Today is Sam Wyche's birthday.  January 5th.

I always make a point to remember people on the anniversary of their birth rather than the random date upon which they were taken from us. We are made better when important people enter our lives, and are diminished when they depart.  Let's choose to celebrate the former.

417423940_10159987790085423_8368324768433378686_n.jpg

Happy birthday, Coach.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

I always make a point to remember people on the anniversary of their birth rather than the random date upon which they were taken from us. We are made better when important people enter our lives, and are diminished when they depart.  Let's choose to celebrate the former.

Happy birthday, Coach.

I have that sweater but gave it to my wife's nephew from the 88 sb season

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, AmishBengalFan said:

Happy birthday, Coach.

Sam was one of a kind. 

I should just store this post in archives…copy/paste…and I think I will:

Will never forget the one and only time meeting him. It was at an annual event in Columbus at the Athletic Club called the Touchdown Club. Stars (and unknown future stars) were honored for what they had accomplished the previous year. Attendees were placed at dinner tables along with one or more honorees. 

Sam was being honored for his first (and only) not-so-successful season at Indiana. I was placed at his table, and seated next to him. I knew of him, naturally, from his Bengal QB days. I didn’t know at that time, he was being considered for the HC position in Cincinnati.

In any event, it was a joy to sit and chat with him during dinner. Not everything was football related. He particularly liked talking about golf courses—he, as I am, evidently was an avid golfer. Obtained the customary autographed program—which I still have—and finished enjoying a memorable time. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Le Tigre said:

Sam was one of a kind. 

I should just store this post in archives…copy/paste…and I think I will:

Will never forget the one and only time meeting him. It was at an annual event in Columbus at the Athletic Club called the Touchdown Club. Stars (and unknown future stars) were honored for what they had accomplished the previous year. Attendees were placed at dinner tables along with one or more honorees. 

Sam was being honored for his first (and only) not-so-successful season at Indiana. I was placed at his table, and seated next to him. I knew of him, naturally, from his Bengal QB days. I didn’t know at that time, he was being considered for the HC position in Cincinnati.

In any event, it was a joy to sit and chat with him during dinner. Not everything was football related. He particularly liked talking about golf courses—he, as I am, evidently was an avid golfer. Obtained the customary autographed program—which I still have—and finished enjoying a memorable time. 

We went to the one the year David Klingler was honored right before the Bengals drafted him. I still have the autographed program somewhere. Ken Anderson was the emcee and I got my picture taken with him. This was 1992.

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, Shebengal said:

We went to the one the year David Klingler was honored right before the Bengals drafted him. I still have the autographed program somewhere. Ken Anderson was the emcee and I got my picture taken with him. This was 1992.

I found the picture.

No laughing at my hair. It was the 90’s, after all.

IMG_0735.jpeg

• Upvote 6

2 hours ago, Shebengal said:

I found the picture.

No laughing at my hair. It was the 90’s, after all.

IMG_0735.jpeg

Did you take him to prom?! I'm a 50 year old man, and I'd probably still ask him to prom...

20 minutes ago, Cat said:

Did you take him to prom?! I'm a 50 year old man, and I'd probably still ask him to prom...

That’s so sweet that you think I look young enough in this picture to be going to a prom. 😂 But I think my hubby would have frowned on me asking him to prom. 

12 minutes ago, Shebengal said:

That’s so sweet that you think I look young enough in this picture to be going to a prom. 😂 But I think my hubby would have frowned on me asking him to prom. 

…but he would have been okay with it if it was Bernie Kosar or Brian Sipe…???  🥷

• Upvote 1