeke. Since his 6 game suspension was upheld and never changed, why does he get to play on Sunday? Can Burdock play this week and start his suspension whenever? My point is that the suspension policy flaps in the breeze. It's a mess. 

Supposedly, yesterday's ruling had to be announced by a certain time or Elliot would be eligible for this weekend's game due to roster requirements.  Players are eligible pending the final appeal ruling.

1 hour ago, Le Tigre said:

Lol @ this NY Post hack. He uses idiotic descriptions of Vontaze like "predator" and "societal risk" in one part, then criticizes on-air baseball announcers for mistimed hyperbole in another. Hard-hitting journalism at its finest. 

With rare exception "Sports Journalist" is an oxymoron.  Outside of tabloid scandal bullshit or a broadcast version of the douchiest bros at your local sports bar yelling over one another, you get the same content from the various league-owned websites. Fluff the big market teams and ignore the rest unless they give you an opportunity to pontificate - congrats you're Sports Illustrated.  If you're forced to cover a small market team just lurk their forums for content.

:DudeComeOn-min:

Yeah, we see you.

1 hour ago, T-Dub said:

With rare exception "Sports Journalist" is an oxymoron.  Outside of tabloid scandal bullshit or a broadcast version of the douchiest bros at your local sports bar yelling over one another, you get the same content from the various league-owned websites. Fluff the big market teams and ignore the rest unless they give you an opportunity to pontificate - congrats you're Sports Illustrated.  If you're forced to cover a small market team just lurk their forums for content.

:DudeComeOn-min:

Yeah, we see you.

The New York Daily News just sold for $1.  What do you expect?

15 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

The NFLPA is a toothless, corrupt,organization--not far from being as corrupt as the NFL themselves. You give the way too much credit. They haven't had an influence since John Mackey.

The NFLPA has gotten a lot of what the players wanted.  Less practice.  Less contact at practice.  A cap "floor".

How many of you here would give up something YOU wanted in negotiations in exchange for protection for the fuck ups you work with?  The players did not care much about discipline because most of them figured they would never be subject to discipline.

25 minutes ago, fredtoast said:

The NFLPA has gotten a lot of what the players wanted.  Less practice.  Less contact at practice.  A cap "floor".

How many of you here would give up something YOU wanted in negotiations in exchange for protection for the fuck ups you work with?  The players did not care much about discipline because most of them figured they would never be subject to discipline.

And they're right, too, so long as that discipline is more about headlines and grandstanding than actually changing behavior.  If it was applied in an even & consistent manner they'd change their tune.  The NFL is happy to oblige by "making an example" of individual players & ignoring the rest.

edit: All this aside, it's telling that this thread has gone to 10 pages.  Deserved  5  3 games suspension or not, it's definitely a blow to the defense & team before the season's even started.

4 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

And they're right, too, so long as that discipline is more about headlines and grandstanding than actually changing behavior.  If it was applied in an even & consistent manner they'd change their tune.  The NFL is happy to oblige by "making an example" of individual players & ignoring the rest.

Can you give us examples of "ignoring the rest"?  Real examples not, "everyone knows.".  BTW, don't use Ryan Shazier's cheap ass hit on Gio as an example since it was perfectly legal at the time, that hit is why they changed the rule and called it the "Shazier Rule". 

I haven't seen much "ignoring the rest" at all lately. 

13 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

You continue to pretend that first or second  time offenders are supposed to get 5 games like Burfict did (lowered to 3).  Burfict has been fined 9 times by the league for ON THE FIELD conduct.  

BTW, did you even watch the video you posted?  Most of those hits were CLEAN legal hits even by 2017 standards.  Where is the video of guys not named Burfict or Suh twisting ankles, hitting guys in the nuts or hitting defenseless receivers who didn't have the ball who were NOT fined?  You said ignoring the rest, this video is full of mostly legal hits in 2014/15.    Your making a fool of yourself. 

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

Can you give us examples of "ignoring the rest"?  Real examples not, "everyone knows.".  BTW, don't use Ryan Shazier's cheap ass hit on Gio as an example since it was perfectly legal at the time, that hit is why they changed the rule and called it the "Shazier Rule". 

I haven't seen much "ignoring the rest" at all lately. 

I can't believe that hit was deemed legal. Our team needs to find "loopholes" in the rules at the time, to deliver the same cheap ass shots! That's what kills me about the Stealers. That bush league block they delivered on our punter to almost paralize him was about the icing on the cake.

6 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Lol @ this NY Post hack. He uses idiotic descriptions of Vontaze like "predator" and "societal risk" in one part, then criticizes on-air baseball announcers for mistimed hyperbole in another. Hard-hitting journalism at its finest. 

Actually, The Predator would be a pretty cool name for him.

59 minutes ago, schotzee said:

I can't believe that hit was deemed legal. Our team needs to find "loopholes" in the rules at the time, to deliver the same cheap ass shots! That's what kills me about the Stealers. That bush league block they delivered on our punter to almost paralize him was about the icing on the cake.

It was perfectly legal at the time.  Gio caught the ball, turned up field and was hit.  Same tackle has been made thousands of times in every level of football but that was before the CTE movie and guys like Junior Seau and Chris Henry were found to have it.  The NFL is in damage control and the game will become significantly less dangerous or else. 

22 minutes ago, SF2 said:

The NFL is in damage control and the game will become significantly less dangerous or else. 

OR else they can keep suspending Burfict and point to that as "due diligence".

2 hours ago, SF2 said:

Your making a fool of yourself. 

It's "you're" as in "you are" - "your" is possessive. 

I don't usually bother to correct stuff like that, but if you're going to call people fools elementary-level grammar is probably in order.

Anyway..  I'm done arguing whether Burfict is a vicious thug or not.  He'll probably go to some other team and we can all remark on how he's learned his lesson or some shit.  No more one personal foul seasons for the reformed player Doing Things the Right Way!

It was perfectly legal at the time

It was a helmet-to-helmet hit outside the tackle box.  How is that legal?

Archived