A detailed look at the first 8 picks

[quote name='Xombie' post='625624' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:59 AM']Question: Will the coin flips be made prior to draft day or before the actual draft?[/quote]

I feel like they do it the night before (so that teams can adjust their board accordingly), but not sure.

btw, welcome to the site!

[quote name='Xombie' post='625624' date='Jan 22 2008, 10:59 AM']Question: Will the coin flips be made prior to draft day or before the actual draft?[/quote]

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='625625' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:01 AM']I feel like they do it the night before (so that teams can adjust their board accordingly), but not sure.

btw, welcome to the site![/quote]

Coin flip will be done at the combine.

[quote name='NFL.com']Atlanta and Oakland will flip a coin for the third position at the NFL Combine in February.[/quote]

Link: [url="http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d805a3a57&template=without-video&confirm=true"]http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d...mp;confirm=true[/url]

Ellis will be gone by #9. he will go off the board before Phillips. Long, Dorsey, and Gholsten will also be gone by the time we pick.

So our options will be:

Phillips, A great player, but safety is one area where we seem to be pretty well stocked. Even if we let both Madieu and Dexter walk I can't see us starting a rookie and a 2nd year player at safety.

Blamer, at 6'5", 295 he is way to skinny to play DT. A DT can weigh 295 if he has a low center of gravity, but a tall long-limbed guy like Balmer would be to skinny. He looks like a 3-4 DE to me.

Calais Campbell, A lot of potential, but I am not impressed with his production. However he could be our pick if everyone else is gone.

Derrick Harvey, another solid player, but not worth the #9 pick.

I don't think we will draft an OT this high. If we need an OT we will move Whit to RT and find a player to plug in at LG. Guards are much cheaper than tackles.

I don't think we take a RB. We have a lot of question marks at RB, but I don't think any of the RBs left at #9 are worth that high of a pick.

So basically I have no idea who we will take. I believe that Quentin Groves could actually jump into consideration if he performs the way I think he will at the combine. Anyone interested in another DE to switch to OLB?

[quote name='fredtoast' post='625636' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:25 AM']Ellis will be gone by #9. he will go off the board before Phillips. Long, Dorsey, and Gholsten will also be gone by the time we pick.

So our options will be:

Phillips, A great player, but safety is one area where we seem to be pretty well stocked. Even if we let both Madieu and Dexter walk I can't see us starting a rookie and a 2nd year player at safety.

Blamer, at 6'5", 295 he is way to skinny to play DT. A DT can weigh 295 if he has a low center of gravity, but a tall long-limbed guy like Balmer would be to skinny. He looks like a 3-4 DE to me.

Calais Campbell, A lot of potential, but I am not impressed with his production. However he could be our pick if everyone else is gone.

Derrick Harvey, another solid player, but not worth the #9 pick.

I don't think we will draft an OT this high. If we need an OT we will move Whit to RT and find a player to plug in at LG. Guards are much cheaper than tackles.

I don't think we take a RB. We have a lot of question marks at RB, but I don't think any of the RBs left at #9 are worth that high of a pick.

So basically I have no idea who we will take. I believe that Quentin Groves could actually jump into consideration if he performs the way I think he will at the combine. Anyone interested in another DE to switch to OLB?[/quote]

fwiw, Balmer weighed in at 308 yesterday, and "stacked".

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='625637' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:27 AM']fwiw, Balmer weighed in at 308 yesterday, and "stacked".[/quote]

I'm a big SEC guy, so I don't know a lot about Balmer. I do know that he is highly rated by many draft analysts. Since he may be the best defensive player available at #9 I'd be glad to see him bulk up to NFL size.

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='625651' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:55 AM']I don't think Gholston, Phillips, or Brohm are anything close to 50% surethings fo going in any of those spots. That said, I still think Ellis will be available.[/quote]

i guarantee that Gholstons workouts are going to be off the freakin charts. i actually think he's got a very good shot of being the first DE off the board.

Yeah I think Ellis or Gholston is available for sure.

If there's ONE thing I know its that QBs will creep up that draft board, especially if you look at the number of teams that need one in the top 10. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brohm sneak up there and I think Ryan is gone top 5 for sure.

If they're gone, I think Rivers is the pick.

He'll solidify the LB corp for a long time and help add depth where its most needed

[quote name='Bengals 4 Life' post='625718' date='Jan 22 2008, 04:34 PM']Yeah I think Ellis or Gholston is available for sure.

If there's ONE thing I know its that QBs will creep up that draft board, especially if you look at the number of teams that need one in the top 10. I wouldn't be surprised to see Brohm sneak up there and I think Ryan is gone top 5 for sure.

He'll solidify the LB corp for a long time and help add depth where its most needed[/quote]

why would ANY of the teams take a Qb in the first when all of them would be there for them in the second..
Its a terrrible crop of QB's.....none of them have franchise labeled to them for different reasons.
Oakland wants a player to take Sapp's position and Ellis fills the bill more than nicely.
Parcells wants to get as many picks for his expansion team as possible.
Atlanta wants a player thats going to excite the fans somewhat ( McFadden?)
You really think the Ravens think any of the top three QB's will make a difference with their
aging team.. they need to upgrade in other areas just as much as QB.. They'll ride Boller another year or get a QB in the second round...
the draft will turn out completely different than all of us predict.....

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='625576' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:13 AM']I read yesterday that Ellis plays on the North squad, which is coached by the Raiders staff.... Don't be shocked if Ellis goes over Dorsey.[/quote]

oh i wolnt, in fact seeing as Dorsey has more injury concerns....

[quote name='spicoli' post='625606' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:56 AM']when everything is said and done, I really think that Miami is going to end up taking Matt Ryan. I don't see NE picking another 1st round safety either. if they stay at that spot i look for them to take either Rivers or Jenkins.[/quote]

with parcell's love for vet QBs I would be a little supprised by that

[quote name='Scoutforlife591' post='625651' date='Jan 22 2008, 11:55 AM']I don't think Gholston, Phillips, or Brohm are anything close to 50% surethings fo going in any of those spots. That said, I still think Ellis will be available.[/quote]

scout, you're full of shit sometimes but i do appreciate your pre-draft work. you spend a lot of time at it and i appreciate the gusto you give to the draft every year. that said, i sure the hell hope you've done your homework, know what you're talking about, and are right on sedric ellis.

[quote name='Bengals 4 Life' post='625718' date='Jan 22 2008, 04:34 PM']Yeah I think Ellis or Gholston is available for sure.

He'll solidify the LB corp for a long time and help add depth where its most needed[/quote]

rivers is a good player, but he's not a savior type. he's projected to be a weakside backer, but there's been more than one scout that has criticised his ability in coverage. all i'm saying is, let's keep it in perspective regarding him.

also, if we're supposedly extending offers and trying to resign both landon and dhani, i'm not sure where rivers fits in our program. if we're successful in resigning those two, or even one for that matter, it would appear we have much larger needs...especially in regards to our 1st round pick. this doesn't take into consideration what will prevail between brooks and odell as our MLB and what we're going to do with the odd man out there...which likely will be odell. common thought is that if he makes the team, he'll also move to weakside. given all that, i'm not sure where rivers fits into our program. he sure isn't a MLB, and just as assuredly will never be a SAM.

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='625721' date='Jan 22 2008, 04:40 PM']why would ANY of the teams take a Qb in the first when all of them would be there for them in the second..
Its a terrrible crop of QB's.....none of them have franchise labeled to them for different reasons.
Oakland wants a player to take Sapp's position and Ellis fills the bill more than nicely.
Parcells wants to get as many picks for his expansion team as possible.
Atlanta wants a player thats going to excite the fans somewhat ( McFadden?)
You really think the Ravens think any of the top three QB's will make a difference with their
aging team.. they need to upgrade in other areas just as much as QB.. They'll ride Boller another year or get a QB in the second round...
the draft will turn out completely different than all of us predict.....[/quote]

i'm not sure troy smith hasn't won that job. he played as well as could be expected down the stretch, given the circumstances.

i know this, baltimore is no cod lock to take a QB with steve mcnair, kyle boller, and troy smith under contract. they could very easily spoil our party going defense....even taking ellis.

[quote name='bengaled' post='625773' date='Jan 22 2008, 07:58 PM']scout, you're full of shit sometimes but i do appreciate your pre-draft work. you spend a lot of time at it and i appreciate the gusto you give to the draft every year. that said, i sure the hell hope you've done your homework, know what you're talking about, and are right on sedric ellis.[/quote]

Well that's the epitomy of a backhanded compliment if I've ever seen one.

[quote name='bengaled' post='625787' date='Jan 22 2008, 08:25 PM']i'm not sure troy smith hasn't won that job. he played as well as could be expected down the stretch, given the circumstances.

i know this, baltimore is no cod lock to take a QB with steve mcnair, kyle boller, and troy smith under contract. they could very easily spoil our party going defense....even taking ellis.[/quote]

for some reason I thought Boller was a FA this year. :mellow:

[quote name='Jamie_B' post='625818' date='Jan 22 2008, 09:39 PM']for some reason I thought Boller was a FA this year. :mellow:[/quote]
They actually extended him for one more season.

Even if the Ravens don't take a QB, they won't take Ellis, because he doesn't fit their scheme. If anything they go with Mike Jenkins or Derrick Harvey.

Archived