Dirtyburgh Stoolers

Tigers Johnson

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='600252' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:35 AM']I"m iffy on it, Wouldn't surprise me if it was intentional, but I think its more likely that his right leg slipped in the mud and tried to gain footing on whatever he could with his left.[/quote]

Not that Terrel Davis is the be all end all, but he said it was intentional when he was doing the highlights on NFLN and said the league will take a look at it.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600269' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:51 AM']He didn't "slip", he intentionally stomped on the guy's back so he didn't have an opportunity to at least raise up to fight for the loose ball. Dirty ass play - thought that as soon as I saw it and then confirmed it to me when I saw the replay.[/quote]

If there was ever a team that deserved "bad karma" it is the Steelers...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='600272' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:53 AM']yea... definetly shifty play... but what do you expect from them?

im scared to death with carson going to that bullshit field next week... they better be ripping that shit up as we speak... jackasses.[/quote]
Doubtful as the Panthers play WV there Saturday I believe. Not enough time.

I mean christ, how much rain did they receive? Could you not put a tarp over it? It should drain better than that. It is one thing when it gets so cold for an extended period of time that the grass goes dormant but it hasn't been that cold yet.

But, they're probably intentionally doing it like NE has always done when they play Indy - let the grass grow extra long, water the hell out of it, etc. to make it a slower track to take away perceived speed advantages in the passing / receiving game.

NE has done that for years whenever they hosted Indy. I remember the one year it was middle November and cold as hell - they were watering the field from like Wednesday of that week until like late Saturday night just to get it as soggy as possible.

Why would you be watering in the middle of November?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600277' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:05 AM']Doubtful as the Panthers play WV there Saturday I believe. Not enough time.

I mean christ, how much rain did they receive? Could you not put a tarp over it? It should drain better than that. It is one thing when it gets so cold for an extended period of time that the grass goes dormant but it hasn't been that cold yet.

But, they're probably intentionally doing it like NE has always done when they play Indy - let the grass grow extra long, water the hell out of it, etc. to make it a slower track to take away perceived speed advantages in the passing / receiving game.

NE has done that for years whenever they hosted Indy. I remember the one year it was middle November and cold as hell - they were watering the field from like Wednesday of that week until like late Saturday night just to get it as soggy as possible.

Why would you be watering in the middle of November?[/quote]

I believe they did have a tarp over it....they had high school games there friday...USF vs. Pitt there Saturday and then the Monday night game.....With that many games and this time of year....how in the world did they think the field would look?

I remember a few years ago the league mandated the Patriots to get field turf...lets see if the league holds the same stance with the Golden child franchise... :rolleyes:

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600277' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:05 AM']Doubtful as the Panthers play WV there Saturday I believe. Not enough time.

Why would you be watering in the middle of November?[/quote]

there had been 7 games there in 11 days, and they had just stupidly placed sod overtop of the existing field. They got a shitload of rain yesterday.

And yea, I'm sure the stealers were INTENTIONALLY trying to level the playing field between them and the dolphins. jeesh.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='600279' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:10 AM']there had been 7 games there in 11 days, and they had just stupidly placed sod overtop of the existing field. They got a shitload of rain yesterday.

And yea, I'm sure the stealers were INTENTIONALLY trying to level the playing field between them and the dolphins. jeesh.[/quote]
hey - smart guy, I wasn't implying them trying to slow it down for Miami... I was referring to Sunday night's game against Cincy. The worse shape the turf gets in that game, they'll probably not have it fixed for the Bengals game. Which, would then bring the track into question.

And, you just implied that they were stupid enough to place sod right over existing field, yet you're giving them enough sense to make the judgement not to impair the field against the Dolphins.

Oh yeah - and the Dolphins only have the fastest player in the NFL returning kicks in Ginn, Jr. But, hell what do I know. They could very easily determine that with Pitt's defense Miami's only legit chance to score points would be in the kicking game and that would at least help defense that. And, Pitt's offense - other than Parker, isn't exactly a bunch of speed merchants.

But, what the hell - you're right. What do I know?

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600289' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:26 AM']hey - smart guy, I wasn't implying them trying to slow it down for Miami... I was referring to Sunday night's game against Cincy. The worse shape the turf gets in that game, they'll probably not have it fixed for the Bengals game. Which, would then bring the track into question.

And, you just implied that they were stupid enough to place sod right over existing field, yet you're giving them enough sense to make the judgement not to impair the field against the Dolphins.

Oh yeah - and the Dolphins only have the fastest player in the NFL returning kicks in Ginn, Jr. But, hell what do I know. They could very easily determine that with Pitt's defense Miami's only legit chance to score points would be in the kicking game and that would at least help defense that. And, Pitt's offense - other than Parker, isn't exactly a bunch of speed merchants.

But, what the hell - you're right. What do I know?[/quote]

settle down nancy. I hate the stealers as much as the next guy, but anyone who watched updates throughout the day or during the game saw the rain that was coming down. To think that they intentionally sabotoged their own team while they were playing a completely inferior team is just silly.

I"m sure the stealers weren't that concerned about Ginn and his 2 career TDs.

Afterall, the stealers only had one of the top rushers in the league going against one of the worst rushing D's in the league. It makes perfect sense to neutralize that advantage. :rolleyes:

[quote][size=5][b]Soaked field angers Steelers owner[/b][/size]
Posted on Tue, Nov. 27, 2007
BY JEFF DARLINGTON
jdarlington@MiamiHerald.com

Steelers owner Dan Rooney stood in a hidden corner of the press box at Heinz Field before Monday's game as several inches of rain dumped onto something that was supposed to resemble a playing surface.

''What's going on with this field?'' Rooney, clearly unhappy, blasted into a walkie-talkie.

Good question, Mr. Rooney. This game was a mess long before the Dolphins even got involved. Lightning delayed the start nearly 30 minutes.

During the delay, a maintenance crew attempted desperately to make something of the yard lines that had been washed almost entirely away, even attempting to paint over puddles on the field.

By halftime, the rain continued to fall, but the field was in better condition than it was at the start of the game.[/quote]

[url="http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/322080.html"]http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/322080.html[/url]

[quote name='oldschooler' post='600296' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:43 AM'][url="http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/322080.html"]http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/football/story/322080.html[/url][/quote]

I think Tomlin made it lightning so that the game would be delayed, and that the Dolphins would be more tired. He had given his team a nap during the day in anticipation.

:ninja:

[quote][size=5][b]Steelers, NFL should be ashamed of conditions[/b][/size]
[size=3][b]Steelers, Dolphins forced to play on horrible, 'ugly' Heinz Field[/b][/size]
MSNBC contributor
updated 1:07 a.m. CT, Tues., Nov. 27, 2007

Mike Celizic

There is no excuse — none — for the conditions the pissburgh Steelers provided for their game Monday Night against the Miami Dolphins. It was a travesty of football and an insult to the NFL, the players, the fans, and anyone who turned on a television in the hopes of enjoying Monday Night Football.

It was a disgrace.

The announcers kept talking about old-school football and summoning the names of the Chicago Staleys and Canton Bulldogs from the earliest days of the league, but that was an insult to those teams and those times. I’ve seen old-school football in old Cleveland Stadium in the days before modern drainage and turf science. Those games were played in mud. This one was played in a bog.

“It was ugly,” Steeler quarterback Ben Roethlisberger said of his team’s 3-0 win over Miami, but that was an injustice to the concept of ugly. This game was to ugly what a can of Spaghetti-O’s is to dinner at Rao’s in New York. It was beyond ugly, beyond hideous, beyond unwatchable. Anyone who voluntarily sat through Monday night’s game without a rooting interest has a threshold of boredom that’s off the charts.

Roethlisberger said the field was the worst he’s ever played on and called it “ridiculous.” And this was his home field he was talking about.

Give the man credit for honesty. It was and is ridiculous that in this day and age an NFL football team can not provide a fit field to play on.

This isn’t about bad weather or unforeseen calamity. The caretakers of Heinz Field knew exactly what was coming and they couldn’t cope with it. They had four high school games last Friday and a Pitt college game on Saturday, a schedule that left the field in tatters. With the Steelers due to play on Monday night and bad weather moving in, they didn’t replace the existing field; they laid new sod on top of it

Doing nothing at all would have been better. At least then the battered old field would have drained. We would have had bare spots and some mud, although not a lot. Modern fields are built on a sandy base on top of gravel and drainage beds that can suck up four inches of rain an hour or more. But lay two inches of sod on top of that and you have what we saw Monday night — a field that even the Canton Bulldogs would have found to be unplayable.

Why the NFL allows such travesties is a mystery. The league fines players for an untucked shirt tail. It dictates the size of logos, tells players when they have to be available to the media, lays enormous fines on a coach caught cheating.

But it can’t demand that a team provide a playable field?

Nothing is more important to the game than the field. I can’t believe I even had to write that sentence, because it’s as obvious as a zit on a prom queen’s nose. But the NFL apparently doesn’t get it.

The league had to know what was going on in pissburgh with the field. It had to have the ability to save the Steelers from themselves and the game from the embarrassment of Monday night.

It’s not as if lousy field conditions are something new at Heinz Field, which has consistently had one of the worst fields in the league ever since it opened. This isn’t an ancient hulk of a stadium; it’s practically brand-new. There simply is no excuse for not being able to provide a decent field.

I applaud the Steelers for wanting to have a grass field. There aren’t that many of them around, and they remain the best of all surfaces. But other teams have had the same problems pissburgh has had with grass, most notably the Jets and Giants, who share a stadium in New Jersey.

Originally, Giants Stadium had an Astroturf field laid over asphalt, a surface that proved to be perhaps the worst ever invented. The stadium finally switched to grass, but that surface couldn't stand up to the Jets and Giants sharing the field along with high school championships and the occasional Army-Navy game. Summer rock concerts didn’t help, either.

The Jets and Giants and their landlords, the N.J. Sports and Exposition Authority, tried every technology possible to make grass work, including installing a modular field put together of hexagonal pallets that could be replaced as the surface wore out. It was an ingenious solution with just one tiny drawback — it didn’t work.

Unwilling to continue providing the worst field in the league, the Jets and giants finally switched to FieldTurf, the most grass-like and player-friendly surface now in use. New England, unhappy with the condition f its grass field, also switched to FieldTurf.

I appreciate the Steelers’ desire to play on grass, but it’s not working. And if the team won’t take steps to change to a field that remains playable — we’re talking FieldTurf here — then the league, which governs everything about the game, has to step in and order the change.

Otherwise, one day this is going to happen in the playoffs, and that’s not what anyone wants.[/quote]

[url="http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21985084/"]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21985084/[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Williams' debut ends after injury[/b][/size]

By TIM GRAHAM

Palm Beach Post Staff Writer

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

pissburgh — Ricky Williams came back. A few minutes later, he was out of the game.

The former NFL rushing leader made his return Monday night but was able to carry the ball only six times in the Dolphins' 3-0 loss to pissburgh at sloppy Heinz Field.

Williams didn't start, but he got in early and gained 15 yards against the NFL's top rush defense. He gained two of Miami's three first downs in the first half before leaving the game with a pectoral injury in the second quarter.

Dolphins quarterback John Beck said Williams' right arm was in a sling after the game, but Williams was nowhere to be found when the locker room was opened to the media.

"That's why I was being very day-to-day and cautious," Dolphins coach Cam Cameron said of activating Williams, who hadn't played for the Dolphins since the end of the 2005 season. "My No. 1 concern coming into the game was if you hurry the guy back he can get hurt.

"We don't know the full extent of the injury, but it's a pectoral injury. He couldn't play anymore."

The Steelers also knocked starting running back Jesse Chatman out of the game. He suffered a neck injury in the third quarter, leaving Patrick Cobbs the only healthy running back.

The Dolphins scratched rookie Lorenzo Booker before the game and waived Samkon Gado to make room for Williams on the 53-man roster.

Beck said the revolving backfield made play-calling more difficult.

"It is a little tough with trying to do formations, trying to have personnel groups when you have a rotation like that where you didn't know what was going on," Beck said. "But I felt both of them (Williams and Chatman) had runs that definitely helped the team."

The NFL last week reinstated Williams after an 18-month suspension for repeated violations of the substance-abuse policy. He completed a league-mandated rehabilitation program at a Boston facility during the summer.

Williams finally returned to the field on Miami's second possession with less than two minutes left in the first quarter.

The Dolphins put their faith in him straight away. On a third-and-4 play, Beck handed the ball to him for a 5-yard burst up the middle to keep the series alive.

Cameron called for a handoff to Williams on each of his first three plays and five of his first seven.

It was on the seventh play he fumbled. Williams lie prostrate, his legs wrapped up, as he watched the ball roll away. pissburgh linebacker Lawrence Timmons broke for the recovery, stepping squarely on Williams' right shoulder blade.

Williams trotted back out for the next possession, but came out after three plays. He went into the locker room with about six minutes to go in the first half to have his shoulder examined.

Chatman struggled throughout the game until he was sidelined in the third quarter by a vicious helmet-on-helmet collision with Steelers safety Anthony Smith. An ankle injury limited Chatman in practice all week, and it seemed to affect him in the game. On his first three carries he failed to get past the line of scrimmage.

He ran for zero or minus yards on seven of his 11 carries. His lone reception was for minus-4 yards.[/quote]

[url="http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/content/sports/epaper/2007/11/27/z7c_ricky_side_1127.html"]http://www.palmbeachpost.com/dolphins/cont..._side_1127.html[/url]

[quote][size=5][b]Steelers seem vulnerable[/b][/size]
Tuesday, November 27, 2007
By Bob Smizik, pissburgh Post-Gazette

The Miami Dolphins, once a premier NFL franchise but now hobbled by injury and ineptitude, staggered into Heinz Field last night without a win and, as a 16-point underdog, little hope of finding one. But as might be expected against the suddenly very vulnerable Steelers, a tightly played football game broke out.

The hapless Dolphins, who have lost their leading rusher and starting quarterback to injury and their best receiver to a trade, battled the Steelers evenly for 59 minutes, 43 seconds only to lose, 3-0 last night, on a 24-yard field goal by Jeff Reed.

Weather conditions were horrible as the new sod put down on Heinz Field became a soggy mess through an all-day rain.

"Worse field I ever played on," Miami safety Cameron Worrell said.

But all the Dolphins were quick to point out the conditions favored neither team.

In view of this performance, there have to be grave doubts about the Steelers the rest of the way. The rosy prediction, here and elsewhere, about the team, look grossly unfounded today. It was one thing to lose eight days earlier to the one-win New York Jets. Those kinds of upsets, particularly on the road, are fairly standard in the NFL. It's quite another to play so poorly at home against a team that has been wrecked by injuries and without a win.

What was especially alarming was the five sacks the Steelers gave up to the Dolphins, a team that had only 12 in its first 10 games. The sacking of Ben Roethlisberger is becoming commonplace and does not bode well for the remainder of the season.

No one was having more fun for most of the game than former Steelers linebacker and defensive captain Joey Porter, who left after last season as a free agent when the Steelers showed no interest in re-signing him.

Porter was his typical self -- loud, demonstrative and effective. He had eight tackles and intercepted a Roethlisberger pass on the first possession of the game and returned it 14 yards. When the play was over, Porter strutted and pranced in front of the Steelers' bench while clutching the treasured football. It was an act that might have prompted a taunting penalty, but the officials did not call it.

"I was just trying to have some fun," Porter said.

Porter, always one of the most popular Steelers, mixed amicably with some of his former teammates before the game and exchanged hugs before the coin toss. He maintained coming back to Heinz Field was nothing special.

"It was what I expected. I knew I was coming into a hostile environment. I knew what it was going to be like. I told the guys not to do anything different."

Concerning competing against his former teammates, Porter said, "I saw them before the game. I'm on the other side now. It is what it is."

He was poised to record a sack in the second quarter but before he could, Roethlisberger was brought down from behind by defensive end Quentin Moses.

It was a credit to the Miami defense that it held off the Steelers much of the game. Blessed with superlative field position, mostly the result of Miami being unable to move the ball, the Steelers could not put together a scoring drive until the final minutes.

"Our defense has given us a chance to win every week," coach Cam Cameron said. "We've got to get our offense back to where it was earlier in the season."

After scoring 31 against Cleveland and 28 against New England, the Dolphins have scored only three touchdowns in their past four games.

The Dolphins' best scoring chance came early in the fourth quarter when they moved to the Steelers' 20. Jay Feely's field-goal attempt was blocked, but there was a delay-of-game penalty before the kick. Given the option to try again from where there appeared to be more solid ground but 5 yards farther back, Cameron opted not to.

"We were concerned about the distance and the field," he said. "Considering that and because we thought we had a good play, we decided to go for it."

Rookie quarterback John Beck was sacked and fumbled on the next play.

Feely was lobbying Cameron to kick a second time.

Asked about his chances, he said, "In those conditions, about 50-50, but I wanted to try."

It was a bitter defeat for the Dolphins (0-11), who lost for the fifth time by three points.

"I thought we could shock the world tonight," said Porter. "I really thought we could win."

They came about as close as possible to doing just that.

Bob Smizik can be reached at bsmizik@post-gazette.com.[/quote]

[url="http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07331/837075-194.stm"]http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07331/837075-194.stm[/url]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='600291' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:31 AM']settle down nancy. I hate the stealers as much as the next guy, but anyone who watched updates throughout the day or during the game saw the rain that was coming down. To think that they intentionally sabotoged their own team while they were playing a completely inferior team is just silly.

[b]I"m sure the stealers weren't that concerned about Ginn and his 2 career TDs.[/b]

Afterall, the stealers only had one of the top rushers in the league going against one of the worst rushing D's in the league. It makes perfect sense to neutralize that advantage. :rolleyes:

I think Tomlin made it lightning so that the game would be delayed, and that the Dolphins would be more tired. He had given his team a nap during the day in anticipation.

:ninja:[/quote]
Would you have been more concerned with that or a hurt Jesse Chatman and rookie John Beck?

Tomlin comment - don't be a jackass... let me make sure I [b]:ninja rolleyes:[/b] so you think I'm joking.

[quote name='BengalBeotch' post='600301' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:50 AM']Didn't look like an accident to me........ [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons//39.gif[/img][/quote]
Ask 1181 - he has the answers.

Dan Rooney, the Steelers president doesn't, but 1181 does...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600308' date='Nov 27 2007, 10:59 AM']Would you have been more concerned with that or a hurt Jesse Chatman and rookie John Beck?

Tomlin comment - don't be a jackass... let me make sure I [b]:ninja rolleyes:[/b] so you think I'm joking.

Ask 1181 - he has the answers.

Dan Rooney, the Steelers president doesn't, but 1181 does...[/quote]

if you have a personal problem with me, feel free to PM me.

Sorry that I called you out for claiming that the stealers would intentionally try and NEUTRALIZE their advantages over a clearly inferior team. I'm sure that they purposely took Willie Parker out of their gameplan.

I agree that the Steelers didn't do this on purpose. They aren't scared of Ted Ginn. The conditions hurt them just as much as it would have hurt Miami... even moreso since they actually have a good offense, whereas Miami has a pathetic offense. If anything the conditions helped Miami level the playing field.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='600311' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:02 AM']I agree that the Steelers didn't do this on purpose. They aren't scared of Ted Ginn. The conditions hurt them just as much as it would have hurt Miami... even moreso since they actually have a good offense, whereas Miami has a pathetic offense. [b]If anything the conditions helped Miami level the playing field.[/b][/quote]

at least someone else gets it.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='600312' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:04 AM']at least someone else gets it.[/quote]
You're right. I'm an idiot and don't "get it".

[quote]I wasn't implying them trying to slow it down for Miami... I was referring to Sunday night's game against Cincy. The worse shape the turf gets in that game, they'll probably not have it fixed for the Bengals game. Which, would then bring the track into question.[/quote]

As I stated in the previous post - I don't think they intentionally did anything for last night's game. But the sloppier the field gets from use the worse it gets for the Bengals game. And, I firmly believe it'd be in pissburgh's best interest to slow down the field against our WR's and passing game...

Wouldn't you?

Archived