Fixing the Bengals before the 2024 season

48 minutes ago, Cat said:

I stopped listening when they suggested tagging DJ Reader. 

Yes, that was quite surprising. Sam Monson was pushing that narrative, and the other guy was on the Tee train. No doubt, DJ Reader was a tone setter on defense, but given his injury - which the Bengals should know more about than anyone re: severity and his prognosis/recovery - that's a huge risk to take on. Not saying they shouldn't consider re-signing him, but I would think that the tag is earmarked for Tee, and they'll keep close tabs on DJ's rehab. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, texbengal said:

Yes, that was quite surprising. Sam Monson was pushing that narrative, and the other guy was on the Tee train. No doubt, DJ Reader was a tone setter on defense, but given his injury - which the Bengals should know more about than anyone re: severity and his prognosis/recovery - that's a huge risk to take on. Not saying they shouldn't consider re-signing him, but I would think that the tag is earmarked for Tee, and they'll keep close tabs on DJ's rehab. 

If they tag Tee and don't plan on getting a long term deal with him I hope they trade him and get something for him

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Cat said:

It was interesting because they made the points that he is older and has a bit of a injury history, but they are also right about how much of a force he is.

^ It's a cardinal rule that you don't tag an injured player. 

Reader will be on the 'discount rack' until he proves he has recovered. Why pay premium?

Offer a half year deal of 8 games for 8 million on a prove it deal, so he can still cash in next off season.

1 hour ago, BlackJesus said:

^ It's a cardinal rule that you don't tag an injured player. 

Reader will be on the 'discount rack' until he proves he has recovered. Why pay premium?

Offer a half year deal of 8 games for 8 million on a prove it deal, so he can still cash in next off season.

Depends on how significant the injury is, Reader said it wasn't as bad as the last time it happened on the other knee. If he's able to play next season even missing a couple of games, then you work a full deal for him, if he is going to miss significant time, I still try to get a 3 year deal with the first year being mostly workout and recovery bonuses.

5 hours ago, Cat said:

Right.. A tag on Trader is a hair more than Higgins.

Both close to 21mil.

Reader is injured and who knows how many games he'll actually play in and at what efficiency?

Hard no on that.

The biggest issue that needs fixing, by far, is the defense.  I understand that offense gets more attention and everyone loves shiny toys but the stats don’t lie.  The Bengals defense was 31st in total yards allowed (28th against the pass, 26th against the run) and 21st in points allowed.  That’s bottom third of the league and not even close to being good enough to compete for a Super Bowl.  Everything hinges on turning it around or it won’t matter what a healthy Burrow does.  

• Upvote 2

35 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

The biggest issue that needs fixing, by far, is the defense.  I understand that offense gets more attention and everyone loves shiny toys but the stats don’t lie.  The Bengals defense was 31st in total yards allowed (28th against the pass, 26th against the run) and 21st in points allowed.  That’s bottom third of the league and not even close to being good enough to compete for a Super Bowl.  Everything hinges on turning it around or it won’t matter what a healthy Burrow does.  

I tend to agree, but I would go a bit further and say that the biggest issue on both sides of the ball is addressing the trenches. I think both sides of the ball could take a huge step forward if we could get better at DT and on the Oline.

Getting a good NT and a 3 Tech would fix this defense very quickly. It would allow us to generate pressure from the middle freeing up Trey even more so and Sam as well, it would free up the LBs to roam freely into the backfield and it would help the very young 2ndary out so they arent covering as long. 

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

I tend to agree, but I would go a bit further and say that the biggest issue on both sides of the ball is addressing the trenches. I think both sides of the ball could take a huge step forward if we could get better at DT and on the Oline.

Getting a good NT and a 3 Tech would fix this defense very quickly. It would allow us to generate pressure from the middle freeing up Trey even more so and Sam as well, it would free up the LBs to roam freely into the backfield and it would help the very young 2ndary out so they arent covering as long. 

I'm still leaning OT and NT

I know they need more interior rush but stopping the run is essential.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, claptonrocks said:

I'm still leaning OT and NT

I know they need more interior rush but stopping the run is essential.

RT and Sweat even if we have to go up to get him in 1 and 2 are my ideal scenarios. If they address those in FA, it's a different discussion. I'm just not sure there is good talent in FA for either position. Reader is it at NT, and he is coming of an injury and aging. 

• Like 1