UDFA Bros: Post here!

20 hours ago, dex said:

Casey has a strong special teams background, which gives him a real shot at the back of the LB room. I'm still surprised they haven't resigned Markus Bailey after not drafting a LB with any of their 10 picks.

Yeah, not sure what the deal is but maybe he/his agent are talking to other teams. Really thought he'd get more play from scrimmage by now, but he's been STs for the most part... albeit a solid player there. He may go somewhere else... wouldn't surprise me at all. 

Thinking Casey might be a ST guy also, and maybe even a PS guy at that. They have Shaka Heyward, too... and Devin Harper, who was a ST player in Dallas and he suited up and played last year after he was picked up. 

36. PJ JULES | Southern Illinois 5117 | 203 lbs. | 5SR Orlando, Fla. (Jones) 5/18/1998 (age 25.94) #4 YEAR

(GP/GS) TKLS TFL SACK FF PD INT NOTES 2019: (10/1) 14 1.0 0.0 0 1 0 2020: (9/1) 17 1.0 0.0 0 3 0 Season played in spring of 2021 because of the pandemic 2021: (13/13) 74 3.0 1.0 0 7 1 Honorable Mention All-MVFC; 41-yard INT TD (at Kansas State) 2022: (11/6) 66 4.0 2.5 1 7 0 Second Team All-MVFC; Led team in passes defended and tackles 2023: (13/13) 111 13.0 2.0 1 11 0 First Team All-MVFC; Led team in TFL and tackles; Hula Bowl Total: (56/34) 282 22.0 5.5 2 29 1 HT WT HAND ARM WING 40-YD 20-YD 10-YD VJ BJ SS 3C BP COMBINE N/A (not invited) PRO DAY 5117 203 9 1/4 32 77 1/4 - - - 34 1/2 - 4.32 - 19 (no run, broad, 3-cone — left groin)

SUMMARY: PJ Jules was born and raised in Orlando, but he also spent time in Haiti during childhood. At Jones High, he moved up to varsity as a junior and shared a secondary with Kerby Joseph. Jules led the team in tackles (132) as a senior. A three-star recruit, he had FBS scholarship offers (Syracuse, FAU, UCF), but he connected with the coaches at FCS Southern Illinois. He earned All-Conference each of his final three years and posted career-best numbers as a senior. A strong wrap tackler, Jules can run the alley with conviction and handles himself well in the box to make stops at the line. He plays confidently in coverage as an underneath zone defender, with adequate burst and change of direction. He can be late to recover when his eyes get stuck in the wrong place or he’s late sorting through the play. Overall, Jules is a see-ball, get-ball defender who is consistently around the action, because of his flow range and aggressive nature (which also shows on special teams). GRADE: Priority Free Agent

By Lance Zierlein
NFL Analyst
Draft Projection
Round 7/PFA

Overview

Scheme-dependent box safety who requires a specific plan for usage when he’s on the field. Jules has good size and terrific play strength. He can deliver a thumping blow when running the alley and has the play strength to cover tight ends and finish tackles near the line. His anticipation and foot quickness are below average in man coverage and he doesn’t run well enough to stick with vertical challengers. He’s a fit with teams looking for a player who can hold his own on special teams and compete at nickel safety in short-zone cover concepts.

Strengths

• Swings arm into catch space with well-timed swats.
  • Possesses good change-of-direction quickness.
  • Bender with a talent for working around blockers in run support.
  • Delivers firm contact as both a hitter and tackler.
  • Tackle-finisher who is consistent to wrap up.
  • Productive special teams contributor.

Weaknesses

• Only one interception over five seasons.
  • Will have trouble sticking with the route vertically.
  • Dependent on zone-heavy cover scheme underneath.
  • Pursuit angles could be an issue if he’s not tight to the line.

Reading up on McNamara, there’s a bunch to like.  It sounds like he chose to come here probably because he knows he can win the job.  Unlike Robbins, he’s got a big leg while also being among the best in the nation in terms of hang time.  He had career highs last year both in fair catches and balls downed inside the 20.  His career average is 10th best all time in NCAA and he served as the team’s primary holder for most of his career.  I expect him to make it a real competition and I expect him to win it.

• Upvote 2

15 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Reading up on McNamara, there’s a bunch to like.  It sounds like he chose to come here probably because he knows he can win the job.  Unlike Robbins, he’s got a big leg while also being among the best in the nation in terms of hang time.  He had career highs last year both in fair catches and balls downed inside the 20.  His career average is 10th best all time in NCAA and he served as the team’s primary holder for most of his career.  I expect him to make it a real competition and I expect him to win it.

Geoff Hobson said the Bengals came close to drafting a punter in the 7th. I'm sure Simmons was targeting either McNamara or Ryan Rehkow, who ended up signing with Kansas City as a UDFA.

• Upvote 1

On 5/10/2024 at 12:42 PM, dex said:

Geoff Hobson said the Bengals came close to drafting a punter in the 7th. I'm sure Simmons was targeting either McNamara or Ryan Rehkow, who ended up signing with Kansas City as a UDFA.

The following about Austin McNamara is from a Bengals scout. He never actually says it, but it reads to me like McNamara may have been the punter almost drafted by Cincinnati in the 7th, not Rehkow. Will be interesting to see how McNamara fares against Robbins, and how Rehkow does against Matt Araiza in KC.

SCOUT'S TAKE: Great get. Easily could have gotten drafted. Big hitter. Good head on his shoulders. He's used to the limelight. It's been on him for a couple of years. In a year one punter was drafted, I've got to believe he was next or close to it.