Darryl Blackstock

[quote name='EnglishBengal' post='641851' date='Mar 9 2008, 07:30 AM']Exactly. He's more of a SAM backer. That's what he played in Arizona.

AND TO EVERYONE WHO'S WONDERING WHY HE DIDN'T GET PLAYING TIME IN 'ZONA, IT WASN'T BECAUSE HE WASN'T GOOD ENOUGH. IT WAS BECAUSE THEY HAD ALREADY INVESTED MONEY IN A FIRST ROUND PICK BY THE NAME OF CALVIN PACE AND DIDN'T WANT HIS HEFTY SALARY AS A BACKUP PLAYER AT THE SAME POSITION. BY ALL ACCOUNTS, THE 'ZONA FANS SAID BLACKSTOCK SHOULD'VE GOT THE SLB JOB OVER PACE BECAUSE HE'D PERFORMED BETTER, BUT THE COACHES CHOSE PACE BECAUSE OF HIS SALARY AND BEING A HIGHER PICK.[/quote]

This post is complete BS. Pace sat on the bench most of his career in Arizona, and was even 3rd string for quite a while. So to say Pace only started because they were not willing to have a 1st round pick and a high salary guy on the bench is a completely made-up statement - because they showed that they were perfectly willing to have him sit. The only time they played him was when they had to due to injury.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='641838' date='Mar 9 2008, 10:41 AM']unless they want Blackstock to play WLB, I don't know that he influences a Rivers pick at all. If anything, he's effecting Jeanty and Henderson.[/quote]

wow i forgot about henderson...

brooks, thurman, henderson

backups: jones, jeanty, 3rd round pick

i like....

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641916' date='Mar 9 2008, 03:29 PM']wow i forgot about henderson...

brooks, thurman, henderson

backups: jones, jeanty, 3rd round pick

i like....[/quote]

I"m wondering if Henderson can be moved back to DE (provided blackstock is signed). He's about the same size as Geathers, but don't know what kind of arm length he has.

Where is Quaker when you need him?

So, go, you see Brooks playing outside instead of Thurman?

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='641923' date='Mar 9 2008, 02:43 PM']I"m wondering if Henderson can be moved back to DE (provided blackstock is signed). He's about the same size as Geathers, but don't know what kind of arm length he has.

Where is Quaker when you need him?

So, go, you see Brooks playing outside instead of Thurman?[/quote]

ah. no, that wasnt a purposeful lineup order, just listing names, brooks will stay inside, everyone seems to talk about him like he is jesus on defense, so he remains the leader inside..

so Thurman - Brooks - Henderson

i could totally dig that lineup, given everyone is healthy and ready to go...

with the

Geathers - JT/Myers - Peko - Odom

Hall - Ndukwe - dexjax/white/draft pick maybe - Oneal/jojo

not bad if healthy.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641927' date='Mar 9 2008, 02:53 PM']ah. no, that wasnt a purposeful lineup order, just listing names, brooks will stay inside, everyone seems to talk about him like he is jesus on defense, so he remains the leader inside..

so Thurman - Brooks - Henderson

i could totally dig that lineup, given everyone is healthy and ready to go...

with the

Geathers - JT/Myers - Peko - Odom

Hall - Ndukwe - dexjax/white/draft pick maybe - Oneal/jojo

not bad if healthy.[/quote]

nope, not bad if healthy though it would look even better with depth in Pollack (DE), Blackstock (SLB), and Robertson or Ellis next to Peko, and maybe another DE to hedge against a Rucker injury (with rucker becoming the tweener).

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='641930' date='Mar 9 2008, 02:57 PM']nope, not bad if healthy though it would look even better with depth in Pollack (DE), Blackstock (SLB), and Robertson or Ellis next to Peko, and maybe another DE to hedge against a Rucker injury (with rucker becoming the tweener).[/quote]

or robertson AND ellis...with peko getting significant time giving each a blow. do that, and we're ready to compete!

[quote name='bengaled' post='641953' date='Mar 9 2008, 05:21 PM']or robertson AND ellis...with peko getting significant time giving each a blow. do that, and we're ready to compete![/quote]

I know you want both, and most of us would agree, but I highly doubt it happens. If we get Robertson before the draft, we won't get Ellis unless he drops to 9 which is unlikely. We also won't trade up if we already have Robertson. Further, if we get Ellis in the draft, we won't go after Robertson if he is cut June 1st.

[quote name='bengaled' post='641953' date='Mar 9 2008, 04:21 PM']or robertson AND ellis...with peko getting significant time giving each a blow. do that, and we're ready to compete![/quote]

I vote yes to that, too. Making the playoffs starts on the front line. It could happen!

It really does look like Marvin's following through on his "blow the thing up" comments.

He hires a pretty bright mind in Mike Zimmer, who does have a rep of turning a bunch of spare parts into a decent defense. Also has experience in running both a 3-4 and a 4-3, and possibly any other front that would tangent off those concepts.

Zimmer went out and got a reputable LB coach in Jeff FitzGerald from the Ravens, and we have seen how those guys have performed on Baltimore's defense, and Ray isn't even half as dominant as he was in 2000.

Not many moves in free agency. We did sign Antwan Odom to a pretty good contract. Hopefully he is starting to put it all together and will enter his prime with us. He is also quite similar to Geathers in dimentions and athleticism. Obviously, the Bengals are looking for a younger alternative to JT in the middle to pair with Peko. They are pretty high on Fanane and Rucker, why, I don't know.

It is starting to look like our secondary is coming together. We have two corners who I feel can do well in man coverage, we have two promising young guys at the safety spots that look like the real deal, and hopefully a backup veteran that can tutor those two on the finer points of safety play, whether it be Dexter or someone else.

Our LB corps has gotten huge. With the exception of Odell, their isn't a single LB that is under 240 lbs. We have 3 LBs that are essentially DEs that can stand up, so that can add some exoticism to the defense. I think that the coaching staff wants our defense to be capable of multiple looks, whether it's 4-3, 3-4, 1-6, 2-5, whatever. And it looks like we are trying to add another piece in yet another versatile LB in that Blackstock fella. Also, not only are our guys big, they can run pretty good. And the fact that our scheme is supposed to be more aggressive should be a tonic for our guys that play much better coming downhill than playing in coverage.

We could be making a transition to a 3-4 defense, which, despite the issues on the D-Line, would fit our personnel so much better, simply from a talent standpoint and the type of playesr that we have.

The media thinks the Bengals are dragging their feet in free agency...Some of you on this board think likewise..
You havent taken into consideration the impact a healthy bunch of players will make on the defensive side of the ball..
If you never had them last year and you get them all back then its like addition ..no?

Brooks, Henderson, Thurman all back....Keith Rivers will more than likely be drafted if a tackle isnt there in round one and thats a big plus as
he can play all three positions.....he's good in coverage and thats what I like in a backer aside frojm his tackling abiility..

A healthy Bluto and possibly Willie along with Levi coming to camp in one piece adds to the offense.
Chris Perry back ....

Thats a hell of alot of players back... bettter than drafting one 380lb fatass that will blow his knees or heart out carrying all that flab.

Team is in good shape and with a solid draft will contend.... make no mistake about it.

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='642202' date='Mar 10 2008, 02:05 PM']Our LB corps has gotten huge. With the exception of Odell, their isn't a single LB that is under 240 lbs. We have 3 LBs that are essentially DEs that can stand up, so that can add some exoticism to the defense. I think that the coaching staff wants our defense to be capable of multiple looks, whether it's 4-3, 3-4, 1-6, 2-5, whatever. And it looks like we are trying to add another piece in yet another versatile LB in that Blackstock fella. Also, not only are our guys big, they can run pretty good. And the fact that our scheme is supposed to be more aggressive should be a tonic for our guys that play much better coming downhill than playing in coverage.[/quote]

that's my favorite part. Big, physical LB's.

^^^^^^^^

I know, don't it jsut give you chills? And some of them are gonna be on special teams.

Imagine having 3 or 4 245+ pound LBs running at you full speed and you're a kick or punt returner. Unless you're Devin Hester, that would have to have you shitting yourself. :o

It's fitting though, everyone in our divison adapted to our high-flying offense by either getting a offense of their own or getting better cover men and rushers. It's time for us to adapt to everyone having a big back like 2003-2005 Rudi J. Can't wait to see it. Hope that everyone stays healthy though.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='641978' date='Mar 9 2008, 06:14 PM']I know you want both, and most of us would agree, but I highly doubt it happens. If we get Robertson before the draft, we won't get Ellis unless he drops to 9 which is unlikely. We also won't trade up if we already have Robertson. Further, if we get Ellis in the draft, we won't go after Robertson if he is cut June 1st.[/quote]

spot on, bro. never said i didn't think outside the box.

then again, when you examine "the box". :lol:

[quote name='claptonrocks' post='642206' date='Mar 10 2008, 02:15 PM']The media thinks the Bengals are dragging their feet in free agency...Some of you on this board think likewise..
You havent taken into consideration the impact a healthy bunch of players will make on the defensive side of the ball..
If you never had them last year and you get them all back then its like addition ..no?

Brooks, Henderson, Thurman all back....Keith Rivers will more than likely be drafted if a tackle isnt there in round one and thats a big plus as
he can play all three positions.....he's good in coverage and thats what I like in a backer aside frojm his tackling abiility..

A healthy Bluto and possibly Willie along with Levi coming to camp in one piece adds to the offense.
Chris Perry back ....

Thats a hell of alot of players back... bettter than drafting one 380lb fatass that will blow his knees or heart out carrying all that flab.

[b]Team is in good shape and with a solid draft will contend.... make no mistake about it.[/b][/quote]

The fact is that with a QB like Palmer and an offense like the Bengals have, there only needs to be a reasonable defense on the field for them to be in the playoffs ever year.

In reality, they are alot like the Colts at key positions. They are not stacked on defense either but they make do with what they got through great coaching. Yes, they have a couple stars on defense but its largely waiver fodder and late picks plugged into the starting positions.

Cincinnati should be very competitive with only a middle of the pack defense........even though we all want a top defense :)

[quote name='DanvilleBengal' post='642202' date='Mar 10 2008, 02:05 PM']It really does look like Marvin's following through on his "blow the thing up" comments.

He hires a pretty bright mind in Mike Zimmer, who does have a rep of turning a bunch of spare parts into a decent defense. Also has experience in running both a 3-4 and a 4-3, and possibly any other front that would tangent off those concepts.

Zimmer went out and got a reputable LB coach in Jeff FitzGerald from the Ravens, and we have seen how those guys have performed on Baltimore's defense, and Ray isn't even half as dominant as he was in 2000.

Not many moves in free agency. We did sign Antwan Odom to a pretty good contract. Hopefully he is starting to put it all together and will enter his prime with us. He is also quite similar to Geathers in dimentions and athleticism. Obviously, the Bengals are looking for a younger alternative to JT in the middle to pair with Peko. They are pretty high on Fanane and Rucker, why, I don't know.

It is starting to look like our secondary is coming together. We have two corners who I feel can do well in man coverage, we have two promising young guys at the safety spots that look like the real deal, and hopefully a backup veteran that can tutor those two on the finer points of safety play, whether it be Dexter or someone else.

Our LB corps has gotten huge. With the exception of Odell, their isn't a single LB that is under 240 lbs. We have 3 LBs that are essentially DEs that can stand up, so that can add some exoticism to the defense. I think that the coaching staff wants our defense to be capable of multiple looks, whether it's 4-3, 3-4, 1-6, 2-5, whatever. And it looks like we are trying to add another piece in yet another versatile LB in that Blackstock fella. Also, not only are our guys big, they can run pretty good. And the fact that our scheme is supposed to be more aggressive should be a tonic for our guys that play much better coming downhill than playing in coverage.

We could be making a transition to a 3-4 defense, which, despite the issues on the D-Line, would fit our personnel so much better, simply from a talent standpoint and the type of playesr that we have.[/quote]

damn bro, i was with you all the way, clapping my hands and all that good shit....until you mentioned that 3-4 issue. bottom line, we have the athletes...we don't have the pork. you've got to have those smash mouth guys up front or forget it...slobberknockers, not finesse guys. get them and i'll come on board.

[quote name='bengaled' post='642371' date='Mar 10 2008, 07:47 PM']damn bro, i was with you all the way, clapping my hands and all that good shit....until you mentioned that 3-4 issue. bottom line, we have the athletes...we don't have the pork. you've got to have those smash mouth guys up front or forget it...slobberknockers, not finesse guys. get them and i'll come on board.[/quote]

A with a chip on his shoulder odell thurman will be that smasmouth guy.I always picturised him as our Ray lewis and he was in his rookie year.He is that piece that brings swagger to our defense. Aa LB corp of ODELL-FREAKING BROOKS-KEITH RIVERS manning the middle. I bet yaa any RB & TE will fear to go over the middle. Just somethings will have to fall in place -_-

Archived