*** [RD 1] Bengals Select ~ AMARIUS MIMS, OT ***

Been a while since i had posted, but at first glance, I do like this pick.  Priority number one is to protect the franchise, and Mims definitely looks the part.  I definitely like that he played for Georgia, same school that Adkins and Green played through, and that also he doesn't have to play right away with OB Jr. and Trent Brown as projected staters for Week 1.  Hopefully this also needs we are running the ball more, and running more effectively, since that will also help protect the franchise.  Looking forward to how Cincy goes after tomorrow night.  Who will be joining Mims?

I got to go to bed now--got work in the morning, and even though Im working from home now, still got to get that rest.

• Upvote 1

The injury stuff does concern me but I have to assume the difference between NFL strength & conditioning vs college is dramatic, even at a program like Georgia.  The fact that he (apparently) tried to come back while still hurt says a lot.  Good on the Bulldog coaches for having the sense to pull him before he made things worse but I'm confident this guy will be on the field if he's at all able.  No more of these OTs that seem to keep coming up with mysterious muscle strains every time they have to jog a lap.

Still wouldnt mind seeing 2-3 more OL picks in this draft but what a relief to see them do the obvious thing and invest in what should be a long term answer at OT.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jungletiger said:

Ill wait and see, he hasn't played much and might be injury prone.  Feels like another experiment pick.

I agree. I hate that the Bengals are so prone to project picks in the first rd. This is a risky boom or bust pick. Is he healthy? 

• Like 1

There is risk sure, but this is not a project. The guy is polished, he just didn't get to play much because he was behind guys and then got hurt.

I was watching Malik Wright when they were doing a mock draft and they were talking about his injury "history" apparently a tightrope surgery can lead to hamstring injuries after the fact, but there is not any concern about it being a long term lingering thing. (btw, this is why I am somewhat concerned about Sam Hubbard for the short term as he is coming off a tightrope surgery as well).

The only real concern I have is his experience, but that's not really his fault. But go watch tape, when he was on the field he was a monster, this is not going to be a pick that has to work alot on his game, he is ready he just needs snaps.

8 minutes ago, Jamie_B said:

There is risk sure, but this is not a project. The guy is polished, he just didn't get to play much because he was behind guys and then got hurt.

I was watching Malik Wright when they were doing a mock draft and they were talking about his injury "history" apparently a tightrope surgery can lead to hamstring injuries after the fact, but there is not any concern about it being a long term lingering thing. (btw, this is why I am somewhat concerned about Sam Hubbard for the short term as he is coming off a tightrope surgery as well).

The only real concern I have is his experience, but that's not really his fault. But go watch tape, when he was on the field he was a monster, this is not going to be a pick that has to work alot on his game, he is ready he just needs snaps.

Here is a quote from Kirby Smart about the inexperience of Mims:

"I think the eight career starts is a mistake," Smart told reporters during Georgia's Pro Day on Wednesday, March 13. "What does that matter if you block Travon Walker, Nolan Smith, Robert Beal your whole career... Would you rather have a guy who's played 27 games and played against nobody or somebody who played against first-round draft picks every day at practice? I know which one I'm picking. ... He's uber-talented. He's going to play a long time [in the NFL]." 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2