“The Golden Compass” Controversy

Lawman

Disclaimer: I have not read the books (trilogy) or seen the movie.

[url="http://www.familylifeculturewatch.com/2007/11/the-controversy.html"]Family Culture Watch[/url]

[img]http://www.familylifeculturewatch.com/images/2007/11/06/compass_2.jpg[/img]

[quote]In recent weeks, e-mails circulating within Christian circles have expressed concern about the upcoming film, "The Golden Compass", based on a fantasy novel by Philip Pullman. This puts us in a quandary, because it is generally unwise to criticize a movie until you’ve actually had the chance to see it. In this case the concerns are understandable in light of Pullman’s statements that he wrote in His Dark Materials trilogy (of which The Golden Compass was the first book) to promote his atheistic views.

In a recent interview (not yet aired) for the Ear Reverent podcast, Bob Lepine interviewed Jeffery Overstreet, who frequently reviews films for Christianity Today magazine. Overstreet has read the entire trilogy and had some insightful comments:

"The book, The Golden Compass, showed up on my radar screen back in 1995. My wife and I both are big fans of fairy tales and fantasy stories. We both grew up with The Lord of the Rings, and The Chronicles of Narnia, and the books of Madeleine L’Engle. And when I started reading The Golden Compass, I thought to myself, ‘This is the most imaginative, enthralling fantasy novel I have read since The Lord of the Rings.’ For me, that’s saying a lot; I’ve read a lot of fantasy. I was so captivated by the characters, by the world that author Philip Pullman created.

“But then, as we went into the second and third book of the trilogy, something very strange started to happen. The characters and the situations started seeming more and more pointed to present us with an aggressive idea or with an aggressive argument about the way the world is. It was very discouraging for my wife and I as we read the third book, because these characters that we had come to know and love were suddenly turning into pawns in Pullman’s clever game to try and portray the Church as devoid of anything loving or good or gracious.

“In the third book in the series, The Amber Spyglass, where everything that began in The Golden Compass comes to fruition, you have characters turning to each other and saying things like ‘Christianity is a mistake, a powerful and seductive mistake, but a mistake all the same.’ And you start to realize that it is playing out exactly what its author, Philip Pullman, has said in interviews – that he wrote this book to strike at the idea of Christianity portrayed in C.S. Lewis’ work … He has openly said in interviews that if there is a God, and if he is as Christians describe him, then he deserves to be put down, which is exactly what the characters in the series that The Golden Compass end up doing.

“[Pullman’s] characters, as they make their way through the world, end up waging a second war in heaven. And Pullman portrays them killing God, who turns out to be just a supernatural imposter who’s feeble and cruel and senile. He [Pullman] has determined to draw young readers into this world, and try and show them a world in which … Christianity … is a tyrannical institution, and God is a tyrant. And all the church, which he calls the Magisterium, wants to do is control them. And as a result, God is overthrown in the end, and you have a restaging of the Garden of Eden at the climax where eating the apple as an act of defiance against God, is the triumphant conclusion.”

"The Golden Compass" is being released by New Line Cinema, producers of the famed “Lord of the Rings” trilogy. New Line maintains that it removed the anti-religious elements from the film, and we won’t know how well it did so until the movie is released on December 6. New Line naturally hopes this movie is successful enough so that the trilogy can be completed, which would set up a larger problem for the last two films. As Overstreet says, “I don’t know how they can stick to the story that Philip Pullman has written and not loudly put down Christians.”

A number of concerned parents have written FamilyLife asking about “The Golden Compass.” In this situation, a cautious approach would be wise. First, be cautious about over-reacting to a movie that has not yet been released. Overstreet says:

“… whenever Christians are linked with movies in the media, you can expect it has something to do with protesting. And it’s already begun. There is such a loud, aggressive protest against 'The Golden Compass' happening, that Christians are playing right into the hands of the ugly stereotype that the world has of us; which is that we only wake up and get busy when we’re angry about something.

“For me, I’ve found it much more productive to talk with my neighbors about these movies, ask them to consider what the stories say and whether the stories really have any bearing on reality. In His Dark Materials – which is the name of the series that 'The Golden Compass' begins – the way the churchgoers are portrayed are as malevolent, controlling, heartless puppeteers, people who want to rob people of their freedoms and their joys. I think that Pullman is reacting against his perception of the church, and if we come out with our picket signs and our guns blazing, so to speak, we’re playing right into the image of the Church that he is showing people in that series. Wouldn’t it be better if our response to the movie argued with the movie simply by being different, by showing people that Christ sets an example of grace and of dialogue, and argument, yes, but argument with love.”

Second, we urge caution before you take your children to view the film. See it yourself first and evaluate if it is appropriate. (We will provide an update to this article in December when we have the chance to view it.) If you do see the film with your children, talk about it afterward and discuss any questionable elements. And in the same way, be cautious about allowing your children to read the books without supervision and involvement from you.

Overstreet finds it interesting that, “in the entire trilogy, while he [Pullman] is constantly bashing the Church, he never, never wrestles with Christ himself, with Christ’s claims, with the kind of life that Christ encourages us to live. You have heroes acting in the name of their ideas of freedom and love, and they’re playing right into what Christ taught us. But Pullman doesn’t seem to see any connection between love and Christianity, and I think that’s a real shame.”[/quote]

Who cares if it's an attack on Christianity.. Don't let your kids see it.

I mean it's not like Chritians haven't done plenty through time and around the world to spread their beliefs, sometimes at the end of a sword.

It would be like construing a christian movie as an attack on non christians.

I don't understand why some christians feel the need to so agressively attack things they feel are contrary to their beliefs.. Why feel so threatened?

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='605617' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:30 PM']I wonder if Lawman would be concerned about a movie deriding Islam? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img][/quote]

Seen that movie already.

Its called Western Mainstream Media.

Its on right now, actually. ...but it's a repeat.

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='605617' date='Dec 7 2007, 12:30 PM']I wonder if Lawman would be concerned about a movie deriding Islam? [img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/39.gif[/img][/quote]

Where have I implied concern for this movie?

[img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

A few have already done exactly what the article suggests Pullman does with it.

Irriguardless Ill go see it, because I like fantasy type movies as well, and can differientaiate the difference between fantasy and reality. (waiting for the obvious shot at christianity being fantasy...some of you are so predictable in this manner)

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='605636' date='Dec 7 2007, 01:10 PM'][img]http://forum.go-bengals.com/public/style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/24.gif[/img]

[b]A few have already done exactly what the article suggests Pullman does with it.[/b]

Irriguardless Ill go see it, because I like fantasy type movies as well, and can differientaiate the difference between fantasy and reality. (waiting for the obvious shot at christianity being fantasy...some of you are so predictable in this manner)[/quote]

I don't follow you?

[quote name='Lucid' post='605639' date='Dec 7 2007, 01:12 PM']I don't follow you?[/quote]

Actually you went whom I was speaking of, but there are a few who like to come into these types of threads and do "drive by" attacks on people's faith.

Personally I think its silly, its a movie and a fictional one at that. But never underestimate those who see a thread like this and have a need to dumb it down to "christians are stupid" type of stuff.

In other words, were all like that "God warrior" lady, or the "God Hates Fags" people, ect..ect..

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='605642' date='Dec 7 2007, 01:16 PM']In other words, were all like that "God warrior" lady and are lucky, or the "God Hates Fags" people, ect..ect..[/quote]

But this movie is so dark sided!

[img]http://content.ytmnd.com/content/3/6/4/3645a4f87eb477750194f33c322f921f.gif[/img]

:D

[quote name='CTBengalsFan' post='605633' date='Dec 7 2007, 01:01 PM']Probably in the subtitle which says "Anti-Christian?" and [b]then the posting of the article [/b]that expresses concern over the film.[/quote]

That's all that was done, [i]posting of an article[/i] (which we probably will hear more about in a few days or weeks), the concern of the film was in the context of the post.

I provided a disclaimer, I did not offer up any form of discourse. But since you are curious, my position falls along this line:

[quote]Jamie_B
Personally I think its silly, its a movie and a fictional one at that.[/quote]

What I fore-see is that some (christians) will come out and picket/protest. This will probably draw media attention. Talk-shows will get onboard; increasing the shows interest/ticket sales to thedelight of the shows financial backers.

The theaters have a right to show it while the christians have a right to protest (done legally) a film they percieve which presents some sort of missinformation.

Personally, I don't think they should; it's silly.

[quote name='Lawman' post='605699' date='Dec 7 2007, 04:45 PM']What I fore-see is that some (christians) will come out and picket/protest. This will probably draw media attention. Talk-shows will get onboard; increasing the shows interest/ticket sales to thedelight of the shows financial backers.

The theaters have a right to show it while the christians have a right to protest (done legally) a film they percieve which presents some sort of missinformation.

Personally, I don't think they should; it's silly.[/quote]
Does anyone think that maybe the film industry put this out there to stir controversy and get free advertising? If not, I think that it's pretty ironic that people don't complain about Christian themed movies except for The Last Temptation of Christ which mainly was about it being too violent.

[quote name='Dr. Johnny Fever' post='605708' date='Dec 7 2007, 05:25 PM']Does anyone think that maybe the film industry put this out there to stir controversy and get free advertising? If not, I think that it's pretty ironic that people don't complain about Christian themed movies except for The Last Temptation of Christ which mainly was about it being too violent.[/quote]

You have to actually read the books (trilogy "His Dark Materials") Disclaimer: I have not.
The author, Philip Pullman, is a known outspoken atheist.

The movie (from what I have read) is a watered down version. This in itself presents an argument for two camps.

From the Christian perspective:
[quote][url="http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,305487,00.html"]Fox News[/url]
"These books denigrate Christianity, thrash the Catholic Church and sell the virtues of atheism," said Bill Donohue, president and CEO of the Catholic League....

"They’re intentionally watering down the most offensive element,” Donohue said. “I'm not really concerned about the movie, [which] looks fairly innocuous. The movie is made for the books. ... It's a deceitful, stealth campaign. Pullman is hoping his books will fly off the shelves at Christmastime."

The anti-religious themes get progressively stronger with each book in the trilogy; in the final installment, the characters succeed in killing a character called God — who turns out to be a phony, and not God after all. The series has soared to the top of bestseller lists in the U.K. and other countries but has not caught on in the United States.[/quote]

On the the other side of the coin:

[quote]Some atheists and fans of the books aren't happy, either. They say the studio has caved to pressure from the Christian right by sanitizing the tale for the big screen.[/quote]

From my perspective as a Christian parent, I have a 16 year old son and I am pretty sure he will go and see this movie. This will afford me with the opportunity to discuss such issues with him.

[quote]The writing of his 'Dark Materials' is so masterful that it is bound to spark the spiritual imagination of anyone who reads it," said Craig Detweiler, co-director of Reel Spirituality, a pop culture and religion think tank at Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, Calif.

"In this era of the messy marriage of politics and religion, we desperately need more imaginative expressions of faith and doubt."

Detweiler accused conservative Christian activists like Baehr and Donohue of cashing in on the controversy for their own gain, just as they accuse Pullman of doing. [b]And he thinks the controversial author could actually have the opposite effect on readers than the one he or his critics think — and lead people to find faith in a true higher power instead of merely a dogmatic, power-hungry establishment.[/b]

"It undoubtedly makes people question, but inspires them to look harder for more authentic religion," Detweiler said. [b]"Pullman takes license in pointing out the scary, false gods and destructive idols we've created. In that sense, I think he's doing a great service."[/b][/quote]

Parents communicating/talking with their children,IMO, is sorely lacking in this country.

[quote name='Dr. Johnny Fever' post='605708' date='Dec 7 2007, 05:25 PM']Does anyone think that maybe the film industry put this out there to stir controversy and get free advertising? If not, I think that it's pretty ironic that people don't complain about Christian themed movies except for The Last Temptation of Christ which mainly was about it being too violent.[/quote]

If I remember right, the controversy of the "The Last Temptation of Christ" was Jesus having impure thoughts or acts with Mary Magdelene. The Passion of the Christ was the one that was too violent. I agree with Jamie though, Christians should be strong enough in their faith to be able to watch a movie such as this and not let it bother them. I guess the real concern they have is for the kids, but realistically, they can't be sheltered their whole life. Eventually they are going to make their own decision.

[quote name='ccartman2' post='605820' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:13 AM'][b]If I remember right, the controversy of the "The Last Temptation of Christ" was Jesus having impure thoughts or acts with Mary Magdelene. The Passion of the Christ was the one that was too violent[/b]. I agree with Jamie though, Christians should be strong enough in their faith to be able to watch a movie such as this and not let it bother them. I guess the real concern they have is for the kids, but realistically, they can't be sheltered their whole life. Eventually they are going to make their own decision.[/quote]
No, no, no, no....it was "The Davinci Code" that caused the controversy for implying that Mary Magdalene was the Holy Grail and had borne Jesus children...no wait, it was "The Chronicles Of Narnia" for portraying Christ as the Lion Aslan, or Harry Potter movies for putting witchcraft in a positive light....no, it was Katrina's revenge on homosexuals....wait...now I'm soooooo confused!

Christains need to lighten up. I'd go watch a movie called "Satan's Minions Coming To Kill All Christians To Perpetuate Armaggeddon" set to a continuous loop of the Iron Maiden song "666: The Number Of The Beast" if I thought it was going to be a good movie. It's just a movie! If people have trouble distancing their faith from fantasy, then I don't know what we as a society can do.

The entertainment industry certainly can take some blame for some things that they promote, but unfortunately, it's weak parents that raise small-minded children whom become small-minded adolescents and adults that are the ones that are subject to any overt or hidden "message" that a movie like this may try to convey.

It's just a movie.

Coming Soon!

[quote name='Bunghole' post='605826' date='Dec 8 2007, 09:46 AM']"Satan's Minions Coming To Kill All Christians To Perpetuate Armaggeddon"[/quote]

A Robertson/Falwell Production

Directed by: Dick Cheney

Starring: Mel Gibson in the role of Beezlebub

Co-Starring: Slim Pickens as Major T.J. "King Kong"
Joan Crawford as Mommy
Samuel Jackson as Morgan Freeman

And Introducing Tonya Harding as "The Wacky Love Interest"

Special Thanks to the Mercenary Army of Blackwater, as the Spanish Army was contractually obligated to another film.

[quote name='Homer_Rice' post='605837' date='Dec 8 2007, 10:17 AM']Coming Soon!

A Robertson/Falwell Production

Directed by: Dick Cheney

Starring: Mel Gibson in the role of Beezlebub

Co-Starring: Slim Pickens as Major T.J. "King Kong"
Joan Crawford as Mommy
[b]Samuel Jackson as Morgan Freeman[/b]

[b]And Introducing Tonya Harding as "The Wacky Love Interest"[/b]

Special Thanks to the Mercenary Army of Blackwater, as the Spanish Army was contractually obligated to another film.[/quote]
Holy SHIT that's funny...why didn't I think of that?

Archived