Great e mail from Lance's Blog

You can't really call Pollack a missing starter - he was injured early in the only game he played all year. Odell hardly played a snap, either, and we knew he was going to be out.

With Simmons you have somewhat of a point, but Landon was being groomed as his replacement, anyway.

As far as injuries, what about Keanu? For all the crap he takes, maybe you haven't noticed that he leads the team in interceptions?

The injuries on defense are magnified when our offense can't control the clock. But hey, Bratkowski is a genius for turning a 21-0 rout into a shootout. Fans love the deep ball.

[quote name='Storm' post='386051' date='Nov 13 2006, 09:09 PM']What happened to all that depth we were suppossed to have because of our great drafts the last couple of years?[/quote]

Aug. 21: Placed CB Rashad Bauman on the Reserve/Injured list.

Aug. 22: Placed S Anthony Mitchell on the Reserve/Injured list.

Aug. 24: RB Terrence Whitehead cleared waivers and placed on the Reserve/Injured list

Sept. 2: Placed DE Jonathan Fanene, T Adam Kieft and RB Chris Perry on the Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform list. Placed CB Patrick Body, WR Bennie Brazell and DT Marcus Lewis on the Reserve/Injured list. LB Odell Thurman placed by the NFL on the Reserve/Suspended by Commissioner list.

Sept. 18: Placed LB David Pollack on the Reserve/Injured list.

Sept. 27: Placed DE Frostee Rucker on the Reserve/Injured list. Notified by the NFL that LB Odell Thurman's four-game suspension was extended to one year.

Oct. 20: Placed WR Tab Perry on the Reserve/Injured list.

Oct. 27: Placed WR Antonio Chatman on the Reserve/Injured list.

Nov. 7: Placed CB Greg Brooks and T Adam Kieft on the Reserve/Injured list.

Add all the guys not on IR that have been out for an extended amount of time, notably Simmons, Levi, and Braham... And that's where the depth went.

[quote name='ravonaf' post='385581' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:23 AM']Bullshit. Great teams find a way to win regardless of injuries. What we are finding out is that our backups suck. Even with backups no team should give up 42 points in a single half. Injuries are a problem but his problem goes beyond injuries. What we have here is a shity defense to begin with made even worse by injuries.[/quote]

Please enlighten us with these examples !!! My guess is you will throw out NE as your reference. My guess is, that will be your only reference. I will give you that one to an extent. NE had many injuries and juggled their lineup during ONE of their SB years. However, their key personnel managed to stay injury free. The o-line, RB, QB and front seven on the defense had few injuries and most of these guys came back.

Now I would agree with you that great teams find a way to overcome injuries. Injuries are apart of the NFL. However, you will not find a team that has been successfull with the kind of losses that this team has had. You cannont do it, not going to happen.

Let's see, several years ago this happened to Carolina after they went to the SB. I think they started off 1-8 the following season-----injuries. Last season Chargers, Eagles, Saints. When you lose your 1, 2, 3 and your 4th is playing hurt and you are playing guys on the depth chart ranked 6, 7, 8, 9 ---- there is a difference.

Plan and simply ----------when guys named Frazier & Holt are receiving time on the defense/offense------your injuries may be more than you can overcome.

[quote name='cwing' post='386104' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:05 PM']Please enlighten us with these examples !!! My guess is you will throw out NE as your reference. My guess is, that will be your only reference. I will give you that one to an extent. NE had many injuries and juggled their lineup during ONE of their SB years. However, their key personnel managed to stay injury free. The o-line, RB, QB and front seven on the defense had few injuries and most of these guys came back.

Now I would agree with you that great teams find a way to overcome injuries. Injuries are apart of the NFL. However, you will not find a team that has been successful with the kind of losses that this team has had. You cannont do it, not going to happen.

Let's see, several years ago this happened to Carolina after they went to the SB. I think they started off 1-8 the following season-----injuries. Last season Chargers, Eagles, Saints. When you lose your 1, 2, 3 and your 4th is playing hurt and you are playing guys on the depth chart ranked 6, 7, 8, 9 ---- there is a difference.

Plan and simply ----------when a guys named Frazier & Holt are receiving time on the defense/offense------your injuries may be more than you can overcome.[/quote]

[img]http://www.globalschoolnet.org/about/images/applause.gif[/img]

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='385599' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:42 AM']I am not happy or accepting of this defense, but they are decimated by injuries and starting guys that have no right to start and that hurts.[/quote]

[size=4]Very well put !!!!!!!!![/size]

[quote name='Storm' post='386051' date='Nov 13 2006, 09:09 PM']What happened to all that depth we were suppossed to have because of our great drafts the last couple of years?[/quote]

Yes we have depth. That is why we have hung in there in all of these games we have played. Just how much depth do you honestly expect a team to have. No team in the history of football has had all 53 men on the roster of equal talent........

Do you honestly believe there is a team in the NFL that their 8th ranked player on their depth chart at a postion is as good as their best player in that position??????

This really is not that hard to understand. Ask every NFL coach, analsist, player and they will tell you the number one key to success is staying injury free. They say it over and over again in their preseason projections........ and IT IS TRUE !!!!

[quote name='cwing' post='386111' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:18 PM']Yes we have depth. That is why we have hung in there in all of these games we have played. Just how much depth do you honestly expect a team to have. No team in the history of football has had all 53 men on the roster of equal talent........

Do you honestly believe there is a team in the NFL that their 8th ranked player on their depth chart at a postion is as good as their best player in that position??????

This really is not that hard to understand. Ask every NFL coach, analsist, player and they will tell you the number one key to success is staying injury free. They say it over and over again in their preseason projections........ and IT IS TRUE !!!![/quote]

<sarcasm>
No its not, stop making excuses, Caleb Miller is just as good as David Pollack damn it!!
</sarcasm>

[quote name='T-Dub' post='386049' date='Nov 13 2006, 09:06 PM']You can't really call Pollack a missing starter - he was injured early in the only game he played all year. Odell hardly played a snap, either, and we knew he was going to be out.

With Simmons you have somewhat of a point, but Landon was being groomed as his replacement, anyway.

As far as injuries, what about Keanu? For all the crap he takes, maybe you haven't noticed that he leads the team in interceptions?

The injuries on defense are magnified when our offense can't control the clock. But hey, Bratkowski is a genius for turning a 21-0 rout into a shootout. Fans love the deep ball.[/quote]

Yes you can-----

Your projected starters for the season were Pollack, Simmons, Thurman. Pollack won the starting job in the preseason, had he not been here they would have kept another Lber, they did not becasue he was here. Thurman was expected back after week 4. He never made it back. Simmons has been limited or out several weeks. Johnson has a bad ankle. If not for special teams, Miller wouldn't have made the team.

I agree concerning KK. He is an underrated player. He is not very good against the run but plays very well against the pass. He is on this team for pass coverage and special teams.

[quote name='T-Dub' post='386049' date='Nov 13 2006, 09:06 PM']You can't really call Pollack a missing starter - he was injured early in the only game he played all year.[/quote]

That's exactly what he is, a missing starter! He was one of the reasons for thinking the defense might be improved, instead of giving up 40-points in a half.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='386112' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:21 PM']<sarcasm>
No its not, stop making excuses, Caleb Miller is just as good as David Pollack damn it!!
</sarcasm>[/quote]

Sorry, lost my head for a minute. Your right. A Frazier and B Simmons are of equal ability.
Tj -------- Holt, no difference........ I stand corrected :crazy:

Gee, George? Are injuries a huge factor in this teams performance this year on both sides of the ball? ARE THEY? GEE I WONDER...

FUCK!

How is this even a topic of debate? Starting with our franchise player on down, this team was decimated by injuries. PERIOD

[quote name='The Scales' post='386120' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:31 PM']The giants were missing 5 starters on Sunday night but managed to beat the bandwagon bears
Have i mentioned that comparisons are odious...
anyway im with babs
Just win Baby![/quote]

Uhm No they didnt. Giants 20, Bears 38. :wave:

[url="http://www.nfl.com/scores"]http://www.nfl.com/scores[/url]

[quote name='The Scales' post='386120' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:31 PM']The giants were missing 5 starters on Sunday night but managed to beat the bandwagon bears
Have i mentioned that comparisons are odious...
anyway im with babs
Just win Baby![/quote]

What time did you go to bed --------better recheck your numbers and edit this post !!!

I will agree with this though, Bears may turn out to be pretenders as their QB has looked shakey at best. Those 5 Giant injuries is very likely the reason they lost........

[quote name='The Scales' post='386127' date='Nov 13 2006, 11:41 PM']oh
well i'm misinformed

i'll delete mine if you delete yours[/quote]

no worries we all make mistakes, or in case of the backup linebackers quite a few...

badum chink

Ill be here all week, try the viel. :D

[quote name='The Scales' post='386127' date='Nov 14 2006, 12:41 AM']oh
well i'm misinformed

i'll delete mine if you delete yours[/quote]

These are the kinds of mistakes that happen when starting posters get injured and are replaced with backup posters.

:ninja:

:wave:

Guest sigfox77
Giants D didnt play that considering all of the TO and the Special teams blunder. Last night the Bucs played without two starting DE and MLB and that defnse still looked respectable.

The Bengals, despite the injuries have taken each loss except NE down to the wire, had a chance to win and didn't. They're still one of the best teams in the league, injuries aside. They just haven't done what it takes to make big plays when it counts and win the close games. Plus I think the coaching/time management has been suspect in those games.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain

[quote name='Cricket' post='386212' date='Nov 14 2006, 08:12 AM']These are the kinds of mistakes that happen when starting posters get injured and are replaced with backup posters.
:ninja:
:wave:[/quote]
[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//24.gif[/img]

[quote name='Hooky' post='386225' date='Nov 14 2006, 10:45 AM']The Bengals, despite the injuries have taken each loss except NE down to the wire, had a chance to win and didn't. They're still one of the best teams in the league, injuries aside. They just haven't done what it takes to make big plays when it counts and win the close games. Plus I think the coaching/time management has been suspect in those games.[/quote]

yes alot of the close games were bad coaching. the one thing the sticks out in my mind is in the falcons game when marvin called a timeout before a kickoff, that timeout could have given us time to come back

Archived