The unintentional hit on Trent Green

Bengalino

Steeler fans are acting like the Bengals took some kind of pride out of hurting Green. That Marvin was laughing and celebrating the injury.

It's almost like they are using it to make themselves look better about Palmer.

It doesn't help that certain people here do seem to like to make an injury into a joke

The hit was obviously "intentional". Maybe it wasnt avoidable, maybe he was blocked forward, but he was trying to hit the QB wasnt he? Dont get me wrong, I am not saying he tried to hurt Green and I am not saying it was a dirty hit, I think I am just arguing semantics.

I don't think that Geathers really meant to hurt him... It's just hard for me to watch ANY QB go down on a late "questionable" hit. This is football though, and it's not like you can tell the defense not to hit the guy with the ball. Green should have slid earlier, no doubt. Luckily he's okay.

This is irrevalant, but let's not compare Greens injury to Carsons...

Green is not the most crucial factor on that team, and Carson is on ours. The Chiefs will go on with thier running game (much like Pitt does when thier All Star QB goes down) and will be just fine. On the other hand, without a good backup for LJ, the Chiefs would be FUCKED without him.

I would compare Green being lost to us losing CJ... both are critical for our offenses, but the machine will go on without them.

Maybe im wrong though? who knows...

Every time you legally hit someome you try to knock them the fuck out. That's what he did. He knocked him the fuck out. When legally hitting a player you want to hit them as hard as humanly possible. That way, the next time they get in there they are scared as shit. I do think the push made the hit even worse. I wanna see Green get well and start next week. But he should have thought twice before running like he did. It was bound to get him sooner or later.

[quote name='Bgal' post='336322' date='Sep 10 2006, 03:41 PM']You would think after what happened to Carson our own defense players would make a better effort to avoid questionable hits. I'm not saying Geathers did it on purpose, I don't know... but damn- I can see where KC fans are pissed.

Just imagine for a second Palmer was on the other side of that.

Trent is an extremely classy guy and even helped Palmer by calling him and showing support. To poke any fun at this is just completely classless.

Get well soon, Trent.[/quote]
Carson wouldn't have needed to scramble for yards outside the pocket (again).
Green had scrambled for first downs before this in the very same game...and this time he didn't get down fast enough and got his bell rung...is this football or ballerina classes?
I hope Green is OK but I am glad we fucked him up...gives our defense attitude........

To me it looked like our guy Geathers moved his head to avoid the helmet to helmet hit.

I think his head bouncing one the ground at a funny angle did as much or more damage than the shoulder to face mask hit.
It was very wet, hard to stop instantly when he finally decides to slide.

I like Trent Green, it was great how he encouraged Carson after kimo's hit.

Sophie

[quote name='Jason' post='336372' date='Sep 10 2006, 06:23 PM']Honestly, that is the hit I kept wishing someone would lay on Kordell Stewart back in the day.[/quote]

And if Jen shows her fat ass on the field in 2 weeks she's going to be bitch slapped into next week. I think we have many more hits save up for that bitch.

[quote name='oftt4' post='336363' date='Sep 10 2006, 04:12 PM']The hit was obviously "intentional". Maybe it wasnt avoidable, maybe he was blocked forward, but he was trying to hit the QB wasnt he? Dont get me wrong, I am not saying he tried to hurt Green and I am not saying it was a dirty hit, I think I am just arguing semantics.[/quote]
Go away scared boy. Next time it will be your excuse-ridden QB and there will be no more excuses.
And you know it.

Does it not bother you guys at all that there was no flag? I just think it was close enough that he should have gotten a flag or something. Rather or not he meant to is between him, Marvin, and the film. But in real time- with a QB giving himself up- I just think there should be more of an effort to protect the QB. I've seen players get roughing the passer penalties for much less than that.

Guest mongoloido
[quote name='Fulcher_33' post='336346' date='Sep 10 2006, 05:54 PM'][b]stealers forums are saying the game would have been different had Green been there.[/b] Said we wouldn't have been able to stop LJ. Odd how another team's starter matters in the outcome but ours doesn't. hehe!! They are so insecure and scared of Cincinnati this year it isn't even funny. We are going to own their asses.
MULLY[/quote]

They are absolutely correct. With Green in the game, we went for the jugular, and jumped out to a two touchdown lead. Had Green stayed in the game, we wouldn't have shut down the offense, and we would have scored a lot more points. I believe our victory would have been by a much greater margin.

As for the hit, I think it was legit. Geathers and Green started their motions at enough of the same time, that I don't believe either dive was a reaction to the other. Once started, there just wasn't much to be done. I'm actually surprised Geathers and Green didn't totally maul helmets... It's so tough to consider any shoulder to chest hit as dirty. I feel really bad for Green, but I do chalk this up as a freak occurance, under really bad circumstances.

[quote name='Bgal' post='336384' date='Sep 10 2006, 10:36 PM']Does it not bother you guys at all that there was no flag? I just think it was close enough that he should have gotten a flag or something. Rather or not he meant to is between him, Marvin, and the film. But in real time- with a QB giving himself up- I just think there should be more of an effort to protect the QB. I've seen players get roughing the passer penalties for much less than that.[/quote]

the ref was right there in front of the play and probably saw where he was blocked into Green

don't worry when we go to Heinz field we will get penalized early and often enough, its the only way urinetown can win

Green will be fine.. From what reports are coming from KC, his preliminary scans have been negative.. He probably just has a serious concussion and will miss a few weeks at most.

Anyone find any irony in the fact that on the chiefs board there were several KC fans saying that Palmer was gonna get knocked out of this game. That his knee had a "very high chance" of getting re-injured. They said they "didn't hope it would happen", but "this is football" and "stuff happens". I know this has nothihng to do with Trent, and I hope he recoveres and I wish him and the chiefs good luck with the rest of their season, but I do find it kind of ironic

[quote name='Lucid' post='336398' date='Sep 10 2006, 10:55 PM']Green will be fine.. From what reports are coming from KC, his preliminary scans have been negative.. He probably just has a serious concussion and will miss a few weeks at most.

Anyone find any irony in the fact that on the chiefs board there were several KC fans saying that Palmer was gonna get knocked out of this game. That his knee had a "very high chance" of getting re-injured. They said they "didn't hope it would happen", but "this is football" and "stuff happens". I know this has nothihng to do with Trent, and I hope he recoveres and I wish him and the chiefs good luck with the rest of their season, but I do find it kind of ironic[/quote]

I saw it, there was a poster named "halfcan" that talked all kinds of shit all week like that so after the game I posted a thread that said "This win is for halfcan" "you call yourself halfcan but you're full of shit"

the fucking pussies at chiefsplanet banned me for that

[quote name='Bgal' post='336322' date='Sep 10 2006, 05:41 PM']You would think after what happened to Carson our own defense players would make a better effort to avoid questionable hits. I'm not saying Geathers did it on purpose, I don't know... but damn- I can see where KC fans are pissed.

Just imagine for a second Palmer was on the other side of that.

Trent is an extremely classy guy and even helped Palmer by calling him and showing support. To poke any fun at this is just completely classless.

Get well soon, Trent.[/quote]

had me, then lost me, tho there are some childish(at best) comments on this thread, its blatantly obvious that no harm was intended, he kept his helmet out of the way and frankly would have mearly landing ontop of him were it not for both of thier momentums going opposite directions, trent had started a slide, pushing his upper body backwards on his own while geathers was in dive/tackle mode before trent went into the slide. so it happened to be that his head got geathers shoulder pad which made it bounce backwards even faster and hit the ground. honestly field turf would ahve helped this impact a little. but "players should make an effort to avoid questionable hits" is almost laughable. its football, not chess, preparing or planning hits isnt part of the game, reacting to the other player is. hell its not even possible for geathers to TRY to make his helmet bounce that hard off of his pads, hell the hit wasnt even what hurt the guy, his helmer bashing against the ground after bouncing off geathers is.

i hope trent green the best, its pretty clear no one was trying to hurt anyone, hell robert geathers is one of the nicest guys on the team, its like saying shayne graham tried to take him out...its just not in the guy. marvin wouldnt allow such craziness either.

scenario: we did nothing wrong, unfortunetly a player was injured.

[quote name='Lucid' post='336398' date='Sep 10 2006, 06:55 PM']Green will be fine.. From what reports are coming from KC, his preliminary scans have been negative.. He probably just has a serious concussion and will miss a few weeks at most.

Anyone find any irony in the fact that on the chiefs board there were several KC fans saying that Palmer was gonna get knocked out of this game. That his knee had a "very high chance" of getting re-injured. They said they "didn't hope it would happen", but "this is football" and "stuff happens". I know this has nothihng to do with Trent, and I hope he recoveres and I wish him and the chiefs good luck with the rest of their season, but I do find it kind of ironic[/quote]

Lucid - you are correct there is some irony.

The fact this is even a debate is comical. First let me say I am very happy that Trent is OK. He is classy. but he also made a choice to go for the first down vs. run out of bounds. Or slide early. Geathers made a clean hit! Also,there is a thing called physics. Momentum = Mass X velocity. Force = Mass X Acceleration. I could do the calculations for anyone if they chose, but Trent made a decison! A bad decision. Sorry Trent. Hope u get well....... but next time use better judgement!!!!!

[quote name='kcbengalsfan' post='336410' date='Sep 10 2006, 07:19 PM']Peter King was just on NBC and acted like he had breaking news. "I can tell you right now Trent Green will be listed as DOUBTFUL for Sundays game at Denver."- Peter "Einstein" King.[/quote]

:lol: i wouldnt be surprised to see him play next week or so, tho with a week 3 BYE, probably not out of the question to sit him and let him get 3 full weeks rest....

Archived