OSU vs LSU

JBandJoeyV

Its looking like LSU is gonna be in the national championship against OSU.

What do you think of the matchup? Personally I think we match up pretty well against OSU, both have dominant defenses with pounders at RB (Lester and Beanie Wells). I think we match up a lot better against a team like that then a team like WV that is really fast and has guys like White/Slaton/Devine, although if they played like they did against Pitt we would have killed them.

Either way Im liking this matchup. Early prediction if it is this game....21-17 OSU.

I'm really not getting the love for LSU. I've watched them several times this year and I'm really not that impressed. The lose to Arkansas was just terrible but the media can't stay off their jock. Too bad Georgia didn't play them, because I think Georgia would beat them, then we would be preparing for the bulldogs. Doesn't really matter, just happy to be back, and would like a win this time. :)

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='602621' date='Dec 2 2007, 02:54 PM']funny coming from a team that lost to [b]a now pretty average kentucky team[/b] as with arkansas.

Dont those two teams have a combined like 9 losses?[/quote]

thats just stupid. 1) it doesnt matter how you are now, it matters how you were then. 2) UK is only average now because they took a physical beating 3 weeks in a row against amazing teams. they were the lesser talent in all 3 games and you get physically beat to hell in SEC games.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='602688' date='Dec 2 2007, 05:56 PM']I'm really not getting the love for LSU. I've watched them several times this year and I'm really not that impressed. The lose to Arkansas was just terrible but the media can't stay off their jock. Too bad Georgia didn't play them, because I think Georgia would beat them, then we would be preparing for the bulldogs. Doesn't really matter, just happy to be back, and would like a win this time. :)[/quote]

x2 I've watched a few of their games this year and have not been impressed at all, IMO the Bucks could not only win this game but could very well win BIG.

[quote name='sigshoota' post='602730' date='Dec 2 2007, 06:58 PM']x2 I've watched a few of their games this year and have not been impressed at all, IMO the Bucks could not only win this game but could very well win BIG.[/quote]

settle down. We said that last year too. No one is going to be a gimmie.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='602732' date='Dec 2 2007, 07:00 PM']settle down. We said that last year too. No one is going to be a gimmie.[/quote]

:lol: hehe, you all are advised to take this advice. Though I look forward to watching everyone get worked up with confidence again like last year :P

[quote name='Jason' post='602788' date='Dec 2 2007, 08:23 PM']It is now official. OSU vs LSU.[/quote]
Congrats, OSU fans...

And, those glad they're playing LSU instead of Georgia are lost. I'm much, much rather have played Georgia again than having had to play LSU in the Championship game.

LSU is a beat up team right now... Give them a month to where Dorsey, and others, get healthy and that'll be more like the team that beat Virginia Tech 48-7.

Someone said they could very easily see OSU winning big - I see it possibly the other way very easily... Mobile quarterbacks give OSU fits (see Florida and Illinois) and Flynn is mobile and Perrilloux is even more so.

And, OSU isn't going to run effectively against LSU's healthy front 7 (3 of those 4 DL are going to be playing on Sunday in the next 2 years). I guarantee LSU will make OSU pass the ball to beat them - I don't know enough about OSU's quarterback to determine his effectiveness (only saw the Illinois game) but if he can beat LSU throwing, then congratulations you've earned.

All that said, here is OSU's, and the Big Ten's, chance to redeem themselves and shut up all the nay-sayers...

But, I don't see it happening. Just my opinion.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='603743' date='Dec 3 2007, 08:57 AM']Congrats, OSU fans...

And, those glad they're playing LSU instead of Georgia are lost. I'm much, much rather have played Georgia again than having had to play LSU in the Championship game.

LSU is a beat up team right now... Give them a month to where Dorsey, and others, get healthy and that'll be more like the team that beat Virginia Tech 48-7.

Someone said they could very easily see OSU winning big - I see it possibly the other way very easily... Mobile quarterbacks give OSU fits (see Florida and Illinois) and Flynn is mobile and Perrilloux is even more so.

And, OSU isn't going to run effectively against LSU's healthy front 7 (3 of those 4 DL are going to be playing on Sunday in the next 2 years). I guarantee LSU will make OSU pass the ball to beat them - I don't know enough about OSU's quarterback to determine his effectiveness (only saw the Illinois game) but if he can beat LSU throwing, then congratulations you've earned.

All that said, here is OSU's, and the Big Ten's, chance to redeem themselves and shut up all the nay-sayers...

But, I don't see it happening. Just my opinion.[/quote]

The thing with LSU is that they are their worst enemy; penalties and mistakes.

If they do that (they do have a long history of it); then I believe OSU's discipline wins out.

[quote name='Lawman' post='603747' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:02 AM']The thing with LSU is that they are their worst enemy; penalties and mistakes.

If they do that (they do have a long history of it); then I believe OSU's discipline wins out.[/quote]
Fair enough. But, I'll go ahead and build in an excuse for OSU fans now (although it would be semi-valid) is this is a home game for LSU... That place will be absolutely nuts. Once all those teams lost and LSU won - there was no way the powers that be were going to keep LSU out of a NC game being played in New Orleans...

I thought Oklahoma deserved a chance just as much as either OSU or LSU, honestly.

Here, here for at least an 8 game playoff.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='603757' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:23 AM']Fair enough. But, I'll go ahead and build in an excuse for OSU fans now (although it would be semi-valid) is this is a home game for LSU... That place will be absolutely nuts. Once all those teams lost and LSU won - there was no way the powers that be were going to keep LSU out of a NC game being played in New Orleans...

I thought Oklahoma deserved a chance just as much as either OSU or LSU, honestly.

Here, here for at least an 8 game playoff.[/quote]

true it will likely be a "home game" for LSU, but they get the same amount of tickets that OSU does. They may tip the scales with regards to scalped tickets, but expect OSU to travel well. They sent 77,000 fans to Tempe in 2003, even though 75% of them didn't have tickets.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='603757' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:23 AM']Fair enough. But, I'll go ahead and build in an excuse for OSU fans now (although it would be semi-valid) is this is a home game for LSU... That place will be absolutely nuts. Once all those teams lost and LSU won - there was no way the powers that be were going to keep LSU out of a NC game being played in New Orleans...

[b]I thought Oklahoma deserved a chance just as much as either OSU or LSU, honestly.[/b]

The underdog role could be good for OSU. I've got my dream match-up; I like both teams even though my loyalty lies with OSU.

An argument could be made for a variety of teams, Oklahoma was in the spot-light game on Saturday and looked really impressive; what happened against a lowly Colorado team? [i]Edit: For USC the same question is posed concerning Stanford.
Alot of teams had their Appalachian States.[/i]

For me, this year appears to be not about stands out amongst the others rather who has the lesser of negatives against them.

THE OSU is a good team (considering some asshat named Jim Feist from the Sporting News actually had them ranked #24) but got a little lucky. This was the year to have that luck.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='603757' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:23 AM']Here, here for at least an 8 game playoff.[/quote]

All they need is a PLUS ONE.

Example: When the Final BCS comes out pit #1 vs #4 in one Bowl; say the Sugar. Then #2 vs #3 in another say; the Rose.
Then the winners would play the BCS Championship.

From the BCS final standings this year; THE OSU would play Oklahoma and LSU would play Va Tech (I would like to see that match up again; on a neutral Field). Va Tech is different team.

OSU and LSU will get an equal allotment of tickets. And OSU travels VERY, VERY well. Don't be surprised if OSU has as many, if not more fans than LSU.

[quote name='Jason' post='604099' date='Dec 3 2007, 05:31 PM']OSU and LSU will get an equal allotment of tickets. And OSU travels VERY, VERY well. Don't be surprised if OSU has as many, if not more fans than LSU.[/quote]
I don't guess there is any way to verify it, and I know both schools get an equal allotment of tickets, but I'll bet at least 2/3rds of that dome will be LSU. It is like an hour away from their campus - not counting all the corporate tickets that are sold in the area are going to predominantly going to LSU fans.

Either way I've not hidden my belief that the SEC plays a tougher schedule which in the end typically prepares it's teams better for these games. I may be wrong, but I like LSU in this game once they've had a month to get healthy.

Hell - Dorsey only played the 1st quarter of the SEC champ game and we could still only score 14 points...

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='604206' date='Dec 3 2007, 09:37 PM']I don't guess there is any way to verify it, and I know both schools get an equal allotment of tickets, but I'll bet at least 2/3rds of that dome will be LSU. It is like an hour away from their campus - not counting all the corporate tickets that are sold in the area are going to predominantly going to LSU fans.

Either way I've not hidden my belief that the SEC plays a tougher schedule which in the end typically prepares it's teams better for these games. I may be wrong, but I like LSU in this game once they've had a month to get healthy.

Hell - Dorsey only played the 1st quarter of the SEC champ game and we could still only score 14 points...[/quote]

No offense but you dont realize how well OSU's fans travel, I guarantee it will be 55-45 LSU TOPS, probably 50-50.

For example, in the OSU vs Miami NC game it was like 11-1 OSU fans, even though it wasnt close to Miami or Ohio unlike this game.

[quote name='CJandRudiJ' post='604220' date='Dec 3 2007, 10:11 PM']No offense but you dont realize how well OSU's fans travel, I guarantee it will be 55-45 LSU TOPS, probably 50-50.

For example, in the OSU vs Miami NC game it was like 11-1 OSU fans, even though it wasnt close to Miami or Ohio unlike this game.[/quote]
You don't realize you're comparing Miami fans (some of the most fickle fans in sports - hell they don't even sell out their own home games) having to travel to Arizona...

As opposed to LSU fans (some of the most die-hard fans in sports that sell out every game) having to travel at most about an hour from home.

I'm not implying OSU fans won't travel well - I'm just saying it'll be much more difficult to get a ticket when you're competing against people that are an hour from home, the corporate ties to the local venue are 95%+ fans of the one team...

Think it through. I'm not knocking OSU fans at all. It'd be just like saying the NC game was going to be in Columbus essentially. Don't you think there'd be a bigger OSU fan-base than LSU. Why? Because there is a much larger contingent of fans close to the venue and the corporate base (that gets about 50% of the tickets to these bowls) are 95%+ OSU fans.

This has nothing to do with OSU fans travelling well or not. Why do you think everyone has already made such a big deal about this essentially being a "home game" for LSU?

If you think that crowd will only be 50-50, or 55-45 LSU you're dreamin.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='604396' date='Dec 4 2007, 08:43 AM']You don't realize you're comparing Miami fans (some of the most fickle fans in sports - hell they don't even sell out their own home games) having to travel to Arizona...

As opposed to LSU fans (some of the most die-hard fans in sports that sell out every game) having to travel at most about an hour from home.

I'm not implying OSU fans won't travel well - I'm just saying it'll be much more difficult to get a ticket when you're competing against people that are an hour from home, the corporate ties to the local venue are 95%+ fans of the one team...

Think it through. I'm not knocking OSU fans at all. It'd be just like saying the NC game was going to be in Columbus essentially. Don't you think there'd be a bigger OSU fan-base than LSU. Why? Because there is a much larger contingent of fans close to the venue and the corporate base (that gets about 50% of the tickets to these bowls) are 95%+ OSU fans.

This has nothing to do with OSU fans travelling well or not. Why do you think everyone has already made such a big deal about this essentially being a "home game" for LSU?

If you think that crowd will only be 50-50, or 55-45 LSU you're dreamin.[/quote]

[quote]I'm just saying it'll be much more difficult to get a ticket when you're competing against people that are an hour from home[/quote]

how do you figure it will be more difficult? Are websites going to charge OSU fans more? Will LSU fans be more willing to go to the game? Maybe. Will it be easier to get tickets? not really. Plenty of OSU fans will be willing to get there. The only thing that would make it more difficult was if websites and scalpers blacklisted OSU fans or gave LSU fans a better price. And I don't see that happening.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='604407' date='Dec 4 2007, 09:08 AM']how do you figure it will be more difficult? Are websites going to charge OSU fans more? Will LSU fans be more willing to go to the game? Maybe. Will it be easier to get tickets? not really. Plenty of OSU fans will be willing to get there. The only thing that would make it more difficult was if websites and scalpers blacklisted OSU fans or gave LSU fans a better price. And I don't see that happening.[/quote]
How many tickets is OSU allotted? How many tickets is LSU allotted? How many does the Superdome hold? I'll answer for you.

That is 40,000 seats unaccounted for. Those go to corporate tie-ins... And, the venue being in New Orleans, businesses in the vicinity of New Orleans will have a much larger showing than businesses not in and around New Orleans. That being said - are these people going to be LSU fans or OSU fans, predominantly?

But, whatever.

Even the discussion of the fact that the game is about an hour from LSU's campus and makes it a home game , pisses Suckeye fans off... that isn't any knock on OSU fans. OSU fans will be there, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying it'll be at least 60-40, LSU, if not more. Because the tickets that will be disbursed to the local business community presents a larger pool of tickets for LSU fans. LSU has already had over 60,000 requests for tickets...

Fellas, I'm not downing you or OSU fans in any manner. It is true of any school. It just stands to reason that a game that is at a "neutral" site which happens to be about an hour from one schoool's campus is going to have a larger showing. That is why everyone is saying this is essentially a "home game" for LSU.

But, again, whatever. We'll just wait until the game to see what the crowd in the stadium looks like.

[quote name='Vol_Bengal' post='604429' date='Dec 4 2007, 10:03 AM']How many tickets is OSU allotted? How many tickets is LSU allotted? How many does the Superdome hold? I'll answer for you.

That is 40,000 seats unaccounted for. Those go to corporate tie-ins... And, the venue being in New Orleans, businesses in the vicinity of New Orleans will have a much larger showing than businesses not in and around New Orleans. That being said - are these people going to be LSU fans or OSU fans, predominantly?

But, whatever.

Even the discussion of the fact that the game is about an hour from LSU's campus and makes it a home game , pisses Suckeye fans off... that isn't any knock on OSU fans. OSU fans will be there, I'm not saying that. I'm just saying it'll be at least 60-40, LSU, if not more. Because the tickets that will be disbersed to the local business community presents a larger pool of tickets for LSU fans. LSU has already had over 60,000 requests for tickets...

[b]Fellas, I'm not downing you or OSU fans in any manner. [/b]It is true of any school. It just stands to reason that a game that is at a "neutral" site which happens to be about an hour from one schoool's campus is going to have a larger showing. That is why everyone is saying this is essentially a "home game" for LSU.

But, again, whatever. We'll just wait until the game to see what the crowd in the stadium looks like.[/quote]

yeeeeaa, that's why you take a shot at OSU in everyone of your posts.

I don't disagree that LSU will probably have a crowd advantage, though I'm not sure as many tickets go to local business as you think. A very large number of them go to companies that sell tickets. Probably 10,000 or so.

Archived