Pollack Possibly Back After All?

Guest IndianaBengal
[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='408389' date='Dec 17 2006, 01:02 PM']On NFL Countdown Chris Mortensen said their is a better chance of Pollack coming back than intially thought, because the surgery will actually make the area stronger than it was prior to the injury.

Good news to hear, I hope everything works out well for him.[/quote]
yeah, Mort said that they are looking to add an additional steel(titanium? plate) to that c6 vertebrae. It looks like things are on the up+up for David. all you nay-sayers, go repent while its still sunday!

Guest oldschooler
Yeah Mort said the same thing yesterday too.

A couple of people mentioned it in this thread...

[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=26040&pid=408280&st=120&#entry408280"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry408280[/url]

Anyway you know what is irking me about all of this ?
That people that cover the Bengals (namely Chick Ludwig) flat out said Pollack`s career
is over. Check that link (page 3) and you`ll see the article he wrote that I posted.
He titled the article Pollack needs surgery, [b]NFL career over[/b]", then starts the article by
saying "Linebacker David Pollack's once-promising NFL career [b]ended[/b] on Thursday
when the Cincinnati Bengals announced he needs surgery to repair his broken neck."
And he never has written another word about him. Curnutte wrote the other day that Marvin
said that surgery doesn`t neccessarily mean Pollack`s career is over, then added quotes from Pollack
where he said if he had to have surgery (bones fused) that he would retire.

I`m sure ESPN will mention more about it during the game tomorrow night.
And some fans that don`t watch ESPN all the time will be saying "WTF?!"

Why in the hell aren`t people that are paid to cover the Bengals giving more
accurate information about Pollack ? It`s seems they are to anxious to write about
bad shit, and mislead the people they`re paid to provide info to !

OK, I`m done bitching now...

[quote name='oldschooler' post='408798' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:26 PM']Yeah Mort said the same thing yesterday too.

[url="http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?showtopic=26040&pid=408280&st=120&#entry408280"]http://forum.go-bengals.com/index.php?show...mp;#entry408280[/url]
That people that cover the Bengals (namely Chick Ludwig) flat out said Pollack`s career
is over. Check that link (page 3) and you`ll see the article he wrote that I posted.
He titled the article Pollack needs surgery, [b]NFL career over[/b]", then starts the article by
saying "Linebacker David Pollack's once-promising NFL career [b]ended[/b] on Thursday
when the Cincinnati Bengals announced he needs surgery to repair his broken neck."
And he never has written another word about him. Curnutte wrote the other day that Marvin
said that surgery doesn`t neccessarily mean Pollack`s career is over, then added quotes from Pollack

accurate information about Pollack ? It`s seems they are to anxious to write about

OK, I`m done bitching now...[/quote]

This is why I dont blame Marvin one bit for treating Ludwig like a piece of shit.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='408798' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:26 PM']Yeah Mort said the same thing yesterday too.

OK, I`m done bitching now...[/quote]

OK, I repent all the bashing saying that Pollack is done. I will just have to wait and see how this surgery will affect him. If this thing can make his neck stronger than it was, then welcome back in mid 2007, Pollack!!!

And you know, I think Cincinnati media just doesn't know how to write about a winner. I mean, we did have the dark Decade and a half, when writing about a piece of shit was more entertaining than writing about how the Bengals gave away another game.

Just like us, it takes time to be accustomed to a consistent winner. They have 15 years of ignorance that they need to work off, then maybe there will be some positive articles.

Watch as everyone jumps on our nuts tomorrow after we succeed in defeating the Colts in their house, and are siiting on top of the wild Card race at 9-5 on the way to 11-5 and being the most feared team in the playoffs.

Of course, they could all be idiots, but that's just me. :whistle:

I don't blame the reporters on this at all. They can only go with the information they have available to them and that would lead to the obvious conclusion that surgery for Pollack effectively ends his career. Pollack himself has said as much and there is nothing wrong with reporters repeating that now that it has been determined that he does need surgery.

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='408827' date='Dec 17 2006, 09:34 PM']I don't blame the reporters on this at all. They can only go with the information they have available to them and that would lead to the obvious conclusion that surgery for Pollack effectively ends his career. Pollack himself has said as much and there is nothing wrong with reporters repeating that now that it has been determined that he does need surgery.[/quote]

Then how is ESPN getting more accurate information that just happens to be positive? And why does Marvin have to start press conferences by correcting inacuracies of the local media's reporting?

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Inigo Montoya' post='408827' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:34 PM']I don't blame the reporters on this at all. They can only go with the information they have available to them and that would lead to the obvious conclusion that surgery for Pollack effectively ends his career. Pollack himself has said as much and there is nothing wrong with reporters repeating that now that it has been determined that he does need surgery.[/quote]

They are paid to report Bengals news, not assume it.
Pollack said if he had to have his bones fused together, that it would make
them weaker and that would basically force him to retire. They assumed
that because he was getting surgery, that he was getting the surgery
that was going to force him to retire.

Mort was able to get accurate info. Why can`t the people that are paid to cover
the Bengals get that same info, or at least pass it on ? That`s bad, lazy journalism.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='408838' date='Dec 17 2006, 09:44 PM']Mort was able to get accurate info. Why can`t the people that are paid to cover
the Bengals get that same info, or at least pass it on ? That`s bad, lazy journalism.[/quote]

Also ESPN at the time said in their release that it would "likely" end his career but didn't rule out the possiblity of a return. When you have uncertain information you include a provisional statement like that.

Pollack should quit while he's still walking. The Chick article sums it up pretty well. Pollack needs surgery and...
[quote]"... no forecast of Pollack's eventual return to football will be made at this time."

Dr. Mannarino said some pro football players are willing to take "a calculated risk" with knee or shoulder injuries, but a neck injury is different.
"They may have an arthritic knee or shoulder as a result of it, and it may even be worth it for the glory of playing in the NFL," he said. "But (if) you come away a paraplegic, there's nothing worth it."[/quote]

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Knucklehead' post='408847' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:57 PM']Pollack should quit while he's still walking. The Chick article sums it up pretty well. Pollack needs surgery and...[/quote]

That whole fucking article is garbage. Chick assumed that Pollack`s career was over.
He assumed that he was having a certain surgery that he isn`t having. He used those
assumptions to get a Doctor to say that if Pollack were to try and come back from THAT
procedure, that he would likely end up a paraplegic.

I don`t want Pollack to come back either if it means there is a greater chance of him
being in a wheel chair. Who would ? No one in the Bengals front Office, no one
in the coaching or training staff, no fan, no doctor, not even Pollack him self would.

Pollack has made it abundantly clear, that if the chances were greater to re-injur his neck,
he wouldn`t come back. Now Pollack, Marvin and the Doctors are saying they are
"cautiously optimistic" that he might be able to come back, with a surgery that would make
his neck stronger and obviously without that risk.

Guest oldschooler

[quote name='sneaky' post='408852' date='Dec 17 2006, 09:07 PM']Anybody see "Million Dollar Baby"? -_-[/quote]

Actually, no I haven`t. So please explain...

Guest BengalsOwn
[quote name='sneaky' post='408799' date='Dec 17 2006, 08:28 PM']This is why I dont blame Marvin one bit for treating Ludwig like a piece of shit.[/quote]

Pollack was quoted as saying that his career was no doubt over if he had to have surgery.

This situation reminds me of LT's character in "Any Given Sunday," except that LT decides to risk serious neck injury just so he can play one more game and pick up a performance incentive. Regardless, I hope The Mighty Pole returns so that two of our recent first-rounders don't end up chronic victims of the injury bug, but only if he is not coerced into returning at his peril.

Guest BlackJesus
[b] [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/angel.gif[/img] I figured since Marvin has been known to cure blindness and leprosy just with his touch ...

That maybe he would give a little extra attention to the area .... [/b]

Guest Bengals1181
[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='408946' date='Dec 17 2006, 11:59 PM']Pollack was quoted as saying that his career was no doubt over if he had to have surgery.[/quote]

but he's having a different surgery than he was talking about in that quote.

Archived