Darryl Blackstock

This would be a very good pickup, IMO. I was impressed with Blackstock the handful of times I saw him play last year.

[quote]Bengals like LB Blackstock
Today, March 08, 2008, 59 minutes ago | Mark
Division rivals Cincinnati and Cleveland are in the hunt to sign Arizona outside linebacker Darryl Blackstock, a restricted free agent with the Arizona Cardinals, a source told The Enquirer late Friday night. He was a 2005 third-round pick from the University of Virginia, but the Cardinals declined to give him a qualifying offer as a restricted free agent, so the Cardinals are not entitled to match any offer he would receive and would not get draft-pick compensation from a new team.

The Bengals lost starting linebacker Landon Johnson to the Carolina Panthers on Friday. Johnson agreed to terms on a three-year deal for $10 million.

Blackstock is 6 feet, 3 inches, 244 pounds, and he is listed as an outside linebacker. He has played in 44 games over three seasons with one start. In 2007, he played in all 16 games for Arizona with no starts. He had 21 total tackles, three sacks and one forced fumble.

Miami also was interested, but Blackstock is most interested in the Bengals and Browns at this point.

Bengals public relations also confirmed a visit by former Colts and Bills defensive tackle Larry Tripplett.[/quote]

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641569' date='Mar 8 2008, 10:39 AM']why would arizona not even give him a qualifying offer...[/quote]
They are switching to a 3-4 and he's not a good fit. Which is funny because the Browns are trying to sign him :lol:

They sign anybody, regardless of fit in the scheme

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641569' date='Mar 8 2008, 10:39 AM']why would arizona not even give him a qualifying offer...[/quote]

He was buried behind Dansby and Pace, and from a couple of Az fans I know, they thought he should've got to start. He also left Virginia a year early and still is on his way up.

the same reason we didnt to tab perry? get him cheaper? idk. when ive seen blackstock i thought he was solid. he is more of a backup and good special teamer, but we could use upgrading that depth.

I know this is hard to believe but sometimes one man's garbage can be another man's treasure. Just ask the Falcons about Brett Favre.......

Besides, he had a half less sack than Justin Smith in a reserve role. :lol:

I see it like this, before this year Blackstock and Pace were both underachievers and behind Chike Okeafor at Az.
Okeafore got hurt and these two guys were after the starters position. From what I understand, once again this is hearsay from friends, Blackstock deserved the start but Pace was the first round pick and was given the shot.

Turned out great for Pace, and maybe that's all Blackstock needs... a shot.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641569' date='Mar 8 2008, 08:39 AM']why would arizona not even give him a qualifying offer...[/quote]

Because he has sucked his entire career here. They had high hopes for him, but they consider him an absolute bust - one of the bigger ones they've had - which is saying a lot for the Cardinals. The general consensus is he's a total stiff.

But I haven't seen enough of him to make that judgement - mostly because he hasn't been good enoughto get on the field at all. but he was pretty highly rated coming out of college so who knows?

A total stiff? I doubt it. The Bengals need a strong side linebacker. He's big enough. Like most of you, though, I haven't seen enough to make a real judgment. What the Bengals need is a linebacker that's better at the point of attack than Landon Johnson was.

Cleveland's interest shouldn't be surprising. They've contacted everyone with a pulse this offseason.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='641569' date='Mar 8 2008, 09:39 AM']why would arizona not even give him a qualifying offer...[/quote]
I saw Clayton talking about Fitzgerald's contract situation this morning and he reported that the Cards have absolutely zero cap room right now. Maybe that had something to do with it. Just a guess.

I would like to see what this guy can do, he is still young and has good size.

I think regardless of our personal opinions on certain players it is pretty obvious they are trying to remake this defense and Marvin saying "blow it up" actually seems to be happening.

They have signed Odom and have had visits from or shown interest in Calvin Pace, Ethan Kelley, Marlon McCree, Larry Tripplett, Shaun Rogers, Eugene Wilson and Dewayne Robertson. I know they have only signed 1 player but Pace got overpaid, McCree has an existing relationship with the Buffalo D-Co. and we dont really need to get into the Rogers and Robertson shit again.

This defense has ben no better than 27th in the league the last 3 years and the only way we are going to know if its the coaches is if they really change who the players are.

There are still solid players out there and I think the "dust" is settleing and we may sign a few guys in the coming days.

[quote name='TecmoBengal9' post='641575' date='Mar 8 2008, 10:47 AM']I forget how does he compare to Landon in size...I could see him as a good Landon replacement.[/quote]
dhani is going to play the landon role for the next couple years. move the guy around, look for someone better the entire time.

It cant be good when you are a 3rd round draft pick and dont get an offer from you team . It would of cost the Cardinals about 1 mil which isnt shit, they must think he is a terrible fit in the 3-4 which is what he played in college. Whats up with the Stains everybody we talk to they have to get involved? I guess I would sign this guy but dont expect him to be your starter . Keith Rivers might be a slight reach at #9 but dude is 6-2 241 with about 4% body fat and played at SC for 4 years. He is the perfect 4-3 ROLB that we need. BUt if one of the big four drop then we must take them.

[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='641620' date='Mar 8 2008, 12:46 PM']Keith Rivers might be a slight reach at #9 but dude is 6-2 241 with about 4% body fat and played at SC for 4 years. He is the perfect 4-3 ROLB that we need. BUt if one of the big four drop then we must take them.[/quote]

I hear that...Rivers might not have the same upside as some of the others, but he looks like the closest thing to a 'lock' as far as leadership and production for the next 5 years.

As far as Landon goes, I really think Dhani opened their eyes last year - because of his ability to be a leader and execute. I wouldn't be surprised to see him out there with Thurman and Brooks - handling the heavy math and directing traffic so they can run free and make plays.

BZ

[quote name='SoCal.BengalFan' post='641620' date='Mar 8 2008, 12:46 PM']It cant be good when you are a 3rd round draft pick and dont get an offer from you team . It would of cost the Cardinals about 1 mil which isnt shit, they must think he is a terrible fit in the 3-4 which is what he played in college. Whats up with the Stains everybody we talk to they have to get involved? I guess I would sign this guy but dont expect him to be your starter . Keith Rivers might be a slight reach at #9 but dude is 6-2 241 with about 4% body fat and played at SC for 4 years. He is the perfect 4-3 ROLB that we need. BUt if one of the big four drop then we must take them.[/quote]

I don't know about Blackstock. We already have a guy exactly like him in Ahmad Brooks. Both were fairly high draft picks and have shown nothing more than flashes due to injuries. His injury history makes him a risk which I don't really see the point in taking.

I agree about Keith Rivers. He may have somewhat limited upside, but I see very little chance that he busts. He's a perfect WLB and he could play any of the spots if needed.

[quote name='akiliMVP' post='641571' date='Mar 8 2008, 10:41 AM']They are switching to a 3-4 and he's not a good fit. Which is funny because the Browns are trying to sign him :lol:

They sign anybody, regardless of fit in the scheme[/quote]

yeah, it makes you wonder if they're considering a scheme change. it doesn't seem likely with crennel, but you never know. they picked up the 2 quality tackles, both of whom have always seemed to be a better fit in a 4-3, and now are interested in blackstock, who fits better in a 4-3. i guess only time will tell.

Archived