Bengals signing QB Reid Sinnett

It's been announced the Bengals are signing QB Reid Sinnett, to help with backup duties while Burrow is out. 

Bengals fans may remember Sinnett from the 2021 Preseason 2 years ago, when he led the Dolphins to a last minute victory over the Bengals and threw for 343 yards.

So the Bengals coaches themselves saw him firsthand and I remember there were rumors back then that they tried to acquire him to be Burrow's backup, but the Dolphins held onto him following the preseason. 

So who is Reid Sinnett? Interestingly ... on the bio front, he is a clone of Burrow, at the same age, height, similar weight, and also born in Iowa.

Reid_Sinnett.jpg

Reid Sinnett

Height: 6'4 

Weight: 225 lbs 

Born: Jonhston, Iowa 

When the Bengals played him back in the 2021 preseason, he threw a last minute TD pass on 4th and 15, that also eerily looks like a play that Joe Burrow would make, he even did the Shiesty-like roll out and point to the WR ...

Now, none of this is to say that he is even half the QB Burrow is (a living legend), but he doesn't need to be (as this is Burrow's team for the next decade).

The Bengals just need a competent backup QB and maybe he is it, and will hopefully get a chance to battle in camp against Jake Browning - who also shows potential and has the best High School stats of any QB ever (for the record I am not a fan of Siemian at all).

I swear that I told my Brother after that preseason game that the Bengals should try to pick him up as a #2 as to me he passed the "eye test" of having the "it" to make plays, so I am actually happy they now signed him. I don't think he's just a "camp arm", though that is possible. But I think and hope he makes one of the final 3 QBs. 

Bengals Signing Quarterback Reid Sinnett Following Joe Burrow's Calf Injury

Cincinnati plans to make the deal official on Sunday.

CINCINNATI — The Bengals are signing quarterback Reid Sinnett according to Ian Rapoport of NFL Network.

Sinnett worked out for the team on Saturday, along with Drew Plitt. Cincinnati opted to sign the 26-year-old Sinnett, who most recently played for the San Antonio Brahmas of the XFL. 

"It'll be good to get another arm in there because that's a lot of throws for these two guys," Bengals head coach Zac Taylor said on Friday. 

Burrow is expected to miss most of training camp. Sinnett will serve as Cincinnati's third quarterback behind Trevor Siemian and Jake Browning. 

Sinnett signed with the Buccaneers as an undrafted free agent in 2020. He's also spent time with the Eagles and the Dolphins.

https://www.si.com/nfl/bengals/news/bengals-signing-reid-sinnett-following-joe-burrow-calf-injury

9 hours ago, T-Dub said:

Not sure how to balance signing a 3rd QB with minor no big deal muscle strain. Guessing JB's camp is over?

A perfect definition of camp body. An innings eater (in baseball terms). Someone to take up space so as not to totally overwork the other two backups, and fill in should one of them get hurt. 

Methinks your guess is correct. 

13 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

A perfect definition of camp body. An innings eater (in baseball terms). Someone to take up space so as not to totally overwork the other two backups, and fill in should one of them get hurt. 

Methinks your guess is correct. 

Methinks so too...

11 hours ago, claptonrocks said:

Ill take Apple..😎

Bengals might already have 4 starting CBs ... (CTB, Chido, Turner, Ivey) and that money can be spent to keep Tee.

Plus Apple knew he wouldn't start here, so his betting on a early camp injury creating demand for him payed off. Dolphins got a good solution to their Ramsey injury. 

14 hours ago, MichaelWeston said:

2 weeks that might extend into 3-4 at most.

They are not saying whether Burrow's calf strain was a Grade I or Grade II, which is important. Degree 3 would require surgery, so it's not that.

But I tend to think that if it was Grade I, Zac would say so. I think his coyness with the timeline, means that it's a Grade II (so 4-6 weeks).

Calf-Strain-image-6.jpg

14 hours ago, BlackJesus said:

Here is a recent clip of Sinnett where he talks about a tip he learned from Tom Brady (when he was in Tampa) and how he prefers playing in empty sets (he came to the perfect offense now then).

A tip he learned from The GOAT?  Joe Burrow told him something?  Maybe find one of those motels that rent by the week?

On 7/29/2023 at 6:18 PM, BlackJesus said:

Since Miami signed Apple today to replace the recently injured Jalen Ramsey, this essentially occured ... 

IMG_20230730_031617.jpg

I would've called the first part a good trade but I guess a backup QB is a nice bonus.

On 7/31/2023 at 6:59 AM, BlackJesus said:

They are not saying whether Burrow's calf strain was a Grade I or Grade II, which is important. Degree 3 would require surgery, so it's not that.

But I tend to think that if it was Grade I, Zac would say so. I think his coyness with the timeline, means that it's a Grade II (so 4-6 weeks).

Calf-Strain-image-6.jpg

Would Joe be walking around normal and still lifting if it was a Grade II?

On 7/30/2023 at 6:44 PM, BlackJesus said:

Here is a recent clip of Sinnett where he talks about a tip he learned from Tom Brady (when he was in Tampa) and how he prefers playing in empty sets (he came to the perfect offense now then).

Maybe he can coach up JB...😎

Archived