Bengals sent Cam Taylor-Britt after DK Metcalf to win bully matchup

Chris Roling
Sun, Oct 15, 2023, 7:41 PM CDT·1 min read

70413b6c889a30469c585a3b01513587

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt was the star of the show during his team’s win over the Seattle Seahawks on Sunday.

The Bengals unleashed CTB in the sense that they sent him all over the field chasing physical star Seahawks wideout DK Metcalf no matter where he went.

After the game, Bengals cornerback Mike Hilton said the Bengals wanted to play bully ball with one of the league’s most physically imposing wideouts.

“The bullies get bullied,” Hilton, said, according to Geoff Hobson of Bengals.com. “We know that’s Metcalf’s type of game. He wants to get in corners’ heads. But we knew once we put 29 (Taylor-Britt) on him, all that was dead. He’s not used to guys pushing back and getting physical with him, Once the game plan was for Cam to follow 14 (Metcalf), we knew what time it was.”

CTB’s big day, which included a diving interception, limited Metcalf to four catches for 69 yards.

Also, this 15 yards for the Bengals defense because CTB was under Metcalf’s skin in a big way:

Was this a breakout game for CTB? Maybe. But either way, it’s clear he’s going to be a top fixture of the defense for a long time.

https://sports.yahoo.com/bengals-sent-cam-taylor-britt-004118820.html

• Upvote 1

Seattle's DK Metcalf penalized for cheap-shot shove of Cincinnati's Cam Taylor-Britt

Dave Clark, Cincinnati Enquirer
Sun, Oct 15, 2023, 1:21 PM CDT·1 min read

Cincinnati Bengals cornerback Cam Taylor-Britt breaks up a pass intended for Seattle Seahawks wide receiver DK Metcalf

Seattle Seahawks receiver DK Metcalf was penalized 15 yards for unnecessary roughness for shoving Cincinnati Bengals defensive back Cam Taylor-Britt to the ground away from the ball on a short pass play from Seahawks quarterback Geno Smith to running back Zach Charbonnet during the second quarter of Sunday's NFL Week 6 game at Paycor Stadium.

Metcalf had been held without a catch when the penalty happened. He had his first catch of the game later in the second quarter.

Metcalf appeared to be injured trying to catch a ball out of bounds during the third quarter, and jogged to the locker room a short time later. The Seahawks confirmed a hip injury, and said his return was questionable.

Social media reactions to the penalty, including from The Enquirer's Kelsey Conway:

https://sports.yahoo.com/seattles-dk-metcalf-penalized-cheap-182124305.html

CTB and DJT2 will be a nice CB tandem for at least the next 3 years. Find a replacement for Hilton in the slot (Chido at a reduced rate?). Chido has the feet to play slot and he’s lost some speed after the ACL so makes perfect sense. Along with the young safeties this defensive backfield could be pretty damn impressive for several years to come. Need to mature, gain more experience and learn nuance as a result. Once that happens, watch out. 

^Although Chido isn’t near the blitzer Hilton is. Nor is he as good near the line overall, which makes sense as he’s a boundary corner.

If Mike Hilton was taller and faster, his savvy and football instinct would make him a top 5 CB. Unfortunately he’s small and slow, but is the epitome of a “football player” 

On 10/16/2023 at 5:59 PM, IKOTA said:

CTB and DJT2 will be a nice CB tandem for at least the next 3 years. Find a replacement for Hilton in the slot (Chido at a reduced rate?). Chido has the feet to play slot and he’s lost some speed after the ACL so makes perfect sense. Along with the young safeties this defensive backfield could be pretty damn impressive for several years to come. Need to mature, gain more experience and learn nuance as a result. Once that happens, watch out. 

I'd hate to lose Hilton. He's a gamer and his intangibles can't really be taught. 

• Upvote 2

Metcalf is going full-on stupid, he's still butt hurt about the loss and being called out by his coach for losing his head and getting a stupid penalty. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/dk-metcalf-vows-not-to-change-the-way-he-plays

"“It’s just a board to me, I’m not going to change the way I play,” Metcalf told reporters. “If you look at the penalties, there’s a taunting, unnecessary roughness, facemask, holding, and I think it was one more in there. I’m doing pretty good if I look at it and judge myself knowing how I play and just try to be consistent and have clean hands or whatever the case maybe, but I’m not going to change who I am as a player or a person.

He was asked whether he gets caught up in the moment and loses control.

“Have you had a bad day at work sometimes?” Metcalf said. “All right, that’s all I nail it down to, nobody’s perfect. I’m my own person like I just said I’m a competitive person, I’m not going to shy away because he put a penalty board on the screen. I’m just going to continue to be me.”

Metcalf wouldn’t even concede that his behavior is harming the team’s interests.

“I don’t feel like I was a problem or I need to make progress in a certain area,” he said. “Football is a violent sport and it’s my one opportunity to be violent on game days, I’m just going to continue to do that.”

What a clown, he can't take constructive criticism or feedback despite evidence that his actions are hurting his team. It's a thin margin between success and failure in the NFL and if you have a guy knowingly getting stupid penalties so he can feel better about himself then....wow...don't know what to say about that. 

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Elflocko said:

I'd hate to lose Hilton. He's a gamer and his intangibles can't really be taught. 

On 10/16/2023 at 12:03 PM, IKOTA said:

^Although Chido isn’t near the blitzer Hilton is. Nor is he as good near the line overall, which makes sense as he’s a boundary corner.

If Mike Hilton was taller and faster, his savvy and football instinct would make him a top 5 CB. Unfortunately he’s small and slow, but is the epitome of a “football player” 

As you can see by what I posted immediately after the post you quoted above, I have high regard for Mike Hilton as an overall football player. He gets burned at times because of his lack of speed but brings do much value to a team on the field and in the Locker room 

• Upvote 1

On 10/18/2023 at 7:35 PM, BlackJesus said:

It looked like on the interception play Metcalf stopped his route because he was intimidated by him.  To me, he needed to be ejected from the game on that blind sided push down.  Reason, he could've been injured.  He did that on purpose.  

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 3:10 AM, BlackJesus said:

CTB is the best CB on the team (that's no longer in dispute).

But I think he's also making the case for being top 10 in the league. 

i dunno about all that. he is currently ranked 79th for corners, with even dj turner ranking better.

CTB got abused early in the year. 

if he keeps playing like he has th elast 2-3 weeks though he will shoot up the rankings quickly.. but top 10 is bananas at this point.