Dirtyburgh Stoolers

Tigers Johnson

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600315' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:08 AM']You're right. I'm an idiot and don't "get it".

As I stated in a previous post - I don't think they intentionally did anything for last night's game. But the sloppier the field gets from use the worse it gets for the Bengals game. And, I firmly believe it'd be in pissburgh's best interest to slow down the field against our WR's and passing game...

[b]Wouldn't you?[/b][/quote]

not really. They've never had issues manning up against our offense before. I'd think they care more about NOT neutralizing their running game, than they care about neutralizing our passing game. Not to mention a sloppy field generally favors WR's from everything I've read, as the DB's are likely to slip when they have to suddenly cut, whereas the WR is dictating the direction of the route.

Pissburgh is a running team. Can't see them willingly neutralizing their running game and the speed of Willie Parker.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='600317' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:11 AM']not really. [b]They've never had issues manning up against our offense before[/b]. I'd think they care more about NOT neutralizing their running game, than they care about neutralizing our passing game. Not to mention a sloppy field generally favors WR's from everything I've read, as the DB's are likely to slip when they have to suddenly cut, whereas the WR is dictating the direction of the route.

Pissburgh is a running team. Can't see them willingly neutralizing their running game and the speed of Willie Parker.[/quote]
Really...

And, sloppy fields lend themselves to running games which would then favor teams that run the ball better.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='600278' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:07 AM']I remember a few years ago the league mandated the Patriots to get field turf...lets see if the league holds the same stance with the Golden Shower franchise... :rolleyes:[/quote]

[img]http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/red/blue_pics/2007/03/19/rkelly460.jpg[/img]

"Fixed."

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600318' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:15 AM']Really...

And, sloppy fields lend themselves to running games which would then favor teams that run the ball better.[/quote]

look at what a crappy Run D did to willie parker last night because of the crappy field.

A crappy field levels the playing field. Can't see the Stealers wanting that.

1. The field was covered with a tarp. Tarps have seams. The seams leaked after the constant rain. Had it not been for the constant rain, the field would have been fine. Mother nature didn't cooperate.

2. Other then New England... no team is going to do something to their own field to get an advantage. Slow field hurts us too. Palmer has never really had a SUPER day passing the ball against us. efficient.... Yes, but not tons of yards...etc.

3. Timmons didn't stomp on Ricky on purpose. Get over it already. it was a loose ball. He was going for the ball. Period. If it were a bengal you'd all be laughing about it.

4. Kimo's hit was legal(at the time) and UNINTENTIONAL. Build a bridge and get the fuck over it.

[quote name='ColdGinAgain' post='600359' date='Nov 27 2007, 01:23 PM']3. Timmons didn't stomp on Ricky on purpose. Get over it already. it was a loose ball. He was going for the ball. Period. If it were a bengal you'd all be laughing about it.

4. Kimo's hit was legal(at the time) and UNINTENTIONAL. Build a bridge and get the fuck over it.[/quote]

Yea guys keep that shit to your Bengals boards...

oh wait... :mellow:

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='600322' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:18 AM']look at what a crappy Run D did to willie parker last night because of the crappy field.

A crappy field levels the playing field. Can't see the Stealers wanting that.[/quote]

The pre-game announcers were all saying that the Steelers should totally do a smack down on the Dolphins to prove that they are legitimate. There is no way they would sabatage their own teams speed advantage on both sides of the ball.

[quote name='Le Tigre' post='600367' date='Nov 27 2007, 01:37 PM']I think this game is in Morgantown...could be wrong though.[/quote]

You are correct. The Pitt/WVU game is in Morgantown.

[quote]Steelers' surface at Heinz gets another makeover
Associated Press

Updated: November 26, 2007, 9:29 PM ET

pissburgh -- The pissburgh Steelers own one of the NFL's greatest home-field advantages at Heinz Field, where winds howling off the three rivers torment opposing kickers and fans stomping on the upper-deck bleachers create a disruptive din.

The Steelers, winners of 75 percent of their regular season home games since moving into Heinz in 2001, only wish they didn't have so many home fields.

After four high school regional championship games and the South Florida-Pitt game were played on Heinz Field's fast-deteriorating grass in 17 hours last weekend, 2 1/2 acres of brand new sod were laid atop the old turf. The final strip went down Sunday night, less than 24 hours before Monday night's Dolphins-Steelers kickoff.

That is, the scheduled starting time. Heavy rain and lightning caused a 25-minute delay in the scheduled 8:30 p.m. EST kickoff, with both teams sent to their locker rooms as stadium workers hurried to repaint the yard lines and goal lines that had washed away. Fans were also ordered out of their uncovered lower bowl seats.

The teams were given nine minutes to hurriedly finish up their previously delayed warmups before the rain and the game started at nearly the same time. Only a few yard lines were visible on the field, and the national anthem and other pregame activities were canceled.

The weather was more reminiscent of Miami than pissburgh, with the rain so heavy at times that it resembled that which fell during the Steelers' 13-3 win at Miami on Sept. 26, 2004. That game, which featured Ben Roethlisberger's debut as the Steelers quarterback, was pushed back to a nighttime start after Hurricane Jeanne struck south Florida earlier that day.

With at least three more home games remaining, the Steelers were convinced the old turf -- where brown patches kept growing bigger between the hash marks -- had to go as late fall gave way to winter.

"It's about providing a good field for both teams," Heinz Field manager Jimmie Sacco said.

The Steelers have had repeated problems maintaining a quality grass field since they left Three Rivers Stadium and its asphalt-hard artificial turf in 2000.

In 2002, the grass field was replaced three times from spring until the end of the season; another year, the grass in the middle of the field was torn out and replaced.

The Steelers felt they had solved their problems in 2003 by installing DD GrassMaster, a surface in which the grass is anchored with synthetic fibers. However, that grass has regularly worn down, leaving barren patches that were painted to give a grass-like appearance.

"When you get a lot of play on it, it's going to wear," said Pitt coach Dave Wannstedt, whose team shares Heinz Field with the Steelers. "There's nothing you can do about it."

Across the state, the Philadelphia Eagles are experiencing the same problem at Lincoln Financial Field, which they share with Temple. New sod will be laid there before the Eagles' Sunday home game against Seattle.

Like the Steelers, the Eagles are putting down turf they believe is sturdy and heavy enough to last the rest of the season.

The Steelers' old surface was beginning to raise the ire of opponents. Several Cleveland players called it the NFL's worst following the Browns' 31-28 loss on Nov. 11.

"Everyone knows what they're getting into when they come here," kicker Phil Dawson said. "It's a tough place to play with great tradition. They've got great fans here. And I wouldn't be surprised if the field was part of it."

An NFL players survey last year ranked the Patriots' Gillette Stadium and Heinz Field as the two worst playing fields. The Patriots subsequently yanked up the grass and put down grass-like artificial turf.

However, Steelers owner Dan Rooney has long favored grass, believing it causes fewer injuries. Several former Steelers stars experienced career-altering injuries on Three Rivers Stadium's artificial turf, including Rod Woodson and Jack Lambert.

Rooney isn't alone in his thinking. A majority of colder-weather NFL teams with open-air stadiums still play on grass: the Browns, Broncos, Chiefs, Bears, Packers, Eagles, Redskins and Steelers.

So do the Titans and Panthers, who play in cities where the late-season weather is cold to moderate.

Artificial turf teams in cold weather cities are the Ravens, Bills, Bengals, Patriots, Seahawks, and the New York Jets and Giants, who share Giants Stadium.

The only warm weather team with an artificial turf field is Miami. All the domed stadium teams, of course, have artificial turf: the Colts, Falcons, Lions, Saints, Rams and Vikings, and so does Texas Stadium in Dallas.

The latest field fiasco apparently has the Steelers rethinking their grass-only policy. They already practice regularly on Field Turf in their indoor practice building.

Some in pissburgh wonder if a different type of grass surface or altered maintenance might help the Steelers keep grass and avoid a switch to artificial turf.

When Pitt's players arrived at Heinz Field for their spring game in April 2006, they were surprised to find the field markings and paint remained from the Steelers' final home game Jan. 1 -- suggesting little had been done to the turf since then. Two blocks down the street at the Pirates' PNC Park, there was a lush grass surface.

Former Steelers coach Bill Cowher always wanted to keep grass. New coach Mike Tomlin also sees nothing wrong with Heinz Field's grass, possibly because he hasn't lost a game on it.

"It is part of playing football in December and January, when you play where we play," he said. "As long as we deal with it better than our opponent, I love our field."[/quote]

[url="http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3128648"]http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3128648[/url]

As for the Timmons thing. If you look closely, it seems like he was sort of jumping over someone else to avoid stepping on them, then he saw the ball on the ground and planted his foot to change direction and jump on it. Ricky just happened to be under his foot.

I dont see how you could call that intentional. If you watch it at full speed it is pretty obvious that it wasnt, i dont think he was even looking in Ricky's direction at the time...if you watch in slow motion (like they showed 50 times last night) then I guess you can assume anything....but remember, it all happened in a split second....

The helmet to helmet was intentional. I know that.

While you may be right, even if your not a Bengal fan, you don't extend the Steeler's the benefit of the doubt in this department. Thus it was intentional.

Come to think of it, the only other departments I give the Steelers the benefit of the doubt in is whether a given player pimps hoes or has ever tried gay sex.

Yeah, going out of your way to stomp on a player's shoulder while he lay flat face down on thein the mud without the ball is what any normal human being would call dirty football, and that is something the Steelers do on an ongoing basis. Where were the referees? Even the dolts broadcasting the game only finally commented that Williams was "stepped on." No, he was purposedly stomped on in order to do the most physical damage possible, and it worked once again. If I were the Commissioner, I would fine this cheap shot artist heavily and suspend him for one full year. If there were any repeats, he would be gone from football forever.

[quote name='Tigers Johnson' post='600250' date='Nov 27 2007, 09:34 AM']Lawrence Timmons intentionally step on and injure Ricky Williams last night? It was pretty blatant.[/quote]
You guys really got it bad for them Steeltown Boys. He was going for the ball RW put there. as they say in Vietnam Sig-Noy, too slow, GIT BACK!

[quote name='BigDawg' post='600510' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:40 PM']You guys really got it bad for them Steeltown Boys. He was going for the ball RW put there. as they say in Vietnam Sig-Noy, too slow, GIT BACK![/quote]

Now we've got turd fans who are having flashbacks to 'nam trying to defend Timmons. Unbelievable......it looked pretty damned deliberate to me.......and I'm an impartial observer :lol:

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='600315' date='Nov 27 2007, 11:08 AM']You're right. I'm an idiot and don't "get it".

As I stated in the previous post - I don't think they intentionally did anything for last night's game. But the sloppier the field gets from use the worse it gets for the Bengals game. And, I firmly believe it'd be in pissburgh's best interest to slow down the field against our WR's and passing game...

Wouldn't you?[/quote]

[quote]Q: Heinz Field obviously played a major role in Monday night's game. It looks like there is a chance of showers in pissburgh on Sunday. What factors do you see it playing in Sunday's game? How will it hurt the Bengals? How will it help the Bengals?
--Brad, Atlanta, GA

Brad: Just showers? How about a hurricane? How about a monsoon? How about a tsunami?

The brutal field has to help the Bengals because it negates Fast Willie Parker's speed and explosiveness on the perimeter. He's nowhere near the mudder that running back Rudi Johnson is for the Bengals.

And it should help the Bengals passing game. Defenders have a miserable time covering receivers in slippery, soggy conditions because the receivers know where they're going and the defenders don't. The split second you have to react on a good surface is wiped away in a slipped second.

How about snow and rain?

It would begin to look a lot like Christmas.[/quote]

[url="http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6482"]http://www.bengals.com/news/news.asp?story_id=6482[/url]

[url="http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/dr_z/11/29/williams/index.html"]http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writ...iams/index.html[/url]

[quote]Rick Cranford of Seattle is my E-mailer of the Week for sending me back to my tape for something I'd originally overlooked. Rick points out that on the play that Ricky Williams was injured Monday night, OLB Lawrence Timmons, subbing for Clark Haggans, came down on Williams' back with his cleated shoe. He said it looked deliberate. He was surprised that neither the announcing crew nor Sports Illustrated's game notes made any mention of the play.

I remember seeing it at the time, but the idea of something like that is just so alien to what I'm used to that I glossed right over it. After I read his e-mail I ran the play back, both at regular speed and slow motion. It looked as if Timmons, in hurdling No. 70, Dolphin tackle L.J. Shelton, inadvertently came down on Williams' back. But then the replay, close up, showed Timmons deliberately veering off and coming down hard with his left foot to pin Williams to the ground and keep him from recovering his fumble. An absolutely filthy play, and I'm glad Rick pointed it out to me and annoyed that it didn't strike home right away. Wonder how the league is going to handle this one -- if at all.[/quote]

Archived