Crystal Lite Ross out "a few weeks"

I would have loved to have restarted the franchise with new coach and the chosen   Mahomes 2017. Not saying they would develop here but whoever scouted that draft really missed. This qb and running back hunt, which kc hit a home run in the draft. Draft is like lottery but we always seem to get a player who is injured price this year.

I just hope ross is able to stay healthy.

9 Cincinnati Bengals John Ross WR Washington Rumors swirled of Ross going this high, but I was skeptical. The Huskies speed demon is now a Bengal and will give Andy Dalton a significant threat down the field at the wide receiver position.
10 Kansas City Chiefs (from Bills) Patrick Mahomes II QB Texas Tech The Kansas City Chiefs land their QBOTF by sending a third-rounder this season and their 2018 first-rounder for Patrick Mahomes, who has drawn comparisons to former NFL great Brett Favre for his gunslinger mentality. The dink and dunk of Alex Smith may be nearing its death with this pick.

19 hours ago, BengalFanInTO said:

Tate is slow. Straight line speed and game speed. Kid's slower than dial-up. S-L-O-W. So slow he can't even play special teams. You can't have your #4 or #5 WR dressed and not be able to play teams. And you can jump all you like but if you run at the pace of a glacier, you're of no use in the NFL.

Hey, the kid seems to have good hands and made some pretty catches in training camp and against a bunch of scrubs who are now bagging groceries in the preseason but...that doesn't mean he's any good. Tate is also known as a horsecrap route runner and is super green (I think he only played something like 25 games in college). Maybe he can't figure out the playbook. Who knows. All 31 other teams have had at least 8 chances to have him on their roster and yet...he's still on the Bengals practice squad.

I'm all for giving him a shot. I just think he's another unknown guy that Bengals fans think is the answer. If he truly was ready and truly could help the team more than other players, do you really believe he wouldn't be in the lineup?

If he's that slow and can't play teams, then why did the Bengals keep him for final roster cutdowns? As far as him being "the unknown guy that Bengals fans think is the answer". meh, I get that...that's not really me. I don't think he's the answer to anything, but we can't do much worse with what we have left that's a healthy pass catcher than maybe see what we have with him by inserting him in a few situational plays.

7 hours ago, High School Harry said:

My thinking is have him waddle down the field three yards beyond the first down marker, turn around

and catch the ball.  And in the red zone where he doesn't have to waddle very far.

Also, T.J. Whosyourmama was a 7th round pick who they stuck with for a couple of injury plagued years

and see how that paid off.  I saw him as a talking greasy head on ESPN last week.

Exactly. And Housh was slow as hell too, but he fought for the ball and could catch...and was tough.

6 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

I'm not sure why all the worry about the 4th and 5th WR.  Dalton isn't going to throw to those guys anyway.  Dalton is going to lock in on Green and/or Boyd and that's it.  Is it because Core, Erikson, Malone, etc. aren't any good, or is it because Dalton won't or can't get down his progressions to throw to them?

Maybe, maybe not. But as I said before, Boyd and Green are now going to be continually double covered and we'll be challenged by defenses doing that to throw it underneath to Mixon or to someone else. But it will also take Dalton looking for those guys too, and not staring down AJ Green all the time like he did against the Chiefs. People kept wondering where Boyd was, why wasn't he getting the ball? Because the Chiefs double covered him almost the entire game, that's why...and opposing defenses will continue to do that.

40 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

Maybe, maybe not. But as I said before, Boyd and Green are now going to be continually double covered and we'll be challenged by defenses doing that to throw it underneath to Mixon or to someone else. But it will also take Dalton looking for those guys too, and not staring down AJ Green all the time like he did against the Chiefs. People kept wondering where Boyd was, why wasn't he getting the ball? Because the Chiefs double covered him almost the entire game, that's why...and opposing defenses will continue to do that.

Teams can't double cover two WRs all day.  That means they have to be in a nickle or dime formation all the time, or they are covering WR #3 or a TE with a LB. 

My point is that Dalton generally doesn't target the 3rd WR or beyond.  I don't know if it's scheme or just that he won't throw them the ball.  Dalton is a good QB, but he does have a habit of locking on to one guy and not moving through his progressions if he is covered.  Not having much time to throw probably has something to do with this too.  Until Dalton and the Bengals show me otherwise that's how they play.  Since that's how they play who is #4 or #5 is pretty much a non issue. 

2 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Teams can't double cover two WRs all day.  That means they have to be in a nickle or dime formation all the time, or they are covering WR #3 or a TE with a LB. 

That would be an invitation for most teams to run over the defense but that assumes an OC willing to call runs even if they get stuffed sometimes or when trailing by more than 3 points. 

On 10/23/2018 at 10:07 PM, Jpoore said:

We brought him back to early... Let's hope that he's back against saints. Only 1 game then a bye. The bye is coming at the best time bc vigil.will be back for siants as well. This is essentially his rookie year so he gets one more season for me before the bust label comes out.

Sorry but the "essentially his first year" has hit it's expiration date. This is his second year, please stop justifying his thievery. Even if you buy into the "this is essentially his rookie year" then guess what,...he is still a bust. After 7 games he has 7 catches for 79 yards.  Awesome return for the #9 pick!  Compared to the first 12 WRs picked in THIS YEAR'S (2018) draft, he only has more yards than one (the 60th pick) .  So the this is essentially his rookie year shit don't fly since he still sucks compared to this year's class. 

So since he will barely play this year are we going to pull the same nonsense next year?  Is he going to be essentially a rookie next year as well?  Screw this guy.  TRADE HIM.  Even when he plays he looks lost.  Try to get something to help with the cap hit and free up a roster spot.

Nobody in that locker room wants to be around a guy who has a $17 mil GUARANTEED contract(most already paid) and never plays because he keeps hurting HIMSELF.  That is one of the worst things in the world in a locker room, a guy that hangs around, does nothing, HAS NEVER DONE ANYTHING and gets paid WAY more than guys like Boyd, Mixon, Bates, Hubbard, Vigil, Kroft, Billings, Westerman, Uzomah, Fejedelem, etc.. 

In 23 games the Bengals have played since he was drafted he has 73 yards.  If you prorate* his pay per game verses his total yards or TDs  John Ross has been paid $77,860 per yard or $3.08 million per TD thus far for the 23 games the Bengals have played since he joined the club. 

BUST.  The #9 pick was spent on a shiny trinket.  The incompetence of this franchise knows no bounds. 

*Prorated pay is the number of games played divided by the total number of games his contract is in existence for.  Basically, he has been a member of the Bengals for 23 regular season games.  His contract is for 64 regular season games.  The cold hard  reality is John Ross is 34% of the way thru his contract and has 7 catches, NO kick or PR returns and doesn't play teams.  He is of almost no use and would be an utter disappointment as a late  second rounder.

3 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

My point is that Dalton generally doesn't target the 3rd WR or beyond.  I don't know if it's scheme or just that he won't throw them the ball.  Dalton is a good QB, but he does have a habit of locking on to one guy and not moving through his progressions if he is covered.  Not having much time to throw probably has something to do with this too.  Until Dalton and the Bengals show me otherwise that's how they play.  Since that's how they play who is #4 or #5 is pretty much a non issue. 

They can if they know your offense can't or won't run the ball once the team they're facing is down a couple scores, AND especially if your receiving options beyond your #2 WR are a collection of nobodies or that can't catch. 

3 minutes ago, Bunghole said:

They can if they know your offense can't or won't run the ball once the team they're facing is down a couple scores, AND especially if your receiving options beyond your #2 WR are a collection of nobodies or that can't catch. 

They only need to be down by more than 1 in the 3rd quarter to abandon the run.

1 hour ago, SF2 said:

They only need to be down by more than 1 in the 3rd quarter to abandon the run.

Kinda like every game we've been in ever where we've been down at some point in the game.

8 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

Every team misses on draft picks sometimes, what's screwing things up is their reluctance to admit they were wrong about some of these guys so they can move on to finding a replacement.

So have we settled the debate once and for all that Marvin doesn't generally like playing rookies, especially at WR, unless they're a high draft pick? I'm starting not to trust this team's player evaluation abilities anymore.

Ross being injured is not a new phenomenon.  He dealt with multiple injuries in college and he's been injured most of his pro career.  The lack of durability made him a huge risk in the draft and so far he's done nothing to change that reality.  I was skeptical when we took him and at this point he's trending towards bust status.   I see no reason to believe he will have an extended run of good health and his attitude thus far has been anything but reassuring.  I see a guy who is barely holding it together not a player destined for big things.

2 hours ago, Bunghole said:

Or that your QB will never target.

37 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Ross being injured is not a new phenomenon.  He dealt with multiple injuries in college and he's been injured most of his pro career.  The lack of durability made him a huge risk in the draft and so far he's done nothing to change that reality.  I was skeptical when we took him and at this point he's trending towards bust status.   I see no reason to believe he will have an extended run of good health and his attitude thus far has been anything but reassuring.  I see a guy who is barely holding it together not a player destined for big things.

This is not a glowing assessment, but as you said, it's trending towards reality. The guy simply cannot stay healthy. I'm also an idiot. I never decried this selection other than being something of a luxury pick, and I had heard he had been hurt in college, but I toed the company line in terms of believing that Marvin & Co. had done their homework and were confident in this pick. I believed them like I was a Republican in 2003 believing Colin Powell telling the UN and me about Iraq's mobile chemical production labs. I was fed the company line, and I took it hook, line and sinker. 

And now couple that with the Ogbuehi and Fisher picks (amongst others) and now I feel like their prior drafting record was some kind of a fluke. How could they have missed this badly on so many high picks?

I need to see my pyschiatrist and ask him.

10 hours ago, UncleEarl said:

Might be worth giving it a try to see what happens. 

That is true. I admit to being a little facetious. We put Cody Core in against the Stealers, IIRC he got wide open on his one target and dropped a perfect pass that would have been a big first down. 

Like you say, you can't get too judgemental over one dropped pass, they need to go to that well a few more times before you can make a good assessment of what you actually have.

Archived