Tubby Smith Leaving UK

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='460922' date='Mar 22 2007, 10:00 PM']randolph can go into the nba draft TRUST me.[/quote]

No he cant...he has already gone through the draft process. He cannot again. Believe me yet?

And if Flordia wins again...and Noah Brewer and Horford leave...there is a possibility Billy could leave to try to revive KY instead of staying in Flordia where he would be fucked next year.

I doubt Calipari would leave especially with Derrick Rose coming in next year. He is a monster.

[quote name='Storm' post='460952' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:22 PM']The window of opportunity for coaching a basketball institution like UK is small, When you are on top and there is an opening you can take the job or possibly regret not taking the job, UK will have no problem filling the job with almost anyone they want[/quote]
That sounds so arrogant Storm, and I'm a UK fan accustomed to arrogance.
The thing your missing with your "window of oppoprtunity" comment is that ALL the traditional programs are suffering from a dispersion of talent to other teams (like your OSU's, Louisville's, Texas A&M's, etc) and as such, the teams like OSU that are not only benefitting from an explosion of talent is that they are out-recruiting teams like UK right now.
UCLA and UK can't both go to the Final Four every year anyway...
Plus, think about this...UCLA won those bunches of championships in the mid-late 1960's and early-mid 1970's, and pretty much didn't sniff greatness again until 1995.
Which do you want? A lot of "down" years with a championship here and there, or continually making the tournament where theoretically you always have a chance?
Anyhoo, I am hopeful for UK's future. I think that it was time to find some new blood.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='JC' post='460962' date='Mar 22 2007, 10:33 PM']No he cant...he has already gone through the draft process. He cannot again. Believe me yet?

And if Flordia wins again...and Noah Brewer and Horford leave...there is a possibility Billy could leave to try to revive KY instead of staying in Flordia where he would be fucked next year.

I doubt Calipari would leave especially with Derrick Rose coming in next year. He is a monster.[/quote]
Billy D isnt leaving.

Thad wouldnt go to UK.

Randolph Morris will enter the draft this year and u will owe me.

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='460898' date='Mar 22 2007, 08:21 PM']LOL, no chance he leaves florida.
U dont change ur style of play just to get a recruit, thats just stupid.
1) Mcroberts leaving is a good thing.

2) Randolph is draft eligible.

3) Wright is OVERRATED he has NO basketball IQ. Some UNC fans were telling me that he is a COMPLETE moron on the court and wont project to much in the NBA because of it.[/quote]

Big chance Billy leaves Florida. Rumor has it that he has a clause in his contract that releases him of his contract if the Kentucky job is open and he is asked to take it.

You do if you lose out on more than one recruit. Which he did.

Randolph is a free agent. He could have signed with any NBA team during the season or even right now. He doesn't need the draft. He can get signed right now as we speak.

Wright is a stud and will be a stud in the NBA. Either way it doesn't matter. Its about what he does at the college level and right now he has his team in the Sweet 16 while UK is at home.

We don't want Thad. He is shady.

Calipari is where it's at. Like they said on Jim Rome today.... he would accept the Kentucky job in a half hour or less. Those recruits can go with him if they choose. I'm sure.

[quote name='oldschooler' post='460889' date='Mar 22 2007, 07:53 PM']Again I don`t have any sense ? When did you say I didn`t have any the first time ?
Yeah, you can rattle off bad stats about Tubby, and try to convince yourself that
he wasn`t "worthy" of Kentucky. But he was a good coach, that did it without
breaking the rules.

Who`s to say that Kentucky isn`t like Notre Dame football now ?
Has a great history and tradition, but just can`t convince the
top recruits that it`s the place to be. Why would a top recruit
pick Kentucky over any other school now ? Because they
used to win titles. Because playing for them used to mean a shot
at a title every season ? Because they are considered a top
basketball school, but their fans put so much pressure on you
and compare you to past greats, that no matter how good you are,
you`re not good enough unless you bring a banner home ?

Fact is, every program has down years. Even in the down years,
Tubby managed to get to the tournament with "less than Duke" talent.

Awwww, fuck what do I care ? I`m not even a Kentucky fan.

I just hate to see a good coach run out of town, because he isn`t
"worthy" of such a great program.

I just hope things get so bad in Kentucky that some fans dream of the days of Tubby.
Whatever coach they do bring in, I hope he either flops hard, or is busted for NCAA
violations and sets the program back a decade.
Now bash away... and tell me how I have no sense...[/quote]

Any coach that accepts the Minnesota job over Kentucky should have never of coached at UK in the first place.

Kentucky has top recruits that want to go there but for whatever reasons they aren't being sought hard. There was a kid that plays for KU now that said that he had four coaches come visit him one day. Of the four Tubby was last. He said it seemed like Tubby didn't even want him. Brandon Wright didn't want to come to UK because of style of play. He was a UK fan.

The fans put on the pressure because he wasn't producing. He hadn't been to a final four with his own players. Tied the longest final four drought in UK history and then broke it this year. How many times do I have to tell you this. Also, are recruiting patterns were terrible. We, basically have no sophomore class. Are class for next year sucks too. Also, numerous team term oils. Most 10+ loss season for any UK coach.

Making the tournament isn't enough. We aren't UC.

Kids want to go to UK because the people down in Lexington treat you like gods. The fan base is unreal. And until OTS came in we had the ability to go and win a national championship ever year.

We will be back. We will get our man. It may take or down year or two but we are interested in the long term not the short term.

Guest A-Men-HouseofPain
[quote name='LeakyBengal' post='461019' date='Mar 23 2007, 12:20 AM']Big chance Billy leaves Florida. Rumor has it that he has a clause in his contract that releases him of his contract if the Kentucky job is open and he is asked to take it.

You do if you lose out on more than one recruit. Which he did.

Randolph is a free agent. He could have signed with any NBA team during the season or even right now. He doesn't need the draft. He can get signed right now as we speak.
[b]
Wright is a stud and will be a stud in the NBA. Either way it doesn't matter. Its about what he does at the college level and right now he has his team in the Sweet 16 while UK is at home.
[/b]
We don't want Thad. He is shady.

Calipari is where it's at. Like they said on Jim Rome today.... he would accept the Kentucky job in a half hour or less. Those recruits can go with him if they choose. I'm sure.[/quote]
Brandan Wright will not be a stud in the NBA. He will be the next marvin williams. all that potential and no brain.

[img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Matta.jpg[/img]

This could be the next king of Lexington!

I will officially declare myself as the president of the "Bring Thad to Lexington Capaign"

Guest LeakyBengal
[quote name='Storm' post='461035' date='Mar 22 2007, 11:46 PM'][img]http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/21/Matta.jpg[/img]
This could be the next king of Lexington!
I will officially declare myself as the president of the "Bring Thad to Lexington Capaign"[/quote]

I don't want him.... god I don't want him. He's ugly and has the boosters in his back pocket. I want to win legitimately.

thad would leave osu in heartbeat, if some other school was able to outbid osu. the problem is that they cant, and that they wont. uk's pockets arent nearly as deep as osu's.

osu + $ = thad
osu + thad = top notch recruits
thad + top notch recruits = national championship BABY!

thad shows no loyalty whatsoever and hes already proven that when he was with xavier, so lets just face the facts, your "basketball institution" wont be able to outpay ohio state and thad matta isnt going anywhere.

good luck rebuilding your program.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='461046' date='Mar 23 2007, 05:06 AM']i dont see how people can be huge fans of a college they never attended...[/quote]

Same way a person is a fan of a pro football team they never played for

Guest oldschooler
I heard on ESPN that the top candidates for the job are the dude from Marquette and I can`t remember the
other guy right now. I`m still half asleep...

[quote name='Nati Ice' post='461052' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:36 AM']thad would leave osu in heartbeat, if some other school was able to outbid osu. the problem is that they cant, and that they wont. uk's pockets arent nearly as deep as osu's.

osu + $ = thad
osu + thad = top notch recruits
thad + top notch recruits = national championship BABY!

thad shows no loyalty whatsoever and hes already proven that when he was with xavier, so lets just face the facts, your "basketball institution" wont be able to outpay ohio state and thad matta isnt going anywhere.

good luck rebuilding your program.[/quote]

Who was the highest paid coach in all of college basketball?

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='461106' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:15 AM']Who was the highest paid coach in all of college basketball?[/quote]

Tubby, but Thad is the 3rd highest, and this run he has put on in the tournament,
will make his salary go up.

Thad ain`t going anywhere. He gets everything Kentucky has to offer at Ohio State,
minus all the pressure.

[quote name='A-Men-HouseofPain' post='460986' date='Mar 22 2007, 11:02 PM']Randolph Morris will enter the draft this year and u will owe me.[/quote]

[quote name='Dan_Bengals_NJ' post='460988' date='Mar 22 2007, 11:04 PM']If he chooses to go pro Randolph Morris can go through the NBA draft.[/quote]

Wrong.

Due to a loophole in the NBA and NCAA rules, Morris, who declared for the draft, was permitted by the NCAA to return to the college game, but the NBA's collective bargaining agreement prohibited his re-entry into a future draft, which legally makes Morris an NBA free agent, who could be signed at any time by any team, and he could leave Kentucky in the middle of the season if he desires

[url="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Randolph_Morris"]Go to the controversy section[/url]

Right below the college section. He cannot enter the draft.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='oldschooler' post='461105' date='Mar 23 2007, 07:15 AM']I heard on ESPN that the top candidates for the job are the dude from Marquette and I can`t remember the
other guy right now. I`m still half asleep...[/quote]

Mark Few of Gonzaga is the other guy they mentioned.

Anyway...

[quote]"Even when you win it's not enough at Kentucky."

"I don't know why anybody would want this job now," Crum said. "It's almost impossible to please the people. With the balance the way it is around the country and all of that stuff, there are so many good teams and players and good coaches. Kentucky is never going to dominate again like they did at one time."

"I like Tubby, and I think he was good for Kentucky," former UK coach Joe B. Hall said. "He had a couple of bad years, and in my views they were explainable. If he would have stayed, I think he could have pulled himself out of it in the next couple of years.

"But it's tough when you have double-digit loss (seasons). You just can't survive at Kentucky unless you are up there in the top of the national picture (every year), and that's something that's really not practical. Not today."[/quote]

[url="http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070323/SPORTS03/703230531/1002"]http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.d.../703230531/1002[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='461108' date='Mar 23 2007, 08:18 AM']Tubby, but Thad is the 3rd highest, and this run he has put on in the tournament,
will make his salary go up.

Thad ain`t going anywhere. He gets everything Kentucky has to offer at Ohio State,
minus all the pressure.[/quote]

I understand what you mean. However the logic of Nati's statement that I replied to was flawed which is why I replied. Using your own link: [url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/basketball_contracts/flash.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/ba...racts/flash.htm[/url]
The bonus Thad is to get wont bring him close to Tubby's pay. And you just know that OSU is going to up their pay? Is this a contract year? Even so how do you know where the haggling is going? I don't see the logic behind the agruement.

Sure, I understand what you mean about pressure. UK and its fan base do expect to win, all the time. Also though, the school is one of the best programs in the nation. If it wasn't worth it, why would we get top notch coaches when in need? I think it's because the pros out way the cons by far. Recruiting is easier, showcasing your talents as coach is noticed more at this venue, and its a great place if you want to be treated like a god.

Some people ask why would a recruit want to come to Kentucky? To be honest, your talking about high school seniors here. All they want is to have some kick parties, get laid by a hottie, be treaded like a god, and show off their skills to the pros in hopes of being drafted. All things considered, there isn't a handful of teams that can offer what Kentucky can.

[quote name='WhoDeyUK' post='460799' date='Mar 22 2007, 05:37 PM']I am no UK fan, but Tubby leaving UK reminds me of Coop leaving OSU football. Both Tubby and Coop are good coaches, but neither could live up to or achieve what is necessary to satisfy their respective fan base.

Unlike Cooper, Tubby did win a title though.[/quote]

Bingo.

Tubby is not a bum and didn't birng us down to mid major level, that's just dumb.

Tubby did not live up to Kentucky standards either. Let him go off to Big 10 land to a program that will just be satisfied with consistent Tournament Appearances.

We hang banners in Kentucky or we bitch until someone is fired. I don't expect outside fans to understand that. In Kentucky you can be a good basketball coach and still fail that's the way it is and it is the way it should be.

Give us No. 8 or get out.

Guest bengalrick
[quote name='scharm' post='461189' date='Mar 23 2007, 10:33 AM']Bingo.

Tubby is not a bum and didn't birng us down to mid major level, that's just dumb.

Tubby did not live up to Kentucky standards either. Let him go off to Big 10 land to a program that will just be satisfied with consistent Tournament Appearances.
We hang banners in Kentucky or we bitch until someone is fired. I don't expect outside fans to understand that. In Kentucky you can be a good basketball coach and still fail that's the way it is and it is the way it should be.

Give us No. 8 or get out.[/quote]

very good post... i couldn't (and didn't) say it better myself... he is not the best coach we ever had, and we did fall somewhat from rick pitino's days, but we were also the dynasty in the latter days when he was here... we were bound to fall somewhat, and it hasn't been castrotrophic...

the key is that he is gone, but who is going to replace him... if we were to get a GREAT coach, that would certainly help the healing process for me right now... its too early to know who we are looking at, but there have to be some big names waiting in line for the job imo...

I never cared who they call coach at Kentucky. I support them all while they are here. I'll root for Tubby at his new gig.

But, Kentucky is Kentucy and although our Lows are some programs Highs there is 1 thing you are measured by and that really only lasts a short time until the next Banner is hung.

Although it looks bad for Tubby today, years from now he'll get his respect for what he did and getting No. 7. I don't care what bad things people say about him that tournament win over Duke in 1998 still brings chills down my back.

It was time to move on.

Guest oldschooler
[quote name='Bengals_12th_Man' post='461187' date='Mar 23 2007, 09:30 AM']I understand what you mean. However the logic of Nati's statement that I replied to was flawed which is why I replied. Using your own link: [url="http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/basketball_contracts/flash.htm"]http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/ba...racts/flash.htm[/url]
The bonus Thad is to get wont bring him close to Tubby's pay. And you just know that OSU is going to up their pay? Is this a contract year? Even so how do you know where the haggling is going? I don't see the logic behind the agruement.[/quote]

[quote][size=5][b]Ohio State notebook: Kentucky hasn't asked OSU yet to speak to Matta [/b][/size]
Friday, March 23, 2007 7:37 AM
By Bob Baptist and Rob Oller

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

SAN ANTONIO -- Two questions were foremost on the minds of Ohio State fans before an NCAA South Regional semifinal game last night in the Alamodome.

Would the Buckeyes beat Tennessee and advance to the Elite Eight?

Is Kentucky interested in OSU coach Thad Matta?

Ohio State athletic director Gene Smith said before the game that Kentucky had not contacted him for permission to discuss the job with Matta. But Smith acknowledged it was early in the process, the job having become available only yesterday afternoon when Tubby Smith resigned suddenly to go to Minnesota.

[b]Gene Smith said he had no reason to believe Matta would be interested in Kentucky but added that he and Matta have not discussed "hypothetical" situations.

"I just think our job is a better job" than Kentucky's, Gene Smith said, "because of the hard work (Matta) and his staff have done."[/b]

Matta was unavailable for comment before the game.

Ohio State hired Matta in July 2004 after he spent three seasons at Xavier. Matta signed his first contract in March 2005, for eight years and more than $11 million in guaranteed income.

[b]After speculation last season about Indiana having interest in Matta to fill its vacancy, Ohio State renegotiated the contract. Matta signed a new deal in November worth $18.6 million in guaranteed income over nine years.[/b][/quote]

[url="http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/sports/stories/2007/03/23/osu_notes23.ART_ART_03-23-07_G12_D165Q6G.html"]http://www.dispatch.com/dispatch/content/s...12_D165Q6G.html[/url]

I also read somewhere that if he takes them to the Elite 8, Final 4... ect, that his other
bonuses and stuff kick in.

Guest Patmo
[quote name='Jason' post='460680' date='Mar 22 2007, 03:48 PM']Per Lance on 1530Homer.[/quote]

Best of luck to Tubby.He won't have to listen to those Yahoo's anymore.Class guy and terrific coach.
I think that UK is going to get a coach but what quality guy would take the job.Maybe Pat Summit will be the new coach.

Guest bengalrick

[quote name='Patmo' post='461295' date='Mar 23 2007, 01:40 PM']Best of luck to Tubby.He won't have to listen to those Yahoo's anymore.Class guy and terrific coach.
I think that UK is going to get a coach but what quality guy would take the job.Maybe Pat Summit will be the new coach.[/quote]

yeah, i'm pretty sure UK won't shut it down next year Patmo... we'll get a coach :lol:

90% of the coaches in the nation would quit their job right now at a chance to coach at a school w/ the tradition UK has...

Archived