Boldin pulls a "Chad"

[quote name='BENGALS666' post='655530' date='Apr 23 2008, 02:49 AM'][url="http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d807ea17e&template=with-video&confirm=true"]Boldin wants trade - per NFL.com[/url]

This flu must be catching.[/quote]

Yeah, that common bug know as Drew-us Rosenhousicus! Extremly contagious, and common among spoiled football stars!

I think that the owners are going to have to address this issue for the next CBA. What in the fuck good are contracts if they are so easily voided? If the cap keeps going up and up, how many more players are going to demand more money while still under contract? Especially in a situation like this one. Player A just got a new contract and is making more than Player B. Player B feels he is as good or better than player A, but is still under the terms of his old contract. So now Player B is whining for a new contract, and agents like Drew Rosenhaus (whom get roughly 10% of every contract) are encouraging them to be malcontents to force a trade or a new contract.

Where does this stop? The TO model has been proven to pay off, and now Chad, Boldin and soon to be others are going to go for this behavior.

It's complete bullshit. Honor your contract or don't sign the fucking thing.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='655535' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:57 PM']I think that the owners are going to have to address this issue for the next CBA. What in the fuck good are contracts if they are so easily voided? If the cap keeps going up and up, how many more players are going to demand more money while still under contract? Especially in a situation like this one. Player A just got a new contract and is making more than Player B. Player B feels he is as good or better than player A, but is still under the terms of his old contract. So now Player B is whining for a new contract, and agents like Drew Rosenhaus (whom get roughly 10% of every contract) are encouraging them to be malcontents to force a trade or a new contract.

Where does this stop? The TO model has been proven to pay off, and now Chad, Boldin and soon to be others are going to go for this behavior.

[b]It's complete bullshit. Honor your contract or don't sign the fucking thing.[/b][/quote]

X2.

And spare me the "its not fair owners can dump players who have a contract". That's one of the perks of being the boss, and is offset by signing bonuses. No one with a big contract is hurting for money unless they've pissed it away on their own.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='655546' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:11 PM']X2.

And spare me the "its not fair owners can dump players who have a contract". That's one of the perks of being the boss, and is offset by signing bonuses. No one with a big contract is hurting for money unless they've pissed it away on their own.[/quote]
That's true but what I was trying to say in my previous post as to "Why can't the players just not honor their contracts, the owners dump them all the time while under contract" is that contracts in the NFL are structured in a way that allows for that. If a player really wants to play for a team that drafted him and intends to fulfill his contract, then you don't sign one that gives the owners such an out on your deal.

Contracts ARE legally binding documents.

[quote name='Bunghole' post='655549' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:17 PM']That's true but what I was trying to say in my previous post as to "Why can't the players just not honor their contracts, the owners dump them all the time while under contract" is that contracts in the NFL are structured in a way that allows for that. If a player really wants to play for a team that drafted him and intends to fulfill his contract, then you don't sign one that gives the owners such an out on your deal.

Contracts ARE legally binding documents.[/quote]

my lower comments weren't meant to reference your post. Just general commentary. B)

[quote name='Bunghole' post='655549' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:17 PM']That's true but what I was trying to say in my previous post as to "Why can't the players just not honor their contracts, the owners dump them all the time while under contract" is that contracts in the NFL are structured in a way that allows for that. If a player really wants to play for a team that drafted him and intends to fulfill his contract, then you don't sign one that gives the owners such an out on your deal.

Contracts ARE legally binding documents.[/quote]

if the other side were fair i think you would have a point, the teams can cut players in mid contract too.. lets quit the BS games of back loaded fake deals players will never see and the i want more BS, make contracts guaranteed. that will even things up REAL quick.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='655554' date='Apr 22 2008, 10:24 PM']if the other side were fair i think you would have a point, the teams can cut players in mid contract too.. lets quit the BS games of back loaded fake deals players will never see and the i want more BS, make contracts guaranteed. that will even things up REAL quick.[/quote]

Excellent. It'll never happen though because both sides like the look of "fantasy" contracts.

Yes, AHEM I have the Solution!

As usual, I attribute the sad state of affairs in sports to that morally corrupt sensational sports channel called espn . . .

IF THE DETAILS OF THE CONTRACTS WERE KEPT SECRET or confidential, and not blasted all over the place.

WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS BULLSHIT.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be anyway? Joe blow at abc doesn't know what phill smith at xyz makes.

It's quite fucked up, you got joe blow making 50 gs working his ass off to feed his family, and ESPN pastes the enormous numbers and contract details of everyones business across thier ticker.

Hey Jake Long is getting 30 million BUCKS guranteed, straight out of college, for PLAYING A GAME . . . hows that make you feel mr. working class guy?

GET A FUCKING CLUE MORONS!!! There is not one positive thing that happens as a result of ESPN or even the NFL channel practicing this stupidity.

F*(*& YOU YOU PIECE OF C55T CRAPPY S^&TTY ALL THATS WRONG WITH AMERICA SPORTS CHANNEL!

can you tell that I don't like espn?

[quote name='The Scales' post='655706' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:21 AM']Yes, AHEM I have the Solution!

As usual, I attribute the sad state of affairs in sports to that morally corrupt sensational sports channel called espn . . .

IF THE DETAILS OF THE CONTRACTS WERE KEPT SECRET or confidential, and not blasted all over the place.

WE WOULDN'T HAVE THIS BULLSHIT.

Isn't that the way it's supposed to be anyway? Joe blow at abc doesn't know what phill smith at xyz makes.

It's quite fucked up, you got joe blow making 50 gs working his ass off to feed his family, and ESPN pastes the enormous numbers and contract details of everyones business across thier ticker.

Hey Jake Long is getting 30 million BUCKS guranteed, straight out of college, for PLAYING A GAME . . . hows that make you feel mr. working class guy?

GET A FUCKING CLUE MORONS!!! There is not one positive thing that happens as a result of ESPN or even the NFL channel practicing this stupidity.

F*(*& YOU YOU PIECE OF C55T CRAPPY S^&TTY ALL THATS WRONG WITH AMERICA SPORTS CHANNEL!

can you tell that I don't like espn?[/quote]

However, someone gave ESPN and other news outlets the information. I they didn't have it, they couldn't report it.

[quote name='cwing' post='655712' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:33 AM']However, someone gave ESPN and other news outlets the information. I they didn't have it, they couldn't report it.[/quote]

I wonder who. I doubt it was washington, as they wouldn't want other teams to know what they've offered so far.

[quote name='cwing' post='655712' date='Apr 23 2008, 09:33 AM']However, someone gave ESPN and other news outlets the information. I they didn't have it, they couldn't report it.[/quote]

This may be true, or maybe it's like public domain or part of the CBA or something, like this stuff has to be disclosed...i dunno.

But does it do any good?

Is it News?

Does Espn HAVE to run this crap?

and again Does it do any good?

The union discloses the salaries to ensure that players can find a comparable performer being paid more when they go to ask for a raise. I don't have a problem with players knowing what each other are making, it makes the market fairer and more efficient.

The problem here is Larry Fitzgerald's rookie deal was ridiculous and other receivers want to model their contracts after his revised deal. Fitzgerald hit every escalator in his rookie deal and would have cost 16 mil this season. Arizona had to redo his deal so they gave him the 4 year/40Mil deal which everyone else is pretending was an open market deal.

[quote name='GoBengals' post='655554' date='Apr 22 2008, 11:24 PM']if the other side were fair i think you would have a point, the teams can cut players in mid contract too.. lets quit the BS games of back loaded fake deals players will never see and the i want more BS, make contracts guaranteed. that will even things up REAL quick.[/quote]
WhileI agree something needs to be done, I dont agree that guaranteeing all contracts is the answer. If the league were to do that then what is the guarantee for the owners that the players have incentive to play to the best of their ability? (NFL would turn into MLB guys like Adrain Beltre for example. play well during contract year, get paid millions, then take it easy) I believe with the current system of the contracts being not guaranteed it forces the players to play to the best of their ability.

I believe the real problem lies with the players here. The players sign these multi year contracts because they want "security". But basically they want multi year deals because the signing bonus is larger in those contracts. Its kinda like the players want the best of both worlds here. You cant sign a 5 year deal, then in year 3 or 4 still expect to be one of the highest paid at your position, it just doesnt work that way. So, I see why the players claim they want "security" by signing a long term deal, but really is there security in any NFL contract? Therefore the players would actually be smarter to sign 2 year contracts with a max of maybe 3 years, therefore they will be able to stay among the highest paid at there position consistantly (if thats what they care about).

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='655776' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:46 AM']What am I .... a Doctor?[/quote]

man I hope not.

You're the genius who wants to trade one big salary for another, both of which would hit our cap. Put your money where your mouth is and back up your idea.

[quote name='Bengals1181' post='655778' date='Apr 23 2008, 11:48 AM']man I hope not.

You're the genius who wants to trade one big salary for another, both of which would hit our cap. Put your money where your mouth is and back up your idea.[/quote]
Dude. Who Cares. It was a 6 word sentence that meant nothing. You act like the decision is up to me, or that anything said here hold weight.

All I meant is .... F- Chad trade him to the Cardinals who will never win like he wants to. Big name for a big name, should be a wash

[quote name='WhoDeyThink' post='655787' date='Apr 23 2008, 10:57 AM']Dude. Who Cares. It was a 6 word sentence that meant nothing. You act like the decision is up to me, or that anything said here hold weight.

All I meant is .... F- Chad trade him to the Cardinals who will never win like he wants to. Big name for a big name, should be a wash[/quote]

in other words you agree it is a bad idea. :lol:

Archived