Verizon Wireless goes Unlimited

steggyD

[url="http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200802190316DOWJONESDJONLINE000130_FORTUNE5.htm"]http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...30_FORTUNE5.htm[/url]

You can replace your home phone and just go wireless now, nationwide plan for $99.99 a month. Unlimited.

BTW, if you go Verizon, please buy an LG, Samsung if you have to, but not a motorola. ;)

[quote name='steggyD' post='633544' date='Feb 19 2008, 10:58 AM'][url="http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200802190316DOWJONESDJONLINE000130_FORTUNE5.htm"]http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articl...30_FORTUNE5.htm[/url]

You can replace your home phone and just go wireless now, nationwide plan for $99.99 a month. Unlimited.

BTW, if you go Verizon, please buy an LG, Samsung if you have to, but not a motorola. ;)[/quote]

sprint was stupid to announce they were gonna do an unlimited shoulda known VZ would launch it quicker.. tho sprints will include data and text and all the extra jazz...

PS: how is replacing your home phone with a cell phone that costs twice as much a viable option?
PSS: who the fuck still has a home phone?
PSSS: seriously who has a damn home phone at this point?
PSSSS: i realize some old fogies likely still have a home phone, but seriously...

You've really got to talk a lot to make that worthwhile. I ditched my home phone years ago and have always had the minimum # of minutes per month available. That costs way less than $100. My wife and I have the family plan with Verizon which is around $80/month for both phones (that's including taxes, fess, etc. It advertises for I think $69.99). Then again, when you don't have any friends...

[quote name='Rumble In the Jungle' post='633590' date='Feb 19 2008, 12:22 PM']well, i use my phone for a lot of business calls. but...my wife beats me with minutes usage! she can fucking sit on the phone for 2 hrs. i would run out of conversation in 10 minutes unless it's work related! damn women i tell ya.[/quote]

crazy broads.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='633562' date='Feb 19 2008, 11:32 AM']sprint was stupid to announce they were gonna do an unlimited shoulda known VZ would launch it quicker.. tho sprints will include data and text and all the extra jazz...

PS: how is replacing your home phone with a cell phone that costs twice as much a viable option?
PSS: who the fuck still has a home phone?
PSSS: seriously who has a damn home phone at this point?
PSSSS: i realize some old fogies likely still have a home phone, but seriously...[/quote]

ha, I have a feeling that when both of our kids get older, we'll be getting home lines.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='633593' date='Feb 19 2008, 12:25 PM']ha, I have a feeling that when both of our kids get older, we'll be getting home lines.[/quote]

why? sprint is going to launch a price war on cell plans, it will be all unlimited soon, might as well get them a cell phone, all of them have GPS these days, track them sneaky bastards and get their own numbers...

[quote name='GoBengals' post='633595' date='Feb 19 2008, 12:27 PM']why? sprint is going to launch a price war on cell plans, it will be all unlimited soon, might as well get them a cell phone, all of them have GPS these days, track them sneaky bastards and get their own numbers...[/quote]

when they are like 5 years old? just a cellphone that stays home for friends to call them?

Some people with children like a land line so in the event they have to dial 911 the cops/fire dept know where to go without a lot of Q and A.

I have a land line (comes with dsl) but no phone plugged into it except technically the DirecTV receiver. I don't know the number and no one ever calls, thank god, because the receiver has caller ID and would tell us of incoming calls while we're trying to watch TV.

Sprint's network sucks compared to VZW's, especially in the Northeast. It is expensive, but when compared to the plans with actual limited minutes for more money, yeah, this isn't so much then.

Me, I only need 700 minutes for my family also, but most people I know use Verizon Wireless also, so all my minutes are in-calling. This plan is for the business people or just plain heavy talkers.

[quote]PS: how is replacing your home phone with a cell phone that costs twice as much a viable option?[/quote]

And to answer that, cause if you're paying about 40 for a home phone and 60 for a cell phone, just get rid of the home phone and have unlimited cell phone minutes.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='633685' date='Feb 19 2008, 05:49 PM']I'm surprised so many do not have a home phone.

I hate carrying a cell phone around in my pocket everywhere I go, and I'll be damned if I'm going to walk around the house with a phone all day long.

I really like my home phone.[/quote]
they are severly overstating how many people dont have home phones, and dont forget the average age on this board is very low. I know 1 family off the top of my head that doesnt have a home phone.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='633685' date='Feb 19 2008, 03:49 PM']I'm surprised so many do not have a home phone.

I hate carrying a cell phone around in my pocket everywhere I go, and I'll be damned if I'm going to walk around the house with a phone all day long.

We don't have a home phone because we felt it was kind of a waste of money. My wife and I can call each other on cell phones as much as we want and on a side note we never hit our minutes. Of course she usually leave her phone at home and 9 times out of 10 it is dead...But I think the biggest factor is that we really just don't use the phone that much at all.

Yeah, I really didn't have much to add to this thread, but I know that Go wants posts :)

[quote name='CincyInDC' post='633636' date='Feb 19 2008, 02:51 PM']Some people with children like a land line so in the event they have to dial 911 the cops/fire dept know where to go without a lot of Q and A.

I have a land line (comes with dsl) but no phone plugged into it except technically the DirecTV receiver. I don't know the number and no one ever calls, thank god, because the receiver has caller ID and would tell us of incoming calls while we're trying to watch TV.[/quote]

well cell phones have GPS, so you can be located just as easily. i did have a line for my previous internet, but not a phone in sight, and also had no idea what the number was...

[quote name='steggyD' post='633649' date='Feb 19 2008, 03:55 PM']Sprint's network sucks compared to VZW's, especially in the Northeast. It is expensive, but when compared to the plans with actual limited minutes for more money, yeah, this isn't so much then.

Me, I only need 700 minutes for my family also, but most people I know use Verizon Wireless also, so all my minutes are in-calling. This plan is for the business people or just plain heavy talkers.

And to answer that, cause if you're paying about 40 for a home phone and 60 for a cell phone, just get rid of the home phone and have unlimited cell phone minutes.[/quote]

they both roam off eachothers network, unless you get a freebee single band phone that cant roam even on sprints network, then yea, it sucks, same for any other carrier. its funny, i have worked for 3 cell phone companies over the last 7 years, and right before i worked for each of them, i said "god i dont wanna work here, the service fucking sucks, i dont even wanna carry a free BS phone from these fools" and ended up having zero problems with any of them, sprint was the biggest one i hated, i was desperate for a job and ended up working part time for them for a while, i still do so some work for them off and on, but not regularly. I of course fell in love with the high speed internet, GSM customers dont know what mobile braodband is, sprint and verizon offer the exact same service, sprints is cheaper per month, cheaper per equipment, and isnt NAZI locked down, from the GPS, to the 5 gb limit on the unlimited aircard plan(fine print stats using over 5 gigs has them assuming your violating terms of service) they block slingbox via arircards as well. the 595u aircard at VZ is $130, its free at sprint, its funny i worked at tmobile for many years, and people would come in saying "fuckin verizon sucks, i cant get service anywhere" and worked at cincinnati bell and people would come in "i refuse to sign a contract, thats just stupid, ill gladly pay far more for equipment than it would even cost to break the contract should i need to"(well i added that last part) sprint hit rock bottom and realized it, they feel they have about 6-12 months to right the ship or bail. verizon still sticks around with the cocky attitude and it may just bite them in the ass as everyone else has caught up network wise in the last 6 years (as analog disappears shortly, that solid red coverage map is about to get some holes) but its all what works for each person. like you said sprint sservice sucks, there some hillbilly somewhere with no verizon service and good nextel signal saying verizon sucks, and someone in a college dorm saying they all suck and cricket is AWESOME!!!11

im a huge GSM fan, i carry a gsm and CDMA phone, but the cdma data service cant be matched, VZ just is too cocky/rip off customers than i can handle. if im gonna pay premium for phone and service, dont restrict my device capabilities.

[quote name='BengalsOwn' post='633685' date='Feb 19 2008, 05:49 PM']I'm surprised so many do not have a home phone.

well i wouldnt want to carry around a phone that no one calls either.. :mellow: j/k i cant stand the sound of a phone ringing. a home phone seems like lunacy, i havent had one in years.

[quote name='whodey319' post='633758' date='Feb 19 2008, 09:12 PM']they are severly overstating how many people dont have home phones, and dont forget the average age on this board is very low. I know 1 family off the top of my head that doesnt have a home phone.[/quote]

within the age range its not overstating, but overall your right, i have 2-3 friends with a home phone. and about 10 without. more than half the month is free calling, not to mention same network free calls, i dont use many minutes of the bucket allowed at all, and use around 2500 minutes a month.

PS: tmobile is launching $99 unlimited within a few days too...

Ha, TMobile. Their network only covers city limits. Sorry man, but you speak of lunacy. At least to me here in NY. Only AT&T and Verizon Wireless are major players up here. The other guys are just wanna-bes. Maybe it's different down that way, but ever since AT&T bought out Dobson Cellular, there's only 2 players.

[quote name='steggyD' post='633803' date='Feb 19 2008, 11:19 PM']Ha, TMobile. Their network only covers city limits. Sorry man, but you speak of lunacy. At least to me here in NY. Only AT&T and Verizon Wireless are major players up here. The other guys are just wanna-bes. Maybe it's different down that way, but ever since AT&T bought out Dobson Cellular, there's only 2 players.[/quote]

each area is different, the city limits comment is remotely true, they cover major living areas and major travel roads... but frankly im not going deer hunting in indy and need a phone there.. im not sure where i could even go and not have tmo service. ... i have never not has service with my tmo blackberry.. .ever... in my life...

It's not like I go deer hunting, but I live in a mountainous area. TMobile coverage just covers absolutely nothing. Not all of us live in the middle of metropolitan areas, such as myself. So for all of us who like to move around and not sit in a city, there's 2 networks to choose from ... VZW & AT&T.

[quote name='steggyD' post='633840' date='Feb 20 2008, 01:23 AM']It's not like I go deer hunting, but I live in a mountainous area. TMobile coverage just covers absolutely nothing. Not all of us live in the middle of metropolitan areas, such as myself. So for all of us who like to move around and not sit in a city, there's 2 networks to choose from ... VZW & AT&T.[/quote]

no one else see's irony in me living in ohio, you in NY, and you being the one complaining about remote, non metro wireless coverage...

nobody? ....

i pay $33/mo with tax a fees for 450 anytime minutes/unlimited night weekends starting at 7:00pm and unlimited data/text messages. -- sprint

/no home phone. Had one many years ago for internet and the only people that called me on it were telemarketers.

Archived