WEEK 12: vs SQUEELERS (GameDey thread)

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Meh, there were quite a few good QBs in that draft to include Herbert, Tua and Hurts.  

You can NOT succeed in the NFL without a top tier QB. Bill Bellicheat is finding that out right now.  

New Orleans has all kinds of offensive firepower and a good defense.  Derek Carr is no better than Andy Dalton was last year. 

BTW, Staley is a much worse coach than Zac. 

This is why you have to give credit as much as it pains me to say it to Mike Tomlin, even though they have no shot of winning it all with Picket as their QB, he somehow finds a way to not ever have a losing season. 

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

Burrow would have thrown a TD on this play ... Wide open streaking. Instead it's a strip sack 

That must be a mistake because if you ask some, they’ll say Browning wasn’t the issue with the loss. I’ll say browning was THE issue in the loss. 

25 minutes ago, BlackJesus said:

IMG_20231127_162112.jpg

No no no every head coach in NFL history is 4-20 without Joe burrow. Every decent coach needs a Joe burrow to succeed. I mean, just look at Kyle Shanahan. #1 overall pick Purdy is their QB. Imagine how horrible they’d be if they had, say, the last pick of the draft as their starting QB. No coach can succeed without Joe burrow. It’s a proven fact 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I suspect they do what they did with Bates, tag him and make him play next year, then move on.

It's hard to say this, but of all the positions WR is the most expendable.  Not because we don't love Tee, or WRs.  In fact it is expendable because we love WRs too much and that position is for the most part the only one we usually hit on, consistently, in the draft.  imo, losing top tier players on the D hurt us worse than losing a WR.

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, Jungletiger said:

It's hard to say this, but of all the positions WR is the most expendable.  Not because we don't love Tee, or WRs.  In fact it is expendable because we love WRs too much and that position is for the most part the only one we usually hit on, consistently, in the draft.  imo, losing top tier players on the D hurt us worse than losing a WR.

Not to mention the number of good WRs coming out of college these days has risen.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, SF2 said:

Meh, there were quite a few good QBs in that draft to include Herbert, Tua and Hurts.  

You can NOT succeed in the NFL without a top tier QB. Bill Bellicheat is finding that out right now.  

New Orleans has all kinds of offensive firepower and a good defense.  Derek Carr is no better than Andy Dalton was last year. 

BTW, Staley is a much worse coach than Zac. 

Staley should not have a HC job so that's no accomplishment being better than a guy who is going to get fired...

3 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Those sainted comp picks, you know. 

Mike Brown loves comp picks more than 3 dollars off coupon at Frisch's. Who needs Von Bell or Jessie Bates when you have the 100th pick in the draft...

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

Move on to who? 

Another Charlie Fizzle or Andrei Whatzit? And I thought first or second round WR’s are a no-no…because they are a dime a dozen in later rounds? Or something

Who said that 1-2 WRs are a no-no? 

Most people here are saying that taking a 1 this offseason would be a mistake when we have bigger needs, but most of those same people suggest we get one in 2.

Taking a WR in 1 is not a bad idea at all, we just have to address other needs first.

1 hour ago, PatternMaster said:

Staley should not have a HC job so that's no accomplishment being better than a guy who is going to get fired...

Mike Brown loves comp picks more than 3 dollars off coupon at Frisch's. Who needs Von Bell or Jessie Bates when you have the 100th pick in the draft...

100th pick?? More like the 150th to 180th pick.  But we are getting 2 so that is like a getting a top 10 pick in the CFL. 

And Staley was the next coming of Sean McVay…, until he wasn’t.  Truth be told, McVay was basically given the best team (short term) a coach could ask for.  Few other owners would be willing to decimate their franchise long term like that.  And other than a Super Bowl the team still has a horrible fan base.  At least we have a pretty decent fan base. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jamie_B said:

This is why you have to give credit as much as it pains me to say it to Mike Tomlin, even though they have no shot of winning it all with Picket as their QB, he somehow finds a way to not ever have a losing season. 

Tomlin is doing it with smoke, mirrors and timely no-calls from the refs this year.  And the reality is the non losing record thing has hurt the Stealers long term.

The inability to get a true franchise QB is sending them back to the mid 80s to early 2000’s era and you can’t get by with just a great defense anymore.  Not that I am tearing up or anything.    

• Upvote 2

Just now, SF2 said:

Tomlin is doing it with smoke, mirrors and timely no-calls from the refs this year.  And the reality is the non losing record thing has hurt the Stealers long term.

The inability to get a true franchise QB is sending them back to the mid 80s to early 2000’s era and you can’t get by with just a great defense anymore.  Not that I am tearing up or anything.    

Completely agree. This is exactly why I am ok if we lose out and do not understand those who don't want that (See the other thread). The recipe for mediocrity is an 8-9 win season every year.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, IKOTA said:

That must be a mistake because if you ask some, they’ll say Browning wasn’t the issue with the loss. I’ll say browning was THE issue in the loss. 

No no no every head coach in NFL history is 4-20 without Joe burrow. Every decent coach needs a Joe burrow to succeed. I mean, just look at Kyle Shanahan. #1 overall pick Purdy is their QB. Imagine how horrible they’d be if they had, say, the last pick of the draft as their starting QB. No coach can succeed without Joe burrow. It’s a proven fact 

Meh, it’s like finding a 67 Vette in an old widow’s barn under a tarp. Brady, Warner and Purdy are unicorns.  None of them amount to shit if they had ended up at Detroit, Cleveland or Arizona.(which is true of most QBs). 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think anyone expects the team to look the same without JB but it would probably be good if they still looked like something.

They're completely lost & adrift. The rest of the NFL sees this, they know the Bengals can't and won't run the ball, so they paint a bullseye on him.

The fact he's won so many games despite this is remarkable but if his legacy is going to be more than losing a Superbowl the Bengals FO is going to have to do more and tolerate less. The problem with that is in an organization where so many people are in top positions because of who they're related to, little things like actually being good or even competent at one's job becomes seconday and that mentality rubs off on everyone down the line.

I fear that after paying him a quarter billion they expect him to keep carrying the entire franchise on his back until he finally gives out for good.

• Upvote 4

32 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

Completely agree. This is exactly why I am ok if we lose out and do not understand those who don't want that (See the other thread). The recipe for mediocrity is an 8-9 win season every year.

I thought mediocrity were the years 2011-2015? It’s what I read here anyway. 

59 minutes ago, T-Dub said:

The fact he's won so many games despite this is remarkable but if his legacy is going to be more than losing a Superbowl the Bengals FO is going to have to do more and tolerate less. The problem with that is in an organization where so many people are in top positions because of who they're related to, little things like actually being good or even competent at one's job becomes seconday and that mentality rubs off on everyone down the line.

I fear that after paying him a quarter billion they expect him to keep carrying the entire franchise on his back until he finally gives out for good.

This x1,000 x infinity...if you run a business like a small business you get small business results and this is why the Bengals don't get respect from the league or national media. Frequently you hear the Bengals referred to as a Mom & Pop organization, which for a multi-billion organization isn't a compliment. 

13 minutes ago, Le Tigre said:

I thought mediocrity were the years 2011-2015? It’s what I read here anyway. 

2011 - 9-7, 3rd place in the division. 6 seed (final spot at that time) and one and done in the playoffs.

2012 - 10-6, 2nd place in the division

2013 - 11-5, division winner, one and done in the playoffs

2014 - 10-5-1, 2nd place in the division, 5 seed, one and done in the playoffs

2015 - 12-4, division winner, one and done in the playoffs.

All of those are above 8 wins, and 2011 is the only 9 win season. Nobody in the AFC is making the playoffs with 9 wins this year imho. You're going to need 10, 9 wins MIGHT get you the 7 seed but I would be surprised.

Again I have no idea what your argument is here. Do you want to get to the playoffs and lose the first game again? What exactly did you see from Jake Browning that inspired you to think that could happen yesterday? 

Also what's with this passive aggressiveness with you lately? 

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

This x1,000 x infinity...if you run a business like a small business you get small business results and this is why the Bengals don't get respect from the league or national media. Frequently you hear the Bengals referred to as a Mom & Pop organization, which for a multi-billion organization isn't a compliment. 

Most other organizations have owners who have other forms of income, the Bengals do not. The team is their source of income, which is why it is referred to as a "mom and pop organization".

That's not to say the can't do more or that they haven't made strides in some areas either.

19 minutes ago, PatternMaster said:

Exactly. This isnt some small town chili parlor, that shit ain't cute.

1 minute ago, Jamie_B said:

Most other organizations have owners who have other forms of income, the Bengals do not. The team is their source of income, which is why it is referred to as a "mom and pop organization".

That's not to say the can't do more or that they haven't made strides in some areas either.

What strides have they made beyond internet branding and landing a generational talent at QB by virtue of going from mostly irrelevant to being completely awful the year before?

What has fundamentally changed here other than Burrow at QB and clever Twitter campaigns?