Depth Chart Changes (Besides Geathers)

Some interesting stuff in the newly-released depth chart (beyond Geathers running with the first team, that everyone's talking about):

WR1 (Behind Chad):

- Tab
- Holt
- Green
- Brazell

WR2 (Behind TJ):

- McNeal
- Chatman
- Holley
- Henry (no surprise)

COMMENT: I think Chatman, unless he gets healthy and shows something, is a goner. McNeal's got a decent shot, and Green, if he improves on KRs the next few games, gets a job.

TE (behind Kelly):

- Coats
- Nate Lawrie
- Erik Jensen
- Tim Day

COMMENT: I think Day's a PS guy. If they keep 3, Lawrie makes it, along with Coats.

Whitworth running #2 at LG and LT

LE:

- Geathers
- B-Rob
- Rucker

RDT:

- Thornton
- Allen
- Toeaina

COMMENT: This one will be interesting. Both Allen and Toeaina did some good things last week.

RE:

- Smith
- Fanene
- Jackson

COMMENT: Fanene's got the team made, I think. Jackson goes on the PS.

SLB:

- Jeanty
- Frazier
- Henderson

COMMENT: Frazier was great the other night, and is a better prospect than Wilkins, who could only play STs. With his size and playmaking ability, Frazier has a shot to play on D, especially rushing the passer from the OLB position.

MLB:

- Brooks
- Hartwell (switched from WLB)

COMMENT: Not surprised... I don't think Hartwell's fast enough to play outside.

WLB:

- Landon
- Miller (switch from MLB)
- Everett

COMMENT: I like Landon and all, but I wouldn't be surprised if Caleb overtook him. Miller has been moved around so much, if they let him settle on one position, he could do some things.

LCB (behind Deltha):

- Hall
- Brandon Williams
- Blue Adams

COMMENT: I see Adams as a possible PUP or IR candidate, and Williams, I'd guess, is in the mix with Keiwan for a spot. He's faster than Keiwan, and I think he could be a good gunner on STs. Fast as hell.

FS (behind Madieu):

- Marvin White
- Indiana Jones
- Val Kilmer

COMMENT: The next few games should be interesting. As much as I like Kilmer, he, Indiana, and Busing are in a scrum for the backup S/ST spot. I think it's between Busing and Indiana for a position, as I think Kilmer's already got one.

SS (behind Dexter):

- Ndukwe
- Busing

Moving Hartwell behind brooks, interesting, I wonder if he has just had a hard time catching on at WILL.

if it comes down between Allen and Toeaina (id like to keep both) I think Id prefer Toeaina simply because he's younger and is already signed for more than one year at pennies.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='527367' date='Aug 13 2007, 10:59 PM']Moving Hartwell behind brooks, interesting, I wonder if he has just had a hard time catching on at WILL.

if it comes down between Allen and Toeaina (id like to keep both) I think Id prefer Toeaina simply because he's younger and is already signed for more than one year at pennies.[/quote]
knotted up between losing a step and having never recovered from injury. the guy seems alright and looks "good" but something isnt right there.

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='527367' date='Aug 13 2007, 10:59 PM']Moving Hartwell behind brooks, interesting, I wonder if he has just had a hard time catching on at WILL.

if it comes down between Allen and Toeaina (id like to keep both) I think Id prefer Toeaina simply because he's younger and is already signed for more than one year at pennies.[/quote]

I think, and this is just a guess, that when they brought Hartwell in they thought he would have a good chance to win the starting WLB job. But Landon has played so well, it's his job now. As such, they want Hartwell at his more accustomed MLB(/ILB) position.

[quote name='BlackJesus' post='527381' date='Aug 13 2007, 10:46 PM'][font="Arial Narrow"][size=3][b]What happened to LDT ?
[i](not listed) [/b][/size][/font][/i][/quote]

I only listed the ones that were most interesting to me. At LDT, it's Peko starting, and Myers running 2nd team. We already knew that... but I think Myers will still play quite a bit.

[quote name='Jason' post='527420' date='Aug 14 2007, 05:51 AM']I think, and this is just a guess, that when they brought Hartwell in they thought he would have a good chance to win the starting WLB job. But Landon has played so well, it's his job now. As such, they want Hartwell at his more accustomed MLB(/ILB) position.[/quote]

I think that's plausible re: Hartwell not being able to unseat Landon. Another thought is, he's more of a thumper than Miller is at MLB, with more size, so moving both players as backups plays to both player's strength more (Miller's relative lack of size and lots of speed at WLB, Hartwell's size and more limited mobility).

[quote name='GoBengals' post='527371' date='Aug 13 2007, 11:06 PM']knotted up between losing a step and having never recovered from injury. the guy seems alright and looks "good" but something isnt right there.[/quote]

[quote name='Jason' post='527420' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:51 AM']I think, and this is just a guess, that when they brought Hartwell in they thought he would have a good chance to win the starting WLB job. But Landon has played so well, it's his job now. As such, they want Hartwell at his more accustomed MLB(/ILB) position.[/quote]

[quote name='texbengal' post='527423' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:59 AM']I think that's plausible re: Hartwell not being able to unseat Landon. Another thought is, he's more of a thumper than Miller is at MLB, with more size, so moving both players as backups plays to both player's strength more (Miller's relative lack of size and lots of speed at WLB, Hartwell's size and more limited mobility).[/quote]

If he isnt going to beat out landon I like the move because if Brooks gets hurt, I would rather have hartwell in the middle than Caleb, not that I dont mind caleb, but he is undersized a bit and i agree his talents from a speed standpoint suit him better at WILL.

[quote name='texbengal' post='527422' date='Aug 14 2007, 06:56 AM']I only listed the ones that were most interesting to me. At LDT, it's Peko starting, and Myers running 2nd team. We already knew that... but I think Myers will still play quite a bit.[/quote]

Myers is possibly the best DT on our roster. He will be starting by the end of the season.

[quote name='fredtoast' post='527477' date='Aug 14 2007, 10:44 AM']Myers is possibly the best DT on our roster. He will be starting by the end of the season.[/quote]

Agreed, although if Peko refines his technique he could be the best soon. Last year, Peko's pass rush looked like an untrained boxer wildly swinging his arms. Hopefully he can refine that and become a solid starter.

For now though, Myers is most definitely #1. Did you see him in the Detroit game? The interior Lion O-line could not move him back at all. The best they could do was pivot him to one side, and that was to the play side, so he could trip up the RB. Not getting pushed back 3 yards before shedding the block like Thornton (although I admit he stays on his feet well and is good at shedding after the initial surge).

Archived